Uefa's Two New Members

KRATK

Spain is playing his cards...like Gibraltar

It's cards,not his.In English,only living things have gender.Everything else is neuter including countries!

Yet again,Spain chooses to use strong-arm tactics and ignore the wishes of the people of Gibraltar!

When will they ever learn? Why can't they ever see that the best way (the only way) to reunite the territory with Spain will be to gain the friendship and confidence of the Gibraltarians???

How is this move guaranteed to do that? Why does Spain insist on constantly adopting this hostile and aggressive stance? It has never got them anywhere nor brought them any closer to regaining the territory,has it??? :huh:

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply
It's cards,not his.In English,only living things have gender.Everything else is neuter including countries!

Yet again,Spain chooses to use strong-arm tactics and ignore the wishes of the people of Gibraltar!

When will they ever learn? Why can't they ever see that the best way (the only way) to reunite the territory with Spain will be to gain the friendship and confidence of the Gibraltarians???

How is this move guaranteed to do that? Why does Spain insist on constantly adopting this hostile and aggressive stance? It has never got them anywhere nor brought them any closer to regaining the territory,has it??? :huh:

my bad, Spain is playing it´s cards...sorry, but is true

is a long card´s game and is all more complicated that only football...

Actually, it's ITS cards. "It's" is a contraction of "it is." Its (no apostrophe) is the 3rd person reflexive-possessive.

Oops sorry,my silly mistake.I got too careless with my use of commas didn't I? Can there be anything more embarrassing than correcting a point of grammar and then proceed to make one yourself?? (Well,I guess being accidentally caught in a public place with no clothes on probably comes close).

Sigh,I guess I've just earned myself this week's Dan Quayle Award for "Inappropriate Use of the English Language". Move over,Dan!! :unsure::blink:

It appears now that Spain's delaying tactic was...wait for it...the fact that the Victoria Stadium (our national stadium) is built on the isthmus, a narrow piece of land which Spain insists she never ceded under the Treaty of Utrecht in 1713. I'm not sure what's more ridiculous...that Spain should have the gall to use this as an argument for (temporarily) blocking our membership of an international SPORTING federation, or that UEFA actually accepted that politicized drivel.

I've heard, more than once, the remark that the Gibraltar case transcends the purely sporting and goes into the delicate and complicated world of political controversy, hence the problems over our membership. But the controversy, if there is one, is created solely and exclusively by Spain. What exactly IS the problem with our membership of UEFA? Is Spain's fear that with UEFA membership, we will have taken a little step further away from their irredentism and one step closer to political independence? Do they seriously think that membership of UEFA and political independence are linked issues? And in any case how do the supposed 'dangers' for Spain of our membership of UEFA tally with our membership of almost every other international federation in almost every other sport, bar the IOC? Is Gibraltar's membership of UEFA more dangerous for Spain than Gibraltar's membership of FIBA or FIH?

Gibraltar is not playing any "cards" because, unlike Spain, it does not see this as some grand political strategy to destroy the Spanish state. For goodness sake, we'll hardly be able to destroy the Spanish defence in a game of football, let alone damage their precious national pride by being allowed into UEFA.

ñuto a few weeks ago you told me, in Spanish I think, that you thought Spain's objections to Gibraltar were based only on a fear that our entry would be followed by attempts by Catalonia and Euskadi to break from the RFEF. I think I replied, in Spanish, that this could not happen because of the intricacies of the CAS ruling on Gibraltar, which marked it out as a special case because of the timing of the initial application to join UEFA and the subsequent amendments to the UEFA Statutes on membership (in a deliberate attempt to keep Gibraltar out). I also pointed out that unlike Catalonia and Euskadi, Gibraltar does not form part of the Spanish state (nor indeed is it a constitutional part of the UK or any other exisiting UEFA member!) and that the 3 cases could not therefore be examined in parallel.

It also intrigues me that Mr. Villar, a UEFA vice-president and RFEF President, is able to simultaneously sit on the UEFA Executive Meeting and function as RFEF President. Surely his more than palpable interest in the Gibraltar case should preclude him from involvement in Executive Committee meetings where Gibraltar is discussed?

We await UEFA's decision in December with hope but not expectation. I wonder what "card" Spain will be playing at the next Executive Committee meeting? The potential risk of a pitch invasion by a horde of apes, perhaps?

Can we have a tri-nations tournament with England, Spain and Gibraltar. That'd be fun, wouldn't it?

That would be fantastic. We'd get absolutely thrashed, but it would still be fantastic.

Spain probably wouldn't play though. They'd say something about the tournament being an affront to national dignity and a grand political conspiracy to deny them the return of territories lost in the 18th century. And of course if its held in Gibraltar they wouldn't want to play in a stadium located in a plot of land which a 1713 Treaty forgot to mention. You know how important 18th century treaties are in 21st century football.

Incidentally, just to put things in the right context, the same 1713 Treaty being used as a pretext for the latest Spanish objection to Gibraltar's UEFA entry also stipulates that no "Jews or Moors" should be allowed to live in Gibraltar. Perhaps the Spanish Football Federation included that in its dossier to UEFA too.

It appears now that Spain's delaying tactic was...wait for it...the fact that the Victoria Stadium (our national stadium) is built on the isthmus, a narrow piece of land which Spain insists she never ceded under the Treaty of Utrecht in 1713. I'm not sure what's more ridiculous...that Spain should have the gall to use this as an argument for (temporarily) blocking our membership of an international SPORTING federation, or that UEFA actually accepted that politicized drivel.

I've heard, more than once, the remark that the Gibraltar case transcends the purely sporting and goes into the delicate and complicated world of political controversy, hence the problems over our membership. But the controversy, if there is one, is created solely and exclusively by Spain. What exactly IS the problem with our membership of UEFA? Is Spain's fear that with UEFA membership, we will have taken a little step further away from their irredentism and one step closer to political independence? Do they seriously think that membership of UEFA and political independence are linked issues? And in any case how do the supposed 'dangers' for Spain of our membership of UEFA tally with our membership of almost every other international federation in almost every other sport, bar the IOC? Is Gibraltar's membership of UEFA more dangerous for Spain than Gibraltar's membership of FIBA or FIH?

Gibraltar is not playing any "cards" because, unlike Spain, it does not see this as some grand political strategy to destroy the Spanish state. For goodness sake, we'll hardly be able to destroy the Spanish defence in a game of football, let alone damage their precious national pride by being allowed into UEFA.

ñuto a few weeks ago you told me, in Spanish I think, that you thought Spain's objections to Gibraltar were based only on a fear that our entry would be followed by attempts by Catalonia and Euskadi to break from the RFEF. I think I replied, in Spanish, that this could not happen because of the intricacies of the CAS ruling on Gibraltar, which marked it out as a special case because of the timing of the initial application to join UEFA and the subsequent amendments to the UEFA Statutes on membership (in a deliberate attempt to keep Gibraltar out). I also pointed out that unlike Catalonia and Euskadi, Gibraltar does not form part of the Spanish state (nor indeed is it a constitutional part of the UK or any other exisiting UEFA member!) and that the 3 cases could not therefore be examined in parallel.

It also intrigues me that Mr. Villar, a UEFA vice-president and RFEF President, is able to simultaneously sit on the UEFA Executive Meeting and function as RFEF President. Surely his more than palpable interest in the Gibraltar case should preclude him from involvement in Executive Committee meetings where Gibraltar is discussed?

We await UEFA's decision in December with hope but not expectation. I wonder what "card" Spain will be playing at the next Executive Committee meeting? The potential risk of a pitch invasion by a horde of apes, perhaps?

for me is not a problem that Gibraltar finally join UEFA or FIFA,you known (Dennis) my opinion about the future of Gibraltar,very close to yours,but you also known that all this Gibraltar´s affair is very complicated and the spanish government have a role to play in this big comedy,like Caruana or the british gov.

I don't think it's very complicated to see that the clear conflict of interest should prevent the president of the Spanish FA from taking part in this process. It's quite clear what is going on - he's throwing as much weight around as he can. If Gibraltar are denied membership, it will be a disgrace.

Apostrophes actually. :P

I think I'll just go out and come in again!!! :o:(

Can we have a tri-nations tournament with England, Spain and Gibraltar. That'd be fun, wouldn't it?

Gibraltar would beat Spain easily.The Spanish team would refuse to recognise their opponents' right to play as a national side and would sit on the pitch with arms folded in silent protest.The Gibraltarians would then be able to play around them and would probably score a goal every two minutes.Result: Gibraltar 30 Spain 0!!! :lol:

I think I'll just go out and come in again!!! :o:(

Gibraltar would beat Spain easily.The Spanish team would refuse to recognise their opponents' right to play as a national side and would sit on the pitch with arms folded in silent protest.The Gibraltarians would then be able to play around them and would probably score a goal every two minutes.Result: Gibraltar 30 Spain 0!!! :lol:

very funny... <_<

very funny... <_<

Well, you have to admit that it would be kind of funny...

"-I remember this game 50 years ago. It wase a qualification game betwen Spain and Gilbaltar for the 2010 FIFA WorldCup. Gilbartar won 45-0.

-Grampa, wats Gilbartar?"

:lol:

Well, you have to admit that it would be kind of funny...

"-I remember this game 50 years ago. It wase a qualification game betwen Spain and Gilbaltar for the 2010 FIFA WorldCup. Gilbartar won 45-0.

-Grampa, wats Gilbartar?"

:lol:

LOL.

I have no idea what Gilbartar is.

Gibraltar on the other hand is a UK Overseas Territory located south of Spain. Google the name "Gibraltar" (not Gilbartar, you won't get much with that) and you'll find plenty of information. Note it all down, put it in a safe place, so you can tell your grandchildren all about it.

;-)

• 1 year later...
"The captors had ostensibly fought in the interests of Charles Archduke of Austria (afterwards Charles III), but, though his sovereignty over the rock was proclaimed on July 24 1704,Sir Gorge Rook on his own responsibility caused the English Flag to be hoisted, and took possession in name of the Queen Anne. It is hardly to the honour of England that it was both unprincipled enough to sanction and ratify the occupation ,and ungrateful enough to leave unrewarded the general to whose unscrupulous patriotism the acquisition was due.The Spaniards keenly felt the injustice done to them ,and the inhabitants of the town of Gibraltar in great numbers abandoned their homes rather than recognize the authority of the invaders"

ENCYCLOPEDIA BRITANNICA

Adam and Charles Black

Edimburgh 1879

ahgggg uglyyyyyyyyyyyy

Archived