Euro 2012

Olympian2004

The official logo, visual identity and slogan for UEFA EURO 2012™ have been unveiled at a special event in Kyiv's Mykhailivska Square with co-hosts Ukraine and Poland looking forward to 'Creating History Together'.

Star guests

Polish Football Association President Grzegorz Lato, his Football Federation of Ukraine counterpart Grigoriy Surkis and UEFA President Michel Platini officially unwrapped the logo as the highlight of the launch proceedings. The ceremony was attended by the President of Ukraine, Viktor Yushchenko, and Prime Minister Yulia Tymoshenko, representatives from the eight host cities – Gdansk, Warsaw, Poznan, Wroclaw, Lviv, Kharkiv, Donetsk and Kyiv – and numerous other dignitaries.

Visual identity

The purpose of the logo is to give UEFA EURO 2012™ a personality of its own, with the visual identity to be applied across a range of promotional applications from tickets to web banners. The objective is to help promote the tournament – one of the world's biggest sporting events – by providing an easily recognisable identity with a flavour of the host nations. The logo takes its visual lead from 'wycinanka', the traditional art of paper cutting practised in rural areas of Poland and Ukraine, as a tribute to the fauna and flora of the region.

EURO bloom

The 'bloom' logo has a flower representing each of the co-host nations and a central ball symbolising the emotion and passion of the competition, while the stem denotes the structural aspect of the competition, UEFA and European football. Nature has inspired other features of the visual identity, with woodland green, sun yellow, aqua blue, sky blue and blackberry purple being the crucial tones of the palette of colours to figure in official tournament branding.

Uniting ethos

The event slogan, meanwhile, is 'Creating History Together'. The staging of the UEFA European Championship finals in Poland and Ukraine, a first for Central and Eastern Europe, will have a place in the history books, with everyone involved in UEFA EURO 2012™ – organisers, host countries, host cities, players and fans – contributing to another exciting chapter of European football.

©uefa.com 1998-2009. All rights reserved.

I really love the logo. Great to see real logos still exist post Sochi.

Not sure about the logo (maybe it's a grower, haha!) but I do like the quirky graphics on the banner. The plant and flowers are nice as a motif in the graphics, but maybe there's a bit too much going on for them to work as a logo for me.

Interesting that you mention Sochi - I think that has a good logo but I think the other graphics surrounding it (i.e. the triangles) will get boring very quickly. This is the opposite; the logo is way too busy, but the surrounding graphics are interesting and very pleasing.

Oh well, it hardly matters. The main thing is this tournament is going ahead as planned.

Edited by RobH

This logo takes a while to settle in. The first impression is that it's so animated and colorful that it seems almost childish. But if you take a minute to understand the concept, it is really a great job! Oh, the logo presentation video is amazing! B)

There are logos and logos, but I definitely prefer these traditional iconic logos over the currently trendy, minimalistic, web-orientated ones.

• 1 month later...

Euro 2012 qualifying draw

Ukraine’s former Chelsea star Andriy Shevchenko is among the Euro 2012 tournament ambassadors presenting the qualifying competition draw for the championships in Warsaw on Feb. 7. There are 51 teams contesting the 14 places available for the 2012 finals alongside co-hosts Poland and Ukraine and they are split into six seeding pots ahead of the draw. There will be nine qualifying groups – six comprising six sides and three involving five. UEFA general secretary Gianni Infantino says preparations for the 2012 European Championships in Poland/Ukraine are on schedule.

WFI

Ranking to be used for the Uefa Euro 2012 qualifying draw (Feb 2010):

POT ONE:

Spain

Germany

Netherlands

Italy

England

Croatia

Portugal

France

Russia

POT TWO:

Greece

Czech Republic

Sweden

Switzerland

Serbia

Turkey

Denmark

Slovakia

Romania

POT THREE:

Israel

Bulgaria

Finland

Norway

Republic of Ireland

Scotland

Northern Ireland

Austria

Bosnia-Herzegovina

POT FOUR:

Slovenia

Latvia

Hungary

Lithuania

Belarus

Belgium

Wales

F.Y.R. Macedonia

Cyprus

POT FIVE:

Montenegro

Albania

Estonia

Georgia

Moldova

Iceland

Armenia

Kazakhstan

Liechtenstein

POT SIX:

Azerbaijan

Luxembourg

Malta

Faroe Islands

Andorra

San Marino

I love the logo - but on first look I thought "The Netherlands". Then you obviously realise it is ukraine and Poland. Lovely looking logo though. Much better than recent poor efforts. I am not including London in that btw. :D

If Capello stays after the world cup, and I'm sure he will, I'm not worried about who we get in the qualifiers. I'm really not.

Saying that, I always hope for the home nations in these draws, but three of them are in the same pot this year (I count the Rebublic as a home nation when I'm talking about football before you ask).

England

Czech Republic

Scotland

Wales

Iceland

(San Marino)

That'd be a nice group I think.

I've just read this also:

UEFA has confirmed that, for political reasons, Armenia will not be drawn against Azerbaijan (due to the disputed territory of Nagorno-Karabakh) and Georgia will not be drawn against Russia (due to the disputed territory of South Ossetia) in the qualifiers for Euro 2012.