E SWE, FIN, HUN, MDV, RSM

F GRE, ISR, LAT, GEO, MAL

G SUI, BUL, WAL, MNT

H DEN, NOR, CYP, ISL

I CZE, SCO, LIT, LIE

Group C - two former Yugoslav Republics

Group E / Group H - two Scandinavian countries

No two british team in one group

I'm glad England didn't come out in group A. Don't like the look of that one at all - I think that's a tough one for Germany, sorry CAF. Group C looks horrible as well for N. Ireland.

I like the look of our group:

ENGLAND, Switzerland, Bulgaria, WALES, Montenegro

A nice derby match against Wales to give the group some spice, and teams we ought to beat comfortably in the other matches. Yep, pretty pleased with that. B)

Edited by RobH

The result of the draw:

Group A - GER, TUR, AUT, BEL, KAZ, AZE

Group B - RUS, SVK, IRL, MKD, ARM, AND

Group C - ITA, SER, NIR, SLO, EST, FAR

Group D - FRA, ROU, BIH, BLR, ALB, LUX

Group E - NED, SWE, FIN, HUN, MDV, RSM

Group F - CRO GRE, ISR, LAT, GEO, MAL

Group G - ENG, SUI, BUL, WAL, MNT

Group H - POR, DEN, NOR, CYP, ISL

Group I - ESP, CZE, SCO, LIT, LIE

I'm glad England didn't come out in group A. Don't like the look of that one at all - I think that's a tough one for Germany, sorry CAF. Group C looks horrible as well for N. Ireland.

I like the look of our group:

ENGLAND, Switzerland, Bulgaria, WALES, Montenegro

A nice derby match against Wales to give the group some spice, and teams we ought to beat comfortably in the other matches. Yep, pretty pleased with that. B)

I think qualification for EUROS are always tough - group A has "spice" due Austria vs. Germany, Turkey vs. Germany - that will become very very interesting...

I wouldn't underrate Switzerland and Bulgaria, Rob - I think that will become tough matches for England - I think the matches in Cardiff and London will become very very FUN

Sure, Capello won't let the team underestimate their opponenents, he's not that type of manager. But really, it couldn't have been much kinder to England. After the world cup draw, it feels like the football Gods are smiling on us a little.

That's funny -- I think that England has got one of the toughest possible groups. Even Montenegro is obviously not as easy as it sounds -- the German TV commentator said that of all teams of pot 6, Montenegro is the toughest. And Switzerland, Bulgaria and Wales can be difficult sides, too. But at least you have two qualifying matches less to play -- something I would have wished for Germany as well.

Germany's group is very interesting, most importantly (of course) because we'll have four very strongly anticipated matches against Turkey and Austria. It's also nice to play the EURO qualifiers against another neighbour country and our EURO 1980 final opponent, Belgium. And then we'll meet Berti Vogts again -- at the two matches against Azerbaijan which was already our opponent in the World Cup 2010 qualifiers. The only team I know nothing substantial about is Kazakhstan. But it will be at least a new opponent for the German team.

All in all, that's an interesting, but quite manageable group for Germany. I'm looking forward to the EURO qualifiers!

And by the way, I'm glad that Italy got such a difficult group. They had far too much luck in the World Cup final group draw, so this is quite a deserved compensation.

I think it works out, but certainly the group is strong enough from top to bottom to prevent the second place team from taking the best loser spot.

I am not worried about Germany's chances, away games 4 of the 5 opponents are certainly winnable.

• 1 month later...

UEFA considers downgrading Euro 2012 to six cities

After speculation throughout the latter part of last year that Ukraine would be stripped of the finals, criticism eased after UEFA president Michel Platini confirmed in December that all four Ukrainian cities slated to host Euro 2012 games will stage matches and that the final itself will follow in Kiev.

Speaking then at the UEFA Executive Committee meeting in Madeira, Platini praised the “enormous efforts and sacrifices” made by Ukraine and its co-host Poland to provide “a very impressive” basis for a tournament that promises “great things.”

But doubts about Ukraine’s readiness have resurfaced in recent weeks, with attention also focusing on the Polish city of Wroclaw.

Last week Martin Kallen, UEFA’s operating director for events, said that the tournament may only played in six host cities.

Citing construction delays in Wroclaw and Lviv in Ukraine, Kallen told a Polish football website that UEFA had formulated a “Plan B” to host Euro 2012 in just six cities.

"We're not very concerned about Wroclaw. Lviv is quite another matter. Much of the construction work is falling behind the schedule. There are problems with funding. It's time to act. Otherwise the stadium won't be completed on time," Kallen told futbolnews.pl in an interview that was quoted by Interfax.

He expressed hope that the stadia would be ready on time, and insisted that no final decision had yet been made.

http://www.worldfootballinsider.com/Story.aspx?id=33110

Fixtures draw completes qualifying schedule

The match schedule for the qualifying group stage of UEFA EURO 2012 is complete after a draw at the XXXIV Ordinary UEFA Congress in Tel Aviv determined the fixture list for four previously undecided sections.

Agreement had not been reached over the fixtures for Group B (Russia, Slovakia, Republic of Ireland, FYR Macedonia, Armenia and Andorra), Group F (Croatia, Greece, Israel, Latvia, Georgia and Malta), Group G (England, Switzerland, Bulgaria, Wales and Montenegro) and Group H (Portugal, Denmark, Norway, Cyprus and Iceland) by the deadline of Tuesday 16 March, so the games were arranged by Thursday's draw.

Among the interesting dates to look out for, Group H rivals Portugal and Denmark, who also met in 2010 FIFA World Cup qualifying and who both go to South Africa, will renew acquaintances on Portuguese soil on 8 October, with the return fixture being the final match in the section on 11 October 2011. In Group G the British derby between England and Wales will take place on 26 March 2011 in Wales, with the return date on 6 September 2011.

Fixture list Groups B F G H

other groups

UEFA president Michel Platini has announced that he will stand for re-election for a new four-year term at next year's XXXV Ordinary UEFA Congress, which will take place in Paris on 22 March 2011.

Mr Platini made the announcement to representatives of UEFA's 53 member national associations at the XXXIV Ordinary UEFA Congress in Tel Aviv, Israel, on Thursday.

The Frenchman was elected as UEFA's sixth president at the UEFA Congress in Dusseldorf, Germany, in January 2007.

http://www.uefa.com/uefa/aboutuefa/organisation/president/news/newsid=1467963.html#michel+platini+stands+election