Delhi 2010

Anyway, all this Delhi chaos makes Abuja 2018 even more unlikely.

I think the CWG Federation will go for safety. Probably back to OZ

Have you actually seen the footprint for the Gold Coast Bid ? Did you actually read the words of Mike Fennell When Scotland tried to have a co Hosting between Edinburgh and Glasgow for the 2014 games before Fennell laid down the Law that there would be no co hosting? A single diving Venue for Edinburgh in the Glasgow 2014 bid is one thing . Gold Coast has 4 events in Brisbane which is a further distance from Glasgow to Edinburgh then Brisbane is from Gold Coast. Gymnastics, Netballs Shooting and Squash will all be in Brisbane a former host city.

Then you have Basketball prelim rounds played in Cairns and Townsville . In the Case of Cairns it is 903 miles away from gold coast.

The talk at the General Assembly last year in Banjul was "Australia Again? "

STop trying to pin Developing Nation with Developing Nation because in the case of New Delhi compared to Abuja there is no comparing. Look at the Asian Games New Delhi staged in 1982 and the All-african games Abuja staged in 2003 Only looking at the run up phase of construction works .

New Delhi is performing in the same way for these commonwealth games in regards to Construction as they did for the 1982 Asian Games Very poorly.

Abuja in their capital phase was a dream compared with that . The Differences are that India is generally chaos with things in regards to long term projects and they have a centuries old city with all the problems of deferred maintenance and plan Urban planning . Abuja has some of the most vertically integrated construction companies in the World. These companies are Organized for Finances, Materials and Manpower . While in India they hardly train people for the construction trades . Then you have all Highway expansion for the 2014 bid to be completed by the time inspections for 2018 would occur, Then there is the LRt which will be 40 percent complete by 2011. This is all in a Highly planned city not having to correct urban transportation planning that was done for the horse and carriage era . Any city founded in the pre automobile age usually has those problems .

Comparing a Nigeria to India would be like Comparing Australia to the UK in very recent times. Australia has shown great expertise. Uk well it speaks for itself.

Cancellation of the World Athletics Championships of 2005.

jim Jones

Boy, the BBC plastered the Delhi preparation for next year's Commonwealth Games with concerns. It is going to get interesting, if the venues will be done on time.

Hooper misbehaved with staff: OC

NEW DELHI: Determined to get rid of Commonwealth Games Federation CEO Mike Hooper, the 2010 Games Organising Committee on Thursday alleged that

the CGF official had misbehaved with an OC staff in July.

More that two months after the incident, the OC distributed copies of its chairman Suresh Kalmadi's letter to CGF President Michael Fennell in which Kalmadi had alleged that Hooper had misbehaved with a director of the secretary general's office, throwing keys at the official's face.

"In this regard I would like to convey my advice that Mr. Hooper may operate from his office-cum-residence, which has been allotted by the OC," Kalmadi wrote in the July 31 letter, making it clear that Hooper was not welcome in the OC headquarters.

According to OC, Hooper tried to use the office space meant for OC vice chairman Randhir Singh and when he failed to open the door, he allegedly shouted at the director and threw the keys at his face.

The Organising Committee on Thursday called for Hooper's immediate withdrawal, saying the official was of "no use" despite staying in the capital for two years.

Link

They need somebody to blame so Mike Hoop Hoop it is

I am inclined to agree with this.

Delhi just need to get on with the bloody job and get it sorted. The games will come around soon enough and at this rate I have grave fears that preparations wont be completed on time.

Instead of blaming people for issues they just need to get on with it.

Time is ticking!!!!

International Shooting Federation Expert Graeme Hudson has Resigned the Committee.

I suppose with a a fellow Kiwi under attack he would want to leave.

An article has surfaced in the last few hours in India that the MP making the Noise about Sending Hooper back is being blamed for the problems with the games prep so hey even the Indians perhaps understand the place to lay the blame at is not Hoopers Feet.

Jim Jones

The writing was on the wall in Delhi

With Media only allowed certain access, and anyone talking to Media was shadowed

Hooper is very VERY good at his job and will not be going anywhere. Most CGA's respect him greatly.

India on the other hand are using Hooper as the punching bag for their own failures. Politics might work this way in India, but guess what OC Delhi 2010..... You have real work to do and everyone just kicked your ass to tell you this - Dont like the heat? Then GET OUT OF THE KITCHEN!

And to then blame the expert that was forced in due to inaction...That just shows how arrogant and disrespectful this Organising Committee is.

These Games are now the closets ever to being cancelled and the next 6 weeks are crutial, The OC knows this and is trying to pass the blame to Hopper. Unaccetable!

The writing was on the wall in Delhi

With Media only allowed certain access, and anyone talking to Media was shadowed

Hooper is very VERY good at his job and will not be going anywhere. Most CGA's respect him greatly.

India on the other hand are using Hooper as the punching bag for their own failures. Politics might work this way in India, but guess what OC Delhi 2010..... You have real work to do and everyone just kicked your ass to tell you this - Dont like the heat? Then GET OUT OF THE KITCHEN!

And to then blame the expert that was forced in due to inaction...That just shows how arrogant and disrespectful this Organising Committee is.

These Games are now the closets ever to being cancelled and the next 6 weeks are crutial, The OC knows this and is trying to pass the blame to Hopper. Unaccetable!

I completely agree with you. Hooper is being used as a scape goat

My opinon is that IF the organsing committee decide to dig their heels in and not allow the technical review committee full access, and do not back down on their Hopper Resign stupidity, then these Games are at a crisis.

They were clearly told in Delhi of the lack of confidence and faith in their ability to hold the Games. It all went downhill when Kalamadi kept trumpeting to the media that The Delhi 2010 Commonwealth Games will be the BEST EVER, only to have Mike Fennell say that the Games in India will not be as good as Melbourne or Manchester.

The everyone in Delhi got a bound book of all of the WONDERFUL media coverage of the games for the last 12 months. Not ONE Negative article was in this book - propaganda at its best and making the OC look totally stupid - as if ANYONE in the Commonwealth Games would believe this tripe when it was clearly evident that Delhi is a shambles.

All the persons of high level in the OC are their for their own political purpose and power reigns, look at all the Indian Olympic Officials wearing two hats instead of appointing true professional expereinced managment. If someone of higher statue would take the job, their position on the IOA is at risk.

Then you have to look at some of the companies appointed to assist with the Games. I can not go into detail but everyone would be astounded as to what was on offer with some of the winning tenders and the general business feeling in India. Thats why they only have ONE SPONSOR announced last week, Air India, who are also stuffing up something else (cant detail it yet), and most of the CGAs are really upset about this. When the media get hold of this one it will be a whammy!

Needless to say the Delhi 2010 Commonwealth Games are at a massive and serious risk of cancellation. The next few weeks are absolutely CRITICAL to the Games going ahead.

So if the OC allows Mike Hopper to stay, Egg on whos face? They wont allow this to happen

So if the CGF says Mike Hopper stays to carry out the technical review committee and appropriate management, and the OC does not allow this to happen, then the writing is on the wall.

There is so much more to this but for the moment this is adequate to say as it is in the public domain.

I can't help but have some schadenfreude right now. They had a choose between a safe bid that was fully supported or taking the risk and going to India.

Also they problems were evident 4 years ago, the CWG federation should been applying the pressure for the word go but they didn't and know they have the elephant in the rom.

The CGF was applying pressure from the word go - there were reports back during the Melbourne Games about no venue contracts being signed, doubts over security and health issues - as well as budget concerns. The Indian organisers were saying their Games would be bigger than Melbourne - and would even rival the upcoming Beijing Olympics!!

I understand why the CGF went with Delhi - the same reason why the IOC went with Rio - however Delhi was less prepared than Rio is today by a wiiiiiiiiiiiiiide margin.

If they take the Games away from Delhi there is no back up. Kuala Lumpur needs a village, Melbourne needs a village and to put a track back in the MCG, Manchester needs an Athletics stadium, and London wont step in. If the CGF allows the Games to be hosted in early 2011 maybe KL or Melb could possibly step in - but I doubt that will happen. I don't think eother coty is champing at the bit for a CGs again and teh CGF is not in a position to throw huge money at a host like the IOC could in a pinch...

This is shocking. How unprofessional and childish.

Not only does Delhi face organizational risks, it has operational risks, security risks, delivery risks in terms of venues, procurement risks, accommodation risks...not to mention in-fighting

Usually a "new frontier" has some of these risks e.g. tender corruption, crime, slow pace of construction BUT Delhi appears to have almost all of them.

This is actually more serious than I thought.

Usually a "new frontier" has some of these risks e.g. tender corruption, crime, slow pace of construction BUT Delhi appears to have almost all of them.

This is actually more serious than I thought.

I think the pics of the construction sites of the venues in Dehli "speak volumes" - CGF could be happy if Dehli 2010 took place!