Delhi 2010

2010 Games to be a digital delight

Pratul Sharma

New Delhi, October 2: THE Delhi government has come up with a list of hi-tech proposals and gadgets to assist participants and visitors to the Commonwealth Games 2010.

On the ‘Digital Delhi’ list are video phones, wi-fi hot spots, malls, major screens at prominent places in Capital to broadcast sports events live, web-casting of events, information kiosks on services in Delhi at public places and links to 3G mobile systems.

Comprehensive online services to enable visitors to plan their journey in advance; not just to Delhi, but to other parts of the country as well are in the offing, according to officials involved in planning for the Games.

“The whole exercise will be planned with public and private participation. Visitors wanting to go to other parts of the country, or plan social activities, can do so by booking online with approved travel agents,” said a senior government official.

“Also, we’ve proposed Iris-based identification at immigration counters at the airport for quicker clearance. The participants will be given a smart card and even Radio Frequency ID (RFID) for access to Games Village and other sporting places,’’ said the official. The vehicles used by sportspersons will be fitted with GPRS for better management, he added.

Information on entertainment, tourism places, history and health will also be available online. Plans are on to provide area-specific portals, including facilitating map-based directions, the officer added.

While preparing for the games, the Delhi government is busy hurrying its own networking in all the offices, and developing Intra-Delhi and knowledge portals and knowledge centres, said another official.

These preparations would help not only improve infrastructure, Delhi can then even bid for the Asian and Olympics Games in the future, he added.

Technology to make visitors feel at home

To make feel Games participants at home, the government is planning to provide access to their home country TV networks in buses, Games Village and even hotels. Every participant will also be given a Wi-Fi enabled phone. Not just these phones can be used for communication, the users can access public utility services available for them. Each suite wing in the Games Village will also be provided with computers with wireless internet.

Among the interesting things being planned, on the website for the games, is the profiles of the participants and facilities for them to handle fan mail and even hoist their own blogs. “They (sportsmen) will be able to take virtual tours of the games facilities, make online bookings for practice spaces and medical services,’’ a government official told Newsline.

Officials said specific games management systems will be prepared for accreditation of the sportsmen, staff and other information relating to their movements. Important component of this system will be live events telecast, managing the events results and maintaining score boards, collection of events data for generating statistics and result cards. Even the foreign media coming to cover the events will be provided with the local language enabled computers and internet in the media centres.

Efforts are also on to develop e-surveillance systems for better security arrangements at the venue.

Expressindia

I'm surprised we didn't have a thread for Delhi news (I know we used to have one, around the time when there was all the specualtaion that they were going to be stripped of the games but I guess that fell through the cracks in the redesign).

Anyway, it's nice to see some positive news start appearing from India.

Given India's rising tech centre, I guess it's fitting that Delhi 2010 has ambitious digital plans.

Well, it is a start along the path in preparation for the Games. Of course, being where the host city is, it will be interesting on how smooth the whole operation will be from now until the opening ceremony.

I don't think it will hurt much, if at all, for Delhi's preparation for the 2010 CG. However, the ICC is not liking what India is doing and the BBC has posted a sport news brief about warning of having its 2011 World Cup hosting rights being revoked.

• 3 weeks later...

The Delhi 2010 opening ceremony is going to be big and spectacular without a doubt, however i am very disappointed with their games logo.

it seems very bland and isnot very striking. Melbournes logo was bright and modern. i am sure that there is loads of talented artists in India that could have came up with something better

The Delhi 2010 opening ceremony is going to be big and spectacular without a doubt, however i am very disappointed with their games logo.

it seems very bland and isnot very striking. Melbournes logo was bright and modern. i am sure that there is loads of talented artists in India that could have came up with something better

Im not entirely sure that this will be their official logo. I just can't see the CGF approving it, as it wouldnt be an overly exciting focal point of their marketing effort. The logo is esentially the logo of Commonwealth Games India. It was their bid logo but surely they will come up with a new official logo. There is still time, the Melbourne 2006 bid logo was still being used at the handover during the Manchester 2002 Commonwealth Games Closing Ceremony.

Hopefully a new one for Delhi will appear over the next year.

They have been using their mascot alot more that is usual.

• 2 weeks later...

no cape town...no IAAF approved athletic facility in the entire city, although cape town does have the most athletic facilities per capita on the continent...but im not sure i believe that either...the new stadium is an all football and rugby allianz arena wannabe so no athletics no CWG no olympic games.

• 3 weeks later...

Great news as archery makes the schedule for the 2010 Commonwealth Games

21st November 2006

Archery has been added to the list of disciplines for the 2010 Commonwealth Games in New Delhi.

It will be the first time since the Brisbane Games in 1982 that the sport will have been included in Commonwealth Games. Tennis has also been included among the 17 sports.

The news follows a meeting of the Commonwealth Games Federation in Kuala Lumpur, where India also pushed for the addition of billiards and snooker, which were not approved. The decision has now been confirmed to officials of the Grand National Archery Society, the governing body of archery in Britain.

"This is fantastic news, and I am so pleased," said David Sherratt, chief executive of the GNAS. "An enormous amount of hard work has gone on behind the scenes to make this happen, and FITA (the world governing body) lobbied both hard and enthusiastically to back up the support we had from India, who, as host nation, were able to nominate four sports they wanted included.

"Just because we were nominated didn't mean we would automatically get accepted, we had to convince the Commonwealth Games authorities we were worthy, and happily that is precisely what has happened. It's another big step forward for our sport."

Lynne Evans, chairman of the GNAS, said the news offered another opportunity for British archers to win medals at a major sporting competition, and would play a big part in the preparations for the London 2012 Olympics.

"I'm delighted, both for archery as a sport, and for archers throughout the Commonwealth," she said. "This will be a wonderful opportunity for our archers, it will have an enormous impact on the ever increasing profile of our sport, and will help the development of the sport in certain countries.

"It will also be a fantastic competition, there will be some world class archers taking part, and it will provide invaluable experience for British archers two years before the London Olympics. It will be a great opportunity for them."

Brisbane '82 was archery's only previous inclusion in the Commonwealth Games schedule.

England's Mark Blenkarne is the reigning - and the only - Commonwealth men's champion. No longer involved in competitive archery, he is a lawyer based in the outskirts of London. The only ever women's Commonwealth champion is Neroli Fairhall of New Zealand, who died earlier this year.

Grand National Archery Society: Great news as Archery makes the schedule for the 2010 Commonwealth Games

• 3 weeks later...

Oh, boy. Not again. Even though it is about 3 years away from Delhi 2010, Fiji better deal with its political problems because the nation is now out of the Commonwealth at this time. Of course, that means that the Fijian team cannot compete in the Commonwealth Games, if that time comes and the scenarios are still not resolved:

Link: BBC: Fiji Suspended From Commonwealth

Oh, boy. Not again. Even though it is about 3 years away from Delhi 2010, Fiji better deal with its political problems because the nation is now out of the Commonwealth at this time. Of course, that means that the Fijian team cannot compete in the Commonwealth Games, if that time comes and the scenarios are still not resolved:

Link: BBC: Fiji Suspended From Commonwealth

That link from above was from yesterday. This latest one talks about one of the international sporting casulties of Fiji's military coup that came to be:

Link: BBC: Fiji Stripped Of Netball Worlds

• 2 weeks later...

Could the Delhi 2010 Commonwealth Games have a mosaic of participating nations that could make some of us scratch our heads? I heard that the current Rwandan government is having quite a row with the French government about its preceived role in the 1994 genocide. So much so that the French diplomatic corps were kicked out from the country because of a French judge asking the current Rwandan president to stand trial, from that very sad episode. At least, that's what I know lately. So, do you think a French-speaking nation will be able to join the Commonwealth?

Link: BBC: Rwanda Seeks To Join Commonwealth

If you think that is it, well, other nations is rumored to want to join the "British" Commonwealth, too. Try these ones: Algeria, Yemen, Sudan, Israel and the Palestinian territories.

Could the Delhi 2010 Commonwealth Games have a mosaic of participating nations that could make some of us scratch our heads? I heard that the current Rwandan government is having quite a row with the French government about its preceived role in the 1994 genocide. So much so that the French diplomatic corps were kicked out from the country because of a French judge asking the current Rwandan president to stand trial, from that very sad episode. At least, that's what I know lately. So, do you think a French-speaking nation will be able to join the Commonwealth?

What about Canada?

THere's already a few non-British Empire, non-English speaking members who have joined the Commonwealth, such as Cameroon (former German colony then French controlled, languages French and English) and Mozambique (former Portuguese colony, official language Portuguese).

Edited by roltel

That link from above was from yesterday. This latest one talks about one of the international sporting casulties of Fiji's military coup that came to be:

Link: BBC: Fiji Stripped Of Netball Worlds

today new zealand won rights to host the 2007 netball world champs! www.nzherald.co.nz for more information. The champs will be held later in the year in november and it is a real boost for the silver ferns from new zealand who are hoping to defend their world title which they won in jamaica in 2003

What about Canada?

THere's already a few non-British Empire, non-English speaking members who have joined the Commonwealth, such as Cameroon (former German colony then French controlled, languages French and English) and Mozambique (former Portuguese colony, official language Portuguese).

Huh? Canada? It has been in the British Empire of some sort, since its founding. Sure, it has Quebec, with the majority being French, but it has been in all the Commonwealth Games. As for the other nations that have joined the Commonwealth, but doesn't have any "real connections" to the British, it comes to show what I know. So, why did they want to join the Commonwealth club in the first place?

Will the new sports added for 2010 still be included for 2014?

Its up to whoever is chosen to host to decide what sports they want. Athletics, swimming, Rugby 7s, netball and bowls are compulsory, after that the host can have open slather (up to 15 sports in total). A vey good system, IMO, and one the Olympics should adopt.

Huh? Canada? It has been in the British Empire of some sort, since its founding. Sure, it has Quebec, with the majority being French, but it has been in all the Commonwealth Games. As for the other nations that have joined the Commonwealth, but doesn't have any "real connections" to the British, it comes to show what I know. So, why did they want to join the Commonwealth club in the first place?

I was just joking because of Canada's large French-speaking segment (I really should use smileys more when I do that).

I guess these johnny-come-latelys just see value in the Commonwealth as a forum on the world stage.

Its up to whoever is chosen to host to decide what sports they want. Athletics, swimming, Rugby 7s, netball and bowls are compulsory, after that the host can have open slather (up to 15 sports in total). A vey good system, IMO, and one the Olympics should adopt.

The system could work in the Olympic however this may anger several sports federations who would most certainly be dropped given certain hosts. Maybe knuckle the current sports down to 20-25 and then allow hosts to choose 3-4 extra events.

I was just joking because of Canada's large French-speaking segment (I really should use smileys more when I do that).

I guess these johnny-come-latelys just see value in the Commonwealth as a forum on the world stage.

Kind of getting it. But, that "joke" will be tested in next year and 2008. You see, speaking of the French, the next Francophone Games was supposed to be in, of all places, BEIRUT in 2009. So far, I haven't seen any moves of concern about that city's readiness for it. When you get bombed from Israeli planes in the summer and political upheavals going on in Lebanon this year, one has to wonder if they have any time to deal with staging an international Games.

Dominica (not the Dominican Republic) is mostly French speaking, and they are in the Commonwealth.

Believe me joining the british commonwealth for dominca hasnt seemed to raised that place. Ironically a dockside development in Roseau was funded by the japanese government and is in bad repair. The worst hell hole I have been in . Martinque a french colony close by is nicer. If you can avoid Dominica avoid it . In fact you have to go ou o your way to visit so dont make the efford. Roseau is a hell on earth.

jim jones