Delhi 2010

25 lines without answering the questions but spinning your way out but throwing in Rio in a discussion about Commonwealth.

Nice job JJ.

And why do I have to answer Anything After All I am a Mental Retard according to the guy that can't make the clear connection that you cannot run Athletics in Green Point stadium without dismantling it in a very major way.

Oh gee we just put scaffolding up to make the IAAF 180 metre long surface in a Stadium that does not occupy that type of length . What will that mean The Athletics track will be across the roof of the Greenpoint Stadium ? This is the so called authority who hasn't a clue in regards to the Length of an International Event Velodrome these days either. I have never called Mo anything but his thoughts really are of someone very mentally challenged LOL.

You know what the inside of that arena in New Delhi looks like to me ? The inside of a typical World Cup 2010 stadium still under construction or the Arena Attached to the Maracana Stadium mere months before the Games.

Jim jones

:angry: Nice one Sir R. You just baited him...

By keeping to the topic at hand - New Delhi - will maintain a continuing flow of subject relivence. At the moment we were discussing a WORST CASE scenario of what would happen if the CGF pulled out of New Delhi at the last moment.

Would a paired down games be abled to be hosted next year else where?

So why not sensibly say what has to done minimum to stage the games? What are the Required pieces of the Games and who has them without Major Modifications ? In other words does the venue have the footprint can could be resurfaced in a rapid time.

A Rescue City has to have a IAAF Class One Stadium with 40000 seats minimum as the most major item on the list.

Who has this in the Commonwealth ready today ?

Johannesburg, Abuja, Kuala Lumpur, Brisbane most likely, Edmonton and Dar el Saleem , Columbo , Kingston.

You start from the most capital intensive Venue the Main stadium and then go down the list to who has the

most.

Then you look to College Dorms and who has them.

and Then you look to Transportation and who has the best.

Then you ask politely the possible rescue nations.

This is Generally that way Bids should be judged because citizens paying for sports festivals at some point will say enough is indeed enough like we are seeing in New Zealand with the 2018 commonwealth games bid.

Venue Wise that would probably be the first city to stage the games on the present scale Kuala Lumpur BUT hey someone could be in danger of getting a Monkey Bite there so we dismiss that possibility. While we are at it any place with Monkeys running free can't host the Commonwealth Games. The Queen's corgis' don't like Monkeys I forgot.

The Reason is very simple why Melbourne would not do this . They indeed don't have the first item Labeled A since April of 2006. Glasgow, Manchester , London or Sheffield doesn't this most major of pieces . Melbourne certainly doesn't have a spare billion around to save the commonwealth games with the brush fire disaster the state of Victoria just had.

Then the consideration will always be Who will then pay the operating costs which in Melbourne's case was about 100 million AU dollars a day?

The Games will indeed stay in New Delhi or be canceled simply because cities host prior know the costs and that the CWGs dont make 10 percent of the outlay in some cases and never will. You would see a New Delhi games with much to be desired with the end product if they don't complete things or you will indeed see no games at all.

Yeah The Expert's "sources' In Melbourne What a joke considering the words of Mike Hooper, Austin Sealy , Perry Crosswhite and Justin Madden all whom are part and parcel of the Melbourne 2006 games saying the story is not true.

Hey buddy keep pressing that IGNORANCE button Because Ignorance has indeed keep you in Suspended

Animated Bliss for a couple of years.

Jim Jones

:) JJ, try not to repeat what you have already mentioned earlier, as it has a habit of disconnecting the subject from others. Your points have been noted, you just need to remind with a quick point note i.e. 'as mentioned aready'. Still very good points though.

:) We must remember here that this is a worst case scenario, New Delhi is still VERY MUCH next year's CWG host. Had've the CGF had it doubts, they would have cancelled back in 2007. It looks like India will make it to the finish line.

Some of the news articals refer to detached infrastructure issues that will not affect the running of the games themselves. Roading and other facilities are always picked on when developing countries work hard to acheive what is required to host an event such as this...let alone developed nations.

Lest give India a chance here.

Well Alex that exactly was what the General basically said in 2007 not wanting to offend or throw India a curve ball.

He Basically said they would use the full seven years to carry the capital construction phase in Abuja though their position is much much better with a greenfield city then most cities in the World for hosting any sports festival. I don't think the CWG Federation would take the games away from New Delhi unless you had huge social problems IE a civil war. What would taking the games away signal to the rest of the Commonwealth?

jim jones

And why do I have to answer Anything After All I am a Mental Retard according to the guy that can't make the clear connection that you cannot run Athletics in Green Point stadium without dismantling it in a very major way.

Oh gee we just put scaffolding up to make the IAAF 180 metre long surface in a Stadium that does not occupy that type of length . What will that mean The Athletics track will be across the roof of the Greenpoint Stadium ? This is the so called authority who hasn't a clue in regards to the Length of an International Event Velodrome these days either. I have never called Mo anything but his thoughts really are of someone very mentally challenged LOL.

You know what the inside of that arena in New Delhi looks like to me ? The inside of a typical World Cup 2010 stadium still under construction or the Arena Attached to the Maracana Stadium mere months before the Games.

Jim jones

I was the one asking the question, not Mo so your post is once again completely irrelevant.

Edited by cfm Jeremie

how is that different from any of his other posts?

Well at least I don't propose knocking down a multi million dollar Stadium in your town to Stage the All-african games Athletics Competition . I actually know what the dimensions needed to host that main event of a sports festival unlike you who think he knows .

Jim jones

Jim, Dehli 2010 proves that you can't just have money as your focus when deciding who should host a major internatioanl event. Don't you know that its that same kind of "money worship" that has the world in this financial mess? You have got to take a balanced look at everything. Personally, i would love the games to go to India. But it just wasn't the time. Now on top of the pre existing security fears, you have to deal with organizational concerns also.

Jim, Dehli 2010 proves that you can't just have money as your focus when deciding who should host a major internatioanl event. Don't you know that its that same kind of "money worship" that has the world in this financial mess? You have got to take a balanced look at everything. Personally, i would love the games to go to India. But it just wasn't the time. Now on top of the pre existing security fears, you have to deal with organizational concerns also.

But if they put on a bang-up Opening Ceremony, then all is forgiven!!

India's Commonwealth Games in disarray

One year out, observers say miracle is needed

March 03, 2009

John Kernaghan

The Hamilton Spectator

http://www.thespec.com/News/Local/article/523268

It will take a "miracle" for New Delhi to stage next year's Commonwealth Games, a prominent Indian newspaper says.

The Hindustan Times last month stated the city that defeated Hamilton in the race for the 2010 Games is in disarray as it prepares for the 71-nation showcase.

Moreover, New Delhi hasn't begun several key projects, an Indian government panel has warned.

And the vital athletes village is mired in an environmental appeal, says a report in The Asia Times.

"I'm not the least bit surprised," said McMaster University president Peter George, who had a lead role in Hamilton's 2010 bid.

"A diplomatic way of looking at it is that I wish them well," he said.

Hamilton, which began the Commonwealth Games movement with the 1930 British Empire Games, lost to New Delhi by a 46-22 vote in 2003.

A wave of sympathy for India, which had lost two previous bids, and a last-minute $100,000 US payment to Games federations paved the way to a large margin.

But India's joy at the win has been replaced by concern as preparations have slowed.

A federal government probe of Games preparations noted that many bodies and government levels are working on the $1.6-billion Games, but no one is co-ordinating all those parties.

And The Asia Times quoted a senior sports ministry official as saying only 19 of 39 hotel sites have opened for construction.

Also, security measures are in doubt in the wake of the Nov. 26 Mumbai terrorist attacks.

Building delays mean two Commonwealth championship tournaments, scheduled as test events, had to be moved.

The boxing event was postponed to next year and a world badminton competition was moved to the Indian city of Hyderabad.

Bruce Robertson, the Ottawa-based vice-president of the Commonwealth Games Federation, visited New Delhi in November and says an assessment group was satisfied with the progress.

He also said he believes the athletes village environmental appeal will be rejected.

But Robertson said the world financial meltdown and Mumbai attacks may have added hurdles for the Games since his visit.

By contrast, Canada's 2010 Winter Olympics has been relatively free of controversy when it comes to athletic venues.

They were delivered on budget and a year in advance of pre-Games test events.

The Vancouver organizing group did fail to stage one World Cup snowboard event when crews could not prepare a course in time.

The athletes village, which is the responsibility of the City of Vancouver, has been hit by refinancing problems, and a rock slide last year briefly shut down the Sea-to-Sky Highway between Vancouver and Whistler.

Moreover, there is concern about mounting security costs.

After Hamilton's loss to New Delhi, the city lost to Halifax at the domestic level of the 2014 Commonwealth Games competition.

But Halifax withdrew from the global battle due to financial concerns.

Hamilton would host three major sports -- athletics, track cycling and volleyball -- as well as swimming training if Canada's bid for the 2015 Pan Am Games is successful.

Well, I know that the latest attack on the Sri Lankan Cricket team was in Pakistan (Lahore), but it can't be good for any feelings of security on the subcontinent. I've been fairly confident that for all the problems, the games would still go on - but now I'm not so sure.

Not really, Atlanta's ceremonies were simply spectacular but the games were a mess.

Agreed on the Ceremonies but there were ONLY 2 hitches on the competition side:

- OK, bus drivers got lost or walked off one afternoon....that was JUST ONE Afternoon

- and the results system crashed. Otherwise, the competition for the 24 sports went on spectacularly!!

That, I'd say, is a 95% success rate!!

Agreed on the Ceremonies but there were ONLY 2 hitches on the competition side:

- OK, bus drivers got lost or walked off one afternoon....that was JUST ONE Afternoon

- and the results system crashed. Otherwise, the competition for the 24 sports went on spectacularly!!

That, I'd say, is a 95% success rate!!

Agreed, Baron (and we were both there on the ground).

;)

Even Atlanta's organisational glitches were overstated - nothing that hadn't happ[ened at other games, but which were highlighted more because they were in the US. About the only sour note I brought back from Atlanta was the shanty towns of t-short and souvenier vendors all around - messy, but hardly a fatal flaw.

Even Atlanta's organisational glitches were overstated - nothing that hadn't happ[ened at other games, but which were highlighted more because they were in the US.

Even if I do agree that the media coverage was unfair to Atlanta which, all in all, were good Games, ACOG is at least partly to blame: they had announced for months the "Party of Century", flawless organisation, perfect security...

A more humble approach (that has been adopted by SOCOG, SLOC and LOCOG among others) wouldn't have hurt.

But if they put on a bang-up Opening Ceremony, then all is forgiven!!

Basically Stroking the Two Mikes Egos LOL. Thing is again what got India the Games ? 100,000 dollars a Country for a Training grant over the $ 50.000 Hamilton was putting up.

Jim jones

so lets think about this. you are awarding as a voter on what you believe will happen 7 years from now and that things will be fine !!! This global financial crisis could have happened prior to Melbourne 2006 with what has happened in the New Millennium. People will talk of Montreal 1976 as the poster child of sports festivals gone bad , no one ever mentions some of the economic dynamics at play during the run up to those games. OPEC created and placing an oil embargo leaving the western economies hostage with huge increases in Gasoline and fuel prices. No one saw that in the fix with a 1970 vote for Montreal.

When do you have the games come to the Largest Population base in the Commonwealth ? should it be the case like the Olympics that Beijing that it indeed is 112 years into the movement or 2042 ? Remember this is also in a much small pool of countries to host and it is very ironic that Australia has hosted 4 times never having to win an international bid vote for the games. Would 1962 been a good time for New Delhi? The 1962 vote was an Australian exclusive contest which Adelaide won , then the federation delayed the final judgment because they got signals that an India city was interested. That did not materialise and the Bid vote was overturned in favor of Perth hosting. The commonwealth games will not be around in 2042 !!! you have a list now of places unlikely to re appeal . Canada, New Zealand, Jamaica, Malaysia, Scotland, Wales, England you will probably never see stage the games again . Might as well let her rip in New Delhi and then host in Africa in 2018 because 175 million in revenues is not appealing with a 2 billion dollar plus cost including 100 million a day in operating expenses . This is the big reason the mouthing of Melbourne for a rescue is totally bogus.

How about 1994 ? or 1990 when New Delhi applied and Failed? Then we have the cases of 1982 ,1986 , 2002 and 2006 where again Big four hosts were unopposed in their bid elections. Considering a great number of these bid elections are one man contests you would think at some point these games would not be classed a major event as you have Czar.

At some point a country like India says 'look stop using our one billion people to pad your sales pitch to Microsoft and Coca Cola for sponsorship money' we want some of that action that you have been benefiting from off our population. '

Jim jones

How about 1994 ? or 1990 when New Delhi applied and Failed? Then we have the cases of 1982 ,1986 , 2002 and 2006 where again Big four hosts were unopposed in their bid elections. Considering a great number of these bid elections are one man contests you would think at some point these games would not be classed a major event as you have Czar.

At some point a country like India says 'look stop using our one billion people to pad your sales pitch to Microsoft and Coca Cola for sponsorship money' we want some of that action that you have been benefiting from off our population. '

Jim jones

:mellow: Yeah but India hasn't had the games lifted from them yet!

They are still a going concern and todays events in Pakistan shouldn't in no way reflect any security issues in India. Lessons learned from the Mumbai attacks and the fact that the CWGs have full security should prove India's readiness.

:mellow: Yeah but India hasn't had the games lifted from them yet!

They are still a going concern and todays events in Pakistan shouldn't in no way reflect any security issues in India. Lessons learned from the Mumbai attacks and the fact that the CWGs have full security should prove India's readiness.

Well first Alexjc I of course am pointing out to the question of whether New Delhi should have been awarded the games for 2010 and I clearly think the answer is yes it is long overdue. As to security we have to remember this cricket incident took place in Lahore, Pakistan. Yes it is in the region but we are also looking at a major sports festival compared with a Cricket Match in a neighboring country.

Thing is what do you do with the Commonwealth Games for a move at this point ? I don't think there is much one could do really. The UK including the 2014 winner is not ready. Essentially the only places with IAAF Class One Stadiums of the size requirements of cities either hosting or bidding on the Games are in Two places Edmonton and Abuja . Kuala Lumpurs Stadium has been removed from the IAAF Class one list a while ago.

Both places could not make up the list of venues additionally required and have athletes, Media and commonwealth family Accoms ready. Then there is the Issue of Who pays for the move . certainly not the federation.

The Games will be either held in New Delhi or they will be canceled. I don't think they will be canceled simply because this could end the commonwealth games.

Like I have said Games Overlays can indeed go out the window when it is a matter of survival LOl

jim jones

Like I have said Games Overlays can indeed go out the window when it is a matter of survival LOl

jim jones

And like I said, you don't know what you are talking about: Games Overlays is everything needed to turn any venue in operational mode. YOU CANNOT STAGE AN EVENT WITHOUT OVERLAYS.

But you have never attended a sports events....

And like I said, you don't know what you are talking about: Games Overlays is everything needed to turn any venue in operational mode. YOU CANNOT STAGE AN EVENT WITHOUT OVERLAYS.

But you have never attended a sports events....

No you don't understand what I am indeed saying . Outlays go out the Window meaning you are not going to have normal proceedings but bare bones. I am not saying the event is held without prep I am saying that things on the overlay list get reduced or altered for Speed. Where you would see this would be for things like a Games Look for bunting for example .

If the surfaces were indeed fine for absorption for IAAF Class one Standards then indeed of ripping up the track you would probably only see a re painting if that was indeed what was needed minimum to host the event. This would follow through with an accessment of what had to be replaced and what did not.

The point is kind of stupid to debate anyway because here for the second time in about one month is a statement by Mike Hooper as reported by the BBC.

Commonwealth Games move ruled out

By Matt Slater

Delhi 2010's mascot Shera

The 2010 Games will be the largest multi-sport event ever held in India

The head of the Commonwealth Games has rejected any suggestion the 2010 event will be switched from Delhi as a result of fears about security in the region.

Tuesday's terror attack on the Sri Lankan cricket team in Pakistan has prompted further questions about Delhi's ability to stage the Games.

But Commonwealth Games Federation (CGF) boss Michael Hooper said Delhi would do whatever is required to ensure safety.

"There is no plan B, the Games will be here, that's the reality," he said.

"The Games are 20 months away and no other city, no matter how good its infrastructure, could manage to stage an event of this magnitude in the time now available.

"There has never been any discussion whatsoever about shifting the Games. The Games will be in Delhi in 2010."

More to follow.

Jim jones