Uefa's Two New Members

KRATK

In the next months, UEFA and FIFA will have two new members.

The first one is Montenegro. After being the worst team in the last World Cup, the team of Serbia and Montenegro was dissolved. Serbia inherited the former united team (and the records of the Kingdom of Yugoslavia, Communist Yugoslavia and the Federal Republic) but the tiny country in the Adriatic sea had to create a new association and a new national football team. The new Football Asociation of Montenegro applied to membership of UEFA and FIFA... both federations accept the inclusion of the newest country in the world. Montenegro will become associate member in October and full member in January 2007. After this, FIFA will accept Montenegro as new member in May 2007.

Savicevic_Inside_bg.jpg

Not as friendly is the accesion of the British colony of Gibraltar. Gibraltar Football Association was founded in 1895 and is one of the oldest federations in the world. But, the Spanish refusal has stopped the membership of Gibraltar to any football federation. Spain has warned that if the small colony is allowed to join, they will pull out of the organisation. But, in the last days, the Court for the Arbitration of Sport (CAS) had demanded that the Gibraltar Football Association must be admitted in UEFA and FIFA. Gibraltar should be admitted on a provisional basis at the organisation's next executive meeting on Oct. 4 and 5. Also, Gibraltar FA should be granted full membership in January. Spain is protesting about the decision but nothing is clear right now. At least, the decision of the CAS is irrevocable... will Spain retire of UEFA? I don't think so...

Gfatotal.gif

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply
In the next months, UEFA and FIFA will have two new members.

The first one is Montenegro. After being the worst team in the last World Cup, the team of Serbia and Montenegro was dissolved. Serbia inherited the former united team (and the records of the Kingdom of Yugoslavia, Communist Yugoslavia and the Federal Republic) but the tiny country in the Adriatic sea had to create a new association and a new national football team. The new Football Asociation of Montenegro applied to membership of UEFA and FIFA... both federations accept the inclusion of the newest country in the world. Montenegro will become associate member in October and full member in January 2007. After this, FIFA will accept Montenegro as new member in May 2007.

Savicevic_Inside_bg.jpg

Not as friendly is the accesion of the British colony of Gibraltar. Gibraltar Football Association was founded in 1895 and is one of the oldest federations in the world. But, the Spanish refusal has stopped the membership of Gibraltar to any football federation. Spain has warned that if the small colony is allowed to join, they will pull out of the organisation. But, in the last days, the Court for the Arbitration of Sport (CAS) had demanded that the Gibraltar Football Association must be admitted in UEFA and FIFA. Gibraltar should be admitted on a provisional basis at the organisation's next executive meeting on Oct. 4 and 5. Also, Gibraltar FA should be granted full membership in January. Spain is protesting about the decision but nothing is clear right now. At least, the decision of the CAS is irrevocable... will Spain retire of UEFA? I don't think so...

Gfatotal.gif

not only Spain is against the entry of Gibraltar in UEFA.read this article of The Times:

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,27-2352250,00.html

Finally Gibraltar will not entry in UEFA,I´m sure,the gibraltarians players can play with any british federation o with Spain,is all.

They've had long enough to whine. Get into the 21st century please.

a colony of one european state in other european state is normal in the 21st century?

What's the big problem?

is not a big problem...

It will be a shame if the decision to admit Gibraltar into Uefa is determined by external political influences. Yet, equally, it will be a shame if Gibraltar is admitted at all.

Simply put, there is no valid reason for Gibraltar to join Uefa. For a start, Gibraltar is not a country. And the rules clearly stipulate that only countries that are recognised by the United Nations can join Uefa.

True, Wales, Northern Ireland, Scotland, England and the Faroe Isles are not members of the UN either, but they joined Uefa before the rule was passed. And in the case of the home nations, there are plenty of valid historical reasons why they should be Uefa members.

Then there is the footballing issue. The point is not that Gibraltar would probably be a poor team. Countries such as Liechtenstein and San Marino, who are roughly the same size, are also pretty poor when it comes to football. Yet the fact remains, both occasionally produce decent footballers.

Massimo Bonini, of San Marino, was a stalwart midfield player for Juventus who won league titles and even the European Cup. Mario Frick, of Liechtenstein, has scored plenty of goals for Ternana in Serie B and FC Basle in the Swiss top flight.

Sure, Gibraltar may produce a good footballer, too. But the difference is that, unlike Bonini, Frick and anyone else born in San Marino or Liechtenstein, a Gibraltarian-born professional would have the option of playing for one of the home nations or with Spain. He does not need Gibraltar to become a Uefa member to play international football because he can already play for a Uefa member nation (four of them, in fact).

On the other hand, not allowing players from small sovereign nations to participate in international competition simply because of their relative weakness could be seen as discriminatory.

Gibraltar’s campaign for entry into Uefa (which, strangely enough, is spearheaded by a far more professional-looking website than that of the Gibraltar FA, which looks poor and features a league table that has not been updated since 2005) is being treated by some as a quaint underdog story, with tales of how the Gibraltar team supposedly drew 2-2 with the mighty Real Madrid in 1949. (sic)

In fact, it is nothing more than a cross between a publicity stunt and an age-old political dispute masquerading as a sporting issue. The sad thing is that Uefa is even wasting its time with this nonsense.

Ask the people of Gibraltar whose flag they hold allegiance to. It certainly isn't the Spanish one, and Spain should accept that.

I would like to say the last thing about this issue about Gibraltar entering UEFA.

Gibraltar is part of Spain,differents UN resolutions say that,and the people who lived in Gibraltar are not gibraltareños but Brits who migrated there from Britain and other countries (Malta,etc) and who KICKED out Spaniards who lived there (1704).

Why does Gibraltar have this idea that it will be a country?

It will never happen because Spain will never recognise an independent Gibraltar.

The future of Gibraltar is in Spain,never againts Spain...

You clearly have strong views on this issue and so do I. The people of Gibraltar alone should have the decision about where their allegiances lay. They have made their views clear over and over again. Gibraltar is not part of Spain now, and I don't expect it to be at any time in the future. History is just that. Start talking about the here and now.

a colony of one european state in other european state is normal in the 21st century?

is not a big problem...

Let me just say there's plenty of examples...beginning from Ceuta and Melilla...oh, yes, Morocco is not a european country, so I have to admit your thesis has not been confuted.

But, surprise! There's at least another one: Campione d'Italia, an italian enclave in Swiss territory.

I can bet there are many others I do not know...

Let me just say there's plenty of examples...beginning from Ceuta and Melilla...oh, yes, Morocco is not a european country, so I have to admit your thesis has not been confuted.

But, surprise! There's at least another one: Campione d'Italia, an italian enclave in Swiss territory.

I can bet there are many others I do not know...

Campione is not a colony,is an enclave,like Llivia,a spanish enclave in France,is not the same...

When Gibraltar will returned to Spain,would be time to speak about Ceuta and Melilla with Morocco.

ah ok

soooo it's like "you go ahead 'cos i'm laughing to die for...!"

btw: i really don't mind about this. it's the gibiltarians (???) choice...if they had choice...!

is all more complicated...but is not sport,I don´t want to speak about it...is an ancient and boring affair...

You clearly have strong views on this issue and so do I. The people of Gibraltar alone should have the decision about where their allegiances lay. They have made their views clear over and over again. Gibraltar is not part of Spain now, and I don't expect it to be at any time in the future. History is just that. Start talking about the here and now.

Gibraltar is like Hong Kong... If Spain would be more powerful like China, Gibraltar would have been Spanish in the 80's...

Spain is doing a 'childish' policy towards Gibraltar: if you don't give us this stupid rock we won't give you those stupid burglars of the Crime Coast (Sun Coast).

Ceuta and Melilla have been Spanish before Navarre... Navarre is Spanish since 1512. The Canary Islands are Spanish since 1492.

You only want Gibraltar for the nuclear submarines... Like the 'Tireless'...

PS. I don't mind about Ceuta and Melilla. They only give us problems with the inmigrants... But the Canary Island will always be Spanish, like Cerdegna Italian or Crete Greek...

Gibraltar is like Hong Kong... If Spain would be more powerful like China, Gibraltar would have been Spanish in the 80's...

There IS a difference though.The people of Hong Kong WANTED to be reunited with China.The people of Gibraltar clearly DON'T!

You only want Gibraltar for the nuclear submarines... Like the 'Tireless'...

The British Government would love to hand Gibraltar back to Spain but are prevented from doing so by the fierce and almost unanimous determination of the Gibraltarians to stay British!

It would be better for Spain to try and get the people of Gibraltar on your side and get them to like and trust you instead of making threats and insisting on your rights! Then,in time,they may wish to re-join you of their own accord!!

There IS a difference though.The people of Hong Kong WANTED to be reunited with China.The people of Gibraltar clearly DON'T!

The British Government would love to hand Gibraltar back to Spain but are prevented from doing so by the fierce and almost unanimous determination of the Gibraltarians to stay British!

It would be better for Spain to try and get the people of Gibraltar on your side and get them to like and trust you instead of making threats and insisting on your rights! Then,in time,they may wish to re-join you of their own accord!!

They don't like to be Spanish because they are very well like they're now:

1. The drugs and tobacco are HUGE fountains of money.

2. They aren't looked by the Spanish justice.

3. They swindle the Spanish Treasury more than 100 million € each year.

4. They go to the British hospitals by helicopter.

5. More than 500,000 Andalousians enter to work to the Rock every day.

6. They've an airport in Spanish territory (with a Spanish flag)

7. They can speak both English or Spanish, or a mixture of both.

They don't like to be Spanish because they are very well like they're now:

1. The drugs and tobacco are HUGE fountains of money.

2. They aren't looked by the Spanish justice.

3. They swindle the Spanish Treasury more than 100 million € each year.

4. They go to the British hospitals by helicopter.

5. More than 500,000 Andalousians enter to work to the Rock every day.

6. They've an airport in Spanish territory (with a Spanish flag)

7. They can speak both English or Spanish, or a mixture of both.

500,000 andalusians???? te has pasao tio ;)

the others points are true...

When claims were being made that the British government were looking to start talks on it, the public and press alike went mad and quite rightly so. This is an issue for the people themselves, not the governments of London or Madrid.

nobody ask the opinion of the people of Hong Kong in 1997...

this question will be resolved when the economic level of Gibraltar and the spanish cities neighbours (La Linea,San Roque,Los Barrios,Algeciras) will be similar...perhaps in 15-20 years...

The people of Gibraltar are in the telephone list of the Spanish Cádiz province... Officially it's population is around 30,000 but it's surrounded, and I mean SURROUNDED by 3 big neighbourhoods-cities of more than 50,000 people each. And many people of these cities go to work to Gibraltar.

La Línea de la Concepción

San Roque

Los Barrios

I love this argument!! Just the thing to unite the Europeans.

I have a solution for the fate of Gibraltar. No one's asked the famous Barbary apes of the island. Let them decide on whose side they'd like to play soccer!! :lol:

How come the UK hasn't given:

1. the Elgin Marbles back to Greece? They seem to belong to the Acropolis.

2. the Channel Islands back to France? They are closer to France than to the UK.

3. Las Malvinas back to Argentina? They are closer to Argentina than to the UK.

4. Gibraltar back to Spain? It is closer to Spain than to the UK.

Who cares what the inhabitants feel? Move them all back to the UK.

Archived