China Bowl

la2stl

China Bowl

The patriots and seahawks are going to play a preseason game, called the China Bowl, next year in Beijing at Workers Stadium on Aug. 8, 2007 to kickoff the one-year countdown to the opening ceremony. NBC is gonna carry the game live at 8:30 in the morning. The game will be the first NFL game ever in china.

Press Conference

Isn't it odd that they a starting the year to go celebration with a sport that is not on the Olympic program. Isn't it also odd that NBC is showing the game live at 8:30 am on a Wednesday. We can watch meaningless pre-season football (even if it is my beloved Seahawks) at weird hours, but marquee Olympics events have to be shown on tape long after the outcome is known. Its also a shame it isn't being played at the Birds Nest, that would be awesome, even for a pre-season game.

Isn't it odd that they a starting the year to go celebration with a sport that is not on the Olympic program. Isn't it also odd that NBC is showing the game live at 8:30 am on a Wednesday. We can watch meaningless pre-season football (even if it is my beloved Seahawks) at weird hours, but marquee Olympics events have to be shown on tape long after the outcome is known. Its also a shame it isn't being played at the Birds Nest, that would be awesome, even for a pre-season game.

NBC can afford to air the game live because they don't need people to watch it. Preseason games are preseason games, and they're met with relative indifference. On the other hand, NBC paid about a billion dollars for the Olympics, so they need to match the biggest events with the biggest anticipated viewer hours (primetime). Count me ago those that would like to see live events, though. It's too bad that the Triplecast bombed so badly in '92 (largely due to the outrageous price).