Dig! Convention Centre megaproject under way!

Premier Gordon Campbell and other politicians brought out the heavy equipment to break ground on the expansion of the Vancouver convention centre today. four giant earth movers to officially start work on the $565-million project on the city's waterfront. when the project is finished in 2008, Vancouver's convention space will be more than triple its current capacity and will generate $229 million in delegate spending every year. the convention centre will also benefit the entire province because statistics show 60 per cent of all visitors to the centre go to other parts of B.C. The expanded facility will be used as the international broadcast and press centre for thousands of media during the 2010 Winter Olympics. The 100,000-square-metre centre, which will be linked to the existing convention centre at Canada Place, will feature a so-called "living roof" of native plants and greenery.

expansion_lg13.jpg

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I saw that on the news today. It was very exciting. The glass wall on the side facing the water will be amazing, I can't wait until it is done. I still don't know if I will like the grass roof though but we will see how it turns out.

Premier Gordon Campbell and other politicians brought out the heavy equipment to break ground on the expansion of the Vancouver convention centre today. four giant earth movers to officially start work on the $565-million project on the city's waterfront. when the project is finished in 2008, Vancouver's convention space will be more than triple its current capacity and will generate $229 million in delegate spending every year. the convention centre will also benefit the entire province because statistics show 60 per cent of all visitors to the centre go to other parts of B.C. The expanded facility will be used as the international broadcast and press centre for thousands of media during the 2010 Winter Olympics. The 100,000-square-metre centre, which will be linked to the existing convention centre at Canada Place, will feature a so-called "living roof" of native plants and greenery.

expansion_lg13.jpg

Very nice… though it looks awfully small to cost $560m…

The expanded facility will be used as the international broadcast and press centre for thousands of media during the 2010 Winter Olympics. The 100,000-square-metre centre, which will be linked to the existing convention centre at Canada Place, will feature a so-called "living roof" of native plants and greenery.

It will be a great location for the media and press during 2010, much better than the other locations previously discussed.  Centrally located and awesome with the shots behind the anchor's desks of the mountains in the distance, I would think.  "Living roof" we can accept, although it's not exactly a replacement for the actual thing.  Just to make sure I'm orienting myself, as I'm not from Vancouver proper, ... the new addition is to the north of the current convention and cruise ship terminal, am I correct about that?

The expanded facility will be used as the international broadcast and press centre for thousands of media during the 2010 Winter Olympics. The 100,000-square-metre centre, which will be linked to the existing convention centre at Canada Place, will feature a so-called "living roof" of native plants and greenery.

It will be a great location for the media and press during 2010, much better than the other locations previously discussed.  Centrally located and awesome with the shots behind the anchor's desks of the mountains in the distance, I would think.  "Living roof" we can accept, although it's not exactly a replacement for the actual thing.  Just to make sure I'm orienting myself, as I'm not from Vancouver proper, ... the new addition is to the north of the current convention and cruise ship terminal, am I correct about that?

The new convention centre is West of the Current Convention Centre.

well, you have to add in the huge plaza, waterfront parks, seawall, grass roof (which is what really makes the project cost a lot more), and that 40% of the building is being built on water (...even more). it's also not really that small, inside that building is 3 city blocks of floor space.

this new centre is gonna rock, like the media centre used for Sydney 2000. anybody remember the background of the CBC studio, with the Sydney Opera House? that was awesome. we could be seeing the sails of Canada Place and the mountains this time in Vancouver.

well, you have to add in the huge plaza, waterfront parks, seawall, grass roof (which is what really makes the project cost a lot more), and that 40% of the building is being built on water (...even more). it's also not really that small, inside that building is 3 city blocks of floor space.

this new centre is gonna rock, like the media centre used for Sydney 2000. anybody remember the background of the CBC studio, with the Sydney Opera House? that was awesome. we could be seeing the sails of Canada Place and the mountains this time in Vancouver.

I don’t think the main press centre was down in the Circular Quay, or Darling Harbour district around the Opera House, CBC may have decided to go there by their self.

So the land is reclaimed? What happens when the icecaps melt?

A grass roof should be interesting… god help the guy who designs the reticulation.

Despite all these features, it seems awfully expensive for 100,000sqr meter… must be snazzy on the inside.

You do know that most Broadcasting networks at the Olympics use their own made backgrounds while at the Olympics?  It could be different though with this if the windows are large enough but I seriously doubt every media outlet will have those views of Canada Place and the mountains behind them that you are describing.

I don’t think the main press centre was down in the Circular Quay, or Darling Harbour district around the Opera House, CBC may have decided to go there by their self.

A grass roof should be interesting… god help the guy who designs the reticulation.

Despite all these features, it seems awfully expensive for 100,000sqr meter… must be snazzy on the inside.

the green roof costs like crazy, as well as other green features. another reason, it's a 20-storey structure and 40% of it is on water. we're not filling in land, we're putting in pilings.

also, from what i've heard, the final visual design has not been made but what i've shown you is close to what it will actually look like. The provincial government is just gonna clear the land and put in the pilings and wait for city approval for the building.

Canada Place (sails) today is a hotel, convention centre, and cruise ship terminal. it was built for $400 million in the mid-80s for Expo and half of that building was on water. then three years ago, they expanded the building so now it costs $490M...that expansion was 100% water. i think it adds up and does justify the cost.

You do know that most Broadcasting networks at the Olympics use their own made backgrounds while at the Olympics?  It could be different though with this if the windows are large enough but I seriously doubt every media outlet will have those views of Canada Place and the mountains behind them that you are describing.

true, not even half of the broadcasters will have their own windows and don't forget that Canada Place (no windows) is also part of the convention centre. there's actually quite a bit of windows on the new complex:

expansion_lg14.jpg

expansion_lg15.jpg

the green roof costs like crazy, as well as other green features. another reason, it's a 20-storey structure and 40% of it is on water. we're not filling in land, we're putting in pilings.

also, from what i've heard, the final visual design has not been made but what i've shown you is close to what it will actually look like. The provincial government is just gonna clear the land and put in the pilings and wait for city approval for the building.

Canada Place (sails) today is a hotel, convention centre, and cruise ship terminal. it was built for $400 million in the mid-80s for Expo and half of that building was on water. then three years ago, they expanded the building so now it costs $490M...that expansion was 100% water. i think it adds up and does justify the cost.

true, not even half of the broadcasters will have their own windows and don't forget that Canada Place (no windows) is also part of the convention centre. there's actually quite a bit of windows on the new complex:

expansion_lg14.jpg

expansion_lg15.jpg

Um..20 stories… where? If those modal people are to scale you have no idea how tall 20stories are…

Building it on pilings probably isn’t the best option.. just look at Venice…. Though reclaiming land from the harbour would be a lot more pricy.

You're probably right about the windows in the broadcast center and the rainy weather in February, but for all the money the Canadian and US broadcasters are paying, you'd think they'd at least get a window, if they wanted it.  But alas, perhaps that unchanging background vista will have to do.

Um..20 stories… where? If those modal people are to scale you have no idea how tall 20stories are…

Building it on pilings probably isn’t the best option.. just look at Venice…. Though reclaiming land from the harbour would be a lot more pricy.

those model people if you put them on Canada Place, would certainly not be to scale. also, i got the 20-storey figure from our local tv news and you have to include the building being built from water (not just from where the glass ends on the ground floor).

pilings have done well in Vancouver. the expansion of Canada Place and most of the 1986 portion of the facility was built on pilings. about a thousand soil samplings were done that show there is no problem. it's also the same stuff with what Canada Place is built on.

I think what they meant by enough glass for a twenty story building because it could cover a twenty story building. If it's going to be twenty stories tall it will be almost the height of the Pan Pacific (the building at the base of Canada Place).

I hope the grass roof doesn't happen, it just seems to prone to problems to me.

I think what they meant by enough glass for a twenty story building because it could cover a twenty story building. If it's going to be twenty stories tall it will be almost the height of the Pan Pacific (the building at the base of Canada Place).

I hope the grass roof doesn't happen, it just seems to prone to problems to me.

Certainly sounds more realistic Vancouver rocks… Erosion of the pilings could cause issues…

Despite that, everything else looks pretty neat… Yes the grass roof could cause a number of problems, but this will certainly rank with other Olympic Media Centres…

I don't think the pilings will be a problem because first of all there will be many, and it is a tried tested and true (yes from the car commercial) way of building builings on water. Canada Place is that way and the 20 some floor Pan Pacific in partly on water aswell as numerous docks.

• 3 weeks later...
Ick! This building really isn't distinctive at all! And to have such a commanding place on the waterfront in such a beautiful city is an insult! And the Cost!!!!!!!!!! Are you sure it costs that much?

they don't want it to be too distinctive so it won't grab all the glory from the sails of Canada Place. and yes, $565 million is the cost and i personally think it's worth it. it's a good landmark design.

Mr.X, do you even know what good architecture is? Quite frankly, I'm disappointed! I thought they would have wanted to go one up on Canada Place - I mean - that's what modern architecture is all about. The design should be revisited - the shape of the structure is just too ugly!

many Vancouverites are saying this is a good design and that it is proper for the location. i think you're really overexagerating. i think so too. i like this design but i do prefer the original design that has swirvy white roofs that match that of Canada Place and it looks a little bit like the Hong Kong Convention Center. here's a really small rendering of it:

4867.jpg

i don't know about you but this is awesome too:

cur3b.jpg

Mr.X, there is nothing you can show me that will change my opinion about this architectural tragedy. It looks like a football field with a really bad attitude! And pray tell, will this facility be used in 2010 and if so....will there be grass on the roof for lets say- skiing perhaps? In the end, I hereby declare this abysmal design an epic tragedy in the entire  history ofarchitecture! I suppose that itself will make Vancouver internationally famous for all the wrong reasons.

NOW you are overexagerating. Sure it's bad but it's not THAT bad. Keep in mind that most of those renderings are from in the air and not on the ground where the people will be who will see it. It will be the IBC for the Olympics.