Delhi 2010

In 1980's Queensland under Sir Joh Bjelke Peterson's regime it was illegal for ANYONE to stage a protest. My entire criminal record is from being a student in Brissy causing mischief and breaking his draconian laws!

I forgot they were in the Bjelke era. Of course!

I've never lived in Brissie but have lots of Qld friend and family connections - the stories I've heard, about things like being hassled by the cops for things like wearing black t-shirts and leather jackets. And what was the old deal? Any group of more than three could be classified an illegal crowd? Wonderful times, when Qld was trying to be like Mississippi Down Under.

Let's be honest Rols - slap some cover up for the roof, the seating structure is underway - they'd have to have the pool pit dug to have the stands in. The plumbing will be ready to go by this point - and they have 14/15 odd months.

You'd hope to see more done but this reminds me a bit of Athens at this stage. The Indians will throw big money at it plus they have a huge work force to get it all done in time.

The last thing I'm worried about is venues. The budget is shot to helll, there wont be nearly enough hotel rooms and the ticketing programme is currently non-existant. They are more worrisome.

I forgot they were in the Bjelke era. Of course!

I've never lived in Brissie but have lots of Qld friend and family connections - the stories I've heard, about things like being hassled by the cops for things like wearing black t-shirts and leather jackets. And what was the old deal? Any group of more than three could be classified an illegal crowd? Wonderful times, when Qld was trying to be like Mississippi Down Under.

Ah memories... hahaha! Yep - any gathering of four or more people was classified as illegal.

I wrote for my Uni paper at the time (around 84/85) and my home was constantly getting raided. Of course living in student housing in East Brissy was asking for trouble!

Edited by thatsnotmypuppy

In 1980's Queensland under Sir Joh Bjelke Peterson's regime it was illegal for ANYONE to stage a protest. My entire criminal record is from being a student in Brissy causing mischief and breaking his draconian laws!

We have the same thing here. The only exception is the Speaker's corner in downtown.

Holding of major events before CWG annoys Gill

New Delhi, Aug 29 (PTI) Sports Minister M S Gill today lashed out at national Federations for overburdening the government by hosting mega events, such as hockey World Cup and shooting World Cup ahead of next year's Commonwealth Games.

"We are hosting the hockey World Cup, the shooting World Cup, a four-nation hockey tournament early next year before the Commonwealth Games but these events could have been avoided till the Games," Gill said at a function to mark hockey legend Major Dhyanchand's birthday, celebrated as National Sports Day.

"I am not against test events but the Commonwealth Games is a huge burden and bringing more world events into the country is not sensible.

"I have seen all over the world the test events hardly have any significance. These are just to check whether the doors, timers of the stadiums are working.

Press Trust of India

So these test events are to see if the doors open or not ....

This guy is sports minister???????

Sigh, I supposed the poor guy's feeling beseigned and havin a tough time of it lately.

Edited by Sir Roltel

• 2 weeks later...
So these test events are to see if the doors open or not ....

This guy is sports minister???????

Sigh, I supposed the poor guy's feeling beseigned and havin a tough time of it lately.

Problem for this guy is the government and LOC have basically put him in this situation to begin with. No other place on earth can I say, from personal experience , makes such a fine art of passing the buck of responsibility to other places . Bangalore Techs I worked with for Microsoft would always duck and hide from calls hoping the call would be shifted to Canada.

Yeah this guy should feel beseigned but generally speaking if you can't get it done in the capital of the nation then the country certainly has some problems.

The thing I see with Test Events in regards to Manchester 2002 was that they held for Athletics a Localized Test Event that had amatuer Athletics from across the UK as opposed to a world Championships that field hockey seems to be on tap for in New Delhi. Test events should really about testing your support systems , volunteers and operational aspects to Id problems to be fixed before the big show. Really a World Championships for a test Event seems a bit much and would it not itself require a test event ???? LOL.

jim jones

Let's be honest Rols - slap some cover up for the roof, the seating structure is underway - they'd have to have the pool pit dug to have the stands in. The plumbing will be ready to go by this point - and they have 14/15 odd months.

You'd hope to see more done but this reminds me a bit of Athens at this stage. The Indians will throw big money at it plus they have a huge work force to get it all done in time.

The last thing I'm worried about is venues. The budget is shot to helll, there wont be nearly enough hotel rooms and the ticketing programme is currently non-existant. They are more worrisome.

Yes it is a real worry. I am also concerned about security

I agree. Delhi is a bit behind schedule. To make things worse, the Indian Olympic Commitee has been bring too many test events for the venues which actually makes it a bigger rush to complete the venues on time. By the way, does anyone know the progress in the upgrading of the Jawaharlal Nehru Stadium ?

Even Fennel's waving the Yellow Card now:

Commonwealth Games Federation chief Michael Fennell has warned New Delhi that delays in its preparations for the 2010 Games are putting the success of next year's event in jeopardy.

Fennell was reported by the Press Trust of India on Sunday to have written to Suresh Kalmadi, chairman of the local organizing committee, saying: "I'm looking forward to some urgent actions in order to bring about the successful celebration of the games in 2010."

He added: "Our concerns are such that unless there is significant change in the management culture and operation of the organizing committee these Games will fail from an operational perspective."

His fears reflects a CGF report which predicted a partial failure of the event scheduled for Oct. 3-14, as most venues are lagging behind construction deadlines. The report said it was "reasonable to conclude that the current situation poses a serious risk to the Commonwealth Games in 2010."

Fennell wrote: "The CGF is extremely worried about the organizing committee's ability to deliver the games to any comparable standard to that of the last two editions of the Games in Manchester and Melbourne."

The CGF chief hopes to discuss the delays with Indian Prime Minister Manmohan Singh during a visit to New Delhi next month for the federation's general assembly.

"With only a year to run until the games, I feel I must personally brief the Prime Minister of India on the lack of preparations and to seek his input in developing an appropriate recovery plan," Fennell wrote.

"The government of India has committed significant resources toward the operational delivery of the games ... It would be irresponsible and negligent of the federation not to share its concerns openly with the government."

The games are set to be the biggest multiple-sport event staged in India since the 1982 Asian Games. They feature 71 nations and territories that comprised or were linked to the old British empire.

AP

Commonwealth Games at 'serious risk'

* Email

* Printer friendly version

* Normal font

* Large font

Matt Wade Herald Correspondent in New Delhi

September 15, 2009

Advertisement

THE image of the Commonwealth Games, boosted when Melbourne staged a glittering event in 2006, could be trashed in Delhi next year, the top Games official warns.

The head of the London-based Commonwealth Games Federation, Michael Fennell, has sent a stinging letter to the committee organising the Delhi Games saying chaotic preparations have put the Commonwealth Games brand at ''serious risk.''

In a sign the federation is losing confidence in Delhi organisers, Mr Fennell demanded an urgent meeting with the Indian Prime Minister, Manmohan Singh, to enlist his help with a ''recovery plan'' for the Delhi Games scheduled for October next year.

Mr Fennell warned that unless the management culture and operation of the organising committee improved significantly the ''Games will fail from an operational perspective''.

He has also questioned the apparent reluctance by organisers to recruit experience from overseas to help stage the Games.

''Our main concern relates to the capacity of the organising committee to deliver operationally,'' he wrote.

''Preparations for the Games are significantly behind, so much so that the Commonwealth Games Federation is extremely worried about the organising committee's ability to deliver the Games to any comparable standard to that of the last two editions of the Games in Manchester and Melbourne.''

Last month a leaked report by India's leading financial auditor found that construction on 13 of 19 venues was behind schedule. It found that just 2 per cent of the required work had been done on some training facilities by June.

But organisers in Delhi insist there is no reason to worry.

''I personally feel that things are under control,'' the secretary-general of the 2010 Commonwealth Organising Committee, Lalit Bhanot, told the Herald.

''We are intent on delivering the best-ever games.''

Mr Bhanot stopped short of dismissing Mr Fennell's concerns but said he ''may not have received our latest information''.

Organisers would arrange for Mr Fennell to meet with Mr Singh next month, he said.

the CWG federation can moan and moan and moan but they took the risk with Delhi and they need to ensure that they mitigate those risks.

its a bit too late to be complaining and an organizing committee structure/delivery.

Any sane person would have realized this years ago and would have sent in some top CWG federation officials and "organizers" to help run the show.

you cant keep sugar coating progress when there are like 10 workers working at venues which are months behind schedule.

No - they'll get around to doing that in 2011.

My thoughts were 2012.

It is a real worry really. Does anyone know whether Melbourne has been put on notice or there are other contingency plans in place if Delhi is unable to host the games.

There was talk of Melbourne stepping in - the State Government has both said it would be impossible to find accommodation for the athletes as the Parkville CG Village is now fully occupied. However if push comes to shove there could be a solution found - I find it highly unlikely though. Ticketing would need to be organised, customs, blah blah blah. Melbourne could offer to step in but to host them in 2011.

By saying that if they were to be stripped from Delhi I'd imagine Kuala Lumpur would put their hand up or the CGF would simply cancel them and we'd see what happens in 2014.

Edited by thatsnotmypuppy

There was talk of Melbourne stepping in - the State Government has both said it would be impossible to find accommodation for the athletes as the Parkville CG Village is now fully occupied. However if push comes to shove there could be a solution found - I find it highly unlikely though. Ticketing would need to be organised, customs, blah blah blah. Melbourne could offer to step in but to host them in 2011.

By saying that if they were to be stripped from Delhi I'd imagine Kuala Lumpur would put their hand up or the CGF would simply cancel them and we'd see what happens in 2014.

What kind of likely do you think this will happen?

Do KL have the infrastructure to step in at the last minute?

My thoughts were 2012.

It is a real worry really. Does anyone know whether Melbourne has been put on notice or there are other contingency plans in place if Delhi is unable to host the games.

yes there is a backup but its not melbourne for now. first option would be to delay the games.

Its more than just venues. A stadium on its own as a physical structure needs to be operated, transport needs to be organized, people need to be in the right places.

the CWG federation can moan and moan and moan but they took the risk with Delhi and they need to ensure that they mitigate those risks.

its a bit too late to be complaining and an organizing committee structure/delivery.

Any sane person would have realized this years ago and would have sent in some top CWG federation officials and "organizers" to help run the show.

you cant keep sugar coating progress when there are like 10 workers working at venues which are months behind schedule.

From the various articles I have read, I get the impression that some of the problems are due to the fact that Delhi is refusing outside help and so in facing immense pressures!

If this outside help was channeled through the CWG Federation it would be a slightly different story.

One would assume that the CWG big wigs have all the organizational experience. So send in your own team well before things actually get tricky.

Take over key operational/organizational areas. Let the host city focus on the major infrastructure.

Run the ticketing, overlay, communications, admin etc.

Make the state government fund this contingency plan by threatening to send the Games to Melbourne

yes there is a backup but its not melbourne for now. first option would be to delay the games.

Its more than just venues. A stadium on its own as a physical structure needs to be operated, transport needs to be organized, people need to be in the right places.

Melbourne has categorically said no to a possible 2010 CG. There was talk that if they were to be delayed until 2011 there was hope we could step in if necesary - however the CGF was very hesitant to even accept that as an option. Personally I think the Games will go on in India - however the question is will they be staged in October 2010 still?

Mo - I agree that the CGF (and the IOC) should have a team in place that can go in and take over the logistics side of organising the Games - and leave the capital works and base infrastructure to the locals. A "super team" of advisors if you will. Oh CGF - I am available with 8 weeks notice! Ha!

I wonder what the attendance would be like for the athletes if the games were pushed in 2011. Because for Canada and the Caribbean will have the Pan American games, the Africans will have the All-African Games, there will be all the major world championships that year and many athletes will take an extended off-season so better prepare for the Olympic year.

So you might wind up with a lot of second tier athletes instead of the general top level talent that normally gets sent.

I wonder what the attendance would be like for the athletes if the games were pushed in 2011. Because for Canada and the Caribbean will have the Pan American games, the Africans will have the All-African Games, there will be all the major world championships that year and many athletes will take an extended off-season so better prepare for the Olympic year.

So you might wind up with a lot of second tier athletes instead of the general top level talent that normally gets sent.

That's a good point!

In 2011 the big competition is the world athletics championships - do you think Usain Bolt etc will sacrifice a world championship gold for a commonwealth gold medal? Highly unlikely.

I still have faith though that things will be sufficient in India to allow the games to proceed.

Do you think there is the possibility that India will be like Athens2004 with a last minute rush and get things done? I have visions of the swimming being outdoors too as that pool look waaaaaaay behind schedule. Perhaps they will forego the roof!

Melbourne has categorically said no to a possible 2010 CG. There was talk that if they were to be delayed until 2011 there was hope we could step in if necesary - however the CGF was very hesitant to even accept that as an option. Personally I think the Games will go on in India - however the question is will they be staged in October 2010 still?

Mo - I agree that the CGF (and the IOC) should have a team in place that can go in and take over the logistics side of organising the Games - and leave the capital works and base infrastructure to the locals. A "super team" of advisors if you will. Oh CGF - I am available with 8 weeks notice! Ha!

i will be your african assistant. see my "save the games" thread. share your ideas.