Canadian Olympic Games Results On A Comeback?

Guardian

He was a double-gold medallist for Canada in the swimming events in Los Angeles 1984. He then went to Australia in the 1990s to make the country one of the major powerhouses in world swimming. Can Alex Baumann put Canada back to the likes of the USA, China, Australia, etc., in summer sport events, like the Olympic Games?

Link: Alex Baumann Set For Canadian Return

He was a double-gold medallist for Canada in the swimming events in Los Angeles 1984. He then went to Australia in the 1990s to make the country one of the major powerhouses in world swimming. Can Alex Baumann put Canada back to the likes of the USA, China, Australia, etc., in summer sport events, like the Olympic Games?

Link: Alex Baumann Set For Canadian Return

I hope that Baumann is listening because he will have a major uphill battle to deal with making the Canadian summer Olympians do as well as the winter counterparts. From funding to scheduling, it will not be easy. Daniel Igali is making his point, courtesy of this CBC sports article:

Link: CBC: National Team Athletes Struggle To Make Ends Meet, Igali Says

• 6 months later...

Why am I not surprised by this news? When you have a "black eye", regarding the sad end of Halifax's run for the 2014 Commonwealth Games, I see that this article has confirmed my thoughts about the plight summer athletes have to go through in Canada. Added to the mix, this report was handed down in HALIFAX itself to add insult to injury. I guess Canada's Beijing 2008 performance could be a repeat from Athens 2004. Unless, of course, some federal politician calls for the one thing I thought went the way of Montreal 1976 and those other Games: a boycott.

Link: CBC: Summer Olympians Need More Cash From Ottawa To Win Medals, Says COC President

Archived