The Test Events For Vancouver 2010

Guardian

Well, mr.x and others interested, it seems that the list of test events for the Vancouver 2010 venues has now started. I know I'm probably behind the times on this, but I guess I will start with this one, compliments of the ISU. For 2009, the Richmond venue will host the World Singles Distance LONG-TRACK Speed Skating Championships. It is PROVISIONALLY slated for mid-March of this year (2009). I'm sure that it will come to pass and this current news came from an ISU communique #1421 that was dated September 21st.

As for other possible test events for Vancouver 2010, you can post them here from what you have seen and known before now.

Edited by Guardian

Found another one, but I don't know how long this was known, too. In the 2008-2009 season for biathlon (IBU), Vancouver will stage the SEVENTH World Cup event (out of the 10 for this season) in this sport. Since this event is slated for that time, the dates are obviously not known for now.

Of course, the 2009 World Junior Curling Championships will be held in the city, too.

Edited by Guardian

Los Angeles has been awarded the 2009 World Figure Skating Championships, which will be the qualifier to the Vancouver Olympics. All roads lead to Vancouver! WOOOO!
yes. just posted a thread about this on "other international games".

interesting stuff....but i have to ask, where does the funding come from for these test events? The IIHF World Junior Championship in Vancouver earlier this year cost $5 million to run alone.

I think some of the funding could come from the BC versions of these sports federations that could be derived from the Canadian national ones. For example, hopefully showing the right link(s) here, some of the money needed to make this possible could come from this entity: SportBC

After the Vancouver 2010 Games is over, this overall entity could have more sports added to it because of the Games. For example, with this link, I do not see a bobsleigh/luge/skeleton entity here as of this time. With hope that the Vancouver winter venues will be around for a long while after 2010, the province can have its own bobsleigh/luge/skeleton club(s) for athlete development, like what Alberta has now because of Calgary 1988.

• 2 months later...
Of course, the 2009 World Junior Curling Championships will be held in the city, too.

Man, looking at this topic now, I thought Vancouver would be suited to host the 2009 WCF MEN'S WORLD Curling Championships instead of this junior version. Because Canada was given a very big perk by the World Curling Federation of hosting the world championships in this sport "every year with the men and women alternating", plus that EDMONTON is hosting the 2007 edition, one would think that the 2009 version would make a "perfect" test event for the curling venue. Well, in any case, since the allocation is done, it will be up to another Canadian city to take it.

What the...

Talk about timing. This article, from the Edmonton Sun, came out just about one hour ago as of posting this comment.

Link: Edmonton Sun: The Debate Is On - Do You Hold The 2010 Olympic [Curling] Trials In Vancouver?

Uh huh. The Edmonton Sun clearly doesn't know what it's talking about. The curling venue has "temporary seating" so the rink can easily serve post-Games needs as the replacement of a nearby community centre/ice rink/aquatic centre. 500-1000 seats will be permanent. What is so ridiculously perverted about "temporary seats"?

How is it a "non-winter sports venue"? The venue is a frickin ice rink before, during, and after the Games. The ice sheet and ice plant are all permanent.

This is the largest curling venue in Olympic history with 6,000 seats. SLC and Torino both had around 2,000 seats in their curling venues. So really, we're already doing the home crowd a favour with a venue three times the capacity of past Games.

How in the world is this a "second-rate venue"? It's the largest and grandest facility for curling in the Games history at a cost of $38 million. Does this fool expect us to spend $150 million on a 16,000 seat arena equivalent to the size of Edmonton's arena???

HILLCREST STADIUM PARK (Curling)

01.JPG

02.JPG

03.JPG

04.JPG

05.JPG

06.JPG

07.JPG

Secondly, the event should be held in Vancouver for obvious reasons. We need this as a test event.

Mr.x, I am not surprised about that. Remember, this is the Edmonton Sun we're dealing with here. I bet he thinks that the 2010 Olympic trials should be treated like the Brier or the Scott. Like, give me a break. Look at what happened the last time Canada had the 2006 Olympic curling trials in Halifax, I believe. Tell me what teams we sent to Torino for Canada. If that is any indication, then I have nothing to say because Gushue and Kleibrink made Canada proud, unlike the "professionals" I saw then. It was almost like those "professionals" didn't care about what was at stake.

Everybody wants a piece of the pie.

Naturally, nearby cities will be doing their best to squeeze as much attention (and therefore money) they can out of a neighbour's large scale event.

I'm just surprised we haven't heard from Calgary yet. :)

Well, to these cities I give them my finger.

............../´¯/)

............,/¯../

.........../..../

...../´¯/'...'/´¯¯`•¸

../'/.../..../......./¨¯\

.('(...´...´.... ¯~/'...')

....\.................'...../

......''...\.......... _.•´

.......\..............(

.........\.............\

(no offense Guardian ;) )

It's just sad how Edmonton Sun doesn't even know what they are talking about. If you are too lazy to look in City of Vancouver, then at least look at the posts on GamesBids. I've posted the design schemes and Mr. X did it too. Jesus Christ! But hey, it's a way to make their city shine in this olympics business. Wasn't Toronto all 'that' when they did not recieve any attention from the World Forum in Vancouver last summer?

None taken, mr.x.

In fact, Calgary is in no mood for that anyway. Since the various ISFs of the winter sports have already seen what the Calgary area (through CODA) can do, it is not necessary for my city to prove itself worthy of the task, unlike the city about 3 hours drive north from there. Besides, Canada needs more than Calgary to have Olympic-caliber winter facilities to spread out the development and training of new and potential Canadian winter athletes for future Winter Olympics. Also, winter venues need not always be at "high altitude" locales. Vancouver will test these athletes on their endurance in the sports/events in 2010.

Therefore, those Edmonton guys can say what they want, but that kind of POV will not score well to some of us.

• 3 months later...

Well, that is what the test events are for. It will be interesting on how the weather will be like, when the Games start for real.

Link: CBC: VANOC Keeping Eye On Weather, Leaving Room When Planning Games Ski Schedule

• 3 months later...

It is about time. Whistler is going to be back in the FIS World Cup circuit again in the alpine ski events, after a couple of years absent due to the weather I believe. And, yes, Lake Louise and Panorama will be in the calendar, too.

From February 18th to 24th, 2008, these World Cup events will take place at the resort.

- Ladies' Downhill (Feb. 21st);

- Men's Super G (Feb. 22nd);

- Ladies' Super Combined (Feb. 23rd); and,

- Men's Giant Slalom (Feb. 24th).

From February 9th and 10th, 2008, Cypress Mountain will host the moguls and aerial events respectively.

^ the last time we held the FIS World Circuit events was in December....that's the worst and most unpredictable time for mountain snow conditions. A few months after it was held during February, snow conditions were optimum.

i am confident the weather and snow conditions will be perfect next February for these events.

On the bobsleigh and skeleton front, if I read the 2007-2008 FIBT season schedule right, VANOC will have a visit by the FIBT about how the 2010 Olympic track will look like on March 3rd to 10th, 2008. A "homologation", according to the schedule.

As for the luge events, which will be using the same overall venue as the bobsled and skeleton ones, Calgary will be hosting the FIL Congress for 2008. I bet that VANOC will be there to talk to FIL officials about how to incorporate those events as well.

Statement (from the FIL website):

Berchtesgaden (pps). The 56th FIL Congress will take place in Calgary, Canada, in 2008. In 2010, Vancouver, Canada, will be the venue of the Olympic Winter Games.

Edited by Guardian

• 1 month later...

What a big whoop that whole ice hockey tournament was. No wonder it wasn't covered much. If you guys didn't know what it was, then you are not alone. Yesterday, Vancouver was the last of eight stops of this so-called "Super Series." It was remotely supposed to "re-enact" the 1972 Summit Series between Canada and Russia. Instead, Team Canada creamed the Russian team almost completely by winning all four games in Russia, a win in Winnipeg and in Saskatoon with one tie in Red Deer, before this final one in Vancouver.

Link: CBC: Canada Hammers Russia In Super Series Finale

190-canada070909.jpg

Canada's Luke Schenn, left, trips up Russian Maxin Mayorov during the first period of the final Super Series game Sunday night in Vancouver.

(Richard Lam/Canadian Press)

Oh, well. <_< At least, it could somewhat be called another "preparatory event" for the upcoming Vancouver 2010 Winter Olympics, if that was the case here.

Edited by Guardian

• 2 months later...

Vancouver has another test event, in preparation for the 2010 Winter Olympics, compliments of the ISU. The city was awarded the 2009 Four Continents Figure Skating Championships. For those not familiar with this event, it is like the European Figure Skating Championships, but for the rest of the world. It is pretty much held all the time about a month before the World Championships itself. In this case, it will be held before the world one in Los Angeles.

• 3 months later...

Say, I bet some of you over there at Whistler was glad to see a set of World Cup events in alpine skiing come back there again.