3. Emanuel Sandhu (Canada)

Ladies:

1. Julia Sebestyen (Hungary)

2. Yukari Nakano (Japan)

3. Emily Hughes (USA)

Pairs:

1. Xue SHEN/Hangbo ZHAO (CHINA)

2. Qing PANG/Jian TONG (CHINA)

3. Aliona Savchenko/Robin Szolkowy (Germany)

Ice Dance:

1. Oksana Domnina/Maxim Shabalin (Russia)

2. Tanith Belbin/Benjamin Agosto (USA)

3. Jana Khokhlova/Sergei Novitski (Russia)

Next stop on the Grand Prix circuit: the Trophee Eric Bompard event @ Paris, France.

Link: Participant List For The Paris Event

look at wha i found. an announcement re: the ISU Grand Prix for the 2005-2006 season detailing eligibility of the skaters.

My Webpage

here's the 2006-07 announcement.

http://www.isu.org/vsite/vfile/page/fileur...3-0-file,00.pdf

OK, as a skater, you are "INVITED by Draw" -- "Draw" being the key word. But it's still odd though in 2 respects.

1. If you see the list of participants, the list is slanted towards those of the host country. How can that be a draw?

Then (2) you can't select which events you want to participate in. But look at US pair Inoue & Baldwin -- they participated in the first 2 consecutive Grand prix events -- in Hartford; then in Victoria, Canada. Just, what a few days or a week apart. Now, they are again participating in the Trophee Lalique contest, even though they have already qualified for the Finals. The stupid seeding and "invitations" SIMPLY does NOT make sense!!

Again, it'll probably take another major scandal for the ISU -- like all these stupid int'l sporting federations - to amend their rules. To me, the system doesn't take the skaters' best interests to heart.

Skate Canada is a non-scoring event for Baldwin and Inoue. Only pairs are allowed to have a non-scoring events. Its clearly stated there.

the best thing is for figure skaters to be governed by fellow figure skaters. to bad the world skating federation failed to materialized. WSF was established after Skategate.

Skate Canada is a non-scoring event for Baldwin and Inoue. Only pairs are allowed to have a non-scoring events. Its clearly stated there.

the best thing is for figure skaters to be governed by fellow figure skaters. to bad the world skating federation failed to materialized. WSF was established after Skategate.

Do you know why this so-called WSF never got off the ground? This is from memory from a documentary I saw about what Sale/Pelletier went through right after their attempt at gold at SLC 2002. If I'm correct, those who wanted a rival federation got the boot from the ISU while those who instigated the whole "Skategate saga" got scot-free and are even allowed to return to figure skating judging duties for the ISU. Remember the French woman judge from then? She is rumored to be back in that job full time now. And, since the new scoring system cannot reveal who the judges are, I'm sure that the perpetrators of the Sale/Pelletier debacle are all pretty much back while the others who whistleblew the scandal are given "don't come back" notices. If my memory also serves, there could be corruption in the highest levels of the ISU right now.

From what I can recall, I think the ISU used some form of black mail to members telling them they would be stripped and banned from the ISU. I know for a fact that Ron Pfenning the American referee who blew the lid off Skategate was banned and a British judge was also banned. The French judge who wrecked figure skating is said to be back.

Final results of the Paris Grand Prix event:

Men:

1. Brian Joubert (FRANCE)

2. Alban Preaubert (FRANCE)

3. Sergei Dobrin (Russia)

Ladies:

1. Yu-Na Kim (South Korea)

2. Miki Ando (Japan)

3. Kimmie Meissner (USA)

Pairs:

1. Maria Petrova/Alexei Tikhonov (Russia)

2. Rena Inoue/John Baldwin (USA)

3. Julia Obertas/Sergei Slavnov (Russia)

Ice Dance:

1. Albena Denkova/Maxim Staviski (Bulgaria)

2. Isabelle Delobel/Olivier Schoenfelder (FRANCE)

3. Federica Faiella/Massimo Scali (Italy)

Next stop: the Cup of Russia Bosco Sport @ Moscow.

Links:

1. Official Website Of The Russian Grand Prix Event

2. Participant List For The Moscow Event

See, I don't understand this "invitation by draw" business in the Manual for the Grand Prix. So, the ISU invites 'skaters' to a particular event. But by DRAW? Look at all the categories here.... there are a full 3 Russian competitors in each category -- whereas in Canada, there wasn't a single Russian pair.

So participation in the Grand Prix series is fixed by hosting country; and then I guess the remaining slots are then drawn from a pool? It's hard to make sense of it.

Final results of the Moscow Grand Prix event:

Men:

1. Brian Joubert (France)

2. Johnny Weir (USA)

3. Ilia Klimkin (RUSSIA)

Ladies:

1. Sarah Meier (Switzerland)

2. Julia Sebestyen (Hungary)

3. Yoshie Onda (Japan)

Pairs:

1. Aliona Savchenko/Robin Szolkowy (Germany)

2. Maria Petrova/Alexei Tikhonov (RUSSIA)

3. Yuko Kawaguchi/Alexander Smirnov (RUSSIA)

Ice Dance:

1. Tanith Belbin/Benjamin Agosto (USA)

2. Oksana Domnina/Maxim Shabalin (RUSSIA)

3. Isabelle Delobel/Olivier Schoenfelder (France)

Next stop: the NHK Trophy Grand Prix event @ Nagano (1998 OWG host city)

Links:

1. Web Page About The 2006 NHK Trophy Grand Prix Event

2. Participant List Of The Nagano Event

Final results of the last Grand Prix event, before the Final, of the season:

Men:

1. Daisuke Takahashi (JAPAN)

2. Nobunari Oda (JAPAN)

3. Takahiko Kozuka (JAPAN)

Ladies:

1. Mao Asada (JAPAN)

2. Fumie Suguri (JAPAN)

3. Yukari Nakano (JAPAN)

Pairs:

1. Xue SHEN/Hongbo ZHAO (China)

2. Dan & Hao ZHANG (China)

3. Valerie Marcoux/Craig Buntin (Canada)

Ice Dance:

1. Marie-France Dubreuil/Patrice Lauzon (Canada)

2. Jana Khokhlova/Sergei Novitski (Russia)

3. Melissa Gregory/Denis Petukhov (USA)

Wow. Talk about a "Japanese takeover" in the men's and women's events here. :o

Anyway, the real next event is actually the JUNIOR Grand Prix Final @ Sofia, Bulgaria. It will take place from December 7-9. For the senior figure skaters, the GRAND PRIX FINAL will take place @ St. Petersburg, Russia, on December 14-17.

Links:

1. Participant List For The JUNIOR Grand Prix Final At Sofia, Bulgaria

2. Participant List Of The Grand Prix Final At St. Petersburg, Russia

(Note: changes and more information could be added here later.)

Final results here:

Men:

1. Stephen Carriere (USA)

2. Brandon Mroz (USA)

3. Kevin Reynolds (Canada)

Ladies:

1. Caroline Zhang (USA)

2. Ashley Wagner (USA)

3. Megan Oster (USA)

Pairs:

1. Keauna McLaughlin/Rockne Brubaker (USA)

2. Ksenia Krasilnikova/Konstantin Bezmaternikh (Russia)

3. Jessica Rose Paetsch/Jon Nuss (USA)

Ice Dance:

1. Madison & Keiffer HUBBELL (USA)

2. Emily Samuelson/Evan Bates (USA)

3. Ekaterina Bobrova/Dmitri Soloviev (Russia)

Geez, talk about an almost American sweep of all the medals here.

As for the real final figure skating event of the Grand Prix season and before the various international figure skating championships start, here is the list of competitors that has qualified to compete at St. Petersburg, Russia, for the Grand Prix FINAL crown:

Men:

- Brian Joubert (France)

- Alban Preaubert (France)

- Nobunari Oda (Japan)

- Daisuke Takahashi (Japan)

- Evan Lysacek (USA)

- Johnny Weir (USA)

Ladies:

- Julia Sebestyen (Hungary)

- Miki Ando (Japan)

- Mao Asada (Japan)

- Fumie Suguri (Japan)

- Yu-Na Kim (South Korea)

- Sarah Meier (Switzerland)

Pairs:

- Valerie Marcoux/Craig Buntin (Canada)

- Xue SHEN/Hongbo ZHAO (China)

- Dan & Hao ZHANG (China)

- Aliona Savchenko/Robin Szolkowy (Germany)

- Maria Petrova/Alexei Tikhonov (Russia)

- Rena Inoue/John Baldwin (USA)

Ice Dance:

- Albena Denkova/Maxim Staviski (Bulgaria)

- Marie-France Dubreuil/Patrice Lauzon (Canada)

- Isabelle Delobel/Olivier Schoenfelder (France)

- Oksana Domnina/Maxim Shabalin (Russia)

- Tanith Belbin/Benjamin Agosto (USA)

- Melissa Gregory/Denis Petukhov (USA)

Well, until the list is final, this one is unofficial because the same list has no alternate teams, should any of these ones named here cannot compete in the Grand Prix Final.

Looks like the list I made in my previous post will stand as the official list of participant teams for the 2006 Grand Prix Final. Here's the link for the official website of this event:

Link: Official Website Of The 2006 Grand Prix Final In St. Petersburg, Russia

Latest news from the Grand Prix final:

Link: CBC: Dubreuil, Lauzon On Top At Grand Prix Final

I've always liked Dubreuil and Lauzon ever since I saw them do their LES MIZ number. But, of course, Miss France, Cordelia, thought they were mediocre. And look at where they are now.

Tanith Belbin and Ben Agosto withdrew due to a back injury of Ben. Hopefully, they'll be back for Worlds.

Final results of the St. Petersburg Grand Prix Final:

Men:

1. Brian Joubert (France)

2. Daisuke Takahashi (Japan)

3. Nobunari Oda (Japan)

Ladies:

1. Yu-Na Kim (South Korea)

2. Mao Asada (Japan)

3. Sarah Meier (Switzerland)

Pairs:

1. Xue SHEN/Hongbo ZHAO (China)

2. Aliona Savchenko/Robin Szolkowy (Germany)

3. Dan & Hao ZHANG (China)

Ice Dance:

1. Albena Denkova/Maxim Staviski (Bulgaria)

2. Marie-France Dubreuil/Patrice Lauzon (Canada)

3. Oksana Domnina/Maxim Shabalin (RUSSIA)

Well, now that the Grand Prix season is over, let the international championships begin. The first one to be held, in the new year, is the EUROPEAN FIGURE SKATING CHAMPIONSHIPS at WARSAW, POLAND, from January 22 - 28, 2007. As of right now, there is no official website to the event and this link has no information on who will compete there for their qualifications to Tokyo.

Link: Participant List Of The 2007 European Figure Skating Championships

What an up-and-down year for the Canadian ice dance pair of Dubreuil and Lauzon. It is pretty much assured that they will be in Tokyo for the 2007 World Championships, but this article talks about the ups and downs for Canadian figure skating in 2006:

Link: CBC: Winning World Silver After Olympic Fall Was Triumph For Dubreuil And Lauzon

• 3 weeks later...
Well, now that the Grand Prix season is over, let the international championships begin. The first one to be held, in the new year, is the EUROPEAN FIGURE SKATING CHAMPIONSHIPS at WARSAW, POLAND, from January 22 - 28, 2007. As of right now, there is no official website to the event and this link has no information on who will compete there for their qualifications to Tokyo.

The official website for the 2007 European Figure Skating Championships is now on-line.

Link: Official 2007 European Figure Skating Championships Website

Wow. 1908 was the last time that Warsaw hosted this event. Even more so, according to its front page, that championships was held "in a country under occupation." Forgive my lack of historical knowledge here, but was Poland under the Austro-Hungarian empire then?

The participant list is now filled with possible teams in all the categories. Good luck to all of them on their possible tickets to Tokyo.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived