Dig! Convention Centre megaproject under way!

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh, and the Centre is still as sour as cow cud.,

Why the abuse Kerry… no I’m probably one of the last people on this forum to stick up for Vancouver (or Mr.X at that) but I must put my foot down here, like it or not.

Like X said. Why the abuse… Why criticize when you obviously know little of the project. Your even questioning peoples opinions and factual information… even those of people who actually live in Vancouver… what gives?

Aaron.......and you are speaking about what again?

If is has already passed......sorry.......but I rarely deal with yesterdays. Please Consult with Mr.X and Olympics.

And so today, I declare that Vancouver seems to be on tracK with everything that it should be at this stage, since winning the games. Except, of course,  for the "crumpled chocolate wrapper in the front yard" concept. Let's hope that this will be the only tragedy of the games.

Can anyone post any pics of the other concepts being developed for other structures to be built for Vancouver 2012?

Also, does anyone know anything about the internal features of the proposed Convention centre?

Aaron.......and you are speaking about what again?

If is has already passed......sorry.......but I rarely deal with yesterdays. Please Consult with Mr.X and Olympics.

And so today, I declare that Vancouver seems to be on tracK with everything that it should be at this stage, since winning the games. Except, of course,  for the "crumpled chocolate wrapper in the front yard" concept. Let's hope that this will be the only tragedy of the games.

Can anyone post any pics of the other concepts being developed for other structures to be built for Vancouver 2012?

Also, does anyone know anything about the internal features of the proposed Convention centre?

yawn... Kerry, please get your dates correct before consulting me... i believe Vancouver is hosting in 2010, rather then 2012.

Once again dont go opening your mouth shunting off a city when people who live their are giving you cold hard facts.

Please also note, by my time (Australian Western), this is not yesterdays news, rather yesterday for you.

Finally, please dont waste my time with this pethetic excuse..."yesterdays news"... o o o..  :oops:

Aaron, to have wasted time reinforcing the obvious reality that the city of Vancouver will be hosting the 2010 games is rather autistic of you. Try next time, to highlight a less evident error - or could it be that you're more autistic than meets the eye?

I heard something about the Convention Centre using a lot of exposed wood as part of its interior design (much like Central City)...

Some Pics of Central City (Highlighting the Wood Element)

2003.NL145.05.jpg

2003.NL145.21.jpg

2003.NL145.10.jpg

Before Kerry decides to go off on some sort of rant about how ugly western wood is and how an international city would used only Brazillian Mohogany, I feel it is important to add that Surrey's Centre City is amazing! The wood adds so much to the experience...

Oborro, sorry to say, the wood element is architecturally exquisite as depicted in your pics....well done.  The use of wood will not bother me.......what will is how the wood element will be used. Again those pics are beautiful and wood gives the structure an unimaginable warmth. That is an excellent idea.....a real redemption after the outside.

btw, it was snowing in the city for 3-4 hours today! unfortunately, the snow didn't stick and 2 hours of it was just wet snow....i'm sure the North Shore mountains got a ton of snow. yesterday, those mountains looked awesome - the top half of the mountains was blanketed with snow, you couldn't see any of the green part of the trees. just awesome. signs of a very cold and snowy winter. it snowed for five minutes about a week ago too. very unusual weather.

i would be perfect if it didn't snow in the city, but in the mountains. no rain, just sunshine in the city and hopefully in the mountains but the days just before the games start, hopefully there will be a ton of snow and a ton of snow in the North Shore mountains - it would be a great photo op.

Vancouver cannot handle any amount of snow. this region has hardly any snow removing equipment as we hardly ever get snow. it would be chaos, congestion, vehicle collissions, etc. in comparisson to the City of Toronto, they have 700+ snow plows. The City of Vancouver has about 30.

Let's hope that it'll be snowy in 2010 and not soaking wet for the opening ceremony. But how are Vancouverites responding to the reality that thier city will be the focus of the world in 2010?

Huh? Who cares if it’s wet for the Opening Ceremony? Have you seen the venue?

i wouldn't say it would be wet for certain for the opening ceremony. last year, we had a pretty good cold and sunny February, with less rain than usual. however, records do show that it is a rainy month.

Kerry - Vancouver hardly gets any snow. we get a lot of snow from time to time but this is no Edmonton.

BC Place is already white. how could snow make it look good? ???

Oborro that building "Central City" kinda reminds me of the new Canada Marine Discovery Centre at Hamilton expect it's not a skyscraper it's just a new museum. I took pictures of the place over this summer (4 days after opening day) and the building was inspired from the west coast with all the dark wood framing. The Canada Marine Discovery Centre is the only museum in Canada that showcases all of Canada's natural parks.

Notice the native art work on the front window? Very west coast

DCP_0530.jpg

At the back of the building it's all completely windows so you can see Hamilton Harbour. Look hard enough you'll see the Burlington Skyway Bridge

DCP_0563.jpg

DCP_0577.jpg

These kinds of architect must be all over Vancouver no?

So the roof will contain vegetation?

I dont understand, who is going to take care of all its gardening? They will have to be careful with a concept like that, beacuse in most casses if the vegetation gets 'out of hand' the building will look atrocious. Either way, I think it will gorgeous on Vancouvers waterfront.

So the roof will contain vegetation?

I dont understand, who is going to take care of all its gardening? They will have to be careful with a concept like that, beacuse in most casses if the vegetation gets 'out of hand' the building will look atrocious. Either way, I think it will gorgeous on Vancouvers waterfront.

yes, the roof will contain vegetation. hardly any care/gardenining on the roof would be needed from what i've heard.