Delhi 2010

Question: why is the main motif in Delhi's logo in the shape of a nautilus shell? I mean Delhi is NOWHERE near a natural body of water? Was Delhi under water eons ago? Is there some fractal meaning to the logo that one doesn't quikcly pick up??

Please, don't tell me it's because Jules Verne's fictional sub captain, Captain Nemo, was of Indian extraction??? :blink::blink:

A Shankha or Conch shell is used in Hinduism to begin and carry forward rituals,battles(in old times) or any occasion.Its sound symbolizes awakening,beginning of a new era and call of God.The sound swirls out and spreads everywhere.In this logo it goes with the motto of this of the game"Come out and play."; in place of sound people of India and world in different colours(different races and origin) being depicted as a rainbow(unity in diversity) coming out from a Shankh like the divine sound and spreading everywhere awareness and thrill about game(basically they are coming out and playing).

Dakshinavarti_Shankh-The_Right-Handed_Conch_Shell-ElementImage.jpg

Lord Krishna and Arjun playing a conch thus beginning the epic battle of Mahabharata.

A multi-coloured hindu conch.

A Shankha or Conch shell is used in Hinduism to begin and carry forward rituals,battles(in old times) or any occasion.Its sound symbolizes awakening,beginning of a new era and call of God.The sound swirls out and spreads everywhere.In this logo it goes with the motto of this of the game"Come out and play."; in place of sound people of India and world in different colours(different races and origin) being depicted as a rainbow(unity in diversity) coming out from a Shankh like the divine sound and spreading everywhere awareness and thrill about game(basically they are coming out and playing).

Lord Krishna and Arjun playing a conch thus beginning the epic battle of Mahabharata.

A multi-coloured hindu conch.

Perfectly competent explanation, yashchauhan. Thank you and welcome to the Best Boards in the land and air!!! :)

Shahrukh wants to perform in CWG opening ceremony

New Delhi, Nov 1 The controversy-marred build-up notwithstanding, Bollywood star Shah Rukh Khan today said next year's Commonwealth Games here would be successful and expressed his desire to perform at the event's opening ceremony.

"God willing, I think India will hold a successful Commonwealth Games. I am confident about that," Khan told reporters on the sidelines of the Airtel Delhi Half Marathon.

Khan said he would love to perform during the opening ceremony of the event at the Jawahar Lal Nehru Stadium and would also come to watch some of the sporting events.

"I would love to perform (in the opening ceremony). It really sounds great. I will come during CWG. Get ready Dilliwalo," he said amid loud cheers from fans.

Khan said it was heartening to see such a large number of people braving the early morning chill to participate in the half marathon. - (Agencies)

Nov 01, 2009

....now with this the big question arises especially for Indian guys...................IN THE OPENING CEREMONY WHICH BOLLYWOOD STAR YOU WOULD LIKE TO SEE.......The Melbourne closing ceremony saw Aishwarya,Lara,Priyanka,Rani and Saif performing along with Singers like Sonu,Sunidhi,Shreya and Shamak...............or simply give your expectations and ideas about the ceremony........

My preferences are:-

laliths_news_1191032600328.jpg

1.Lata Mangeshkar-she gave India a voice which acts as symbol for India.

2.jpeg

2.Priyanka Chopra-a typical Indian beauty,perofrmed as Atlantis Queen in the opening ceremony of Palm Al Jumeriah,Dubai...looked so stunning that Sir Richard Branson called her the most gorgeous woman he has seen ever.

Katrina%20Kaif%20(2).jpg

3.Katrina Kaif-the girl that replaced Aishwarya as the queen of Bollywood.a symbol of UK and Indian beauty combined.

...................rest afterwards!

I guess the issues now are not so much venues delhiman but the coordination with eth CWG Federation, organisation of tickets, sponsorship, security, volunteers etc. If they don't get moving in these areas in the next month or so it will be too late.

I fully agree with you. But I hope that they have planned it also in a big way.

What is this happening ? Somebody expressed his or her happiness over more indians joining in the discussion and I am seeing a complete lull ever since. Where are all the participants gone ? Come on lets have some fruitful discussion over the commonwealth games 2010. For example is there anybody who can discuss under preparedness of China before Olympics there ? :

What is this happening ? Somebody expressed his or her happiness over more indians joining in the discussion and I am seeing a complete lull ever since. Where are all the participants gone ? Come on lets have some fruitful discussion over the commonwealth games 2010. For example is there anybody who can discuss under preparedness of China before Olympics there ? :

Do you think China was underprepared before the Beijing games? I remember at some point that the IOC were telling them to slow down. No one is telling Delhi to slow down

Most of the people are active at SSC India, that's why it would be a double effort to post everything twice. I'll try to post articles here as well.

Cycle rally held in Delhi to promote Commonwealth Games

by ANI on November 1, 2009

in National

New Delhi, Nov 1(ANI): Delhi Chief Minster Sheila Dikshit on Sunday flagged off a cycle rally for school children here to create mass awareness about the Commonwealth Games, to be held in the city in October 2010.

Around 250 students participated in the rally, which started from Rajghat and passed through Ajmeri Gate, Paharganj, Rani Jhansi Marg, Tees Hazari, ISBT, Mori Gate, Red Fort and finally came to an end at Rajghat.

Dikshit said that she supported the cause of riding bicycles, as it was a good exercise and also pollution free.

“I want to give this message to children that they should ride bicycles and travel on bicycles as far as they can. This is pollution free and it is also an exercise,” Dikshit said.

The 2010 Commonwealth Games will be country’s first major international [^] sports event after the 1982 Asian Games.

Earlier, New Delhi had hosted the inaugural Asian Games in 1951 and again in 1982. (ANI)

+

commonwealth_20090528.jpg........an old pic of an U/C indoor stadium for boxing..

talkatora_stadium.jpg...the final product by march 2010.

+

CP_RENOVATION_5051f.jpg.........the renovated facade of city's downtown connaught place....................

06.JPG.......some more of connaught place.

........................more news, updates and city info. on the way!

ms_gill_commonwealth_200910.jpg

Oct 26, 2009

Sports Minister M.S. Gill inspects the work at Jawahar Lal Nehru stadium, the main venue for the 2010 Commonwealth Games, in New Delhi. Preparations for the event are behind schedule and Commonwealth Games Federation had said Delhi faces serious challenges in being ready to host the games.

jln_stadium_20091026.jpg

Oct 26, 2009

Construction site of Jawaharlal Nehru Stadium in New Delhi. Reconstruction of the 27-year-old stadium will miss the December 31 deadline and the venue for the opening and closing ceremonies of the 2010 Commonwealth Games would need three more months to get ready because a newly proposed tunnel has to be built.

A photo by Kronik of SSC INdia......a bit older........duh.........gives you the idea of the overall size and structure of the sports complex!

img1302t.jpg

Dear yashchauhan do you have some lates pictures of under construction national stadium and shivaji stadium apart from yamuna vellodrum ?

Apart from new pictures of under construction stadiums we can also discuss some other under construction facilities for the commonwealth games 2010.

Please also let me know do you really think that we have a great danger of having under prepared stadium or does it make any big differecne if the JLN is ready in March, 2010 instead of Dec 2009 ?

Apart from new pictures of under construction stadiums we can also discuss some other under construction facilities for the commonwealth games 2010.

Please also let me know do you really think that we have a great danger of having under prepared stadium or does it make any big differecne if the JLN is ready in March, 2010 instead of Dec 2009 ?

First of all to be very frank and calm....YES!YES!YES!...SOS>>>we have a very big danger that our stadiums ,sport facilities and the city as a whole turn out to be a huge mess during games..........and I have zero faith in our government and administration system...........only god can save us(apart from Sonia because I think so that she is the only person(also most powerful in the country) who has not yet issued any statement on the games).Now,let say that the venues get ready by March 2010 then we shall have 8 months to test them,remove the flaws and make them ready before the games...........but 8<11..so OBVIOUSLY.....Dec deadline is better for us.

Now,where is the silver lining and what are the dark clouds.........

S.L.=Venues catching up quickly+growing enthusiasm+government will(at last).

D.C.=SPM Aquatics centre..........hav a look..do you reallly think that it will be done even befor Aug 2010.........

Present...booohooo

IMG_0111.jpg

future...wow......

Dr.SPM-Aquatics-Complex-1.jpg

..................and the reallity that even after S.L.............venues are still far from their renderings..............

Thanks Yashchauhan. But I still think that if we start concentrating hard on the work on our hand, we can still deliver it in a big way. But still we are in a very dangerous situation. Even if Rahul comes in to fray we can manage without sonia or anybody else. Remember the role Rajiv Gandhi played in Asiad 1982.

Thanks Yashchauhan. But I still think that if we start concentrating hard on the work on our hand, we can still deliver it in a big way. But still we are in a very dangerous situation. Even if Rahul comes in to fray we can manage without sonia or anybody else. Remember the role Rajiv Gandhi played in Asiad 1982.

Ya.......we can , we will and we should but will we and can we are the questions that haunt us and INDIA............and are too early to get answered................but a centralized leadership like that of Rahul Gandhi backed by power and decision making capabilities can turn the games from the clouds of just managed to.............to the best games ever!!!!!!!!!!!

INDIA WILL (if everything goes good) lift the games to Olympics Level...............