Euro 2012

Olympian2004

I've noted that we're only two-and-a-half months away from the election of the EURO 2012 host country. It is scheduled for December 8.

Meanwhile, UEFA is obviously currently conducting its inspection visits in the five bid countries, Italy, Hungary, Croatia, Poland and Ukraine. Does anyone know something about the results of those visits -- have the inspectors revealed in any sense which bid they are favouring?

I guess that Italy as experienced World Cup and EURO host has the best chances. But I'd also be glad if the EURO would be given to Hungary and Croatia. Especially Hungary deserves it so much -- after having never staged one of the biggest international sports events, neither the Olympics nor the World Cup nor the EURO nor the World Championships in Athletics. Hungary was always an important nation in sports so that I don't understand why they've always been ignored for the larger sports events.

What do you think? Who will win and who should win?

UEFA has just finished their ispection in Italy these days.. the italians stadium reached the approval by UEFA staff, most of venues need a restyling

Milan, Rome, Naples, Torino, Palermo, Bari, Udine and Florence will bid for sure.. there are some optional cities in the lists: Bologna, Verona, Cagliari and Genoa

I personally don't care so much who will win.. Italy should head for bigger sport events than a soccer euro cup but at least it could be a serious opportunity to refresh our '90 stadiums..

Match fixing scandals and political unrest certainly can't be helping the chances of the Italy and Croatia-Hungary bids respectively. However, I've felt for some time that Poland and Ukraine could, and perhaps should be bidding separately for this tournament. I also feel that Italy is using this as a stepping stone to another World Cup bid when it really doesn't need to. For those reasons, I would prefer Croatia-Hungary to win.

I also feel that Italy is using this as a stepping stone to another World Cup bid when it really doesn't need to.

Can I ask WHY we REALLY needn't to host a WC in the next futre as probably it will be the only big sport event we could host in the next 50 years.. ?

Can I ask WHY we REALLY needn't to host a WC in the next futre as probably it will be the only big sport event we could host in the next 50 years.. ?

You misunderstand my point. What I was saying was that I felt this bid was a stepping stone to a future World Cup bid. Given that everyone knows about the Italian stadia and the strength of Italian football, I would prefer such a major footballing nation to concentrate on bidding for a World Cup, and not a European Championship, particularly when the World Cup is probably out of the reach of the smaller nations who bid for the Euros.

As we already discussed b4 here's coming out that EURO is a second level event, just for "little" States..i am not so sure about that, but it's an interesting point to discuss about.

It might be that the EURO is usually the chance for smaller nations to prove that they can host major sports events, too. But nevertheless, hosting the EURO should be a great honour also for the bigger nations. The recent EUROs were on a much higher (i.e. more offensive) playing level than the recent World Cups -- always when I watch some old videos from the EURO 2004 in Portugal I think, "Damn! Why haven't we seen a lot of that kind of football at the last World Cup?"

So, if you in Italy don't want the EURO -- we in Germany would take it gladly. ;)

Of course it's an honour to be chosen to host the European Championship. We in England still have fresh memories of Euro 96.

But, nations like Germany and Italy can host a World Cup whereas smaller nations like Hungary and Croatia cannot. So why not largely leave the Europeans to them?

I bet you would be much more glad to take 2010WC from south africa. ;)

Not really. Sure, it would be great if we had another World Cup in Germany as soon as possible. But I would not like the fact that we only got the 2010 World Cup as substitute and at the expense of the original host nation. It would certainly not be the nicest way to "win" the World Cup.

The recent EUROs were on a much higher (i.e. more offensive) playing level than the recent World Cups -- always when I watch some old videos from the EURO 2004 in Portugal I think, "Damn! Why haven't we seen a lot of that kind of football at the last World Cup?"

Good point, and one I agree with. Euro 2004 was a great tournament and I enjoyed it much more than Germany 2006.

who said that? i do want it!

I don't think any of the Italian members have said it. My view is that Italy could and should be looking towards hosting a future World Cup. I can see where Euro 2012 comes into that, but I don't think it's really necessary.

Didn't you notice the ironical smiley ( ;) ) behind my post? Sorry, but it's not my style to underline my ironical or funny comments with an extended "hahahaha" or "muahahaha" or something like that.

hey dude no prob i'm not the one who can be offended so easily...eheheh

btw my sentence was like "who said that?!i'll kill him!!!" :P LOL

• 2 weeks later...

The article on the decision to give Man City's stadium the UEFA Cup final also contained another a bit of info that might be of interest:

At the same meeting, Uefa's executive committee decided to postpone the vote on which country, or countries, will host Euro 2012.

A decision was due to be made in December 2006, but will now be delayed until April 2007.

There are three bids to host Euro 2012, with Italy the only sole nation and the other contenders being joint bids from Poland and Ukraine, and Hungary and Croatia.

Link

:huh:

Further infos about the host election delay:

uefa.com - EURO 2012 decision put back

I think that's pretty strange -- it seems as if they had trouble with one or more bids which forced them into the delay. Otherwise it just wouldn't make sense why they want to give the bidding committees even more time for giving UEFA all the answers it needs.

And I guess that especially the Italians would have wished that the election had taken place already in 2006 -- that way, they could have possibly looked back on an extraordinarily successful sports year: with the Torino Olympics, the World Cup victory and (possibly) the victory in the Euro 2012 contest.