Anti-games Group Calls For Referendum, Possible Boycott Of 2010 Olympics

mr.x

Anti-games group calls for referendum, possible boycott of 2010 Olympics

VANCOUVER (CP/Sept. 27, 2006) - A group opposed to the 2010 Olympics in Vancouver and Whistler says it's time for another referendum on whether to hold the games.

Chris Shaw of Olympic Watch says there have been too many broken promises and the games are already so far over budget that British Columbians should cut their losses.

He says there has not been a full accounting of the costs and government promises to ensure that the games are green have already been broken.

In addition to a referendum, Shaw says his group is in talks with other anti-Olympic organizations around the world about a possible boycott of the Games.

Shaw says the Games could always go back to Turin, Italy, which hosted this year's Winter Olympics because they already have the infrastructure.

B.C.'s auditor general has estimated Canadian taxpayers will pay $2.5 billion for the Games.

omg....this is the first time i've seen Chris Shaw's name in the papers since July 2, 2003.

Moving it back to Torino because it already has the infrastructure? Shaw, do you mean the Italian city that spent $1.4 billion to build Olympic venues and facilities compared to Vancouver's $580 million? Torino metro has the exact same population as that of Vancouver's....they too went through problems and protests regarding finances and the environment, but in the end they pulled off a great Games. Heck, even the Region of Piedmont, Italy has the exact same population as the province of BC - both at around 4.3 million.

Not to mention that Torino also spent billions in upgrading highways to the ski slopes, built the new Torino's VAL subway line, and billions more on other things.......all because this city saw the Games as an investment. As we all know, Torino is industrial based (and side note, the location of the first Italian government) and officials wanted these Games to really pump money into the economy.

Anyhow, not to get off-topic, I'm perplexed that Shaw is asking for ANOTHER referendum. He was one of the first people in the anti-Games side that suggested the 2002 Olympic Referendum.

it's a little too late for turning back now. If Vancouver backed out now, it's economic and international future will be a hundred times more bleak than any created debt will ever cause. We'd be the laughing stock of the international community and will forever be remembered as the city that failed to welcome the Olympics. Who will ever want to invest in a city that just gives up like that? What a bunch of morons these people are. All they're focused on is how much they have to pay out of their own pocket, which really isn't going to inconvenience them that much at all, instead of looking at the big picture. Vancouver's rising global status will come crashing down and never be able to pick itself up in a hundred years. Every citizen of the metro area will be worse off (not to mention the whole province).

I say just spend however much it takes to get the job done right. We're having provincial government budget surpluses, plus the economy is booming.....even the poor will hardly notice the extra expenses. Also, people shouldn't see all this money that's presently being spent as unrecoverable. All these projects are investments and as such are bound to turn a profit in one way or another down the line. If we pull off an amazing Olympics, our international status will be bumped up, likely drawing more international attention on a regular basis and therefore increasing the potential for more international investment whether it be in terms of increased tourism, international corporations considering setting up shop here, more people moving here or buying property here etc.

Just look at what Expo 86 did for us and (in comparison) that was just a measly world fair which people hardly pay attention to internationally. Expo 86 essentially gave birth to Vancouver as we know it today. Therefore, why wouldn't the Olympics have the potential to do the same and then some? Some people think the Olympics won't do anything but leave us in debt, others think they'll bring about a new era in Vancouver. The truth is likely somewhere inbetween but either way I don't think enough people realize just how much this will (and has already begun to) change this city. I'm behind the Olympics 110% and I think both the provincial and federal governments should spend (invest) more money to prepare for this event. It will be more than worth it in the end.

sorry for the rant....but I cringe whenever I hear the name "Chris Shaw".

not to mention that VANOC has spent more than 50% of their budget already, and venues are half-way done.....plus we've already acquired $1 billion in sponsorship and rights contracts......ditching would lead to huge lawsuits and we'd be the laughing stock of the world and Canada (and Canada would never forgive and forget Vancouver).

A slightly longer article:

http://www.sportsnet.ca/more/article.jsp?c...927_180737_4940

how exactly do all these nimby's plan on boycotting the games? Are they going to boycott Vancouver and leave forever? Because I'd have no problem with that....

You know, in the lead-up to Sydney 2000, there were so many people (usually from the Latte set) who kept vowing they would leave town during the gamnes, it was all too much for them, they couldn't bear to be in the city during what they said was going to be a disasterous and embarassing cock-up.

At least many of them had the good grace after the event to admit they made a mistake.

What! No!

This is not right. Not right at all!

I want the games in Vancouver. They shouldn't do this.I don't want this to happen. I don't want another referendum because I want the winter games in Vancouver. How could they do this to me, I mean to us? :(

Taichi Nomura

I wouldn't mind NIMBY's leaving the city actually if they boycott.....we probably have more NIMBY's per capita than any other city in the world.

I definetely agree with Furlong: "We accept that there will always be critics of our project. We would only hope that criticism will be constructive and truthful rather than political and destructive in nature" which is indeed what these protests will be......you can bet on it. BTW, wasn't there a protest on the day of the SLC Opening Ceremony?

This bawkes me: "A negative referendum result in Denver, Col., forced the city to turn down the 1976 Games after they'd been awarded them. Shaw said a similar thing could happen in Vancouver."

What! No!

This is not right. Not right at all!

I want the games in Vancouver. They shouldn't do this.I don't want this to happen. I don't want another referendum because I want the winter games in Vancouver. How could they do this to me, I mean to us? :(

Taichi Nomura

well, there's 99.99999999999% that another referendum would happen. The current provincial government, the BC Liberals, are 110% for the Olympics and their term doesn't end until 2009. The current Vancouver municipal government is also 110% for 2010 and its term also won't end until 2009. Chris Shaw just wants attention and for people to not trust their government and VANOC.

ummmmm ok this guy is a complete idiot. He wants to save us from something but if we do what he suggests we'll fall into what he wants to save is from. If we quit now all the money spent will go to waste and there will be no money made come 2010. What an idiot. You had your referendum in 2002 and you lost, get over it! We have the Olympics and they're not leaving us now.

ummmmm ok this guy is a complete idiot. He wants to save us from something but if we do what he suggests we'll fall into what he wants to save is from. If we quit now all the money spent will go to waste and there will be no money made come 2010. What an idiot. You had your referendum in 2002 and you lost, get over it! We have the Olympics and they're not leaving us now.

i know.....

"It's time for another referendum." What the hell are we now? Quebec?!!!

Really, I would support any efforts to banish these people to Guantanamo. They are not only stupid; but subersive as well. They are a menace to all peace-loving Olympohpiles the world over. I will place a call to George and Condy and see what accommodations can be made for Chris Shaw and friends in the Caribbean.

It's funny how people are up in arms about a lack of taxpayer reimbursement in Vancouver and using it as a reason to call for a boycott, but haven't made a peep about China closing down permanently severl lower-class elementary schools for their Games...

From today's Vancouver Sun...

Won't be cowed by Games 'naysayers,' Vanoc declares

Olympic Watch accuses organizers and government partners of breaking promises

Jeff Lee, Vancouver Sun

Published: Thursday, September 28, 2006

The organized resistance to the 2010 Winter Games held a press conference Wednesday to list every reason it could think to stall preparations for the Games, including mounting an international boycott and holding a provincial referendum in the hope British Columbians might reject the event.

The Vancouver Organizing Committee was dismissive, saying it accepts legitimate criticism but won't be cowed by "naysayers who never have and likely never will support the Games."

Chris Shaw, who has opposed the 2010 Olympics for more than four years, and has now formed a group called Olympic Watch, accused the organizers and government partners with breaking promises to be open and accountable.

He accused Vanoc of delaying its second quarterly financial report in light of recent criticism by the provincial auditor-general, and said regular reports of cost overruns have shown the true cost of the Olympics is well beyond the province's promise of $600 million.

"This is now the time that I think the government of British Columbia needs to go out to the people of B.C. and ask them the question: 'With the things that have happened in the last few years, are you ready to go forward with this project?' "

Supporting him in his allegations were representatives from the Anti-Poverty Committee and a group protesting the province's construction of the Sea to Sky Highway through the Eagleridge Bluffs.

Economic Development Minister Colin Hansen ruled out a referendum, saying public opinion polls show people overwhelmingly support the Games, and that Vancouver voters in 2003 broadly supported the city's Olympic bid in a non-binding plebiscite.

Shaw also offered up University of Toronto sociology professor Helen Lenskyj, who has researched the social impact of Olympic Games on bid cities.

In a telephone interview from Toronto, Lenskyj said Olympic events have historically dislocated or marginalized poor people and enriched developers and businesses.

"Vancouver and Whistler are actually following a rather unfortunate pattern that a lot of other cities have followed," she said.

But Vanoc president John Furlong said Lenskyj has never contacted the committee or its predecessor bid committee, so he doesn't know where she's getting her information.

"She's never had a conversation with us or reviewed any of our plans or talked to our people about her view on this," he said. "We have the word sustainability right in our vision statement. We are quite committed to all of the things she would say we are not committed to."

Furlong said he welcomes criticism and oversight by organizations. But he said Shaw appears to be interested in only one thing and is throwing out statements whether they are correct or not.

"You know, the problem you have with this kind of stuff is it is not rooted in facts. Basically, he's against [the Games] and any reason will do," Furlong said. "We accept that there will always be critics of our project; we would only hope that criticism will be constructive and truthful rather than political and destructive in nature.

"We will not allow ourselves or this project to be undermined by naysayers who never have and likely never will support the Games."

Vanoc said it will be releasing the quarterly report on Oct. 24, well within the normal reporting deadline. It also pointed out it isn't required to produce the reports but chose to do so to keep the public informed.

Hansen said public scrutiny of the Games is welcome, and said the province is "100-per-cent transparent" about where it spends Olympic dollars.

Shaw is undeterred. He said his group, which he billed as a "watchdog," is set to turn into an opposition group that will try to enlist support from other anti-Olympics groups around the world.

He wants the event given back to the International Olympic Committee, citing a 1974 precedent when Denver, Colo., voters bailed out of the 1976 Winter Games after a referendum. Vancouver could do the same.

"Turin [italy] already built the infrastructure. Let them have it," he said.

He claimed that Olympic Games don't provide any long-term benefit to the public, although some may make money over the life of their events. He cited the 1988 Calgary Winter Olympics as an example.

But Vanoc and Hansen loudly disputed that view.

The Calgary Games generated more than $1.4 billion into the Canadian economy in the years leading up to the event, Vanoc noted. Hansen said the economic impact to B.C. could be $4 billion to $10 billion.

jefflee@png.canwest.com

This story can be heard online after 10:30 a.m. today at www.vancouversun.com/readaloud.

� The Vancouver Sun 2006

how can we just drop out of the olympics all of a sudden. This is totally bull **** bull **** bull ****. Protesting won't do a fucking thing... I don't see the point of talking in this subject except saying, STUPID! Dave199 is totally rihgt, fucking moron.

Ho hum. <_<

With "her" province losing people in the latest Canadian census to BC AND Alberta OVERALL, it makes me wonder how people like her are liking the idea that the economic powers of Canada is slowing shifting to the West as a consequence. You see, my local news has been "bragging" the idea over the fact that BC, Alberta and Nunavut were the only provinces/territories to gain people in the latest Stats Can population data while the rest, including her Ontario, lost people. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to know why.

And, to boot, I am still getting cock about that the Calgary Games lost money overall. Like, they are still complaining about a Games that occurred over 18 years ago?? GEEZZZZ!!! :angry::angry: Like, get your narrow-minded heads out of the dirt once in a while. It is hard enough for Calgary AND Vancouver to deal with economic growth that is causing other problems with it right now. On top of that, the last thing VANOC needs now is whiners that cannot figure out what is really going on around them. Besides, I wonder how Chris Shaw's house is worth right now? ;)

ehy don't give too much credit to that..

as Baron said every olympiad has been threated by so called boycot groups (do you remember Torino?).. but any of them has never managed in their purpose!

noone could deny to Vancouver and Canada the right to host the games, there would be something of sick and completely foolish in this!

a sentence like "Turin [italy] already built the infrastructure. Let them have it" doesn't even deserve a reply as far as idiot

c' mon!

Ho hum. <_<

With "her" province losing people in the latest Canadian census to BC AND Alberta OVERALL, it makes me wonder how people like her are liking the idea that the economic powers of Canada is slowing shifting to the West as a consequence. You see, my local news has been "bragging" the idea over the fact that BC, Alberta and Nunavut were the only provinces/territories to gain people in the latest Stats Can population data while the rest, including her Ontario, lost people. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to know why.

And, to boot, I am still getting cock about that the Calgary Games lost money overall. Like, they are still complaining about a Games that occurred over 18 years ago?? GEEZZZZ!!! :angry::angry: Like, get your narrow-minded heads out of the dirt once in a while. It is hard enough for Calgary AND Vancouver to deal with economic growth that is causing other problems with it right now. On top of that, the last thing VANOC needs now is whiners that cannot figure out what is really going on around them. Besides, I wonder how Chris Shaw's house is worth right now? ;)

I don't know how you figure Ontario is losing people?? It's growing fast from what I know. And you thinking the Economic powers are shifting to the West, you've got to be kidding yourself if you think they'll be the leading power.

Anyways, I don't understand why all these people need to make a big fuss about this now. They had their chance when Vancouver was actually in the bidding process to get the citizens of the city to vote against the bid in their election on this issue. The city voted to support the bid, therefore, are obligated to do what it takes to be ready for the 2010 and put on an excellent games. All this crying and whinning by these "tree huggers" won't change **** and certainly will not make Vancouver surrender the hosting rights for these games. Completely ridiculous!!

And here's Chris Shaw:

top1.jpg

top7.jpg

2010 Watch, formerly known as Anti-Games Coalition during the bid, even has its own website at www.2010watch.com (it'll be a matter of time before VANOC engulfs the site because of copyright infringements). And of course, the site contains very biased and information to make the Games look like a complete financial mess. It claims the Games will directly cost $3-4 billion (real VANOC budget is $2 billion). Not included, they also claim the $3 billion Gateway highway project is part of the cost, as well as the Canada Line and Sea-to-Sky Highway Improvement Project.

What a bunch of retards.....clowns, a complete joke.

Well, dave199, as some Canadians will say this, "That's Global TV's POV." It was not my idea to say that. Like my local news, Global and otherwise, kept on having that Stats Can data mentioned as "top news" on that day. Never mind the ever-growing "media headache" of mentioning of the economic boom day in and day out here from business news, newspapers and other media outlets, too.

Getting back into topic here. Yes, mr.x, it makes me wonder what they had for breakfast every day. They had their big chance to show their case and, practically, they lost. Guess democracy doesn't go well with some people. :rolleyes:

Obviously this clown joins a long list of NIMBY's who try and dirupt preparations during planning of the Olympics. <_<

But just out of curiosity, what is the process for getting a referendum on a ballot in BC?

Obviously this clown joins a long list of NIMBY's who try and dirupt preparations during planning of the Olympics. <_<

But just out of curiosity, what is the process for getting a referendum on a ballot in BC?

The Premier, who is elected, could ask the Lieutenant Governor (appointed) for a referendum....or the Lieutenant Governor could order a referendum without the elected government's request. Currently, both the Premier and Governor support the Games.

Well, dave199, as some Canadians will say this, "That's Global TV's POV." It was not my idea to say that. Like my local news, Global and otherwise, kept on having that Stats Can data mentioned as "top news" on that day. Never mind the ever-growing "media headache" of mentioning of the economic boom day in and day out here from business news, newspapers and other media outlets, too.

Getting back into topic here. Yes, mr.x, it makes me wonder what they had for breakfast every day. They had their big chance to show their case and, practically, they lost. Guess democracy doesn't go well with some people. :rolleyes:

From what I heard, I think Alberta had a larger % increase in population compared to the last census compared to Ontario but Ontario still led the country with the largest population added to the province. To say this province is losing people is completely idiotic and incorrect. The province in the leading economic power of this country and I doubt that will change anytime soon. Not taking anything away from Alberta since it is emerging to be a very important economic power as well.