Delhi 2010

yeah Again you show you lack of understanding that Melbourne has done the Commonwealth games disposing of the Tartan Track about three years ago and also sold the athletes village.

Jim jones

Absolutely priceless from Mister "at least 12 cities could step up as last minute Olympic host"!

You acknowledge that it is almost impossible, even for the CWG and claim it is possible for the Olympics.

JJ, twisting the facts to whatever suits him.

It will take a miricale for these Games to work. I have been to New Delhi and I am telling you first hand the organsing committee do not know what they are doing. It is a mess.

Literally God help us all for this event!

Hey, if SLUMDOG MILLIONAIRE wins at the Oscars this Sunday, you can be sure that'll provide impetus for the Indians to finish the venues 10 minutes before Opening Day in October '10.

:mellow: If the 2010 games are cancelled, it would have an absolutely devestating affect on the Commonwealth as a whole.

The gap tween Melbourne and Glasgow would be just too great. The Olympics were only cancelled due to World War and as what happened in 1976, move elswhere.

I can confirm that Melbourne would now not step in to host a severly paired down games. It most likley be an UK city.

India does have the drive to get the job done to the go ahead standard by September as per one year before games, and like Montreal in 1976, open on time.

I can confirm that Melbourne would now not step in to host a severly paired down games. It most likley be an UK city.

There aren't any big stadiums in the UK with an athletics track. Don Valley at 25,000 is the largest. The UK would not be a standby; I don't know where you got that idea!

A track and field meet, with a paired down swimming and cycle programme would be a real barebones games. All the teams sports would be dumped. Pretty much anything that can fit into the main stadium, a velodrome (and a good road) and a pool would all thats needed. If there's a gun range and a decent bowls club near by, use it.

Pretty basic stuff but enough to get by.

I think both Edmonton and Montreal could do it but not glamorous at all.

Edmonton more then Montreal . At least Edmonton does have the required Athletics Stadium that Is indeed IAAF Class One. They are also building a velodrome but i am not sure when it will be completed.

Jim jones

There aren't any big stadiums in the UK with an athletics track. Don Valley at 25,000 is the largest. The UK would not be a standby; I don't know where you got that idea!

hey what about Glasgow after all they Claim what 70 percent of the venues surely Track Cycling could be held in Manchester LOL.

Yeah 70 percent of the venues already there that is if you want to run athletics with 6 lanes and have no Long jump pit , no Warm up track , no throwing practice area. Those things don't become realities until 2013 like the Velodrome the Gymnastics Venue, the Squash Venue among other things.

GEE it is really too Bad Abuja didn't have a 60000 seat IAAF Class one Stadium with a Throwing and Running practice areas , A Schuermann Indoor Velodrome and the other things Glasgow has . ROTFLMAO. I remember visiting Holograph projects of a 600000 seat stadium in Abuja two years ago .

Jim Jones

My sources still confirm Melbourne as the contingency Plan B with an additional city as another option.

I don't know who this other city is though.

Are your sources Perry Corsswhite and Former Minister of Sport Justin Madden ?

Because is what they are saying . Sure your Ignore Button isn't spelled Ignorance instead MO.

Jim Jones

Commonwealth Games 'to proceed in Delhi'

James Dampney

February 18, 2009

Australian officials have laughed off suggestions Melbourne is on standby to host the 2010 Commonwealth Games amid concerns over India's preparations to stage the event.

Reports suggest Delhi organisers are struggling with numerous issues ahead of the scheduled opening ceremony on October 3, involving venue construction, broadcasting, security and accommodation among other things.

The possibility of Melbourne, host of the 2006 Commonwealth Games, stepping in again next year has been mooted with the event now just over 18 months away.

But it was news to Australian Commonwealth Games Association (ACGA) chief executive Perry Crosswhite.

"That's all very interesting because we've never been asked that or even had it indicated to us," Crosswhite told AAP on Wednesday.

"I talked to (former Melbourne Commonwealth Games Minister) Justin Madden about it yesterday and he said it would be almost impossible for Melbourne to do it anyway.

"The village is gone and everything else.

"The only time you've had a Games move was the 1976 Winter Olympics when (Denver) couldn't hold them (over a funding issue) and Innsbruck held them again, but in those days the Olympics was probably a thousand athletes.

"It just wouldn't happen unless there was a security issue, when they'd probably just be postponed rather than move them somewhere else.

"I just chuckle at those things because it's just not going to happen."

Crosswhite is remaining hopeful India's vast resources and huge population can make the event in Delhi a success.

The global financial crisis and the terrorist attacks in Mumbai in November last year have impacted upon confidence in the country to stage a successful Games.

India are also minnows when it comes to hosting international multi-sport events, the last time being when they held the Asian Games in 1982.

But the ACGA is keeping the faith, believing Delhi just needs to ensure experienced heads are pulling the strings.

"Absolutely there's concerns. But more of the concern is just putting people in place to manage and run the Games," Crosswhite said.

"The venues and village and all that is just money and people and they've got plenty of people and probably plenty of money.

"It's probably just a body of knowledge of how you manage the Games and those things (that's required). You either get people from overseas or you do a very fast training program or a combination of both.

"That's the area the Commonwealth Games Federation is really encouraging the Indians to do. These events don't just happen."

The ACGA was informed in November last year that venues were behind schedule, but it is hardly a unique issue.

The same problem occurred during preparations for the Athens 2004 and Sydney 2000 Olympics, plus the Melbourne Commonwealth Games.

The ACGA's latest information is most venues will be finished by December this year.

Crosswhite also feels India is well-placed to deal with the current financial crisis.

"There are concerns, but then again you've got a billion people and a huge economy in India, so if they couldn't absorb it I don't know who could," he said.

Crosswhite will head to Delhi in April for an update on preparations.

:) JJ, try not to repeat what you have already mentioned earlier, as it has a habit of disconnecting the subject from others. Your points have been noted, you just need to remind with a quick point note i.e. 'as mentioned aready'. Still very good points though.

:) We must remember here that this is a worst case scenario, New Delhi is still VERY MUCH next year's CWG host. Had've the CGF had it doubts, they would have cancelled back in 2007. It looks like India will make it to the finish line.

Some of the news articals refer to detached infrastructure issues that will not affect the running of the games themselves. Roading and other facilities are always picked on when developing countries work hard to acheive what is required to host an event such as this...let alone developed nations.

Lest give India a chance here.

hey what about Glasgow after all they Claim what 70 percent of the venues surely Track Cycling could be held in Manchester LOL.

Yeah 70 percent of the venues already there that is if you want to run athletics with 6 lanes and have no Long jump pit , no Warm up track , no throwing practice area. Those things don't become realities until 2013 like the Velodrome the Gymnastics Venue, the Squash Venue among other things.

GEE it is really too Bad Abuja didn't have a 60000 seat IAAF Class one Stadium with a Throwing and Running practice areas , A Schuermann Indoor Velodrome and the other things Glasgow has . ROTFLMAO. I remember visiting Holograph projects of a 600000 seat stadium in Abuja two years ago .

Jim Jones

Unbelievable how you manage to turn every single issue in "I can't get over the fact that I publicly embarrassed myself with my foolish prediction of an easy Abuja victory".

Did anyone ever deny that Abuja has some of the facilities needed to stage the CG Games (including the T&F stadium)? No

Did anyone ever claim that Glasgow had an IAAF Class one stadium? No.

Does that make Glasgow claim that 70% of the venues already exist untrue? No.

The only possible connection to this topic would be if Abuja was ready to step up for Dehli. If so, good for them. If not, get a life.

Jim Jones

room_full_of_people_who_cares.jpg

Unbelievable how you manage to turn every single issue in "I can't get over the fact that I publicly embarrassed myself with my foolish prediction of an easy Abuja victory".

Did anyone ever deny that Abuja has some of the facilities needed to stage the CG Games (including the T&F stadium)? No

Did anyone ever claim that Glasgow had an IAAF Class one stadium? No.

Does that make Glasgow claim that 70% of the venues already exist untrue? No.

The only possible connection to this topic would be if Abuja was ready to step up for Dehli. If so, good for them. If not, get a life.

Well hey just rubbing it in that GLAsgow is just such a far superior place to host the Commonwealth Games . It is the very center of getting construction projects done , on time , on budget and Working properly . Just like the Bridge that had to be reduced to Two lanes from four and the Footbridges never completed over the Freeways for 3 decades or now the Tram in Edinburgh.

And YES JEREMIE the Glasgow 2014 committee makes those claims that they have 70 percent of the facilities and hence will not run into the problems of a London 2012 with cost overruns. They bandied that about for much of the bid campaign .

In Glasgow you have a Cancellation of the Triathlon they were to hold at the very venue they propose, you have delays in going forward with construction and general back pedaling from what was advised .

Gee How the Hell would England ever think they were going to take on the World Cup honestly.

No Jeremie this is just like the debate with Rio 2016 which the underlining theme is ' how can these people in the developing world actually have these things , I saw for myself naked bare breasted women running around jungles of Brazil and Africa on the National Geographic Show last night' .

Not a mention is made that Kuala Lumpur is actually more able to host on an emergency of New Delhi not being able to host.

I would not for a moment in have my contacts in Abuja Jump at filling in at this late date. That question was actually asked at the evaluation committee press conference in June 2007 and General Gowon himself answered in regards to Abuja stepping in for New Delhi 2010. I was there .

Stepping in is really difficult for the Olympics , Commonwealth Games or anything but it can be done with a very very big set of compromises . I talk of the possibility in the worst case of a dozen cities for the Olympics. The Worse Case is not having anything to do with Finances, Venue and Infrastructure completion or any of the things we are talking about on these pages . The Worst Case would be if a Earthquake Destroyed a City like Kobe Japan or you had a violent revolution and the host government threw back the games to the IOC.

In most cases it would go to cancellation. Anything short of that Overlays will be compromised because what other options do they have ? Think about it. You can be stubborn and make the games impossible or you indeed find ways to stage them under difficult conditions . That is what happened with Athens to a small degree. Same thing will probably end up happening in New Delhi either Cancellation or things not completed.

Jim jones

Well hey just rubbing it in that GLAsgow is just such a far superior place to host the Commonwealth Games . It is the very center of getting construction projects done , on time , on budget and Working properly . Just like the Bridge that had to be reduced to Two lanes from four and the Footbridges never completed over the Freeways for 3 decades or now the Tram in Edinburgh.

And YES JEREMIE the Glasgow 2014 committee makes those claims that they have 70 percent of the facilities and hence will not run into the problems of a London 2012 with cost overruns. They bandied that about for much of the bid campaign .

In Glasgow you have a Cancellation of the Triathlon they were to hold at the very venue they propose, you have delays in going forward with construction and general back pedaling from what was advised .

Gee How the Hell would England ever think they were going to take on the World Cup honestly.

No Jeremie this is just like the debate with Rio 2016 which the underlining theme is ' how can these people in the developing world actually have these things , I saw for myself naked bare breasted women running around jungles of Brazil and Africa on the National Geographic Show last night' .

Not a mention is made that Kuala Lumpur is actually more able to host on an emergency of New Delhi not being able to host.

I would not for a moment in have my contacts in Abuja Jump at filling in at this late date. That question was actually asked at the evaluation committee press conference in June 2007 and General Gowon himself answered in regards to Abuja stepping in for New Delhi 2010. I was there .

Stepping in is really difficult for the Olympics , Commonwealth Games or anything but it can be done with a very very big set of compromises . I talk of the possibility in the worst case of a dozen cities for the Olympics. The Worse Case is not having anything to do with Finances, Venue and Infrastructure completion or any of the things we are talking about on these pages . The Worst Case would be if a Earthquake Destroyed a City like Kobe Japan or you had a violent revolution and the host government threw back the games to the IOC.

In most cases it would go to cancellation. Anything short of that Overlays will be compromised because what other options do they have ? Think about it. You can be stubborn and make the games impossible or you indeed find ways to stage them under difficult conditions . That is what happened with Athens to a small degree. Same thing will probably end up happening in New Delhi either Cancellation or things not completed.

Jim jones

25 lines without answering the questions but spinning your way out but throwing in Rio in a discussion about Commonwealth.

Nice job JJ.

Please stop replying to Jim or quoting him as this defeats the purpose of the ignore button.

Forgive me for enjoying proving him wrong.

I just want to be sure that no one will ever give any credit to the trash he posts here.

Kudos to you, Jeremie!

I just don't have the time or energy to toy with him again at this stage.

:angry: Nice one Sir R. You just baited him...

By keeping to the topic at hand - New Delhi - will maintain a continuing flow of subject relivence. At the moment we were discussing a WORST CASE scenario of what would happen if the CGF pulled out of New Delhi at the last moment.

Would a paired down games be abled to be hosted next year else where?