Best Opening Ceremoney

Adister

Ok, we all know that for each Olympics, there's a differnt Opening Ceremoney.I want to know which is the best. Who was the Best Summer and the Best Winter. For Summer Opening Ceremonie, I say Atlanta 1996, basicly I liked the "Call to the Nations" and "Temel of Zeuz" and "Summertime", but that title could be stollen by Beijing. And for Winter I say Salt Lake 2002 (maybe becuase I'm an American). But what do I know, what's your favorite????

post-1436-1158608778.jpg

Barcelona 92 was indeed the most innovating on history and put the parameters to the upcoming opening ceremonies. Segments like the Mediterranean Sea & the lighting of the cauldron (this last one became a great reference) are almost impossible to delete of the mind of those who watched it.

Personaly, i have catalonian parents & although i didn't really watched the ceremonies or the games at that time (i was 3 years old xD),i still love it.

On the second place, i would put the Athens 2004 opening. I know that a lot of people on the net didn't liked the opening on the first time (some guys saying that it was very simple and poor) maybe because there wasn't so much segments. But the spectacularity of the ceremony made that almost expendable. If the cauldron lighting had been better (and if we delete Bjork & that horrible song she performed) , this could becamed the best OC ever.

Atlanta & Sydney were cool too. Atlanta OC was the first one i watched on TV. Is very inspired of Barcelona (something that was very predictable at the moment), but they innovated on some parts like the Greek Temple. As for the Sydney OC, the best was the cauldron lighting by Cathy Freeman.

PD:Welcome to GB!

Oh, and for my favourite Winter Games OC, i choose Salt Lake City 2002 (Torino was good, but i expected a little more).

Hi Adister,

Well, you're sure covering all the usual newbie topics _ future host predictions, favourite ceremonies etc (note to GM, maybe it's about time we started having these details in our profiles _ it might save some bandwidth).

Okay, for mine, best summer ceremony, Barcelona, followed by Sydney and Athens.

Best winter _ Lillehammer.

Ok, we all know that for each Olympics, there's a differnt Opening Ceremoney.I want to know which is the best. Who was the Best Summer and the Best Winter. For Summer Opening Ceremonie, I say Atlanta 1996, basicly I liked the "Call to the Nations" and "Temel of Zeuz" and "Summertime", but that title could be stollen by Beijing. And for Winter I say Salt Lake 2002 (maybe becuase I'm an American). But what do I know, what's your favorite????

Adister, we have to make a distinction between "BEST" and "FAVORITE." It leads to all sorts of patriotic wars!! BEST is very relative and is a matter of personal taste. So may I suggest that you alter your original post to say "FAVORITE" rather than "BEST"? There is no Olympic Academy here to hand out Best Ceremony statuettes -- so, I'd say, please use "FAVORITE." Believe us, it will be a more harmonious board if you use that rather than "BEST."

welcome to the boards Adister,

this is an evergreen topic - but I love it - I have seen all ceremonies since SARAJEVO 1984.

here are my favourite ceremonies:

SUMMER:

Gold - SYDNEY 2000

Silver - BARCELONA 1992

Bronze - SEOUL 1988

WINTER:

Gold - SALT LAKE CITY 2002

Silver - LILLEHAMMER 1994

Bronze - ALBERTVILLE 1992

• 8 months later...

Summer games my two favorites were Barcelona and Atlanta. I liked how the designer of the Atlanta OC was able to weave the Olympic ideals and history into a display of the culture of the American South which so much of the world (I would venture to guess) was unfamiliar with. Barcelona served much the same purpode for me as an American...it helped to open up knowledge of the Catalonian region.

Winter games my favorite is Calgary...because I was there.

• 4 weeks later...

Athens is my favorite so far. It was different and very innovative. Barcelona was also innovative but it had some boring moments. Los Angeles was my first favorite because it was the first Games that I watched. Atlanta I liked least and told myself that LA or New York would have a better stab at a cultural presentation than any other US city.

Athens is my favorite so far. It was different and very innovative. Barcelona was also innovative but it had some boring moments. Los Angeles was my first favorite because it was the first Games that I watched. Atlanta I liked least and told myself that LA or New York would have a better stab at a cultural presentation than any other US city.

The best was Soeul 1988 hands down!

Man, just think what BOCOG may be planning to have at the Beijing 2008 opening ceremony, seeing those clips from Seoul 1988. And, since it will be the third time the Olympic Games (summer) is coming to that part of Asia, never mind that the number THREE (3) is considered a lucky number in Chinese culture, it will be no less than spectacular. Greek tradition meets the "oldest continuous civilization in the world."

does anyone have a video of the Athens handover in Sydney? I've been looking for this video for sometime.

anyway for me, i only started watching in 1996 and managed to view some ceremony video of earlier games mine would be Athens and Sydney. Winter will be Torino.

Archived