2006-2007 Isu Figure Skating Season

His father is from Tanzania, who studied medicine in Greifswald...

So neither he nor his partner Aliona are ethnic Germans? If they proceed to win the Worlds title in Tokyo, that would then make him (after Tai Babilonia in 1979), the first male skater of African descent to climb the top podium in PAIRS figure skating.

Whatever happened to the controversy about their coach, the one-time German champ? I forget his name.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply
So neither he nor his partner Aliona are ethnic Germans? If they proceed to win the Worlds title in Tokyo, that would then make him (after Tai Babilonia in 1979), the first male skater of African descent to climb the top podium in PAIRS figure skating.

Whatever happened to the controversy about their coach, the one-time German champ? I forget his name.

His mother is from Greifswald - he had the German nationality since is birth - Aliona is from the Ukraine and got the german nationality in 2006...

Ingo Steuer won Bronze in Nagano together Mandy W├Âtzel (maybe you remember that famous accident in Lillehammer, where she hit the ice with her chin). Ingo Steuer is blamed that he worked for the STASI and the German Figure Skating Union or National Olympic Committee denies to send him officially as coach to championships - he says that he had to join the STASI with 18 years otherwise he wouldn't had been able to figure skate in the GDR...

Plushenko and the Swiss guy didn't compete this year?

Stephane Lambiel (SUI) wanted to make a rest (motivation problems) and didn't start at the European Championships

Plushenko (RUS) finished his carreer... - by the way Russia didn't reach the first three therefore next year two russian skaters are allowed to start at the European championships...

Stephane Lambiel (SUI) wanted to make a rest (motivation problems) and didn't start at the European Championships

Plushenko (RUS) finished his carreer... - by the way Russia didn't reach the first three therefore next year two russian skaters are allowed to start at the European championships...

I thought Lambiel was good. Thank God, Plushenko's gone. I couldn't stand the guy's proficiency. He was all skill but NO soul; like cut glass. Never thought I'd see him leave.

Yeah. It makes you wonder where the Russians are this time around. Didn't they usually "destroy the competition" at these European championships before?

Yeah. It makes you wonder where the Russians are this time around. Didn't they usually "destroy the competition" at these European championships before?

The two Russian skater, who should skated for the medals, were terrible - the third Russian skater, who came last into the team, became fourth - he is very young and has not charisma, but he jumped great!!!

I see. However, do not assume that their overall performance in Warsaw is going to be a repeat one in Tokyo. As far as things go, the Russian team could be just resting for the big event and not really taking the Europeans seriously.

I see. However, do not assume that their overall performance in Warsaw is going to be a repeat one in Tokyo. As far as things go, the Russian team could be just resting for the big event and not really taking the Europeans seriously.

No. I don't think so. The Russians do their darndest at every competition. But everything is cyclical. Plus the fact almost all the best Russian coaches live and work in the US now.

Okay and call me stupid, but if the Russians don't receive the gold medal in the ladies' competition, then this year could be one of the "few years" that a Russian didn't get at least one in the Europeans.

The official website for the 2007 European Figure Skating Championships is now on-line.

Link: Official 2007 European Figure Skating Championships Website

Wow. 1908 was the last time that Warsaw hosted this event. Even more so, according to its front page, that championships was held "in a country under occupation." Forgive my lack of historical knowledge here, but was Poland under the Austro-Hungarian empire then?

I will put the results that CAF put in his recent posts in one post here.

Men:

1. Brian Joubert (France)

2. Tomas Verner (Czech Republic)

3. Kevin Van der Perren (Belgium)

Ladies:

1. Carolina Kostner (Italy)

2. Sarah Meier (Switzerland)

3. Kiira Korpi (Finland)

*By the way, wasn't Kostner the flagbearer for the Italian team at the 2006 Winter Olympics opening ceremony?

Pairs:

1. Aliona Savchenko/Robin Szolkowy (Germany)

2. Maria Petrova/Alexei Tikhonov (Russia)

3. Dorota & Mariusz SIUDEK (POLAND)

Ice Dance:

1. Isabelle Delobel/Olivier Schoenfelder (France)

2. Oksana Domnina/Maxim Shabalin (Russia)

3. Albena Denkova/Maxim Staviski (Bulgaria)

Next stop on the international scene, it is the Europeans counterpart: the FOUR CONTINENTS FIGURE SKATING CHAMPIONSHIPS. Just like last year, this year's competition will be held in Colorado Springs, Colorado, USA. It will take place from February 5 - 11.

Link: Participant List For The Colorado Springs Event

Note: As of this moment, only the American team has not been selected yet to participate in this event, due to the fact that the US Figure Skating Championships going on in Spokane, Washington State, is just about to conclude today. However, the US figure skating team list is almost complete, judging by this link.

Link: US Figure Skating International Team Selections

Ladies:

1. Carolina Kostner (Italy)

2. Sarah Meier (Switzerland)

3. Kiira Korpi (Finland)

*By the way, wasn't Kostner the flagbearer for the Italian team at the 2006 Winter Olympics opening ceremony?

ya. CArolina (not Katerina)

Unless the Chinese and the Russians slip up, then they might. Right now, I think the top 2 Chinese couples are the strongest in pairs.

I second that. It is really a Chinese/Russian showdown in the pairs event for now. However, with the present scoring system, anything could happen. And, since this is the beginning of the 4-year cycle toward Vancouver 2010, this may be a chance for the whole German team to start its momentum toward those upcoming Games, too.

The US Figure Skating Championships just ended in Spokane, Washington and the team has been named. Here they are:

Mens

Evan Lysacek

Ryan Bradley

Johnny Weir

Womens

Kimmie Meissner

Emily Hughes

Alissa Czisny

Pairs

Brooke Castile and Ben Okolski

Rena Inoue and John Baldwin

Ice Dance

Tanith Belbin and Ben Agosto

Melissa Gregory and Denis Petukhov

Meryl Davis and Charlie White

Olympian, is that US team for the Four Continents and the World Figure Skating Championships?

Olympian, now that you have given the list for the American WORLD team, here is the American team for the Four Continents event.

Men:

1. Jeremy Abbott

2. Ryan Bradley

3. Evan Lysacek

4. Derrick Delmore (substitute)

5. Scott Smith (substitute)

Ladies:

1. Alissa Czisny

2. Emily Hughes

3. Kimmie Meissner

4. Juliana Cannarozzo (substitute)

5. Danielle Kahle (substitute)

6. Beatrisa Liang (substitute)

7. Katy Taylor (substitute)

Pairs:

1. Brooke Castile/Benjamin Okolski

2. Rena Inoue/John Baldwin

3. Naomi Nari Lam/Themistocles Leftheris

4. Amanda Evora/Mark Ladwig (substitute)

5. Kendra Moyle/Andy Seitz (substitute)

6. Tiffany Vise/Derek Trent (substitute)

Ice Dance:

1. Tanith Belbin/Benjamin Agosto

2. Meryl Davis/Charlie White

3. Kimberly Navarro/Brent Bommentre

4. Morgan Matthews/Maxim Zovozin (substitute)

5. Jennifer Wester/Daniil Barantsev (substitute)

Wow. Talk about a lot of substitute American entries for this event.

Next stop on the international scene, it is the Europeans counterpart: the FOUR CONTINENTS FIGURE SKATING CHAMPIONSHIPS. Just like last year, this year's competition will be held in Colorado Springs, Colorado, USA. It will take place from February 5 - 11.

Link: Participant List For The Colorado Springs Event

Well, well, well. Last time, when Colorado Springs hosted this championships last year, it didn't have an official website to it. Now, this time, they made one.

Link: Official Website Of The Four Continents Figure Skating Championships In Colorado Springs, Colorado, USA

Archived