Delhi 2010

Roughly 1 year ago there was talk that New Delhi was planning to build a new athletics stadium for the 2010 commonwealth games. However, there's been no further mention of that since, so they probably won't be building it.

India says it wants to bid for the 2020 olympics with New Delhi.

If this is the case, then they should not build a new stadium for the 2010 CG's, but instead offer a brand-new athletics stadium to the IOC, as part of their 2020 summer bid.

Roughly 1 year ago there was talk that New Delhi was planning to build a new athletics stadium for the 2010 commonwealth games. However, there's been no further mention of that since, so they probably won't be building it.

India says it wants to bid for the 2020 olympics with New Delhi.

If this is the case, then they should not build a new stadium for the 2010 CG's, but instead offer a brand-new athletics stadium to the IOC, as part of their 2020 summer bid.

delhi has to get on with the task at hand and bring their stadium construction company back from Guyanna. They are wanting to host the Asian games in 2014 and the talk is 2016 for the olympics???? They have to actually get a modern fire department from what I saw on TV the other night.

The course Delhi is wanting to take it like that of seoul south korea but they dont seem to be organized the way the koreans are. Not pulling thru on the commonwealth games would have problems down the road for an olympic bid even if it is 2020. Doha Qatar is in much better shape and a new territory could be host for the summer olympics. The Arab middle east with also the first muslim nation to host. The Gulf States have the money and organizational skills to do it.

jim jones

• 1 month later...
After the 2010 Commonwealth Games, it has been mentioned here that India's first "realistic chance" of wanting to bid for the Olympic Games would be in 2020.

Link: BBC: Delhi Wants Games To Provide Legacy

I see the reasons the sports editor suggesteed 2020 would be more realistic was not so much to do with infrastructure, but sporting standard.

The trouble is, that's nothing new. It's just seemed like for years that if it isn't cricket, they just aren't interested. Even their hockey prowess is not what it once used to be. I just hope maybe the Commonwealth games gives them some incentive and a shot in the arm to start looking at sports beyond the cricket field.

I always thought 2016 was a long shot for them anyway.

It seems, from reading past BBC articles unrelated to this topic and about India as a whole, it really wants to project to the world that, if China can do this, then we should do the same. Of course, India has a long way to go in athletic development, when you got a next-door neighbor that seems to be clobbering the international competition lately. Cases in point: Doha 2006 and Changchun 2007 so far. But, Delhi 2010 is a start.

• 2 weeks later...
Oh, boy. Not again. Even though it is about 3 years away from Delhi 2010, Fiji better deal with its political problems because the nation is now out of the Commonwealth at this time. Of course, that means that the Fijian team cannot compete in the Commonwealth Games, if that time comes and the scenarios are still not resolved:

Link: BBC: Fiji Suspended From Commonwealth

I don't know, if it is too late for Fiji to return to the Commonwealth in time for Delhi 2010 here. It is because the current government in Suva made its decision yesterday to have its parliament elections in 2010, since this latest coup started. The exact date in 2010 is unknown at this time.

Link: BBC: Fiji's Ruler Sets Election Date

• 4 weeks later...

Okay, call me stupid here, but how many countries in the world recognize the Turkish north of the island of Cyprus? According to the Wikipedia page, there are negotiations of having this entity preparing a team for Delhi 2010. I am very puzzled here. Have they ever been allowed to participate in any international sporting event before? If not, then this news is a major surprise to me.

I don't know, if it is too late for Fiji to return to the Commonwealth in time for Delhi 2010 here. It is because the current government in Suva made its decision yesterday to have its parliament elections in 2010, since this latest coup started. The exact date in 2010 is unknown at this time.

Link: BBC: Fiji's Ruler Sets Election Date

I imagine even if Fiji got the green light to re-join the commonwealth, they wouldn't exactly get a warm eception in India with the persercution of ethnic Indians in Fiji.

• 4 weeks later...

Check out these comments from the Indian Sports Minister.... How to win friends and influence people!

New Delhi, Apr 11 (PTI) In a surprising statement, Minister of Sports and Youth Affairs Mani Shankar Aiyar today said hosting Commonwealth Games at a huge cost of Rs 7,000 crore was of little relevance to common Indians and it was only an attempt to improve the country's global image.

"Whether you organise Commonwealth Games in Delhi or in Melbourne, the state of people living in the colonies right opposite the game site (on the banks of Yamuna) will remain the same," Aiyar said at a CII seminar.

He said most of Indian sports lovers would watch these games on television anyway, irrespective of the venue.

"Government does not have enough money for social development programmes but has sanctioned Rs 7,000 for hosting the Commonwealth Games just to improve India's image internationally," the minister incharge of the country's Sports Affairs said to the surprise of the business leaders present that included CII President R Seshasayee, CEO and Chairman Bharati Enterprises Sunil Bharati Mittal, Hero Corporate Services Chairman Sunil Kant Munjal, Ballarpur Industries Chairman Gautam Thapar and Chairman Boston Consulting Group Arun Maira.

Aiyar is the chairman of an Apex Committee in the Ministry of Youth Affairs and Sports that will monitor the implementation of the decisions of the Group of Ministers and other matters related to the games. PTI

Now that Delhi lost the 2014 Asian Games bid to Incheon, Korea, what now for the city and its preparations for the 2010 Commonwealth Games? Was the very preparations for these 2010 Games one of the reasons the 2014 vote tipped in favor toward the Koreans?

Now that Delhi lost the 2014 Asian Games bid to Incheon, Korea, what now for the city and its preparations for the 2010 Commonwealth Games? Was the very preparations for these 2010 Games one of the reasons the 2014 vote tipped in favor toward the Koreans?

Well, it certainly must be a blow to their 2016 Olympic hopes. I don't think the statements of the sports minuister helped, when only days ago he questioned the value of holding such expensive, uneccessary events in a country that has more pressing problems. That said, perhaps more nations with dreams of hosting grandeur should take note of his points.

It will be interesting on how Pune is doing in preparing itself for the 2008 Commonwealth Youth Games. Call me silly, but I haven't really heard any concrete news about the 2010 venues yet. Correct me, if I'm wrong about that.

It will be interesting on how Pune is doing in preparing itself for the 2008 Commonwealth Youth Games. Call me silly, but I haven't really heard any concrete news about the 2010 venues yet. Correct me, if I'm wrong about that.

Whatever happened to the idea India was floating of holding a Commonwealth Winter Games in 2014 as well?

I posted this on the Asian Games thread as well, but it is also highly relevant here:

KUWAIT, April 17, 2007 (AFP) - The Olympic Council of Asia has green-lighted cricket's inclusion in the 2010 Asian Games, which will feature more sports than ever before.

The decision to approve a proposal to include cricket in Guangzhou was taken at the OCA congress here, with the ball now in the Asian Cricket Council's court to decide on a format and other necessary details.

If the ACC agree to push ahead, heavyweight nations such as India, Pakistan, Bangladesh and Sri Lanka are expected to field their top teams.

``Cricket will be played in 2010, but bodybuilding will be cut from the schedule,'' OCA chief Sheikh Ahmad Al-Fahad Al-Sabah told AFP.

``India and Pakistan were the drivers. We are discussing with them how we can arrange it. Pakistan and India will come with their best teams because it will be a big competition.''

The Guangzhou games will feature 42 sports compared to 39 at the last Asiad in Doha in December.

There had been a push within OCA member nations to cut the number of sports, but plans to dump cue sports and 10-pin bowling, among others, were this week shelved. Instead, more disciplines will be included.

``Although they tried to remove some things like cue sports and bowling, the organisers this week asked for them to be brought back, so Guangzhou will host 42 sports,'' said the Sheikh, without saying what other events were being considered.

By comparison, the Olympic Games hosts just 28 events, with sports such as kabaddi, sepaktakraw, chess and wushu unique to the Asian Games.

Cricket was last seen at a major multi-sport event in the 1998 Commonwealth Games in Kuala Lumpur, but was dropped for the next two editions in England and Australia, two major cricketing powers.

The sport made its one and only appearance at the Olympics in Paris in 1900, where in a two-day match Great Britain -- represented by touring team Devon and Somerset Wanderers -- beat France, whose team mainly consisted of members of the British Embassy.

Its expected inclusion at Guangzhou follows an announcement late last year that the 2008 South Asian Games in Bangladesh will feature cricket for the first time.

AFP

This really striked me as weird. Cricket-mad India is not going to offer cricket at Delhi 2010, yet it will be contested in Guangzhou?!?!

Whatever happened to the idea India was floating of holding a Commonwealth Winter Games in 2014 as well?

Okay. Roltel, I may be tired from staring my computer screen for too long, but does this article makes any sense to you? Believe it or not, it was dated by Google last Tuesday.

Link: Hindustan Times: India Can Host Commonwealth, Olympic Games: Kalam

Okay. Roltel, I may be tired from staring my computer screen for too long, but does this article makes any sense to you? Believe it or not, it was dated by Google last Tuesday.

Link: Hindustan Times: India Can Host Commonwealth, Olympic Games: Kalam

:blink::huh::P

No, it's not you, it's a pure comedy of errors!!

Okay, here's my guess. This minister for Hindustan probably doesn't know that Delhi is already hosting the games, at most thinks that India is hosting and that the domestic cities can bid, has no idea about how sports bidding works, and is trying to play to a home audience in Hyderbad. The journo who wrote the story obviously has even less idea of sports, bidding and what's what.

Either that, or someone on the paper accidently placed as file story from five years ago on the editorial desk.

Radio silence for Jim Jones.....

I have come to realise that the more that we answer this fool of a man, the more fun he takes from it. So from now on, can i suggest an alternative approach....?

Lets just ignore him. Dont reply to his messages. Dont engage him is dialogue. Hopefully then he will take his racist views elsewhere and we can get on with some serious discussion.

:blink::huh::P

No, it's not you, it's a pure comedy of errors!!

Okay, here's my guess. This minister for Hindustan probably doesn't know that Delhi is already hosting the games, at most thinks that India is hosting and that the domestic cities can bid, has no idea about how sports bidding works, and is trying to play to a home audience in Hyderbad. The journo who wrote the story obviously has even less idea of sports, bidding and what's what.

Either that, or someone on the paper accidently placed as file story from five years ago on the editorial desk.

That's what I thought, roltel. I thought I needed to check my eyes, when I saw this weird article. I'm surprised that Google has it has "news." Thanks for clarifying it for me. ;)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

According to the Sydney Morning Herald, the Delhi 2010 Commonwealth Games is facing more opposition from the likes of environmentalists and related people.

Link: Sydney Morning Herald: India Games Plans Face More Opposition

According to the Sydney Morning Herald, the Delhi 2010 Commonwealth Games is facing more opposition from the likes of environmentalists and related people.

Link: Sydney Morning Herald: India Games Plans Face More Opposition

Now, according to the Telegraph, the Delhi city police force now has the power to jail beggars and other "undesirable people" from the city streets, in order to make the city "look clean" before and during the 2010 Commonwealth Games. And, to think, it is now a "crime" to be poor here, when reading this article. :angry: On top of that, the IOA and Delhi city officials are thinking about bidding for the 2020 Olympic Games afterwards?? :o:rolleyes: Man, I think some of us here are already now having to second-guess their willingness to showcase themselves truthfully to the international community at large.

Link: The Telegraph: Delhi To Jail Beggars For 2010 Games

tcuk_400x82_normal.gif