Delhi 2010

It is good to know that there are still plenty of sensible and honest people in India:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-south-asia-11101288

Delhi Chief Minister Sheila Dixit, on the other hand, had the cheek to blame the Gods: ""It appears that Lord Indra [the rain god] is unhappy with us...I will appeal to him to bring some sunshine. If the rain stops and sun comes out, we will be able to complete the work by 10-15 September. Otherwise we will have to extend the deadline...By the grace of god, we will be able to finish everything by 3 October."

Ms Dixit, your construction process was supposed to be completed years ago. Even if it was to be completed this year, they were meant to be complete by 31 March, which would be several months prior to the onset of the main monsoon season from mid-June to mid-September. You mean you guys are not aware of your own weather patterns? Even your own weatherman has predicted as early as July, that the rains may wreak havoc during the games itself because the monsoon season was delayed this year.

http://commonwealthdelhi2010.blogspot.com/2010/07/delayed-monsoon-threaten-commonwealth.html

Why did your committee not act on that and take precautionary action? Why did you not consider measures to prevent flooding at your main venues, even if the monsoon behaved normally this year? Why did you not plan for the worse case scenario, instead of trusting everything to the Gods?

If you blame your rain God for awarding you with the worst monsoon season in 30 years, than perhaps he is blessing you for placing complete trust in him?

The praise for the Athletes Village seems to have come after a press event. It is all fine and good to show your best side to the media and officials at a staged event, but if each one of the thousands of rooms the athletes will be using isn't up to par then praise is premature.

This is exactly the point which seems to have been missed by this particular poster on SSC:

what the f@$k is goin on around here??

just 4-5 days ago the Games Village was the "Best Games Village Ever"(which was given by a British guy)....and now all of a sudden there are "concerns" that the games might get cancelled because of "Unpreparedness of the Village"??

i mean why cant these dumb Brits make up their mind??

:huh::lol:

Unfortunately the Commonwealth Games thread on that forum has been locked so I wasn't able to offer an explanation to him.

Edited by RobH

I noticed the same. Apparently they dont want to face the truth and they keep whining things like ''OH GAWD WHY EVERYONE IS BEING SO NEGATIVE IF YOU DONT WANT TO WRITE SOMETHING POSITIVE DONT EVEN COME HERE BAWWWW DELHI IS GONNA BE THE BESTS GAMES EVAAAH''....or something

Sorry guys but with such a disastrous organization is hard to write something positive.

I just don't get why the Indians wanted the 2010 CWGs in the first place only to do such a lousy job preparing for them!! :rolleyes:

Seems to me the organizing committee have been massively over-complacent and cavalier in their attitudes to time-scales and deadlines not to mention the corruption and incompetence that seems to be rife! If New Delhi wanted the CWGs in order to showcase their country to the world,I wonder what impression they think this is going to have on said world??

Makes me feel sad and worried about the effect all this will have on the future of the CWGs! :unsure:

I’m looking forward to the Deli games , the opening ceremony should be incredible , and they will probably surprise every one with an amazing games,

Lets get things in perspective Bridges have collapsed in a Britain as well not to mention wobbled as well,

When things go wrong in India we have to make sure we don’t fall bank onto our colonial habits and start blaming those dammed natives ,

I’m sure it will all be aright on the night.

Lets get things in perspective Bridges have collapsed in a Britain as well not to mention wobbled as well,

Let us not minimize what has happened.

A bridge which should have been constructed and tested by now collapsed injuring over a dozen workers. We are lucky no one was killed.

What if the bridge was a bit stronger? It could have collapsed as hundred of people were on it on their way to the OC. If this pedestrian bridge was unsafe, what other venues and infrastructure could collapse as well? How can we trust the organizing committee to deal with the more sophisticated matters such as security?

Canada needs to be responsible and pull out rather than subject our athletes to a risky environment for the sake of what is ultimately just a spectacle.

There is none of that attitude at all. If London 2012 is in a similar mess 10 days before it begins the comments will be exactly the same. The preparations for these games have been shambolic and pointing out this blatently obvious fact is in no way comparable to the duke of edinburgh saying a fuse box looked like it had been "wired by an Indian".

Edited by RobH

I am concerned about the lack of proper test events at many many venues. The structure of these venues, the security, transport etc.

South Africa was not without issues, but completing venues early on means that in Nelspruit they could change the pitch 3 times. They could host test events, large and small and full internal, external and aerial security drills were started years before kick-off.

Stadium security quit during the WC on a match day at many venues, essentially a disaster but the contingency was the police, they stepped in on match day and the issue was sorted out.

With a bridge to the main stadium not in place this close to the Games, and now collapsing, its now the venues that are in the spotlight, the basic operations, are there backups in place?

I do feel like things "will be fine" and I can't wait for the opening, but its really scary how many Games areas, infrastructure and operations, are at risk given the preparations.

Its perhaps also sad being from the developing world that India has allowed things to get this bad, in large parts due to denial and egos and corruption.

Edited by Mo Rush

SA awaits government's Commonwealth decision

Share | [/url] 22 September 2010, 00:09

South African Commonwealth Games team chiefs are awaiting a report and will be "guided by government" before deciding whether to send their athletes to the crises-wracked Games in Delhi after a pedestrian bridge collapsed beside the main stadium on Monday.

A 100-metre bridge leading to the Jawaharlal Nehru Stadium collapsed on Monday, with at least 23 construction workers injured, five of them seriously. They were taken to hospital. The bridge collapsed when the labourers were applying a concrete layer to the bridge.

It is the latest blow for the Commonwealth Games, which are scheduled to start on October 3, although that is doubtful and the preparations of the Games are now said to be in chaos, with construction woes and security concerns.

The organisers have fallen behind in the construction of the athletes'

village, with team leaders from England, Scotland, Wales, New Zealand, Australia and Canada saying the village was "sub-standard and one delegation claiming they were "unsafe and unfit for human habitation".

The Times of India have reported that just 18 of the 34 towers at the village are fully complete, while the Scottish delegation said some of the flats were filthy and had to be cleaned. Athletes will begin arriving in Delhi from tomorrow.

New Zealand chef de mission Dave Currie said he believe the facilities were below standard. He told Newstalk ZB: "The way things are looking, it's not up to scratch. The reality is that if the village is not ready and athletes can't come, the implications are that it's not going to happen. It is unacceptable from the organising committee that they have put athletes through this."

The majority of the South African team are due to leave for Delhi on Sunday night. Tubby Reddy, CEO of the South African Sports Confederation Committee (Sascoc), under whom the South African team fall, said they will consider a report by their delegation before making a statement today.

"We have heard about the bridge collapsing and the concerns over the village, but we won't be making any decision until we have gone over the report in detail from our delegation," said Reddy.

"We sent the chef de mission Patience Shikwambana, one of the team doctors and a representative from the intelligence services to inspect. We don't have the full information and want to have all the information in front of us before we make a decision. We will also be guided by Government in this. We won't compromise the safety or the health of our athletes."

The health is the biggest factor, with security also now a concern.

Commonwealth Games Federation president Michael Fennell has admitted that the village is "seriously compromised" and has written to the Indian Cabinet Secretary expressing his "great concern".

He said: "The village is the cornerstone of any Games and the athletes deserve the best possible environment to prepare for their competition. Many nations that have already sent their advanced parties to set up within the village have made it abundantly clear that, as of the afternoon of September 20, the Commonwealth Games village is seriously compromised."

India's Urban Development minister Jaipal Reddy has responded to claims of inhospitable living conditions in the Commonwealth Games village, by assuring participating nations over New Delhi's ability to host the event.

Reddy said: "Concerns about cleanliness and maintenance will be addressed urgently and properly. You have nothing to worry about.

There is no complaint on the quality of Commonwealth Games village. This is about the quality of services and the quality of maintenance.

"They wanted more labour to be pressed into service. And more labour will be provided to attend to cleanliness and maintenance. These are all minor hiccups. We don't like to neglect any one of them. The athletes have not arrived yet and by that time they come in a couple of days, all concerns will be addressed. I can tell you with all the sincerity at my command that I am not worried at all. I am as confident and as cool as ever about organising the Commonwealth Games in a successful, comfortable way.

"You must form your judgment until after the games are held. If the staging of games is faulty or deficient you should definitely raise questions. But at the moment we are all in the process of preparing and I would ask everybody to withhold their judgment."

Jeez, when I went to bed last night, it was TV news clips showing explosives being sold out of the boots of cars near the stadiums. Wake up this morning and there's a bridge collapse!

Sigh! What next? We should have a sweep now to guess who's the first team, and when, to pull out.

Australia. I don't think England have the balls. South Africa and NZ will do what Australia do. Ireland will do what England do.

Some African countries will follow South Africa. Canada and Australia will talk but Canada will not pull out before Australia.

Australia. I don't think England have the balls. South Africa and NZ will do what Australia do. Ireland will do what England do.

Some African countries will follow South Africa. Canada and Australia will talk but Canada will not pull out before Australia.

All it will take is one for the momentum to start.