Delhi 2010

I find this a rather strange comment for kalmadi to make:

MUMBAI: Indian Olympic Association president Suresh Kalmadi, on Tuesday, 'regretted' not bringing the Commonwealth Games to Mumbai.

Addressing a function to felicitate winners of Commonwealth and World Gojukai Karate Championship held recently in South Africa, Kalmadi said, "The scenario would have been different if Maharashtra government had thought otherwise about Commonwealth Games in Mumbai."

Kalmadi, who is also Chairman of Commonwealth Games Organising Committee, said Mumbai lacked sport infrastructure and that's why he wanted to bring the Games here.

Asked who betrayed his plan to bring the Games to Mumbai, he said that Maharashtra Cabinet had turned down the proposal long ago.

"They did so may be because of paucity of funds." Kalmadi said the Commonwealth baton will reach India hundred days before the game via Wagah border, Pakistan.

To a query, he said the differences of opinion between him and the Commonwealth Games Federation "have been sorted out."

On the preparation of Commonwealth Games, slated to be held in New Delhi in October 2010, he said all preparations have been completed. "The flyover, Metro train-line and the Games village have boosted the infrastructure of New Delhi."

The MP from Pune expressed confidence that the 15-day sport event would be a huge success.

The Delhi Games had run into a bad weather due to its tardy pace of preparations.

The situation worsened when the OC and CGF waged a public spat after the organisers shot down the parent body's idea of a Technical Review Panel for monitoring the progress.

To add to the crisis, Kalmadi and CGF chief executive officer Mike Hooper were engaged in war of words after the OC had sought the New Zealander's transfer out of Delhi calling him "useless" and "impediment" to the smooth functioning of the OC.

Times of india

YamunaSportsComplex.gif

Yamuna Sports Complex Print Preview

Table Tennis

Capacity 4,297

Facilities Two show court tables; eight match tables; 10 warm-up tables

Completion December 2009

Archery Preliminaries

Capacity 1500

Facilities Archery competition field

Completion December 2009

sscxh1.jpg

Siri Fort Sports Complex Print Preview

Badminton

Capacity 4,748

Facilities Five match courts; three warm-up courts

Completion December 2009

Squash

Capacity 3,128

Facilities 11 singles courts (convertible into five doubles courts)

Completion December 2009

Games Headquarters

DSC_0011_375.jpg

DSC_0020_376.jpg

DSC_0131_379.jpg

........................on the way mor news,updates and city info.

Some of those capacities seem a little small for an Olympics. So can one infer that Delhi is NOT serious about any future Olympic hopes if this is the set of installations it will have for the next 20 years or so -- because those capacities are below par.

Edited by baron-pierreIV

Just my opinion, but I find this Commonwealth thing quite ridiculous....so only the countries under the Queen participate these games?

But really, who watches these games? (of course outside Commonwealth)? Nobody

I mean big countries like Australia or Canada, aren't they just sick'n tired to be considered just as only the Commonwealth countries with the Head of state Queen Elisabeth of England?

Such a big countries,,,what a shame!

I would love to see these countries "free" from the colonization and to be really independent...in every way.

Just my opinion, but I find this Commonwealth thing quite ridiculous....so only the countries under the Queen participate these games?

No. Of these 53 countries in the Commonwealth, the Queen is the monarch in only 16.

Let's be clear on what the Commonwealth is:

The Commonwealth of Nations, often referred to as the Commonwealth and previously as the British Commonwealth, is an intergovernmental organisation of fifty-three independent member states. Most of them were formerly part of the British Empire. They co-operate within a framework of common values and goals as outlined in the Singapore Declaration. These include the promotion of democracy, human rights, good governance, the rule of law, individual liberty, egalitarianism, free trade, multilateralism and world peace.

Who watches the Mediterranean Games or the PanAm Games or the Asian Games or the Lusophone Games or the Francophone Games or the All-Africa Games outside of those countries competing in them? Nobody. That's not really the point though.

The population of the Commonwelath is 2.1 billion. The Commonwealth Games has a TV audience running into the hundreds of millions. So what you're asking is, apart from these few hundred million people, who watches the Commonwealth Games. :P

The 4,500 athletes representing 71 teams from 53 Commonwealth countries seem to enjoy them, as does the global TV audience, of hundreds of millions. As did the crowds in Melbourne in 2006, where nearly 1 million people filled the venues.

It's the third biggest multi-sport event in the world. It may seem odd to someone from outside the Commonwealth but these Games are massive. I can only speak for my own country, but the Commonwealth Games eclipses every muli-sport event except the Olympics in terms of importance here in the UK.

I mean big countries like Australia or Canada, aren't they just sick'n tired to be considered just as only the Commonwealth countries with the Head of state Queen Elisabeth of England?

I would love to see these countries "free" from the colonization and to be really independent...in every way.

Australia and Canada aren't participating against their will lehari. I really don't see the problem. And, furthermore, if they decided, at any point in the future, to remove the Queen as their monarch, nobody would stop them. There's really no need to worry on their behalf!

Edited by RobH

Countries like Canada, Australia, NZ etc. are free and inderpendant in every way. It's just that we share a monarch with the United Kingdom.

I fully support New Zealand becoming a republic but I dont want to see it leave the Commonwealth.

I think in most former british colonies, the commonwealth is past it' date. To still have the british queen as the head of the commonwealth makes no sense. I understand that in Britain, there is a lot of interest about the commonwealth because of nostalgia for the british empire, but the rest of the world has moved forward. Britain no longer plays a role in the world it played before WW2. Of course there are some things which the commonwealth shares like the english language and cricket, but other than that I think most other colonies have moved forward. It's now the 3rd or 4th generation after most of these countries became independent. Only a few countries in the commonwealth play a major role like UK, Australia, Canada, SA, India, New zealand, Pakistan, Sri lanka, Malaysia, Singapore, Bangladesh, Kenya etc. Most of the others are smaller islands. Australia, Canada, NZ share a bond with the UK, but some others like India don't really understand what the fuss is about.

The Commonwealth is about a common history, language and cultural connection. Its about the promotion of democracy, human rights, good governance, the rule of law, individual liberty, egalitarianism, free trade, multilateralism and world peace. It has not political connotations. Rwanda, South Sudan, Algeria, Madagascar, Yeman, Israel and Palestine wouldn't be applying for membership/considering membership. And having an outlet for what unites the Commonwealth most, sport is highly appropriate. Its not past its date because only Zimbabwe has left in recent history and that was only because they got suspended.

After seeing this your History and Civics teacher will commit suicide..................

Who builds a "weightlifting" and "archery" venue??

Surely Delhi has an auditorium of some sorts seating 2,000.

For Archery, use temporary seating and a random field.

Host all Rugby 7's matches in the main stadium.

India%20Gate%20Delhi%20web.jpg

India Gate Memorial and Lawn will play as the venue for archery finals.........a temporary facility will be constructed before the scenic backdrop of the center of the country's capital!

Baton10.jpg

Baton2.jpg

The Queen's Baton 2010 Delhi is a fusion of handcrafted elements interplayed with a precision engineered body, and ornamented with an intricate hand layered soil pattern.The shape and design of the baton is created using a triangular section of aluminium which has been twisted in the form of a helix and then coated with a diverse range of coloured soils collected from all corners of India. The interweaving of coloured soils, including white sands, deep reds, warm yellows, dark browns and an array of other hues creates a very distinctive design, form and texture never before seen in the styling of a Queen's Baton.

+

newsmlmmd.204db4342474afb13c6c8f2155ca4a7e.111b.jpg

Shera..........modeled on Royal Bengal tiger........India's National Animal and Icon......!

+

loos.jpg....sorry for the size!

+

r451420_2198395.jpg..latest pic!

+

duni7.jpg

Who builds a "weightlifting" and "archery" venue??

Surely Delhi has an auditorium of some sorts seating 2,000.

For Archery, use temporary seating and a random field.

Host all Rugby 7's matches in the main stadium.

Uh for weightlifting it would be cities that do not have a suitable capacity auditorium/arena.

They could use it as an excuse for a legacy auditorium post games, or justify the need for a larger auditorium in the city.

As for archery, some cities have a dedicated archery park, but a temporary sort of venue for those that don't will do.

Uh for weightlifting it would be cities that do not have a suitable capacity auditorium/arena.

They could use it as an excuse for a legacy auditorium post games, or justify the need for a larger auditorium in the city.

As for archery, some cities have a dedicated archery park, but a temporary sort of venue for those that don't will do.

Their are some very big audis and covered arenas sort of things in the city the major one being pragati maidan and others with capacities in 1000s but the weight lifiting thing is being made as a dedecated place for weightlifetrs to workout while temporary archery structure is just to popularize the city as historis and bla bla bla!

+

Hav a look at this funny vid...............its just funny so please don't create unnecessary nuisance!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PNrFNFP-i_I

The Commonwealth is about a common history, language and cultural connection. Its about the promotion of democracy, human rights, good governance, the rule of law, individual liberty, egalitarianism, free trade, multilateralism and world peace. It has not political connotations. Rwanda, South Sudan, Algeria, Madagascar, Yeman, Israel and Palestine wouldn't be applying for membership/considering membership. And having an outlet for what unites the Commonwealth most, sport is highly appropriate. Its not past its date because only Zimbabwe has left in recent history and that was only because they got suspended.

Yes the commonwealth shares a common history which is the british empire, people in britain may be proud of that history and also those in country's like Canada, Australia, New Zealand which share a common culture, because many of these people are descendants of Britons, but otherwise in countries like India, the british raj is not something which people are proud about. That is the reason why people here fought for our own independence. Of course there are some things which are a legacy of the british raj like the bureaucracy, some old laws, the postal system, railways etc., but people here haven't forgotten that in those days millions of people died of famine because of the british raj and the injustices committed by the then rulers. Promotion of democracy, human rights, good governance, the rule of law, individual liberty, egalitarianism, free trade, multilateralism, world peace, all these things are not specific to the commonwealth. Perhaps for smaller islands the commonwealth does provide a voice, which they normally wouldn't have, but internationally the commonwealth as an institution actually does not play any major role. It is more symbolic in nature. It isn't really an effective organisation and the only thing holding it together is the past and it's symbols. People of my generation have never experienced the british raj and therefore feel no connection with britain, for me these symbols carry no inner meaning. If the commonwealth has to be more modern then this connection to the british empire and it's symbols must be dropped, in that case why should the british queen be it's head? As time passes by, peoples memory of the raj will fade, these symbols will carry no value, and neither the queen. If the commonwealth does not modernise and britain doesn't let go of it's obsession of wanting to be at the centre of such an institution, I think the commonwealth will die a natural death.

It just seems that cities keep making the same mistakes.

Not sure if the Delhi venue is purpose built for weightlifting but its simply not smart.

The same applies to archery. Use temporary facilities.

Create a large exhibition centre for a variety of sports rather than indoor halls spread across the city.