Delhi 2010

Australia. I don't think England have the balls. South Africa and NZ will do what Australia do. Ireland will do what England do.

Some African countries will follow South Africa. Canada and Australia will talk but Canada will not pull out before Australia.

Out of the major powers (England, Scotland, Wales, Ireland, Canada, New Zealand, South Africa and Australia). Canada is the least bothered by the CWGs and has the least interest. So for us to withdraw will have less far-reaching impacts to sport in our country. We go, win about a 100 medals and leave, barely gets a mention on our media. We don't go, very few people will notice.

If a terrorist attack happens, or bombing or anything major before October 3, everyone will be dropping like flies out of there with England and Scotland bringing up the rear.

Edited by Faster

I don't believe Australia will be first to withdraw as the Federal government is taking a hands off approach, with the individual athletes left with the responsibility to make the decision then advise their respective sports organisation. Also Perry Crosswhite and Steve Moneghetti (key Aussie CWG administrators) have been very pro Delhi. Throw in political sensitivities between Australia and India, economic interests and trade implications if Indians feel let down or insulted by Australian attitudes, and the potential harm done to the Gold Coast 2018 bid, then it stands to reason that there will be no unilateral mass pull out by Australia.

I suspect NZ or maybe Wales or Northern Ireland may be first. Canada also is a candidate. England won't withdraw because of the implications for it's London 2012 preparations. Scotland won't because of 2014 Glasgow and South Africa will attend because there is a degree of sporting and political solidarity with the Indians plus it would look a little suspect in terms of their potential 2020 Futban bid.

Also watch for the small delegations who may pull the pin because they could get the short end of the straw with village facilities. The big countries have the clout to kick up a stink over crap accommodation...the smaller delegations may not.

Edited by eusebius65

I don't believe Australia will be first to withdraw as the Federal government is taking a hands off approach, with the individual athletes left with the responsibility to make the decision then advise their respective sports organisation. Also Perry Crossthwaite and Steve Moneghetti (key Aussie CWG administrators) have been very pro Delhi. Throw in political sensitivities between Australia and India, economic interests and trade implications if Indians feel let down or insulted by Australian attitudes, and the potential harm done to the Gold Coast 2018 bid, then it stands to reason that there will be no unilateral mass pull out by Australia.

Yes, and even with the decision being left up to individual athletes, the backlash has started:

Australians slammed for safety concerns with more withdrawals likely

INDIANS have hit back at Aussie fears over Commonwealth Games attacks as Sport Minister Mark Arbib warns of more athlete withdrawals.

Delhi dramas continue as champs withdraw

The troubled build-up to the Commonwealth Games has continued with the withdrawal of two world champions.

World discus champion Dani Samuels became the first Aussie team member to pull out of the Games last night, with British triple jump world champion Phillips Idowu following suit this morning.

The withdrawals come amid a full-blown crisis for event organisers, following a footbridge collapse outside the main stadium and international team complaints about the standard of the athletes' village.

Two Taiwanese tourists were injured in a shooting at the Jama Masjid mosque in New Delhi on Sunday and there has also been an outbreak of dengue fever in the Indian capital to add to organisers' woes.

Senator Arbib admitted today that more Australian athletes could follow the example of Ms Samuels.

He said he had spoken to Australian Commonwealth Games Association (ACGA) chief executive Perry Crosswhite about the issues and Samuels' decision to withdrawal from the Games.

"He (Crosswhite) thought there could be a number more who made that decision,'' he told Sky News today.

Senator Arbib recommended all Australians travelling to Delhi take extreme care and regularly check the government's online travel advisories at www.smartraveller.gov.au.

"We have received reports of possible terrorist incidents or threats in India but also in New Delhi,'' he said.

Senator Arbib said Mr Crosswhite also believed the athletes village wasn't up to scratch, but could be fixed before the Australian team began arriving on September 27.

"His view is that while there is still work to be done in the Australian quarter, he believes that can be completed before the Australian athletes arrive.''

Senator Arbib said the ACGA was putting in place strict conditions on athletes' travel while in Delhi.

"They'll be able to travel between venues and obviously in the village,'' he said.

"But they are obviously concerned about travel in public areas and there will be restrictions on Australian team members.''

Senator Arbib will travel to Delhi next week as the federal government's official representative at the Games.

Meanwhile, some Indians have have hit out at Australian concerns over violence at the Commonwealth Games, calling us a country of "breeding criminals".

Online readers of The Times of India have slammed what they see as Australian hypocrisy over safety concerns, referring to racially-motivated attacks here.

One of the 85 commenters on a report called "Australia warns 'high risk' of Games terror attack" said Australians have every right to be concerned, just as he was concerned enough about violence to not study in Melbourne.

Using Australia's colonial past to attack its citizens, Asamanja Ghose writes, "what have we Indians come to? We are unable to take care of our own security and have the descendants of thieves and murders to warn us of impending terrorist attacks".

Another commenter, 'Acee' said criminals are more likely to be found in Australia than India.

"Perhaps the most scariest place to live these days is Australia because of so many racial attacks and also knowing their origin, history and past..one wonders which country is more popular for breeding criminals," Acee wrote.

One writer expressed the belief that Indians are targetted in racial attacks after the Cronulla riots saw other ethnic groups fight back.

"Cronulla riots set them right a few years ago. If they touch the Lebanese/Arab immigrants in Australia theyre gonna get the taste of their own bitter medicine. Indians to them are soft targets," wrote Samrat Ashok.

'Ajith' asked why it mattered anyway: "Who wants aussies to be here? Stay back down under and have kangaroo meal guys."

But not all the comments were negative, with some readers pointing out Australia was only acting out of concern for its citizens.

Others pointed out the strong economy and lifestyle was envied among many Indians, including those who migrate to Australia.

Herald Sun

This from skysport.co.nz

Decision due today

President and Secretary General Arrive in Delhi

The New Zealand Olympic Committee President and Secretary General have touched down in Delhi this morning ahead of briefings and a first-hand assessment of the athletes’ village today.

Mike Stanley and Barry Maister left New Zealand yesterday morning after Indian organizers struggled to prepare the village ahead of New Zealand athletes arriving on the 25th.

Chef de Mission Dave Currie will brief the pair this morning and conduct a tour of the village from approximately 4.30pm (NZT) today.

Meanwhile scheduled security checks are taking place in the New Zealand towers.

“We’ll be back in our part of the village tomorrow,” said Currie. “There is still a list of maintenance issues to be addressed. It’s now up to the Commonwealth Games Federation and the Organising Committee to show us they can ready the village in time.

“We’re working hard on behalf of our athletes.”

The New Zealand Olympic Committee board meets Friday to assess developments in Delhi as October 3 and the opening of the games approaches.

This is an absolute disaster...

I noticed the same. Apparently they dont want to face the truth and they keep whining things like ''OH GAWD WHY EVERYONE IS BEING SO NEGATIVE IF YOU DONT WANT TO WRITE SOMETHING POSITIVE DONT EVEN COME HERE BAWWWW DELHI IS GONNA BE THE BESTS GAMES EVAAAH''....or something

Sorry guys but with such a disastrous organization is hard to write something positive.

Its disease that is rampant thoughout the cyberworld. The disease of the Patriot. Defending your country even though you know you're at the screwed end. The Russians and Ukrainians do that what someone criticises their Eurovision entry, james and his nigerian posse did that for Abuja's 2014 bid and now the Indians are doing that for Delhi, we saw that for Rio to a certain extent, we've seen that all so many times... :lol:

SSC is short for Skyscrapercity. This is the Delhi 2010 thread http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=267911&page=335 read more for the lulz.

I was once quite a regular there. The Indian community is faily large and sometimes boisterous, but the responses in the last few pages in that thread were actually quite reasoned?

Seems to me the organizing committee have been massively over-complacent and cavalier in their attitudes to time-scales and deadlines not to mention the corruption and incompetence that seems to be rife!

Actually, my overall impression of the people involved is not one of incompetence in the strictest sense of the word (ie, they do have the technical abilities, organising abilities etc). But what almost always do them in is over-confidence, a huge fat ego which is common place amongst Indian males because their culture expects (and in some way condones) it.

In my multi-cultural society where Indians of various demographic backgrounds and origins are commonplace (ie, we have Singaporean Indians who have been here for generations versus those who just migrated; and we have Indians from all social spectriums ranging from professionals to labourers), I have observed that the most outlandish ones are those from the higher social classes who have a higher tendency of being loud and just plain irresponsible for their own actions, prefering to blame everything on anything (and God) other then themselves. My experience here has seen a trend where the Indian community tends to be the one who would be drinking and causing too much noise for the rest of the community, and, very sadly, numerous cases of drunk husbands beating up their wives and family. And since many of them are gifted with very quick tongues, they are more than able to outtalk most people and can describe anything from white to black and black to white as and when they fancy.

On the other hand, the male Indian labourers appear to be far quieter, humble, and if one may ignore some behavior traits, are actually very nice people to be with.

So as I read the news about this CG, somehow I see the same problems happening. The loud, ego-stuffed peacocks make all kinds of self-praising statements, and the press follow suit, singing high praises about anything which can be commended on, with total disregard for any real problems lurking beneath. And if people complain about the dirt, who will they blame? The poorer, quieter labourers of course, who had their sanitory facilities removed prematurely (boy, for once they met the schedule?). And who suffers when accidents happen? When the bridge collapsed? When the metro line collapsed twice? Why do no one appear bothered about their plight?

Clearly, the caste system in India is still a problem, and it has now come back to hunt them...right in front of the entire world.

Its one snowball after another for Delhi isn't it ?

New Delhi: The Commonwealth Games Federation (CGF) has presented photo evidence of a stray dog jumping on a bed in the Games Village. The CGF now wants all stray dogs to be removed from the Village site.

CNN-IBN has access to the details of the meeting between the delegates and the organisers of the Commonwealth Games, where the delegates raised questions about the unfinished projects of the Games Village.

The meeting, which took stock of the progress of various unfinished projects, also deliberated on the shortcomings pointed out by Commonwealth Games Federation (CGF) President Michael Fennell about the Games village, said top officials.

Fennell said that the final preparations for the Village have been a concern since the federation visited the residential zone on September 15. He condemned the Games village and reports quoted Fennell as saying that the athletes' village is seriously compromised.

Moreover, delegates from England and Scotland say they saw workers sleeping on beds meant for players

A Canadian delegate has said the external parts of the towers were full of "rubbish" and exposed wires posed a risk.

While, delegates from England and Scotland say they saw workers sleeping on beds which are meant for players.

But the Organising committee of the Games does not seem too worried. They held a news conference on Tuesday evening and claimed there were no major concerns.

"We are confident of completing the cleaning of the towers in the Games Village. We have recieved a letter from Fennel about his concerns. We understand the concerns of the member countries but the situation is under control," said Oranizing Commmittte General Secretary Lalit Bhanot.

"We are looking into all the concerns and it will be solved before the arrival of the athletes, " said Bhanot.

I would pay big money to see that photo. :lol: Also, it just goes to show you, the Western media isn't the only one slamming the games. Better than the Beijing games ? I don't think so, not a long shot.

http://ibnlive.in.com/news/cwg-shocker-stray-dog-found-on-athlete-bed/131446-3.html?from=tn

Makes one wonder how the Hamilton 2010 bid would have looked like, if it won instead of Delhi.

Fairly boring, I would presume. (Relative to the Indian games of course. :D)

Also watch for the small delegations who may pull the pin because they could get the short end of the straw with village facilities. The big countries have the clout to kick up a stink over crap accommodation...the smaller delegations may not.

Depends on which small delegation. I suppose the Indian Times did Singapore a favour by happily proclaiming that Singapore is "committed" to the games:

Reported 15 hours ago:

"Singapore committed to Delhi CWG participation"

The chaotic build-up to the Delhi Commonwealth Games might have left some participating nations jittery but Singapore is not one of them and remains committed to sending its 68 athletes for the October 3 to 14 event.

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/sports/events-tournaments/commonwealth-games/top-stories/Singapore-committed-to-Delhi-CWG-participation/articleshow/6601172.cms

Switch over to the local Singaporean news sources, and you find:

Reported 10 hours ago:

"Team S'pore ready for Commonwealth Games despite safety concerns"

Team Singapore is ready for the New Delhi Commonwealth Games (C.Games) starting October 3, despite safety concerns...Team Singapore said precautions have been taken.

http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/1082546/1/.html

Reported 6 hour ago:

"S'pore to pull out if needed"

SINGAPORE will consider pulling out of the Commonwealth Games if the situation in New Delhi demands it. But for now, Singapore National Olympic Council (SNOC) president Teo Chee Hean said: 'We are all looking forward to having a good Games.'

http://www.straitstimes.com/BreakingNews/Singapore/Story/STIStory_581544.html

I do not see the word "committed" anywhere in the local press. Somehow the Indian media seems more committed to see us there than we are in going! :D

Morning guys this has just appeared on the BBC News Website :-

Scotland delay departure to Commonwealth Games

22 September 10 08:26

Team Scotland have delayed their departure to Delhi for the Commonwealth Games because of problems with the athletes' village.

Several countries have complained about the accommodation, with some claiming it is "unfit for human habitation".

Scotland still plan to take part in the Games but will decide on a day-by-day basis when to fly out.

The Games, which are due to run from 3-14 October, have been beset by concerns over security and facilities.

Scotland's first party of 41 athletes and staff in the sports of boxing, rugby sevens and wrestling were due to travel on Thursday.

But Commonwealth Games Scotland chairman Michael Cavanagh said that would no longer happen.

"By delaying the arrival of our athletes by a few days, we hope to give the Delhi 2010 Organising Committee the necessary time to address the concerns that have been raised by both the Commonwealth Games Federation and the countries which arrived early," he said.

Sorry to be coming late to the funeral... excuse me, party, but I saw this story from the AP: http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100922/ap_on_re_as/com_commonwealth_games_problems

Hate to say it, but I have a feeling in my gut that the Games are gonna get scrapped. I think between what I've been hearing about problems at the Village, compounded with the bridge collapse... it's starting to feel unavoidable.

And this effectively kills any chance India has of even trying for a SOG for at least the next 40 years or so, I'd say.

And the bits keep falling off the Delay Shames:

Weightlifting roof collapse follows bridge collapse at Delhi Commonwealth Games

Part of the ceiling of the new Commonwealth Games weightlifting venue in New Delhi has reportedly collapsed.

New Delhi television station NDTV says it has a report of the collapse of the ceiling at the newly-built venue.

However, Indian Cabinet Secretary KM Chandreshekhar said the collapse of the false ceiling was not a big issue.

"The cables which were to be set up for the data network were placed on the false ceiling and due to the weight of the cables the ceiling fell off," he told website IBNLive.com.

"It's a minor thing and it will be corrected. It's not a matter to be worried about."

I can just imagine the reaction of the OC and government officials if the whole tectonic plate that sits underneath the subcontinent slide under the waves...

"It is only a minor thing...and western standards of geology are obviously different to ours. We will have fixed by the opening which will be far better than anything Beijing or Melbourne could have delivered." :blink:

• Like 1

OK, maybe one ceiling collapse in an otherwise impeccably organized Games could be perhaps forgiven. If this had happened at Manchester 2002, Sydney 2000 or Lillehammer 1994, I wouldn't be concerned. Sometimes errors and accidents happen. But given the state of these Games? It is a BIG DEAL. The camel's back is arching pretty low and one more straw, it will break. India BLEW IT!

It seems from reading around this that the story is nowhere near as dramatic or serious as some articles are making out. It's still indicitive of the larger shambles going on around it, but it is a relatively minor fault, albeit one which should have been dealt with weeks if not months ago had the venue been ready by at that time.

As expected, the response went like this:

Delhi Chief Minister Sheila Dikshit said the falling of false ceiling was not a major incident to hamper the games.

Read more: False ceiling collapses at Commonwealth Games venue - The Times of India http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/sports/events-tournaments/commonwealth-games/top-stories/False-ceiling-collapses-at-Commonwealth-Games-venue/articleshow/6605975.cms#ixzz10FzSHPAS

Seriously what can be considered serious to them before something is done to the rest of the venues? Only when an entire concrete ceiling comes crashing down right over living people? Or perhaps it is not so important as long as it only hits local workers and not foreign athletes?

I am seriously, just read this:

Public works minister Raj Kumar Chauhan told reporters the bridge, linking the stadium's parking lot to the venue, was meant exclusively for athletes and officials, underlying the lack of attention to facilities tom-tommed as world-class. But later in the day, as fears over safety grew, Delhi chief minister Sheila Dikshit, while visiting the injured at AIIMS, tried to play it down insensitively by saying the overbridge was meant for ordinary spectators.

Read more: False ceiling collapses at Commonwealth Games venue - The Times of India http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/sports/events-tournaments/commonwealth-games/top-stories/False-ceiling-collapses-at-Commonwealth-Games-venue/articleshow/6605975.cms#ixzz10G06YZEX

The lives of ordinary spectators are worth less to Sheila Dikshit, apparently.

Yeap at your own risk it probably has to be:

SYDNEY: An Australian television news crew says it was able to enter the main Commonwealth Games arena carrying a case for an explosives detonation kit without being stopped, just days before the event begins. The Channel 7 journalist, who also filmed black-market explosives on sale near New Delhi, walked into the venue carrying the case, capable of triggering up to 200 explosions if fitted with a detonator, without attracting suspicion.

Read more: Australia TV crew brings detonation kit into venue - The Times of India http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/articleshow/6599504.cms#ixzz10G9GlsJd

Yeap at your own risk it probably has to be:

While I believe this is true, Channel 7 is now just exploiting the situation for their own sensationalist gain.

Assholes.

SYDNEY: An Australian television news crew says it was able to enter the main Commonwealth Games arena carrying a case for an explosives detonation kit without being stopped, just days before the event begins. The Channel 7 journalist, who also filmed black-market explosives on sale near New Delhi, walked into the venue carrying the case, capable of triggering up to 200 explosions if fitted with a detonator, without attracting suspicion.

Read more: Australia TV crew brings detonation kit into venue - The Times of India http://timesofindia....s#ixzz10G9GlsJd