Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Sir Rols

Wc 2014

I'm amazed after hunting back that there wasn't a specific thread about the 2014 WC (and the 2006 forum is read-only now).

Anyway, here's the latest from Brazil:

BRASILIA, Sept 14 Reuters - Brazil must build at least 12 new stadiums if it wants to host the 2014 World Cup, president Luiz Inacio Lula da Silva said today.

``We don't have any stadium which is in a condition to host World Cup games,'' Lula said during a speech. ``We're going to have to build at least 12 new stadiums in this country.''

The 2014 World Cup is due to be held in South America under FIFA's rotation system, and the continent's 10 football federations voted in 2003 to back Brazil as their only candidate.

The Colombian government has since said that its country is interested in staging the tournament.

Lula also suggested that Brazil should play another so-called peace match, this time in Lebanon, following their visit to strife-torn Haiti to play a friendly in 2004.

``Lebanon needs the Brazilian team,'' he said. ``Maybe it's time ..... to play a game in Lebanon for peace.''

REUTERS

That sure doesn't sound encouraging.

So that also means they're not a serious player for 2016. I think they should wait for 2018, and between now and then, they can concentrate on building 1 great stadium a year + all the hotels and infrastructure.

Now, what the Brazilian team playing in/with Lebanon (do they even have a unified team) has to do with (1) bringing peace to the region; or (2) brinbinb Brazil closer to hosting for 2014, totally escapes me. :blink: Does the Brazilian president have his nuts in the right place? :blink:

Isn't that a touch premature? Yes, the statement doesn't sound very positive at all, but he doesn't say the government doesn't want to do it.

If you were arguing that it was one or the other of 2014 or 2016, as I think has been suggested elsewhere, I would probably agree with you. But I think ruling Brazil out until 2018 is just a touch hasty.

If Brazil doesn't want to look shabbily in 2008 (when FIFA elects the 2014 host country), it has a lot of work to do until then. That doesn't mean that all 12 stadia have to be ready then but there should be enough preparation done to show that the country is able to finish the stadia in the remaining six years.

Actually, I'm very surprised that such a football-maniac country like Brazil has so many stadia in a poor state -- and not a single one in World Cup shape. What about the Joao Havelange Olympic Stadium, for example? It seats at least 45,000 people and since it's being built for the Pan American Games, it will certainly be state-of-the-art.

However, I don't quite believe that the 2014 World Cup will be staged in Brazil, Colombia or any other South American country. I guess that the impressions of the World Cup in Germany and other former World Cups in Europe will induce the FIFA members to elect an European host country for 2014 and definitely refrain from the continental rotation. Or maybe it will be Australia's turn, but I regard Europe as more likely.

I respectfully disagree. 2014 is slated for the Americas, whether you like it or not. If not Brazil -- which of course, unless they take another $15 billion loan from the World Bank to finance 2014, then it will be the US. It would've been 20 years by 2014 since the last WC in North America.

ANd I am ready to go another round here: why Europe again for 2014? Why?

You really want to go another few rounds on this, do you?

I think the next European World Cup will be 2018, not 2014, and hopefully in England, but that's a different discussion.

While I can see a European host for 2014 as a possibility, I don't think it is particularly likely at this stage. At this stage, Brazil remains the frontrunner for me. Sure there is a lot to do there, but South America is due a tournament, and Brazil is the best candidate there.

You know my views about any short to medium term US bid perfectly well. We know the US can host the tournament, but going back there so soon after 1994 is, to me, not acceptable. Comparing the US with Europe is no more than a red herring and simply doesn't stand up.

Australia is interesting. Given that, in football terms, they're now considered as part of the Asian confederation, it may be too soon for them. But a first World Cup in Oceania is a powerful pulling tool.

So while Europe and the US are possibles, I consider Brazil and Australia to still be the most likely at this stage.

I respectfully disagree. 2014 is slated for the Americas, whether you like it or not.

Wrong. 2014 was originally slated for South America (not the Americas in general), but the continental rotation is already at stake within FIFA. Thus it's absolutely not for sure whether 2014 will still be South America's time.

Simple answer: Because it's the most important football market in the world. That's also why in the past FIFA had a cycle of 8 years to give the World Cup to Europe again. Additionally, European countries have always proven that they are absolutely able to organise the tournament. South America's record in this matter is not quite that good: The disappointing 1962 World Cup in Chile and the trouble with the originally Colombian 1986 World Cup might have left some sour aftertaste for FIFA. And in case that the organisation for the 2010 World Cup in South Africa should continue to be problematic, FIFA might tend to "play safe" in 2008 and give the World Cup to a World-Cup-experienced European country. Or maybe to the USA. But I would rather predict Europe (because of the important football market mentioned above).

Go back to the US in 2014. It'll leave 2018 clear for Europe and England! :P

Seriously though, I'd rather a South American country hosted in 2014. It feels like it's their go. If they can't host and the US wants to host in 2014, good for them, and good luck to them. I'm young enough that I can't really remember USA 94, so I wouldn't mind a WC in the States in 8 years time.

Actually, 2014 can go anywhere as far as I'm concerned as long as it's a successful tournament. What I'm really hoping for is a WC in England in 12 years!!

GO COLOMBIA 2014!!! :D

Talking seriously, 2014 will be in South America: Brazil, Argentina or Colombia.

2018, Europe.

Colombia? :rolleyes: They couldn't do in 1986 when there were only 24 teams and NO Terrorism? And they're going to try now with 32 teams and Security bills of over $1 billion? Please. Don't make me laugh.

Australia? Yeah. I'd like to see the day when they 3 successive WOrld Cups in the southern hemisphere: 2010- RSA; 2014 - Brazil; 2018 - AUstralia. Oh yeah, definitely a very REAL possibility!! :lol:

I'm sure Australia has expressed an interest in 2014.

They may have; but the way I'm reading the FIFA rumblings -- and I've said this before -- is that they did not consult their media consultants before blabbing and committing to a 2014 Brazil insofar as 2 back-to-back So. Hemisphere WCs.

So I kinda get the feeling that they are 'worming' their way out of that one; and other factors seem to be working FIFA's way insofar as disengaging from the 'iron-clad' promise to Brazil.

Australia are bidding for 2018 - it has been announced by the FFA and with full backing of the Australian Government.

Should an opportunity come forward for 2014 you bet they would go for it over 2018.

No matter what anyone says (even Baron) Australia is a threat to hold the tornament for 2014 / 2018 / 2022

Of course they're a threat. Look at their track record of hosting major events in recent times. We all know Australia can do it.

Australia are bidding for 2018 - it has been announced by the FFA and with full backing of the Australian Government.

Should an opportunity come forward for 2014 you bet they would go for it over 2018.

No matter what anyone says (even Baron) Australia is a threat to hold the tornament for 2014 / 2018 / 2022

Well, good for them.

But they should also be realistic in knowing that having 3, repeat THREE successive, World Cups in the southern hemisphere is almost an impossibility! I mean maybe the seasons should totally reverse!!

The key, for whichever year we really go all out for it, will be how well we do in the Asian Cup next year. A solid showing (and making it all the way to the final is not out of the question for Oz), and making the 2010 WC finals, will give us some solid ammunition against the next most likely Asian threat, China (much as Korea's track record helped it win a share of 2002 against Japan).

Australia should be careful, though, in pushing too hard as a back-up for 2010 or 2014 _ it would be a sure way to alienate various FIFA members.

Do we actually have a bidding process for 2014 at the present moment?

No; from what we know it has been 'unofficially' reserved for Brazil. And unlike the Olympics, there aren't that many countries per round that can take on the hosting duties. But the "pact" with Brazil won't be ratified until (i) FIFA is satisfied that Brazil can fully honor its hosting duties; or (ii) 2008 or whichever comes first. But obviously, Brazil is feeling the pressure to pull its act together as they know it will be 'showtime' soon with FIFA; and as FIFA drops hints that 'you guys better get moving." In the meantime, I am sure FIFA has some 'back-up' bids held in reserve in its back pocket. I mean the WC is in many ways more grandiose than a SOG.

Australia will have some stadia problems because of their size at only 23ish million people. Canberra, Perth, Adeleide and Brisbane all need new or major upgrades and FIFA may have to bend the rules to allow both Sydney and Melbourne to have two stadia.

No need to bend any rules. Under current rules, you can have two cities with two stadia, so Australia would be fine.

Australia will have some stadia problems because of their size at only 23ish million people. Canberra, Perth, Adeleide and Brisbane all need new or major upgrades and FIFA may have to bend the rules to allow both Sydney and Melbourne to have two stadia.

Faster, I don't believe it's really a FIFA rule, 1 venue per city. It's just the recent past Organizing Committees decide to spread out the venues of 1 venue per city -- especially among the smaller cities (do you know the reason for this?) and the larger major cities, like, say, in Spain's case - Madrid and Barcelona, say Syd & Melba in Oz; NYC, LA and Chi in the US, can get at least 2 venues.

It does seem to be a relatively recent, but certainly not universal phenomenon. I think it's both a question of where the stadia that are capable hosting matches are and who bids for them.

For instance, France 98 had two venues in Paris - the Stade de France and the Parc des Princes and Lisbon had two host stadia for Euro 2004.

Should Australia bid at any time in the near future, I think we can expect that the Telstra and Aussie stadiums in Sydney would be put forward, as well as the MCG and Telstra Dome in Melbourne. Similarly, England would probably offer two stadia in London (Wembley and one other, the Emirates Stadium at present) plus Old Trafford and Eastlands in Manchester.

The Spanish WC of 1982 wasn't only in Madrid or Barcelona.

Cities like Elche, Alicante, Valencia, Sevilla, Zaragoza or Gijón had matches, too...

I respectfully disagree. 2014 is slated for the Americas, whether you like it or not. If not Brazil -- which of course, unless they take another $15 billion loan from the World Bank to finance 2014, then it will be the US. It would've been 20 years by 2014 since the last WC in North America.

Youre trippin.

The U.S. is one country, Europe is a collection of over 25... Im surprised you need a georgaphy lesson.

The World Cup went to the U.S. in 94 to raise the profile of the sport. Did it really achive that? I dont believe so.

The Unites States will not host the 2014 or 2018 World Cup.