Delhi 2010

I think the spokesman is full of sh!t.

Do you mean the Telegraph story or the denial Faster?. This is the main story on the front of today's Telegraph. I doubt they'd have run it at all if they weren't pretty confident in their source, let alone on the front page.

15510169.jpg

I think there's definitly something in this, and the truth almost certainly lies inbetween the two opposing stories.

Do you mean the Telegraph story or the denial Faster?. This is the main story on the front of today's Telegraph. I doubt they'd have run it at all if they weren't pretty confident in their source, let alone on the front page.

15510169.jpg

I think there's definitly something in this, and the truth almost certainly lies inbetween the two opposing stories.

The English CWGF spokesman.

I don't think any country in the CW has not had the discussions about the possibility of not going to Delhi due to security.

At this stage, Australia says it's going, but will bring along our own Federal Police for securrrity:

Federal police will travel to India with Australia's Commonwealth Games team next year amid growing concerns the event could be targeted by terrorists, according to reports.

AFP officers travelled with Australian athletes to the Beijing Olympics last year, but this would reportedly be the first time they have been required to accompany a Commonwealth Games team.

Australian Commonwealth Games Organisation chief executive Perry Crosswhite told the Daily Telegraph the team had also hired its own private security to take to Delhi.

Mr Crosswhite reportedly said the organisation was being kept up to date on the latest information about potential security threats, and individual athletes would make the final decision on whether to compete.

Earlier this year, the Australian Commonwealth Games Association raised concerns about security after the Mumbai terrorist attacks which killed 170 people in November 2008 and the Sri Lankan cricket team ambush in Pakistan in March 2009.

Yesterday a report in a London newspaper suggested that England was on the verge of withdrawing from the event.

An unnamed Government source was quoted in The Telegraph as saying that there was "virtually no chance" a team would be sent to the 80 year-old Games which will be held in in October.

"If you are an English athlete there is no way you are going to want to risk your life competing at the Games. We currently cannot see any way that England will be able to send a team to Delhi next year," another unidentified source told the newspaper.

However, England general team manager Ann Hogbin immediately refuted the claim, issuing a statement to The Associated Press saying "we have not received any indication that we should not participate in the Games."

"Of course, we have a duty of care to the athletes and other team members which we take very seriously.

"Despite having been given extensive briefings from relevant authorities, we have not received any indication that we should not participate in the games and we will continue to work hard to put in place the best possible arrangements for our team."

Earlier this month, the Commonwealth Games Federation (CGF) gave assurances that India could provide a safe environment for all participants at the New Delhi Games.

"Security has been the concern and it has been expressed generally by some countries. We are happy to say that India as a country has number one priority in security and they are doing, say heightened intelligence monitoring, or other things required to be done," CGF chief Michael Fennell said.

I'd expect England would do something similar.

:mellow: Mainly to our England GB members out there...

Would it really matter if England didn't attend, considering a Home Olympics will only be two years away and most athletes would be 'saving' themselves for it anyway?

Still, I hope England attends - just bring your own security forces as well.

I'm from England and I think it would be a huge shame not to see England at the Commonwealth Games. If Scotland is hosting the games in 2014, to not have a showing for the whole of Britain would just be simply negative for the games in Glasgow.

:mellow: Mainly to our England GB members out there...

Would it really matter if England didn't attend, considering a Home Olympics will only be two years away and most athletes would be 'saving' themselves for it anyway?

Still, I hope England attends - just bring your own security forces as well.

I'm not English but it would be a huge shame if England did not compete but the safety of athletes must be put above all else.

It would also hugely affect the quality of the games themselves - lots of top notch athletes would be missing. Further, the symbolism that the wealthiest nation in the commonwealth, a nation part of the 'British Empire' which created these games in the first place, would be missing would severely undermine the games.

I'm from England and I think it would be a huge shame not to see England at the Commonwealth Games. If Scotland is hosting the games in 2014, to not have a showing for the whole of Britain would just be simply negative for the games in Glasgow.

this is regarding this years games, not 2014, there will be an English team at Glasgow

The only way England or any nation would not go to Delhi is if there was a terrorist attack before the games, that would put the athletes and spectators at risk

More smoke clouds:

SUNSHINE Coast butterflyer Nick D’Arcy says he has been told by Swimming Australia insiders that the 2010 Commonwealth Games may have to be abandoned due to security concerns.

Last night, D’Arcy told the Daily that there was a very real possibility that the Games would have to be moved from host city New Delhi in order for them to go ahead.

The news comes in the wake of British media reports last week that the English team was preparing to pull out for fear of being targeted by Pakistani terrorists.

While English officials hit back at the claims, D’Arcy said information he had received painted a more dire picture.

“To be honest, I haven’t really heard anything from anyone that’s really authoritative,” he said.

“But what I’m hearing from inside Swimming Australia is that India won’t be ready to host the games.

“(Australia) were going to be the fallback (host) but apparently there wasn’t enough time for that to happen.

“Now England is supposed to be the fallback. If it is held there it will completely change the complexion of the games.”

Australian games chief Perry Crosswhite has publicly stated that he expects Australia to field a team in New Delhi, but individual athletes would be free to withdraw.

Reports have also emerged that the Indian capital may not have the infrastructure in place in time for the October 3 opening ceremony.

Following his well-publicised banning from the 2008 Beijing Games and the 2009 World Championships, D’Arcy seems more intent than ever to qualify for the 2010 Commonwealth Games.

He said he was trying to maintain a steely gaze on a medal finish in New Delhi and not be distracted by talk of security concerns.

“All I can do is put my head down and train, really,” he said.

“It’s no use worrying about it. We’ll see as we get closer to the camp.

“Right now I have to get the times to get there.”

D’Arcy made a successful return to the Australian team during the World Shortcourse Championships in November last year, beating home American superstar Michael Phelps in the 200m butterfly to claim third place.

The 22-year-old said he now had his eye on the Australian Championships in Sydney in March.

He hopes to swim well enough to claim a place in the Commonwealth Games team in his pet event, the 200m butterfly.

Sunshine Coast Daily

England pulled out of the Badmington Championships in India last year, but there were no problems with security there.

I can understand there concerns but if they were to pull out of every sporting event that took place in a country where there were the risk of terrorism and violence they wouldnt compete in anything.

Barcelona hosted the Olympics under the threat of ETA

South Africa has a major gun problem, yet the English team are still going

:mellow: There is no chance of the CWGs moving elswhere now...They will only be cancelled if the worst situation occurs.

If England was to pull out it probibly wouldn't matter - just a bad look - but if it starts a domino effect, with the likes of Canada, Australia, South Africa etc dropping out, then we have a problem.

this is regarding this years games, not 2014, there will be an English team at Glasgow

The only way England or any nation would not go to Delhi is if there was a terrorist attack before the games, that would put the athletes and spectators at risk

I know. I was asked my opinion, as an Englishman "Would it really matter if England didn't attend" - and I stated that it would, as I believe it would have a negative impact on 2014 with the games coming to Britain.

I know. I was asked my opinion, as an Englishman "Would it really matter if England didn't attend" - and I stated that it would, as I believe it would have a negative impact on 2014 with the games coming to Britain.

Why though? if England do not go to Delhi 2010, why would this have an impact on Glasgow 2014, it would if they decided not to go to Glasgow aswell

I think it'd have a negative, lingering impact in the lead up to Glasgow. But I don't think it's worth overexaggerating that impact unless several teams pull out of this year's Games; something which would throw the whole organisation in crisis. If England pull out and no other team does, it'll impact our athletes mostly and Delhi's Games to an extent. Its impact on Scotland's Games, though, will be minimal.

Edited by RobH

:mellow: CWGs are still some ten months away...Anythings likley with such a risky venue, but hey - Seoul '88 was well within artillary range from the North Korean border, and everyone that mattered showed up anyway.

:blink: As for any retribution in 2014 if England was not to show up this year, highly unlikely...But dumb luck would have it...Look what happened in 1986. - It wasn't even Scotland's fault!!! :(

• 2 weeks later...

Now they're tackling more sacred cows:

New Delhi, Jan 13 (PTI) Former BJP President Rajnath Singh today requested the Delhi administration and Commonwealth Games organising committee to keep beef out of the menu during the sports event to be held in October, arguing that it would hurt religious sentiments.

Singh made this request through letters to Delhi Lieutenant Governor Tejinder Khanna and Chairman, Organising Committee, Commonwealth Games, Suresh Kalmadi.

Referring to a resolution adopted by Municipal Corporation of Delhi (MCD) to keep beef out of the menu for the Commonwealth Games, Singh said, "The MCD resolution becomes significant as it reflects the cultural and religious sentiments of the majority of the people living in Delhi."

The Ghaziabad MP, who completed his term as BJP president last month, maintained that this resolution also "reverberates the voice of the entire nation".

• 2 weeks later...
CWG wrestling venue ready

The Shooting Venue Will Also Be Completed By Next Sunday

TIMES NEWS NETWORK

New Delhi: It seems the nervous delays about Games venues is now a thing of the past. Five days after the first venue — Major Dhyan Chand National Stadium — was officially opened, Delhi chief minister Sheila Dikshit and organising committee chairman Suresh Kalmadi on Friday inaugurated the Ludlow Castle wrestling training centre.

Next Sunday, Dr Karni Singh Shooting Range, the venue for shooting events, is scheduled to be officially completed. Two more stadia — Thyagraj and Chhatarsal — would also be ready by March. PWD announced that it will also complete two infrastructure projects related to the Games every month.

Ludlow Castle wrestling training centre is the first venue built by Delhi government. ‘‘The wrestlers of the capital now have a great training facility. Once the Games are over, it will be very useful for children too,’’ Dikshit said.

Though the government had sanctioned Rs 20 crore, the project was completed at a cost of Rs 13 crore in 11 months. The venue was built after demolishing the badminton hall. The ground floor has various facilities such as restrooms, gym, cafeteria, physiotherapy centres, doping control centre, changing rooms, sauna bath and a medical centre. The first floor has a training hall, which can accommodate six wrestling mats at a time.

Last Sunday, the revamped Dhyan Chand Stadium was opened by Union sports minister M S Gill while both Dikshit and Kalmadi were reportedly not invited. However, on Friday, while both Dikshit and Kalmadi were present, Gill was missing. ‘‘This is a minor issue,’’ Dikshit told reporters.

Despite the progress, the CM said that it would be difficult to complete all projects related to the Commonwealth Games 2010 in the next eight months. ‘‘We need to work hard. There will be no excuse of rain or heat for delay in completing all projects. But I believe we will complete the work,’’ she said.

The CM also asked school students to be prepared to work as volunteers during the Games. Delhi government would provide 10,000 school guides for the inaugural function.

Praising Dikshit for her wholehearted support, Kalmadi claimed that the Games would be the best one so far. ‘‘It will be better than the Melbourne Games. We will try to bring the Olympics in 2020,’’ he added.

wrest.jpg

Source - Times of India

• Like 1