North And South Korea Make Progress

North and South Korea have made progress on forming a unified team for the 2008 Beijing Olympics. The rivals, who have agreed in principle to field one team for the games, have struggled to find a blueprint on how to combine their squads. After meetings Tuesday mediated by IOC president Jacques Rogge, the two countries' top Olympic officials said they were hopeful that all remaining issues could soon be hammered out.

http://sport.guardian.co.uk/breakingnews/f...6059223,00.html

North and South Korea have made progress on forming a unified team for the 2008 Beijing Olympics. The rivals, who have agreed in principle to field one team for the games, have struggled to find a blueprint on how to combine their squads. After meetings Tuesday mediated by IOC president Jacques Rogge, the two countries' top Olympic officials said they were hopeful that all remaining issues could soon be hammered out.

http://sport.guardian.co.uk/breakingnews/f...6059223,00.html

sounds promising!!!

But the athlete picking process is really complicated....

North Korea wants an equal amount of athletes from both side, but South Korea wants athletes to be picked based on merit...

So, if we do it the South Korean way, it is likely to have more South Koreans represented at the Olympic games because.... well, South Koreans do better than the North Koreans at the Olympics...

So, of course, North Korea feels like this unified team would overshadow the North's athlete by the overwhelming presence of the South Koreans....

But I believe the BEST should go to the Olympics..... I mean, that's the point of the Olympics, isn't it? The country's best competing with another country's best athletes...

Edited by AnDrEw8

North Korea wants an equal amount of athletes from both side, but South Korea wants athletes to be picked based on merit...

So, if we do it the South Korean way, it is likely to have more South Koreans represented at the Olympic games because.... well, South Koreans do better than the North Koreans at the Olympics...

So, of course, North Korea feels like this unified team would overshadow the North's athlete by the overwhelming presence of the South Koreans....

But I believe the BEST should go to the Olympics..... I mean, that's the point of the Olympics, isn't it? The country's best competing with another country's best athletes...

Yes, undoubtedly, and, beside, the merit system will force and motivate North Korea to develop its sport activity.

I prefer North Koreas plan. If for any other reason maybe there will be fewer whiney South Korean athletes. <_<

I prefer North Koreas plan. If for any other reason maybe there will be fewer whiney South Korean athletes. <_<

All the International Federations have their own Olympic qualifications system, different but in any case well ruled and with the maximum quota of athlets to be selected.

This quota is established by IOC for each sport ( the total OG participants cannot be higher then 10.500 )

How can you manage the NK system?

SK and NK should renounce to send strong competitors to the hard continental and/or world qualification tests, and bring a team with somebody that will probably loose the qualif ?

I think NK should try to get spots in the unified Korean team; beside they can improve their performances with the help of SK trainers which are very strong in many sport (archery, taekwondo, badminton, judo, ....)

They can also apply for wild cards, and let some promising competitor to join :) the team.