Beijing Olympic Mascot Revealed

nykfan845

Img212041927.jpg

Fu Niu Lele carries rich Chinese national style and cultural characteristics, embodies rich Olympic spirit, and contains the indomitable combatant spirit of Paralympians and their resolution to make self-reliance efforts. It gives expression to the harmonious co-existence between man and nature and fully conforms to Paralympians' character of striving to make progress and the Beijing Paralympic Games concepts of "Transcendence, Equality and Integration."

It's cute.

So, is this little guy/gal going to take the place of the five friendlies?

I miss the days when Olympic mascots were just one simple animal.

So, is this little guy/gal going to take the place of the five friendlies?

I miss the days when Olympic mascots were just one simple animal.

Wait, this is the Paralympic mascot? I'd say the Paralympians are getting the better end of the deal. :lol:

I like what the Chinese have done with both the Olympic and paralympic mascots. As Baron said, that's what these things should be, something cute with an appeal to kids, not some excercise in post-modern graphic designm one-upmanship.

Nobody remembers the paralympic mascots anyway. I can't for the life of me at the moment remember what Sydney or Athens did.

That joke was unintentionally in bad taste.

Yes you're right; people with disabilities would prefer to be wrapped in cotton wool and patronised, and have us all walking on egg shells afraid of offending those who are overly politically correct instead of being treated the same as everyone else.

Yes you're right; people with disabilities would prefer to be wrapped in cotton wool and patronised, and have us all walking on egg shells afraid of offending those who are overly politically correct instead of being treated the same as everyone else.

So making a joke about people with disabilities is treating them the same? My father works with the disabled, and I can tell you that making a joke about their disabilities is definitely not treating them the same.

So making a joke about people with disabilities is treating them the same? My father works with the disabled, and I can tell you that making a joke about their disabilities is definitely not treating them the same.

Yes exactly, joking with people who have disabilities is treating them the same! I joke around with my friends and family all the time, as they joke around with me - I wouldn't behave any differently towards those with disabilities than I would anyone else. I'm a member of a minority group myself, my friends often tease me about that - people with intelligence know what is a comment made to upset and what is one made to be laughed at or lighten a mood at an appropriate time.

I used to teach blind people to cope with everyday life, everything from making a cup of tea to reading braille. I wouldn't have patronised them or ignored the fact that they were normal people with a sense of humour, nor would they have appreciated me doing so, they were not five year old children in a playground, just because a few parts of their bodies didn't work as they should didn't mean that their emotions and sentiments were any less able to comprehend than I was. Neither could I have ignored the fact that they were blind - sometimes making light of a situation was the only way to prevent them from emotional stress or fear. I find it completely patronising to separate certain groups off to be treated differently from others - the political correct obsessed are just as damaging as those with real prejudices. Infact being overly-politically correct is prejudice as it assumes that the minority group isn't capable of humour or must be wrapped up and protected as if they were delicate relics.

Perhaps you should go to your fathers workplace one day and actually talk with some of the people there - if you did you would realise that most are just as capable at understanding humour, anger, etc.. as most able bodied people would be. Although you're obviously very young, perhaps too young to understand and should be protected from life's realities (see how annoying being patronised is?).

:angry:

I liked the paralympic mascot, on the same cute line used for the olympic ones (but not that weird).

Some photos of the unveiling ceremony, behind of the Great Wall

Img212041875.jpg

Img212042065.jpg

Img212042109.jpg

Vids from the launch ceremony

http://en.beijing2008.com/21/20/article212042021.shtml

Promotional film of the mascot

http://en.beijing2008.com/24/20/article212042024.shtml

Note: As i can see this videos don't reproduce on Firefox, better use IExplorer 6.

and um Nagano had... um... wasn't it another retarded owlet? That's all I can think of.

The Nagano paralympics had somekind of a weird rabbit as their mascot.

ms1998pr.gif

I still don't understand why the Nagano comittee changed their original bid mascot (Snowple) for that deformed owls (one of the worst olympic mascots in history, something that surprise me knowing the fame that the japanese designers and animators have)

ms1998b2.jpg

Yes exactly, joking with people who have disabilities is treating them the same! I joke around with my friends and family all the time, as they joke around with me - I wouldn't behave any differently towards those with disabilities than I would anyone else. I'm a member of a minority group myself, my friends often tease me about that - people with intelligence know what is a comment made to upset and what is one made to be laughed at or lighten a mood at an appropriate time.

I used to teach blind people to cope with everyday life, everything from making a cup of tea to reading braille. I wouldn't have patronised them or ignored the fact that they were normal people with a sense of humour, nor would they have appreciated me doing so, they were not five year old children in a playground, just because a few parts of their bodies didn't work as they should didn't mean that their emotions and sentiments were any less able to comprehend than I was. Neither could I have ignored the fact that they were blind - sometimes making light of a situation was the only way to prevent them from emotional stress or fear. I find it completely patronising to separate certain groups off to be treated differently from others - the political correct obsessed are just as damaging as those with real prejudices. Infact being overly-politically correct is prejudice as it assumes that the minority group isn't capable of humour or must be wrapped up and protected as if they were delicate relics.

Perhaps you should go to your fathers workplace one day and actually talk with some of the people there - if you did you would realise that most are just as capable at understanding humour, anger, etc.. as most able bodied people would be. Although you're obviously very young, perhaps too young to understand and should be protected from life's realities (see how annoying being patronised is?).

:angry:

Here, here. I am sick and tired of the political correctness culture that is seeping like pus from a boil into our daily lives and that was the best critique of it I have read in a very long time.

Anyway, is it just me or does the colour scheme suggest the mascot was designed by someone on psychadelic drugs? The kids will probably like it, though.

I don't understand about the Paralympic mascot. I was looking at his feet. I notice that one foot is green and the other foot is blue. Is that supposed to be his shoe or sock or something? :unsure:

I don't understand about the Paralympic mascot. I was looking at his feet. I notice that one foot is green and the other foot is blue. Is that supposed to be his shoe or sock or something? :unsure:

Perhaps that's where they may have, VERY SUBTLY, placed the critter's 'handicap' -- rather than a full missing limb or something. Now that you've pointed it out -- more like one foot is shorter than the other, and the 'hoof' would be the 'prosthesis" to aid the...deformity. Nonetheless, if so, it is still VERY well done.

Edited by baron-pierreIV

• 3 weeks later...