Delhi 2010

OK Jim I have been reluctant to respond to your posts but I cant hold off anymore, I have tried to be tollerant with your posts

I was in India and the construction is JUST AS BAD if not worse than any other Major event city I have ever been to. Not only that the office of Delhi 2010 is just a mess, chaos, lack of staff, I cant even go into the detail of the 50 minute wait for someone to actually attend the reception desk. I could have walked anywhere in the building without a single person stopping me

The problem is you are commenting on Delhi when you have not even been there, and making comments that are anti-establishment or anti-UK, AUS, CAN, etc. for the sake of making an argument.

I know you have goodwill to Nigeria, but this is not Abuja.

There is only two options left

1) The Games go ahead (Somehow)

2) The Games are cancelled and moved to 2011

There is no moving the Games in 2010 but the above 2 options are on the agenda

My 2 cents worth, going to back to viewing posts again like I prefer to do most days

I actually wish you would respond more, its nice to read sense over garbage all the time.

There was an article on the BBC that said that Delhi cannot be moved anymore. Its either go ahead or cancel and canceling would be a huge slap in the face to India.

From my sources, Melbourne and another city remain on standby.

Preparations remain slow and behind schedule.

The Olympic Village is approximately 35% complete with work yet to begin on the facade and roof of the main stadium.

Melbourne back in mix as venue for 2010 Commonwealth Games

The attack on the Sri Lankan team bus in Pakistan, which killed six police and injured seven players, has heightened fears about potential attacks on sporting events in the region.

New Delhi is due to host the Commonwealth Games next year and organisers insist they can deal with any potential threat.

Prominent figures have called for the games to be cancelled or relocated, with Melbourne a potential destination.

Australia's former Olympic champion swimmer Dawn Fraser called for the Games to be cancelled and said they should already have been moved from New Delhi after November's terror attacks in Mumbai, the Associated Press reports.

But Randhir Singh, secretary-general of the Indian Olympic Association, said security planning for the Commonwealth Games was on track.

"We're fully geared up to provide adequate security to the athletes and spectators at the Commonwealth Games,'' Singh told The Associated Press.

"New Delhi is going to make no compromise on security,'' said Singh, a vice-president of the Commonwealth Games organising body.

The London-based Commonwealth Games Federation (CGF) said today that security planning was on course.

"The CGF is enormously aware of the need to ensure that a safe and secure environment is provided for the Commonwealth's athletes at every games,'' said Michael Hooper, chief executive of the CGF.

"Security plans at all major events are subject to continual review and are amended as appropriate to reflect the threat assessment at a particular time,'' Hooper said in a statement.

"Everyone is committed to creating a safe and secure environment for the Commonwealth's athletes.''

Hooper said the CGF had its own security adviser, the Australian company Intelligent Risk.

Secret talks were held in December about the Games returning to Melbourne after Indian organisers ran into serious building delays.

"If the situation becomes untenable Melbourne stands ready, if asked, to host the Commonwealth Games," Premier John Brumby said hours after the attack.

Olympic greats Raelene Boyle and Grant Hackett said athlete safety was paramount and the region's unrest made it a dangerous proposition for competing nations.

Boyle experienced the horror of the Munich Olympics terror atrocity in 1972.

"That changed my life forever and it's so vivid in my mind having been in that city when innocent athletes were tragically targeted," Boyle said last night.

"I will never forget the impact that it had on so many lives and the sporting world. I think in light of what's happened in Mumbai, and now in Lahore, the Games in New Delhi are in serious jeopardy."

Grant Hackett said decisions would have to be made sooner rather than later to ensure the safety and welfare of individuals.

"If the risk is graded high, then I think there is simply only one option and that's to move the Games," the dual Olympic champion said.

The barriers to returning the Games to Melbourne would be the reconfiguration of the MCG into an athletics venue, scheduling conflicts with the AFL and the building of a new athletes' village.

Melbourne 2006 chairman Ron Walker yesterday confirmed talks were held late last year with Commonwealth Games chiefs about the Games coming back to Melbourne.

Australian Commonwealth Games Association chief executive Perry Crosswhite said the Games were unlikely to return to Melbourne.

"At this stage the Games are on at New Delhi 2010 and we have no reason to believe that they won't take place," he said.

He said the terror attack on the Sri Lankan cricket team did not spell the end for those Games. "I won't call it a new threat. I call it a new implication," Mr Crosswhite said.

"I don't think it means you automatically have to stop the Games.

"It's how you deal with it - that's what everyone is putting their minds to now."

He said ACGA officials would visit New Delhi in early April.

"Quite frankly it is very difficult to organise the Games anywhere else at this stage of the game," he said.

MCC general manager Stephen Gough said it was highly unlikely the MCG could be transformed in time to host the Games and the stadium management had not been approached by Commonwealth Games chiefs.

- By Stephen McMahon and Michael Warner

Commonwealth Games move ruled out

By Matt Slater

Delhi 2010's mascot Shera

The 2010 Games will be the largest multi-sport event ever held in India

The head of the Commonwealth Games has rejected any suggestion the 2010 event will be switched from Delhi as a result of fears about security in the region.

Tuesday's terror attack on the Sri Lankan cricket team in Pakistan has prompted further questions about Delhi's ability to stage the Games.

But Commonwealth Games Federation (CGF) boss Michael Hooper said Delhi would do whatever is required to ensure safety.

"There is no plan B, the Games will be here, that's the reality," he said.

"The Games are 20 months away and no other city, no matter how good its infrastructure, could manage to stage an event of this magnitude in the time now available.

"There has never been any discussion whatsoever about shifting the Games. The Games will be in Delhi in 2010."

I hope the 2010 Games will not take place in a state of lockdown

Michael Hooper

Commonwealth Games Federation

Hooper's comments follow calls from the Australian media to either cancel the 2010 Commonwealth Games or switch them to Melbourne, which hosted the event in 2006.

Australian swimming great Dawn Fraser was quoted widely on Wednesday warning against a repeat of the infamous scenes at the 1972 Munich Olympics, where 11 members of the Israeli team and a German police officer were killed by Palestinian militants.

But concerns over Delhi's security plans were growing even before this week's atrocity in Lahore. A series of bombings in Delhi killed 21 people last September but worse was to come two months later in Mumbai, where co-ordinated attacks by Islamic militants left more than 170 people dead.

Only last week a parliamentary committee warned the Indian Government that the security arrangements for Delhi 2010 were inadequate.

The Standing Committee on Home Affairs said "urgent measures" were required to make sure the event, which runs from 3-14 October, passes off safely.

The government's revised plans for the Games include hiring an additional 5,000 police in Delhi and handing responsibility for security on the city's metro system to the Central Industrial Security Force, a paramilitary unit.

These measures were presented to Hooper and CGF president Michael Fennell in Delhi on Monday, the day before the attack in Lahore, and then discussed at length by Delhi 2010's executive board, of which Hooper and Fennell are members, on Tuesday.

At those meetings Hooper was given assurances that the Games' organisers would implement a range of recommendations made by Intelligent Risk, the Australian-based company that advises the CGF on security matters.

Delhi 2010

As well as security concerns, Delhi is also behind schedule on infrastructure

The company visited Delhi last month and is scheduled to visit eight more times between now and next October.

Speaking to the Reuters press agency, organising committee chairman Suresh Kalmadi said Delhi 2010 would adopt similar security measures to those used by the Chinese authorities at the Beijing Olympics.

There a large military presence, airport-style security at venues and the widespread use of CCTV combined to create a secure but slightly sterile atmosphere.

"We have received commitments that a safe environment will be provided for the athletes to compete in, as they were for Manchester (the 2002 hosts) and Melbourne before," said Hooper, who has been on site in Delhi since late 2007.

"What will be the security envelope at Games time? It will be whatever is necessary to provide that safe environment, and our people will be working very closely with the authorities here to make sure that happens.

"We don't know for sure what will be happening next October. But I certainly hope the 2010 Games will not take place in a state of lockdown."

Hooper stressed that with the Games still 20 months away it would be unwise to draw any conclusions now about the precise details of the security plan but admitted that any guarantees of safety would be hollow promises.

"I think guarantee would be a silly word to be throwing about," he said. "I don't think anybody can provide guarantees, anywhere in the world."

The 2010 Commonwealth Games is scheduled to bring together over 4,000 athletes from more than 80 nations. Among those athletes should be some of the biggest stars from the Beijing Olympics - the likes of Jamaican sprinter Usain Bolt, Australian swimmer Stephanie Rice and British cycling legend Sir Chris Hoy.

Delhi won the right to stage the event in 2003 after several failed bids. It will be only the second Asian city to host the event after Kuala Lumpur in 1998. Glasgow has been awarded the 2014 Games.

They would be taking a big risk not having a standby or Plan B.

No official Plan B will be declared.

Well are you and Jeremine not the guys who say it can't be done and there is not compromise on an Overlay for the Games ?

I agree that indeed it is very difficult but what are the viable options really? The article quoting Mike Hooper details what has been said here in regards to Melbourne. The biggest problem I see it who actually pays for this as a rescue host ? The Commonwealth Games federation certainly does not have up to 100 million a day to chuck out for the Games operating expenses which we saw with Melbourne 2006. considering 175 million dollars was the gross take for the games I can't see the Taxpayers of Melbourne , Victoria or Australia being that happy to go for another round of losing money.

The only way I could see a Rescue host is indeed if it was with places with at least an athletics stadium were considered and then you work down the list of venues required . Hey who knows it could be something like Melbourne 1956 where equestrian events where held in Sweden Except maybe Track Cycling could indeed be held in Manchester if that is the only venue not ready in New Delhi.

Jim jones

OK Jim I have been reluctant to respond to your posts but I cant hold off anymore, I have tried to be tollerant with your posts

I was in India and the construction is JUST AS BAD if not worse than any other Major event city I have ever been to. Not only that the office of Delhi 2010 is just a mess, chaos, lack of staff, I cant even go into the detail of the 50 minute wait for someone to actually attend the reception desk. I could have walked anywhere in the building without a single person stopping me

The problem is you are commenting on Delhi when you have not even been there, and making comments that are anti-establishment or anti-UK, AUS, CAN, etc. for the sake of making an argument.

I know you have goodwill to Nigeria, but this is not Abuja.

There is only two options left

1) The Games go ahead (Somehow)

2) The Games are cancelled and moved to 2011

There is no moving the Games in 2010 but the above 2 options are on the agenda

My 2 cents worth, going to back to viewing posts again like I prefer to do most days

Well actually what I have been saying for a very very long time . ABUJA is indeed NOT NEW DELHI.

I know enough by the situation that has been reported on since 2005 with regards to New Delhi and actually Dealing With Indian techs in Bangalore Via Microsoft to no the level of responsibility in that country is a bit above ZERO.

No one could realistically step in at this time Not Manchester, Not Glasgow, Not Abuja , Not Melbourne or Kuala Lumpur without huge compromises so it might as well stay in New Delhi for what ever that means. In the History of Sports Festivals I can only recall places dropping a Games not the Games dropping a host.

Jim Jones

:mellow: Gosh...Gee, we just keep going around and around...

New Delhi will host the 2010 CWG's or there will be no games at all.

If the worst happens, then we may see a situation like during the 1980 SOG boycott where large regional games took place as a substitute. Or singular "Commonwealth" sports champs taken from the regular CWG events, like swimming, cycling, bowls etc.

:mellow: Gosh...Gee, we just keep going around and around...

New Delhi will host the 2010 CWG's or there will be no games at all.

If the worst happens, then we may see a situation like during the 1980 SOG boycott where large regional games took place as a substitute. Or singular "Commonwealth" sports champs taken from the regular CWG events, like swimming, cycling, bowls etc.

the people who keep going around here are the People actually reading the Press reports from Melbourne LOL. Executives in the Commonwealth Games federation , Former Ministers of Sport for Victoria State and many others in Melbourne Locally say it is not happening and could not possibly happen but the press persists on saying there are secret meetings and so on. It seems the HACKS in Melbourne want to dredge up what happens in Pakistan as a new excuse to why Melbourne is again "in the running".

Thing is lets say if the games were indeed taken away from New Delhi what would the voters who supported New Delhi Hosting do ? No one thinks of that in the White Commonwealth . I think no matter the race most would look at New Delhi 2010 as a big blunder but again if it can't go to the most populated Country in the Commonwealth then it really cuts to the relevance of the games to the whole group. This is probably why you are seeing some very adamant Statements from the Federation that it is New Delhi 2010 or Nothing .Question is what happens with the 100,000 dollar per country training grants New Delhi Laid out for votes LOL.

Jim Jones

Well, on a brighter note - the baton's been unveiled:

commonwealth-baton-delhi-313.jpg

New Delhi: The countdown for the 2010 Commonwealth Games has begun. At a mesmerizing event organised in the national capital, the prototype of Queen’s baton was unveiled.

This evening of visual delight and spectacular fireworks was organised by the Commonwealth Games committee and was witnessed by 50,000 people.

The evening also witnessed a show by UK’s flying angles who were 60 feet above the ground. And then there was Shera, the Mascot of the Commonwealth Games, who cheered the performers all through.

“The idea is to involve Delhites with the Games. We will have much more of this as Games 2010 nears,” says Chairman of Commonwealth Games, Suresh Kalmadi.

Delhi's Lieutenant governor unveiled the baton. He said the Government would pull out all the stops to make the event a success.

“All projects will be completed well in time to receive all our athletes, delegates, officials and other guests in a very befitting way,” says the Lt Governor.

The event was organised at the India Gate. The baton will travel through 71 nations before it returns to Delhi in October next year.

IBN

Well are you and Jeremine not the guys who say it can't be done and there is not compromise on an Overlay for the Games ?

Typical lie.

I have never said it couldn't be done as I have never said they could be no compromise on an Overlay for the Games.

What I said, and you know it, is that your claim that "Overlay could go through the window" was preposterous. You have since then modified your claim, explaining that what you meant by "Overlay could go through the window" is that it could be reduced, mentioning specifically the look of the Games part. With that I agree.

So please, keep embarrassing yourself put don't try to imply I have said things that I didn't say.

maybe everybody can bring their own pillows and sit around the competition area which would have no overlay so no competition equipment. everybody could bring torches to ensure the lighting requirement is also met.

Typical lie.

I have never said it couldn't be done as I have never said they could be no compromise on an Overlay for the Games.

What I said, and you know it, is that your claim that "Overlay could go through the window" was preposterous. You have since then modified your claim, explaining that what you meant by "Overlay could go through the window" is that it could be reduced, mentioning specifically the look of the Games part. With that I agree.

So please, keep embarrassing yourself put don't try to imply I have said things that I didn't say.

No you never have said that you have implied that a Games overlay is a Huge ordeal. Games Overlay is Important but like we saw with Athens 2004 they did not stick to the Prior games in regards to the Infield of the Main Stadium becuase they were that pressed to get things done. Now the American Greentech Turf Tray system is Standard for the Olympics.

I happened to read a little last night on what one key aspect of any major Sports Festival would have to have in Regards to the Overlay the Actual Track Surface for the Main Stadium . Seems Mondo completed their part of the Job laying the Birds Nest Stadium IAAF class One surface in a Mere 10 days. You are looking at preparing a level surface and apply the Substrates of course but Essentially with Mondo working on a prepared surface your not looking at a huge amount of time. Of course when you have new construction you have to have good lead times to have the substrates right. That requires settling time for asphalt. If it is Color the Surface would need like you would have in Edmonton or Abuja then would re painting a IAAF certified class One take ? Two Days with a Minimal Crew from Italy. Logically materials have to be delivered of course. These days there are dealer networks for everything pretty much everywhere.

The Reason Kuala Lumpur's Stadium is indeed not IAAF Class one is that the Certification Process has only started since 1999.

Lets Put it this way keeping the overlays via a normal run up would indeed be the least of the worries. Financing, Athletes Accoms and Security are going to be bigger barriers among others including immigration proceedings and accreditation.

Using existing venues that fit the footprints and meet the standards certainly would save time as opposed to having a Half complete stadium having to lay down everything .

Jim Jones

Now as too embarrassment for the Games the following development out of New Delhi I think could be the straw that ends the Games

This is just new Honestly

Computers with Games security plan stolen from police

Sobhana K

Posted: Mar 10, 2009 at 0023 hrs IST

New Delhi Theft in office of Delhi Police’s Joint Commissioner for Commonwealth Games inside colony campus

In a major embarrassment for the police department, computers containing security plans for next year’s Commonwealth Games have been stolen from the office of Delhi Police’s Joint Commissioner for the Games, J K Sharma.

The theft was discovered on Monday morning.

Sharma’s office is located inside the campus of a police residential colony. The Delhi Police’s fingerprint bureau is located next door to Sharma’s office, and the 7th battalion of the armed forces, also called the Commissioner Reserve Forces, which usually guard VIP movement in the Capital, is also stationed nearby.

Nearly 500 officers of the 7th battalion are posted here at any given time.

Yeah I bet the rest of the Commonwealth Games Associations will now be calling for the Games to be canceled . How stupid could a place be . Very Very Sad.

Jim jones

maybe everybody can bring their own pillows and sit around the competition area which would have no overlay so no competition equipment. everybody could bring torches to ensure the lighting requirement is also met.

Well hey I was thinking we could bring some wrenches and start assembly of the Scafolding in Green Point Stadium right after the World Cup in July of next year to save the Commonwealth Games in October and then host the All-African Games the Next year . Yeah we should be able to assemble scaffolding above the roof and beyond the end stands to make for a 180 metre long IAAF Tartan Track by September ROTFLMAO.

Jim Jones

No you never have said that you have implied that a Games overlay is a Huge ordeal. Games Overlay is Important but like we saw with Athens 2004 they did not stick to the Prior games in regards to the Infield of the Main Stadium becuase they were that pressed to get things done. Now the American Greentech Turf Tray system is Standard for the Olympics.

I happened to read a little last night on what one key aspect of any major Sports Festival would have to have in Regards to the Overlay the Actual Track Surface for the Main Stadium . Seems Mondo completed their part of the Job laying the Birds Nest Stadium IAAF class One surface in a Mere 10 days. You are looking at preparing a level surface and apply the Substrates of course but Essentially with Mondo working on a prepared surface your not looking at a huge amount of time. Of course when you have new construction you have to have good lead times to have the substrates right. That requires settling time for asphalt. If it is Color the Surface would need like you would have in Edmonton or Abuja then would re painting a IAAF certified class One take ? Two Days with a Minimal Crew from Italy. Logically materials have to be delivered of course. These days there are dealer networks for everything pretty much everywhere.

The Reason Kuala Lumpur's Stadium is indeed not IAAF Class one is that the Certification Process has only started since 1999.

Lets Put it this way keeping the overlays via a normal run up would indeed be the least of the worries. Financing, Athletes Accoms and Security are going to be bigger barriers among others including immigration proceedings and accreditation.

Using existing venues that fit the footprints and meet the standards certainly would save time as opposed to having a Half complete stadium having to lay down everything .

Jim Jones

Mixing up various topics without addressing the actual facts. Typical you.

As mentioned several times before Games Overlay is much more than surfacing a track: it's about facilities needed for the media, temporary lightning and sound equipment, power supply if so needed, security equipment, temporary seating facilities in exhibition halls, conducting needed security studies for certification for temporary or modified venues and so on... It doesn't require a huge amount of time but certainly not two days.

Keep reading, you have so much to learn.

for a country full of IT experts it sure has a crappy website layout/desgin. has anybody else noticed the video that starts playing on the website hompage. the ome thats like: "come out, come out, get out and rise." for some reason i heard it as "come out, come out and get arrested"...thought that was quite fitting.

Edited by stevie

:mellow: If anything, the games would be cancelled at the last moment, ie - mid 2010. Still, fingers crossed for a successful games :(

As for the IT thingy, good point stevie. :lol: Just another one of those 'Engrish' events.

:mellow: If anything, the games would be cancelled at the last moment, ie - mid 2010. Still, fingers crossed for a successful games :(

As for the IT thingy, good point stevie. :lol: Just another one of those 'Engrish' events.

Well considering the Australian's are talking about possibly pulling out as early as one month before the games if the Security is not up to par we may indeed see not only a cancellation of the games but the ending of them in one foul swoop.

Just think of that revelation . Australia the Largest TV rights Payer then has no team to watch and cheer for . Australia is in the 30 million dollar range for payment for TV rights which is much more then the entire Commonwealth Combined . No Aussie Team and you will end up having no viewers in Australia and a Tv network with a Financial Bloodbath for the ratings. Somehow I don't think Aussie viewers would have much affection for Jamaica Netballs team playing Malawi.

jim jones

Mixing up various topics without addressing the actual facts. Typical you.

As mentioned several times before Games Overlay is much more than surfacing a track: it's about facilities needed for the media, temporary lightning and sound equipment, power supply if so needed, security equipment, temporary seating facilities in exhibition halls, conducting needed security studies for certification for temporary or modified venues and so on... It doesn't require a huge amount of time but certainly not two days.

Keep reading, you have so much to learn.

No I know it can't be done in Two Days. And do remember I actually prepared a small amount of Equipment for the Calgary 1988 Olympics about two months in Advance for the Very First Medals Plaza in the history of the Olympics. The logistics for that started months before we prepared the gear for shipment but that was because the Company actually went out and bought brand new equipment that the contract paid for. At that time we were looking at a giant requirement involving the Inventory of Half of the Stage lighting Industry in North America. Today the Requirements may have increased but the Stage lighting industry inventory has blown way past the requirements. Hell I was very surprised in Nigeria to find that it was a Domestic company that did an All-African Games with as modern equipment as you would see any wheres they are a British/Nigerian Company. That was also evidenced with Sound Reinforcement with the National Games Two years ago with State of the Art Sound equipment from Meyer of the US being in the inventory provided by another Domestic company in Nigeria. People I think still don't get that many of these places are further ahead then you would think. Abuja when I was there had large LED billboards at two major intersections and a 7 story by 30 foot banner promoting their 2014 bid.

You would still probably have to bring in much more for a Commonwealth Games of course but I would not doubt that the entire Bird Nest Show was lit by Chinese Made Intelligent lighting or at least a Chinese Production House. I know friends of mine involved with programming for the Opening and Closing Ceremonies for Beijing 2008 weeks in Advance . Technology has made this possible with stage lighting and other things compared with 1988. A good deal was done in Las Vegas . Same goes for Bunting where you would be using labor intensive means to produce graphics even 10 years ago today it is much simpler. There is practically a 3d File for every venue in the world and Stage Lighting companies use them.

If you look at what Kuala Lumpur has today that would certainly be the most logical from the standpoint of all venues on the ground. As to Power all games are going to have dedicated Gen Sets whether built into the Sports Park or Rented. That is Standard. Ironically my favorite place Abuja National Stadium has that with a dedicated Gen Set Facility on site that covered the entire Sports Park including all that they had at the All-african Games for Broadcast. It is more from Need of not having a good electric utility in Nigeria's case.

The thing is also accessing who is most able to do this in a rush situation would be very easy to determine. If a city has any type of a Movie Industry they also have the lighting required for TV. The putting together in this day and age for a rush job could be done in 6 to 8 months with the right people for a non developed world economy . 6 months or less in a developed economy. Why so little time ? Again compromises would not be a committee type deal and Compromises would have to be made. Instead of the Solid Graphic Panel replacing the Venue's a Banner would be over layed. Like was shown with Athens 2004 and the infield of the Main Stadium People tend to work laterally when they are forced to LOL.

If you are having problems at 8 months out Cancellation or postponing the games is likely. At 6 months out from New Delhi 2010 Aggreko With 100 locations in 29 countries offering 24/7 services to companies across a variety of industries and supplier to the Olympics could certainly be called and redirected to go to Kuala Lumpur, Melbourne or any other place that they didn't have the inventory for. All their gear is in Containers and in most cases does not even leave a continent as their presence is everywhere. The Big thing I see is having the local labor. The Techs fly in and wait for the gear to be delivered. In the case of 1988 none of us saw Calgary and had pictures send to us of where the gear was actually used. By the Way there is no difference between Australian Intelligent lighting, America, British, Chinese or any. The same goes for Audio. The only difference is the AC power the equipment receives and all intelligent lighting and sound Equipment can be easily switched to run in Europe , America or other places

Again the Wheel is not reinvented or even invented at an Olympics or Commonwealth Games. Problem is some choose to try LOL

Jim Jones

:angry: Gawd...Here we go!

Don't worry about it Alexjc88 . I am not taking that bait. Lets Put it this way Kuala Lumpur is the only logical place for a relocation even with Abuja's slightly newer stadium which indeed is a scaled down version of CWG's 1998 Main stadium.

Much of what is needed is indeed existing there as Tracks have been torn up in Manchester and Melbourne. Kuala Lumpur has everything except the Athletes Village and maybe the IBC. Two Arena's and A Rugby Sevens Stadium would have to be created for next year in Abuja plus the Transportation system upgrades for 2014 are going ahead but will not be ready for next year.

We are looking at transportation in Abuja which is being greatly improved with the Promised Commonwealth Link now under construction to 5 lanes per direction where the bid proposed 4 lanes per direction. We are looking at the LRT going ahead and to be completed in 2013 . We are also looking at a second runaway which was not even in the 2014 bid . There are twice the international direct flights into Abuja Including Direct from Atlanta this year. The task is too great to rescue the 2010 games for an Abuja but hey who knows about 2014 LOL. THe news for the Scotsman I got today is that the Economics People in Scotland are now predicting over 10000 companies will not survive the recession and employment in Scotland is going to grow to 2 million . Who knows Scotland may indeed not be able to host with 33 percent of the population out of work and a big Tax Hangover from the London 2012 games.

Personally I hope things go well and Abuja is the Lone 2018 Candidate which is looking very likely . Gold Coast next week may lose its driving CWG force with Premier Anna Bligh Labor Party considering the Liberal National Party of Queensland, a Right Wing Party are ahead in the Public opinion polls We could see Australia's small burning embers of 2018 CWG ambitions snuffed out this Saturday. Considering the LNP is now running ads saying they will save a Children's hospital by axing the proposed Stadium it does not look like a Commonwealth Games Bid will come from Australia for 2018. The Same thing has happened to the Musings of Perth Forwarding a Bid for the CWGs in 2018. The Labor government of western Australia had a billion dollar Stadium on the Table and went down to defeat . The Stadium required to host has since been Axed by the new State government.

jim jones