Dig! Convention Centre megaproject under way!

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Aaron - this assesment from you? - someone who lives in crumpled soda can?

While I ignore your pathetic north american slang (like who still uses the word soda… so lame)

I’m sorry if your life is so incomplete and empty that you have to fill the void by going around abusing people via the internet… Shows how little of a person you are. I may be in the same boat.

And with your comments about certain topics, it seems that I’m not the only one who lives in a “soda” can.

boo-ya

Aaron - this assesment from you? - someone who lives in crumpled soda can?

While I ignore your pathetic north american slang (like who still uses the word soda… so lame)

I’m sorry if your life is so incomplete and empty that you have to fill the void by going around abusing people via the internet… Shows how little of a person you are. I may be in the same boat.

And with your comments about certain topics, it seems that I’m not the only one who lives in a “soda” can.

boo-ya

No no no, you have it all wrong... You are forgetting that he is a far superior intellect than all of us. You live in a soda can, he has decreed- be it so... Also, add soda to your vocabulary, lest you seem uneducated...

Kerry reminds me a lot of wobbly headed bob:

"Yes, magnificent, is it not?

You are marvelling at the awsome force of brain that is my head, yes? Difficult to believe is it not, that the mind within is even mightier. Seems absurd for genius such as mine to be the product of random events doesn't it?

And yet, my faith in some master artisian wavers now. For what form of superior being concieves of a design such as my own, only to have its power lost on those who look upon it?

I am not heard.

Screaming in a crowd, but no heads turn to understand.

Doomed by my very gift."

'Wobbly Headed Bob' JtHM- Jhonen Vasquez

Knob jockey is the terminology I like to use.. This guy is a snail, stuck up in his own little shell. No doubt self absorption comes into this.. Do you know what people are, get meet some, it would benefit the world.

I take it he’s so cooped up he is probably oblivious to TIME Magazine or the Iraq War.

Olympics, aaron, x, oborro......I'm really sick and tired of always extending myself to reach down to you all. If none of you can at least raise you heads (and your self esteem), I can no longer be seen conversing with you. From now on Please post all your concerns and comments ( no matter how dumb) to the Moderator (may God have mercy on his soul to be condemned to read and respond to your crap).

Now....for higher more intelligent lifeforms.....the design of the structure is a tragedy of gigantic porpotions..However,the use of wood in the interior will more than make up for it.... Approve or disapprove? Apart from looking like the reassembled parts of a plane crash, I'm sure the enterior will make up for the exterior eye torture.

Olympics, aaron, x, oborro......I'm really sick and tired of always extending myself to reach down to you all. If none of you can at least raise you heads (and your self esteem), I can no longer be seen conversing with you. From now on Please post all your concerns and comments ( no matter how dumb) to the Moderator (may God have mercy on his soul to be condemned to read and respond to your crap).

Now....for higher more intelligent lifeforms.....the design of the structure is a tragedy of gigantic porpotions..However,the use of wood in the interior will more than make up for it.... Approve or disapprove? Apart from looking like the reassembled parts of a plane crash, I'm sure the enterior will make up for the exterior eye torture.

self-esteem? what do you mean? like you? LMAO!

Kerry: let me deliver it doctor, i know more than you.

Doctor: you're not even a doctor! No! You're gonna kill it! Don't twist it!

Wife: Kerry, LET THE DOCTOR DELIVER THE BABY!

by far you're the most moronic person in GamesBids history (yes, crazier than Maxiu). get a life, get out of that bubble or go to a sanitarium.

Stunning photos Mr.X

I know I will most definately enjoy taking in the view of Stanly Park and the North Shore that will be offered by those enormous windows... Although the glass appears to have a blue tint to it in some of the renderings... I wonder if this is done to simply achieve a 'glass' effect in the diagrams, or if it will indeed be coloured.

oh... and I found a picture that I found may be pertinent to this discussion...

troll.jpg

I know thats advice I think I'll follow from here on in...

It kind of looks like a giant Viceroy cottage. I am not sure if I like the new renderings-a product of group think? Although, I have faith it will look great once built.

• 4 weeks later...

Construction of Convention Centre expansion starts with a bang

Jan, 12 2005 - 5:50 AM

VANCOUVER/CKNW(AM980)--Construction work begins today on the Vancouver Convention Centre expansion project, and it'll be loud.

Pile driving begins with 1000 pilings to be pounded into place by December 2005.

To reduce the duration of the work, up to four pile drivers will be used at any given time. The work will be carried out only from 7:30am to 8pm on weekdays and 10am to 8pm on Saturdays.

The City must approve a noise variance if any of the work is carried out at other times.

A public information meeting on the pile driving and other construction activities is set for 7pm on January 25th at the Vancouver Convention and Exhibition Centre.

• 3 weeks later...

1218_vcc605_400.jpg

1220_vcc603_400.jpg

1220_vcc607_400.jpg

122804_vcc617_400.jpg

122804_vcc624_400.jpg

no link for article:

Plans for convention centre roof alive and growing

Landscapers testing plants for 260,000 sq. ft. garden on top of convention centre

Naoibh O'Connor

Vancouver Courier

Wednesday, December 29, 2004

More than three years before the expanded Vancouver Convention and Exhibition Centre is slated to open, plants are being tested for its six-acre "living roof."

Four test plots have been planted at a site surrounded by a chainlink fence on the north side of Commissioner Street immediately before the Port of Vancouver entrance gates.

The early start for the roof will offer the public an idea of what's being planned and will ensure plant selections and the design work as expected, said Bruce Hemstock of PWL Partnership Landscape Architects Inc., which is handling the project.

Hemstock said the living roof needs to be growing and viable long before the convention centre opens in 2008. That means planting must take place in the fall of 2006 to take advantage of the cooler weather and winter rains, with the roof complete by 2007.

"In order to do that, all the seeds and all the cuttings that we'll use to grow the over 800,000 plants for the roof need to be collected and put together," Hemstock said. "You can see we're right on schedule even though it's a long way off. There's a lot of work that needs to be done."

When completed, the roof will absorb and hold rain water that would otherwise flow into the city system or Coal Harbour. It will reduce the heat given off by the building, and the plants will draw in carbon monoxide, create oxygen and trap dust particles.

"From a social standpoint, it's a lot nicer to look at than a tar and gravel roof," added Hemstock.

The test plots include four different plant groupings and use the same growing medium and drainage that will cap the convention centre. "It's winter now so [the test plots] don't look like much, but in the spring they'll really start to grow, turn green and look great," Hemstock said.

A mix of each of the plots will probably be used to create the final planting scheme, which will produce one of the largest green roofs in North America. The largest, measuring 12 acres, is found in Dearborn, Mich., on the Ford Truck plant.

The Vancouver convention centre living roof takes the green roof idea one step further. The green roof at the Ford plant features only one type of plant--sedum, a succulent that is grown on a mat rolled out on the roof. It has few ecological benefits--it doesn't hold as much storm water or reduce the heat as much as the roof planned for Vancouver's convention centre.

The soil of a living roof has an organic makeup that includes all the fungus, micro-organisms, insects and earthworms found in good natural soil. Its plants will form a bona fide ecological environment.

"Something that is a living ecology as opposed to seeing, say, grass growing on your front lawn," Hemstock said.

Most green roofs in North America are a few hundred or few thousand square feet, compared to the convention centre's 260,000 square-foot plan.

Native plants, particularly found in grasslands around the Lower Mainland and on the Gulf Islands, were selected for the roof.

The locations feature very little soil and hot, dry summers, which mimic convention centre roof conditions.

Students from Hastings elementary school adopted a small portion of the test plot to learn about the living roof. "What we want to do is show younger school kids what a green living roof is all about so they understand and embrace it like recycling. These kids recycle like it's normal--they don't even have to think about it. We'd like them to get that feeling about green roofs because they're our future," Hemstock said.

The $565 million expansion of the Vancouver Convention and Exhibition Centre is expected to be completed by the summer of 2008. It will more than triple its current size.

this 3-D map which is 80 feet by 76 feet in size will be displayed at the new centre:

top6.jpg

webcam:

webcam_320x240.jpg

111904_vcc565_400.jpg

111904_vcc568_400.jpg

1201_vcc572_400.jpg

1208_vcc578_400.jpg

1208_vcc579_400.jpg

1208_vcc581_400.jpg

1217_vcc602_400.jpg

the picture shows real people on a moving platform over the giant map:

challenger%20map%202.jpg

Convention Centre touted as good home for big map

By Naoibh O'Connor-Staff writer

It's like a giant three-dimensional jigsaw puzzle of B.C.

An elaborate 80-by-76-foot wood relief map of the province has been sitting in pieces gathering dust for the past several years in a storage facility in Richmond.

Known as the Challenger map after its creator George Challenger, the piece used to be displayed in the B.C. Pavilion at the PNE in Hastings Park, but was removed when the pavilion was knocked down as part of the park's regreening process. The map was placed in storage after officials couldn't find an appropriate new home for it.

Now Alan Clapp, a local documentary filmmaker, is lobbying city and provincial politicians to house the model of the province in the expanded convention centre once it's constructed.

Clapp says the centre is the perfect site to showcase the 48-year-old map, which he envisions hanging vertically, rather than horizontally.

George Challenger created the map over a seven-year period from more than 989,000 three-dimensional pieces of quarter-inch fir plywood donated by MacMillan Bloedel. With help from his son Bill, he cut, painted and assembled the pieces individually on 200 four-by-eight panels of plywood.

The final product, which features all of B.C.'s mountains, lakes, rivers and valleys, was unveiled on the PNE grounds at the British Empire Games in 1954. After Challenger died in 1964, his ashes were placed underneath the map.

When Challenger's family learned of the plan to dismantle and store the map, they fought to keep it on display.

Eventually, however, a deal was reached and the city agreed to cover the costs of the move and $10,000 a year for storage until March 31, 2000. At that point, the map reverted back to the family's possession and is now under the control the Challenger Relief Map Foundation, directed by family members.

Challenger's grandson Bill Challenger said the Richmond storage facility housing the map hasn't been collecting the monthly fees, which now total about $30,000.

If the map is relocated, that amount would have to be paid.

Clapp has already discussed with Mayor Larry Campbell the idea of displaying the map in the convention centre. Clapp said the mayor was supportive and has written to Premier Gordon Campbell.

Clapp suspects cities and towns across the province would help finance the relocation, since the map would serve as a tool to promote tourism.

Bill Challenger agrees. "It's magnificent," he said. "It allows people in the Lower Mainland, particularly those who haven't travelled around, the chance to see the scope of the province. I personally think it could be a tremendous asset to tourism in the area."

Challenger said the family would be pleased to offer the map for display again with "no strings attached."

• 3 months later...

The original convention centre design was my favourite. The one feature I really loved about this design was that it had a amphitheatre, and this design also went well with Canada Place.....I don't get how the designers say that this design will steal away Canada Place's glory:

8266c4.jpg

8266c3.jpg

8266c2.jpg

8266c1.jpg

AND here are three more renderings of the new convention centre:

vcec_rendering10-lg.jpg

vcec_rendering14-lg.jpg

vcec_rendering12-lg.jpg