Dig! Convention Centre megaproject under way!

Olympic USA

Mr.X, there is nothing you can show me that will change my opinion about this architectural tragedy. It looks like a football field with a really bad attitude! And pray tell, will this facility be used in 2010 and if so....will there be grass on the roof for lets say- skiing perhaps? In the end, I hereby declare this abysmal design an epic tragedy in the entire  history ofarchitecture! I suppose that itself will make Vancouver internationally famous for all the wrong reasons.

architectural tragedy? not even i would go as far as calling the Beijing Olympic Stadium that because it at least deserves some credit for being innovative. this too is innovative and very environmentally friendly design which is what BC is trying to showcase to the world in 2010. it's a first in the size of this roof for North America and outside of North America and it's a proven major success in Europe.

also, it's not a grass roof. their building a 5 acre test section of the roof in North Vancouver to see what kind of plants to put on the roof. the renderings and models show a green roof because afterall, there are gonna be plants there, probably small bushes.

obviously, you only take interest in the building, not the environment it will be in which is glass, white, concrete, and more glass - downtown Vancouver. it'll stand out as a friendly green design. Vancouver is a city of modern architecture....this is modern architecture. it's a new concept and Vancouverites according to polls like it.

if you still don't like it, Vancouver City Hall still has to approve the design, even though the project is headed by the provincial government. Currently, the province is just putting in the pilings of the building and moving land which will take until Spring 2005. if the city doesn't like it, the design will be changed.

Vancouver needs this facility as the convention business in Vancouver is booming and the current facilities are far from keeping up with the demand.

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mr.x, Mr.x, Mr.x. The structure is hideous-period! Weren't the sails of canada house suppose to rival Sydney's Opera House? -Yes

Did the canada house become famous outside of Vancouver and Canada? - No.

Understand that the concept of innovation embraces the dimensions of creativity, uniqueness, and superior beauty.

The structure certainly is unique!

The structure certainly is creative!

But it ain't even registering on the beauty scale!

Sadly, this building does not represent the stunning futuristic ambiance that is so overwhelmingly evident in modern Canadian architecture.

Boy, if this crap is built, the architectural world  will  remember vancouver - in the worst possible way.

I sure as hell won't be coming to see the assembled remnants of a plane crash.

Mr.X, there is nothing you can show me that will change my opinion about this architectural tragedy. It looks like a football field with a really bad attitude! And pray tell, will this facility be used in 2010 and if so....will there be grass on the roof for lets say- skiing perhaps? In the end, I hereby declare this abysmal design an epic tragedy in the entire  history ofarchitecture! I suppose that itself will make Vancouver internationally famous for all the wrong reasons.

I totally agree.  It does look horrible.  

If you think this is an example of a good landmark design ....  :Oo:

this building simply will look good for the environment it is in. it gives the Coal Harbour waterfront a unique green/parkland strip. according to polls made by the Vancouver Sun, Vancouverites do like it. you are overexagerrating as if somebody killed your dog or as if a plane crashed into it and the tail was still sticking out of it and was never removed or as if it was abandoned and went dirty. if anything at your POV, this building is better than the average box convention centre.

this is architecture at its worst, though still not an architectural disaster:

Tower2.jpg

beijing2.jpg

Mr.X still you are missing the point. Beijing's proposed Olympic Stadium is monumentally stunning! That building in taiwan is not that bad looking either.

It seem as if you are stuck believing that in order to be environmentally friendly, you have to look attrocious. Wrong!

Trust me when I tell you that the Vancouver public has been blindfolded. This structure will not be remembered! period.

A colossal monument dedicated to barfing would be way more impressive. They are a whole lot of websites on the internet dedicated to critiquing architecture by the best persons in the field. Why not send a cashe of photos of the project to them and see what they say? Beware of the fake sites! they do exist.

Personally, I like the way the greenspace along coal harbour melds into the roof...

Not to mention, that I heard rumour that they were going to use a lot of exposed cedar (a la Bing Thom's Surrey masterpiece) for the structural supports...

(wheres the drool smiley when you need it)

Let's face it kerrybymoonlight, your opinion obviously differs greatly from mine (as well as MrX), but that doesn't mean you are the only opinion that matters...

Some people prefer the praries, some prefer the mountains... Some like bushes ontop of buildings...

And telling us were stupid for it is far far from productive... Just accept that we like different things and let that be the end of it all...

Mr.X still you are missing the point. Beijing's proposed Olympic Stadium is monumentally stunning! That building in taiwan is not that bad looking either.

It seem as if you are stuck believing that in order to be environmentally friendly, you have to look attrocious. Wrong!

Trust me when I tell you that the Vancouver public has been blindfolded. This structure will not be remembered! period.

A colossal monument dedicated to barfing would be way more impressive. They are a whole lot of websites on the internet dedicated to critiquing architecture by the best persons in the field. Why not send a cashe of photos of the project to them and see what they say? Beware of the fake sites! they do exist.

as i said before, you cannot judge a building by just its structural design. this building will look good on the waterfront and it's not suppose to be a significant landmark so it won't compete with Canada Place, not Canada House as you refferred that as. like what i and Oboro said, we both think the greenspace along the Coal Harbour waterfront and this green building will look good for Vancouver.

i am not stuck to being environmentally friendly, though almost every building today in Vancouver is environmentally friendly. you are simply overexagerrating calling this an architectural disaster. it's either "you don't like it" or "you like it." and as i said before, it is a lot better than the average design of a convention centre.

regarding the Beijing Olympic Stadium, there were a few polls here asking the members to comment on the stadium. more than half said it was a bad design and that the designers were too innovative which is why they came up with this bad design. also, regarding the world's tallest building in Taiwan, there was a topic for that too where most of the comments were negative.

it's opinion, and obviously, you do not respect that and the fact is, you may not like it but it is overexagerrating to call it a architectual disaster.

construction:

vch2004_541.jpg

Mr. X You are not thinking internationally at all. At the end of the day............the building doesn't make a stunning optimististic statement.....its depressing - you're depressing - the way you depend sooooooooooo heavily on polls as if you can't think for yourself........

You must understand that in this day and age, image is eveything...........that "crumpled chocolate wrapper lying in the front yard" does more harm to vancouver's waterfront aesthetically speaking than anything else. Don't try to understand the obvious realities if you can't comprehend the basic concepts......just move on K? I think that advice goes for all vancoverites

Mr. X You are not thinking internationally at all. At the end of the day............the building doesn't make a stunning optimististic statement.....its depressing - you're depressing - the way you depend sooooooooooo heavily on polls as if you can't think for yourself........

You must understand that in this day and age, image is eveything...........that "crumpled chocolate wrapper lying in the front yard" does more harm to vancouver's waterfront aesthetically speaking than anything else. Don't try to understand the obvious realities if you can't comprehend the basic concepts......just move on K? I think that advice goes for all vancoverites

i do not care about what the world thinks. and as i said before, it's not suppose to make a stunning optimistic statement! it's suppose to serve a economical, convention and trade, and tourism legacy for this province. i am referring to polls because what you think does not matter, it's Vancouverites that matter because it is in their city and will be part of their city for decades and decades to come. not someone from the eastern seaboard. the only person that's depressing is yourself.

you obviously think your opinion is the only right one.

i do not care about what the world thinks. and as i said before, it's not suppose to make a stunning optimistic statement! it's suppose to serve a economical, convention and trade, and tourism legacy for this province. i am referring to polls because what you think does not matter, it's Vancouverites that matter because it is in their city and will be part of their city for decades and decades to come. not someone from the eastern seaboard. the only person that's depressing is yourself.

you obviously think your opinion is the only right one.

Speaking of buildings that are aestecially unappealing, that should have never been built...

Were there not people who said the exact same thing about the Eiffel Tower (to the point that it was almost taken down after the worlds fair)...

Now, I'm not stupid, and I realise that comparing this stucture to the Eiffel Tower is laughable, but just think if the naysayers had won...

I guess what I'm trying to say is that "At the end of the day" (as you put it) you're opinion means nothing to me.

I like the building. Mr X likes the building. Many other people (as proven by polls) like it.

Accept this and move on.

Instead of whining like a baby because someone disagrees with you, try posting something productive... Maybe about all the great opertunities Vancouver will now have due to the increased convention facility size...

And if you really feel so strongly that this building is going to ruin Vancouver forever and ever and ever (who knows, maybe the IOC will give the Olympics to Salzburg because of this eyesore  :wink: ) then write to politicans, newspapers, or somewhere where your opinion is more likely to be heard by someone who is actually able to change something...

I am one of those who doesnt like the building.

I just see it as a missed oppourtunity to create something visually stunning on Vancouver's beautiful waterfront.  

You know what, it might look nice in the end - we cant tell untill its actually built.  I guess its hard to judge without seeing real pictures.  Perhaps the artist conceptions do not do the center justice.

Anyways I thought I would post some pictures of convention centers that I think would look cool in Vancouver.  

Pittsburgh

Pittsburgh_Conv_Ctr.jpg

11906_image_10.150.jpg

Hong Kong

Hong-Kong-Convention-Center.jpg

02_10.jpg

Now that is stunning Death Star.you obviously know what High archtectural art is! Who came up with that design? I would be blown sky high if you told me you came up with that? Are u an Architech? The spirit and character of it is incredible. Mr.x and Oborro or obooron or moron or whatever his name is , are both having a really hard time grasping international concepts that only people of a higher calibre of intelligence are able to grasp. It's people like that are confined

to the narrow dark cellars of their minds. They exist in a type of darkness where the power of the imagination is non-existence....thank God that is not as common as once before.

That design is simply marvellous! Well done, death

I sit on a local business committee and we recently had a presentation by the people from Tourism Vancouver.  The convention centre was one of the topics discussed.  Their research indicates that when ever a "movable" annual conference is held in Vancouver (by "movable" I mean one that is hosted in a different city each year), the Vancouver conference attracts an average of 12% greater attendance than the previous conference.  That is why the city is focusing so much energy on the new facility.  Well, that and the Olympics.

But another factor...in the next 5-10 years, China is planning on constructing over 200 new conference centres, many of which will be competing for international conferences.

Architecturally, the building isn't that fascinating and it won't become an icon for the city.

But what I really like about it is the fact that the building will almost disappear into the landscape of the waterfront.  The focus won't be on the building but on the best feature of that location - the views looking north and west to the Mountains, the Ocean and Stanley Park.  I used to work for a company located in an office tower in that area and the views from my office were stunning.  The only thing I miss about that place were the views from my office on a bright sunny day.

As long as the interior works and flows well, there are things to do and the views are sustained, that's all conference planners will care about anyway.

Now that is stunning Death Star.you obviously know what High archtectural art is! Who came up with that design? I would be blown sky high if you told me you came up with that? Are u an Architech? The spirit and character of it is incredible. Mr.x and Oborro or obooron or moron or whatever his name is , are both having a really hard time grasping international concepts that only people of a higher calibre of intelligence are able to grasp. It's people like that are confined

to the narrow dark cellars of their minds. They exist in a type of darkness where the power of the imagination is non-existence....thank God that is not as common as once before.

That design is simply marvellous! Well done, death

The same type of "higher calibre intelligence" that resorts to name calling on a public forum...

Oh I bow down to your spoon bending mental capacity.

Here's an analogy:

I like PPG Place, quite frankly, I think it is one of the most architecturally stunning towers built since the Chrysler Building. Many people agree with me, maybe not to the same extent, but they do agree it is great architecture.

Many people disagree with me.

Do you see me going around and attempting to belittle people for their difference in opinion?

no!

Why?

Because I have the mental capacity to understand that it brings NOTHING to the table.

We understand you do not like it, we accept that you do not like, heck, we even live our daily lives knowing that there are many people like you that have the same opinion.

You are not the be all and end all, especially when opinion comes into play. There are 2.2 million other opinions in the lower mainland equally as important as yours... Although I'm not even sure your from the lower mainland, so there might be 2.2 million opinions more important than yours...

And if you must continue your childish rants about how horrible this is, could you at least instill the tact that people such as DeathStarTrench... I find nothing objectioable about his post and accept it as an informed and mature opinion...

Obooro,  your excessively lonnnnnnnngg babble proves my point exactly........leave the higher concepts for those who are mentally fitter......just be at peace with your station in life however unfortunate.....Another thing, don't ever apply to sit on the board of a major global entity........you won't survive......or at least the entity wouldn't.....

Be mature enough not to be offended by this post, the apparent harsh reality of the comments here is everyday reality where the greatest minds in the world make the greatest decisions in the world. You must be able to see things, hear things and not take them personally.

Still, I must bear in mind that you may not be as emotionally advanced as others. Peace be with you

it's not about the building, it's what works for the environment of downtown Vancouver and it's what Vancouverites like. this building IS NOT suppose to be a significant landmark, it is suppose to blend with the green Coal Harbour waterfront parks

i won't waste my time anymore on discussing this issue with you. it's pointless because you simply do not respect opinion and think your opinion is superior. you can still defend your opinion and at the same time, respect the opinion of others.