Delhi 2010

article-1313907-0B493F6C000005DC-307_634x379.jpg Bog standard: The toilet facilities in the Delhi athletes' village which was criticised by Michael Cavanagh, chairman of Commonwealth Games Scotland

I wouldn't be surprised if some athletes don't participate in the games because they were injured because of slippery floor while they were taking a shower :wacko:

Why would you need a tub when a shower does the job as well? I do not suppose the atheletes are too weak to stand? :D

I guess what is needed is a little wall to keep water from shower out of the rest of the bathroom floor, cause at least I don't see any.

I guess what is needed is a little wall to keep water from shower out of the rest of the bathroom floor, cause at least I don't see any.

That's what I was eluding too. There's no divider wall. You turn on the tap, you'll flood the rest of the bathroom. And what good is that tap there, at that height? It's as if it is meant for a tub, but hasn't been installed yet. :blink::unsure:

It's already trending on Twitter. People are having a hoot over this:

Commonwealth Games changing its name to Survivor: New Delhi

Inept supervisors, crumbling halls, competitors making up excuses so they don't have to go, I dub these Commonwealth Games: 'P.E. The Movie'

Chair of Organizing Committee of Indian Commonwealth Games Suresh Kalmadi tried to hang himself but the ceiling collapsed

Who built all the indian Commonwealth Games facilities - Ryan Air?

Migod!!! Rob, those photos are sickening. No wonder the delegates and officials that are there are talking about pulling or delaying their teams entrance into the village. Frankly no one should go to these games if that is considered by the buffoons and morons on the Delhi OC as their acceptable standards of hygiene.

You know you have exported the games to the wrong country when they seem to care more about their image than the 23 people who were injured falling off the bridge that collapsed.

I do not blame India, I blame the organization who gave India the games in the first place. I am not an oracle on things commonwealth, but why oh why did preparation for these games only begin in 2008? Where was the oversight? Surely the Commonwealth have a scrutinizing body like the IOC??

That's what I was eluding too. There's no divider wall. You turn on the tap, you'll flood the rest of the bathroom. And what good is that tap there, at that height? It's as if it is meant for a tub, but hasn't been installed yet. :blink::unsure:

Perhaps a missing door, a missing curtain, or simply a missing non-slip mat. Simple things even budget hotels have overcomed the world over...

And this organicsing committee could not. Sigh.

Those pictures look incredibly bad , but I would also like to se the best parts of the village , I’m sure its not all like that,

I still believe the Deli games will be a success in the end,

But its disappointing that an event that was supposed to be highlighting India in a favrable light is getting all this negative coverage at the moment.

And Suresh Kalmad goes AWOL:

Commonwealth Games: Organising committee chairman goes AWOL

NEW DELHI: The embattled supremo of the Delhi Commonwealth Games, Suresh Kalmadi, has vanished from public view with the event plunged into crisis and teams threatening a mass pullout.

Kalmadi, the face of the troubled Games, has not been seen or heard of since revelations broke over the "filthy" state of the athletes' village and a footbridge collapsed near the main stadium.

Indian media reported that the 66-year-old member of parliament from the ruling Congress party had been asked to keep a low profile by the government.

Kalmadi, who chairs the Games organising committee, was not part of a high-powered delegation led by cabinet secretary K.M. Chandrasekhar, which visited the village Tuesday after delegations complained it was "unfit for human habitation".

It is unusual for the highly visible Kalmadi to stay out of the spotlight but as the October 3 opening ceremony nears and the crisis deepened, he remained sequestered in his office at the plush Games headquarters in central Delhi.

The man who promised the "best ever" Commonwealth Games and an athletes village "better" than the one at the Beijing Olympics initially had his wings clipped in mid-August.

More here: http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/afp_sports/view/1082960/1/.html

Starting to see more and more news trickle in the American press...

I hope they can pull off a decent games, but chances of that are dimming with each passing day. I can't see how they can host this event without delay.

5149413.jpg

Laborers rest inside their makeshift tents outside the boundary wall of the 2010 Commonwealth Games athletes village in New Delhi September 21, 2010.

5149417.jpg

Laborers pull a hand cart loaded with bricks and sacks of sand in front of boards advertising the 2010 Commonwealth Games, over a flyover in New Delhi September 21, 2010.

5149424.jpg

Rag pickers try to right their overturned cycle rickshaw near the 2010 Commonwealth Games athletes village in New Delhi September 21, 2010.

You know you have exported the games to the wrong country when they seem to care more about their image than the 23 people who were injured falling off the bridge that collapsed.

I do not blame India, I blame the organization who gave India the games in the first place. I am not an oracle on things commonwealth, but why oh why did preparation for these games only begin in 2008? Where was the oversight? Surely the Commonwealth have a scrutinizing body like the IOC??

michelle - i totally agree with you - the commonwealth games federation have failed dismally here and should take some of the blame!

It seems Surest Calamity finally had his wings clipped out :rolleyes: A bit too late dont you think?

Kalmadi's wings clipped, Reddy to take over?

23 Sep 2010, 1308 hrs IST

With the build-up to the Commonwealth Games going from bad to worse, an unhappy Prime Minister Dr Manmohan Singh, who called for a CWG meet in the capital on Thursday (September 23), has reportedly ordered Urban Development Minister Jaipal Reddy to take over the Games preparations from Organising Committee Chief Suresh Kalmadi.

Sources added that Jaipal Reddy's Group of Ministers (GoM), who is overseeing the Games preparations, will be the nodal agency to handle all CWG activities from here on and not Kalmadi & Co., who have brought national shame in the past few weeks. The CWG OC will be kept away from any decision making for the next 10 days, added sources.

This decision reportedly comes after TIMES NOW reported of infighting within the Commonwealth Games organisers over manpower deployed to clean up the Games village mess. TIMES NOW had highlighted how only 8% of the required workforce was given to finish off pending work.

Sources told TIMES NOW that Kalmadi's wings will be clipped and the decision would be made official after the meeting between the PM, Sports Minister MS Gill and Reddy in the capital today. Sources also added that the prime minister is 'deeply unhappy' with the total botch-up by the Commonwealth Games Organising Committee headed by Suresh Kalmadi.

Earlier today, sources also told TIMES NOW that the government has formulated a special team of officers to take charge of clearing the Games village mess, which has come under attack by international sporting associations and athletes.

After TIMES NOW revealed on Wednesday (September 22) that 28 labourers initially and 85 labourers subsequently had been deployed by the Games Organizing Committee to clean up the village mess, the government has taken matters into its own hands by appointing special officers to look after each of the 34 blocks, where athletes will be staying.

Sources told TIMES NOW that the OC has been totally sidestepped and the government deployed over 1000 labourers overnight and will provide more if situation arises. After understanding the gravity of the situation with just 48 hour left for international athletes to officially pour in, the special officers have been given the ultimate power to ensure that the Games mess is fixed with immediate effect.

While this move from the government is a royal snub to Suresh Kalmadi's OC and its Secretary General Lalit Bhanot, in-charge of the village, it is also aimed to win back international confidence.

This decision by the government comes two days after international delegates lambasted the Games Village as "filthy and uninhabitable" and top teams such as Canada, Scotland and New Zealand delayed their departure to the Indian capital.

The Games' build-up has been nothing short of disaster which has only grown in proportion ever since allegations of corruption first came out. Apart from accusations of inefficiency, the Organising Committee and the government have also been left embarrassed by the collapse of a foot over-bridge near the Jawahar Lal Nehru Stadium, which is the main venue for the mega-event.

The first multi-sport international event being held in India since the 1982 Asian Games threatens to become a national embarrassment with several top athletes already pulling out and some more adopting a wait-and-watch policy before taking a final call.

http://www.timesnow.tv/Kalmadis-wing...ow/4354452.cms

Pics speak more than words...

jlno.jpg

And some shocking pics of the Village...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/commonwealth_games/delhi_2010/9025907.stm

1000 labourers versus just about 100 previously? Suddenly I have renewed hope!

Anyway this issue has made it as the opening piece to grace Singapore's news bulletin tonight. I do note they showed the rooms which are in a better state (showing the bad ones would have been mischievous and cause many to throw up their dinner), and I actually see a full bathtub provided! :D

michelle - i totally agree with you - the commonwealth games federation have failed dismally here and should take some of the blame!

The CGF certainly seems to have none of the corporate or organisational abilities or strength to operate in a similar manner as the IOC does (hardly surprising considering the more amateurish aspects of the federation's upper management and the games themselves). The likes of Fennell and Hooper as well as all those who voted for Delhi must take a goodly portion of the blame, however I suspect unlike say Samaranch and Athens, or even going back as far as Brundage and Melbourne, once the choice was made with Delhi the exec board has been unable to do anything more than sit back and cross fingers at every step of the way with the Kalmadi Klowns.

What is intriguing is assuming the current farce was to get worse it would possibly be impossible for the CGF to actually cancel the games. There is a clause allowing them to repeal the host city contract but this has to be done by the Exec Committee which needs 14 days notice of a meeting. As the Delay Shames will be probably staggering through a few days of competition before such a meeting can be held, methinks it's too late.

And let's face it, unlike the IOC which is in a significant degree of power when it comes to exerting influence in the world thanks to the Olympic brand, the Commonwealth Games are well nigh unsellable (as reflected with the likes of Hambantota's bid which would be laughed at in an Olympic context). Delhi's bid had all the compelling factors akin to Beijing's for 2008, however unlike the IOC The CGF had no credible alternate that wouldn't have smacked of a perceived repeat of the traditional white man's games. Hamilton may have been the better organisational option but Delhi's non-selection could have disaffected the African and Asian delegates, thus further reducing the CG's relevance. Sad to say it looks like the CGF was in a no-win situation back in 2003...picking Delhi has almost certainly consigned the CWGs to the dustbin of sporting history.