Brazil Olympic Committee Picks Rio For 2016

Stu

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guy, I didn't understand you. Are you talking about me or the American one ?

well obviously I was referring to Brazil...considering the USA would neever be in such an embarassing situation where anyone would ever even think about taking such an event away from them, not to mention they have a VERY successful track record in hosting the Olympics, World Cup, etc....something Brazil has not, and most likely will not achieve any time soon

well obviously I was referring to Brazil...considering the USA would neever be in such an embarassing situation where anyone would ever even think about taking such an event away from them, not to mention they have a VERY successful track record in hosting the Olympics, World Cup, etc....something Brazil has not, and most likely will not achieve any time soon

The last big event US organized was in 9/11

The last big event US organized was in 9/11 5 years ago

The last big event US organized was in 9/11

The last big event US organized was in 9/11 5 years ago

you didn't just say that.....great another sick and twisted fool on here...nation's with people like you in it don't even deserve to host such events.....get help...and congratulations on just alienating yourself here on GB....and the fact still remains Brazil will most likely be stripped of 2014 and no way in hell will get 2016....now go away troll

p.s. you forgot SLC which showed the USA's wonderful spirit to the entire world, and foreshadows the MANY events that are ot come here....and not Brazil which is extremely unqualified.....and again go away troll

Uhmmm, the Brazilian president says that his country "will need 12 new stadia to host 2014."

Brazil has to double up to possibly host 2014

Which also means they probably won't make the 2016 shortlist.

Of course, our newest Brazilian nut will probably say I've made this up. :rolleyes:

But hey, Canada, get ready; Xikaum has appointed you as the standby host for 2014!! You gotta get those 10 new stadia ready!!

Xikaum,

It was a really dumb comment to make. If you have arguments, please make it here. If not, do not mix political/religious comments with Olympic bids.

SOW might be a little biased on his argument, but that view is what most of IOC members have about Brazil. This is why I am so angry about those guys at CO-Rio: they had a huge opportunity to change that view, but they are litteraly throwing away in the garbage for monetary/political/real estate reasons.

Still, it was no reason to offend anyone. Chill out and come back later to discuss.

byt my views aren't biased about Brazil and their capabilities of hosting at THIS time....I mean just look at the HUGE concerns brought up about the World Cup yesterday...but I am in no way attacking you or anything and I know you and the other Brazilian supporters are NOT like that lunatic Xialum or whatever his name is...what a psychotic fool

byt my views aren't biased about Brazil and their capabilities of hosting at THIS time....I mean just look at the HUGE concerns brought up about the World Cup yesterday...but I am in no way attacking you or anything and I know you and the other Brazilian supporters are NOT like that lunatic Xialum or whatever his name is...what a psychotic fool

Not taken. Please notice that we are in a presidential race, and those comments have to be intepreted as a way to get more votes to our actual president, who sometimes behaves like he is in a soccer stadium. Once again (like in the past 4 years), he really does not have a clue how those comments are interpreted outside the country.

I do agree that we need better stadiums, but I can say that we have more than 12 stadiums that can be, with proper planning, reformed for WC, which does not need the same infrastructure level of the OG. We have one, in Curitiba, which is a high level stadium (Atletico PR - Arena da Baixada) and, for good or bad, there will be the Engenhao here at Rio next year. There are some private projects of improving Beira Rio, in Porto Alegre and a new stadium for Figueirense in Florianopolis for 2010. And we haven´t clinched the WC yet.

Unfortunately, with our record, it is easier to think we won´t be able to host the WC, but I am still confident that a national event like the WC is more likely to succeed than an Olympic bid, just as it is more likely that our teams perform better than our individual athletes.

Unfortunately, with our record, it is easier to think we won´t be able to host the WC, but I am still confident that a national event like the WC is more likely to succeed than an Olympic bid, just as it is more likely that our teams perform better than our individual athletes.

I know. Your Beach Volleyball teams should take a rest. We need to alternate between the American and Brazilian players.

To Americans:

I'm sorry for touching in your hurt. But if I said the last big event US organized was Iraq war. Nobody would feel as sad for the children dying there as 9/11. I said it just in order to you look inside and think US is not that Paradise you try to create all the times. And sometimes saying prejudice things like this: "well obviously I was referring to Brazil...considering the USA would neever be in such an embarassing situation" after I said US World Cup was very well organized. So if you still want to believe you're the best and if you don't like to read the true. Think twice before saying that.

And my really sorry for the people here who just wants to talk about Olympic Bids. Disturbing the chat was not my intention.

I know this not the subject. So .. I don't want to argue here more about it.

Sorry and let's come back to the subject.

To Americans:

I'm sorry for touching in your hurt. But if I said the last big event US organized was Iraq war. Nobody would feel as sad for the children dying there as 9/11. I said it just in order to you look inside and think US is not that Paradise you try to create all the times. And sometimes saying prejudice things like this: "well obviously I was referring to Brazil...considering the USA would neever be in such an embarassing situation" after I said US World Cup was very well organized. So if you still want to believe you're the best and if you don't like to read the true. Think twice before saying that.

And my really sorry for the people here who just wants to talk about Olympic Bids. Disturbing the chat was not my intention.

but the USA has/had NOTHING to do with Brazil or any remarks made about it....your anti-american, twisted, and insensitive remarks were ENTIRELY uncalled for and HAD AND STILL HAVE NOTHING TO DO with ANYTHING (even after your little explanation...god only knows what you are trying to imply), and will not be easily forgotten.....you have lost your credibility and showed your true colors.....

and whatever pathetic crap you say, Brazil isn't looking to good for 2014, and no 2014 means abolsutely no 2016...but that is pay back enough for your remarks

but the USA has/had NOTHING to do with Brazil or any remarks made about it....your anti-american, twisted, and insensitive remarks were ENTIRELY uncalled for and HAD AND STILL HAVE NOTHING TO DO with ANYTHING (even after your little explanation...god only knows what you are trying to imply), and will not be easily forgotten.....you have lost your credibility and showed your true colors.....

and whatever pathetic crap you say, Brazil isn't looking to good for 2014, and no 2014 means abolsutely no 2016...but that is pay back enough for your remarks

1st - guy, if you're dumb and didn't understand it's not my business.

2nd - Have I lost my credibility? i just said the hard truth.

3rd - You said some posts before that "...nation's with people like you(me) in it don't even deserve to host such events". What about the killer Sr Bush in yours. Now I say: "nation's with people like him in it don't even deserve to host such events" And the worst: He was ellected as President by you.

4th - whatever you say from now on attacking me it won't be answered. I promise myself.

1st - guy, if you're dumb and didn't understand it's not my business.

2nd - Have I lost my credibility? i just said the hard truth.

3rd - You said some posts before that "...nation's with people like you(me) in it don't even deserve to host such events". What about the killer Sr Bush in yours. Now I say: "nation's with people like him in it don't even deserve to host such events" And the worst: He was ellected as President by you.

4th - whatever you say from now on attacking me it won't be answered. I promise myself.

I said that AFTER you made your innappropriate and random remarks...your randomly made that remark because you got pissed about people saying a FACT that Brazil isn't looking good for 2016 and 2014....jeesh do you have a memory problem or something?....and what truth, you didn't say anything true anywhere in any of your posts.....

and yes,you have lost your credibility...now go away you foolish ignorant antiamerican racist troll

and you can kiss 2014 and 2016 goodbye after ecent developments....as I said, for me that's enough

To Americans:

OK, apology accepted, xikaum. (ANd I understand what you mean by 9/11 was the last big thing the US organized. I think you meant the reaction AND quick mobilization of our military response was what you meant.) But thank you for your sincere apology anyway.

#1 - No, the US is not the Paradise or Perfect Society that people think it is; and we don't claim it to be. It has a very good functioning, capitalistic economy -- but we are far from perfect. Unlike Brazil which I admire for being, I think a more naturally cohesive multi-racial scociety (meaning, you mix races so easily, there isn't a lot of forced legistlation to achieve that effect) and the Brazilians' natural joie de vivre, you have a lot going for you.

#2 - Insofar as Big Game/Event hosting experience, you know, if we don't want it -- we don't go for it. I mean like I thought San Antonio was interested in PanAm 2011, and after bidding the last 2x, it certainly would've been theirs. But something happened that made San Antonio not bid -- and San Antonio's loss was Guadalajara's gain.

#3 - For 2014, all we, I am saying is that we're hearing, not only from FIFA, but even from your own President and Pele himself, that Brazil may not be able to fulfill the requirements of the World Cup in time, but we are ready because we already all have the stadia; SoccerUSA has already been in unpublicized talks with FIFA (so as not to embarrass South Africa and Brazil); and it's just a matter of FIFA saying "GO", as it did in late 2002 when the USA put on the FIFA Women's World Cup at the last minute after it was pulled out from China. So, you see, together with having been a standy host to for 2004 (when the IOC felt that Athens could not be ready), the US has the experience AND (most; well, LA probably has a complete set of Olympic facilities ready to be used -- but that's another story yet) the infrastructure to host a World Cup and/or an Olympics given 1 year's notice. That's all we're saying.

And this is NOT to put down another great nation like Brazil. You probably have other priorities, but you (Brazil) must step up to the plate to show FIFA or the IOC that you can meet all their deadlines.

I CAN SEE PREJUDICE IN THIS WORDS FROM THE EUROPEANS AND AMERICAN

I SAY: YOU MUST TO KNOW ABOUT US

BRASIL IS NOT THE FOOTBALL AND SAMBA PARADISE

WE ARE A IMPORTANT COUNTRY IN THE WORLD

THROUGH THE PROBLEMS

SÃO PAULO - Em entrevista ao Jornal da Tarde, publicada neste sábado, Pelé confirmou que aceita o convite da CBF para chefiar o comitê de organização da Copa do Mundo de 2014, no Brasil. O convite foi feito na última quarta-feira, pelo presidente da CBF, Ricardo Teixeira, num encontro na sede da entidade no Rio de Janeiro.

Desafetos no passado, Pelé e Ricardo Teixeira parecem definitivamente unidos em prol da possibilidade do Brasil sediar um Mundial. A CBF deve apresentar sua candidatura assim que a Fifa abrir as inscrições, o que deve ocorrer até o fim deste ano ou começo de 2007.

Dentre as principais idéias do 'Rei do Futebol', estão as reformas de pelo menos quatro estádios como o Maracanã, Mineirão, Morumbi e o Estádio Rei Pelé, em Brasília e outros seriam construídos.

A small translation:

Pelé(ex brazilian soccer player) had accepted the invitation to command the organization commitee to host 2014 Brazil World Cup.

CFB wil show its candidacy just after FIFA authorizes. It'll be by the end of this year or the begginig of 2007.

Pele wants to remodel 4 stadiums and build some others.

Maybe Brasil is more interested in WC than Olympic Games!!

just a question for the GB people:

why the news about the badminton´s world cup in Madrid from Reuters was a big headline for you and the critics of the FIBA´s Secretary to the organization of the Basketball World Cup Brazil 2006 no???

Brazil proves title letdown

From James Dampney in Sao Paulo, Brazil

September 19, 2006 FIBA, basketball's governing body, admits organisers of the 2006 women's world championships have not lived up to the standards expected when the South American nation was awarded the tournament.

In 2002, the FIBA board granted Brazil the tournament for the fourth time after being assured of its ability to stage a successful championships.

But there have been a variety of concerns for FIBA so far in the event, principally involving marketing and promotion.

A key component of the Brazil bid was a promise that Sao Paulo, the world's third-largest city with a strong basketball fanbase, would present packed houses at all games.

That has proven way off the mark, with the Ibirapuera Arena at around 75 percent capacity for games involving the host nation, but barely 10 percent full for all other match-ups.

Over the first four days approximately 25,000 spectators attended games, compared to 100,000 in the first round of the 2002 women's event in China.

"We are very disappointed with the turnout of the spectators in Brazil," said FIBA secretary general Patrick Baumann.

"One of the strongest arguments of the Brazilian bid was that they promised us full arenas.

"Except the Brazilian games we've had a very low attendance, which is surprising in a city with 12 million inhabitants who are known for their love of basketball."

Marketing for the tournament has been virtually non-existent, with few locals aware the championships are being staged here.

There have also been issues for the media, including a titanic struggle for many international journalists to receive their accreditation passes as well as problems with computer services.

Baumann said despite the fact Brazil has hosted three previous women's world championships, in 1957, 1971 and 1983, lessons are still to be learned.

"We had a very difficult start. This championship shows that you can not build on your experience from the organisation of former world championships," he said.

"The world has changed a lot since then and the sports industry requires completely new standards nowadays.

"The Brazilian Federation has learned a lesson here, not always a pleasant lesson, but they will certainly be able to build on this experience."

AAP

http://www.foxsports.com.au/story/0,8659,2...4-23769,00.html

Nuto,

I think if attendance falls short, that is something beyond the organization's control. (Think Athens 2004.) Yes, it was 'promised' but that's also like saying, the weather will be perfect, and then there's a rainstorm. It's one of those things beyond anyone's control -- AND would it be worse, if they FORCED people in at gunpoint -- just so they can attend? (You just know the events in Beijing will be filled because they forced quite a bit to attend.)

Whereas, the glitches in the recent Badminton worlds are organizational faux pax -- caused and could've been controlled, avoided or corrected immediately BY the LOCAL organizing group. It was something they HAD control over PLUS, apparently it wasn't the first time.

In the 'low' crowd issue, it just becomes a 'missed' opportunity and certainly FIBA will probably not go back to Sao Paolo for that. WHereas the situation in Valencia (or is Seville?) is something UNDER the control of the ORGANIZING Committee there, and they should've KNOWN it would have bad repercussions for Spain and possibly, Madrid's Olympic hopes -- especially if it already happened before.

But don't worry, this isn't the last faux pax to happen in a hosting event. There will be others. It will just depend on the magnitude of the glitch -- and which sport or athlete or IOC official was involved.

CORRECTION: Let me add a correction here. If the Women's FIBA Champs weren't marketed properly, as now it seems, then, yes that blame can be laid at the local Organizing Committee's door. THat however, nuto, is a miscalculation by the Sao Paolo committee or the Brazilian Basketball Association. Of course, if Rio does a smashing job with Pan Am 2007, then that might erase whatever negative feelings linger on after the Women's Championships.

Nuto,

I think if attendance falls short, that is something beyond the organization's control. (Think Athens 2004.) Yes, it was 'promised' but that's also like saying, the weather will be perfect, and then there's a rainstorm. It's one of those things beyond anyone's control -- AND would it be worse, if they FORCED people in at gunpoint -- just so they can attend? (You just know the events in Beijing will be filled because they forced quite a bit to attend.)

Whereas, the glitches in the recent Badminton worlds are organizational faux pax -- caused and could've been controlled, avoided or corrected immediately BY the LOCAL organizing group. It was something they HAD control over PLUS, apparently it wasn't the first time.

In the 'low' crowd issue, it just becomes a 'missed' opportunity and certainly FIBA will probably not go back to Sao Paolo for that. WHereas the situation in Valencia (or is Seville?) is something UNDER the control of the ORGANIZING Committee there, and they should've KNOWN it would have bad repercussions for Spain and possibly, Madrid's Olympic hopes -- especially if it already happened before.

But don't worry, this isn't the last faux pax to happen in a hosting event. There will be others. It will just depend on the magnitude of the glitch -- and which sport or athlete or IOC official was involved.

CORRECTION: Let me add a correction here. If the Women's FIBA Champs weren't marketed properly, as now it seems, then, yes that blame can be laid at the local Organizing Committee's door. THat however, nuto, is a miscalculation by the Sao Paolo committee or the Brazilian Basketball Association. Of course, if Rio does a smashing job with Pan Am 2007, then that might erase whatever negative feelings linger on after the Women's Championships.

obviously,but the point is the impartiality of GB...

just a question for the GB people:

why the news about the badminton´s world cup in Madrid from Reuters was a big headline for you and the critics of the FIBA´s Secretary to the organization of the Basketball World Cup Brazil 2006 no???

Brazil proves title letdown

From James Dampney in Sao Paulo, Brazil

September 19, 2006 FIBA, basketball's governing body, admits organisers of the 2006 women's world championships have not lived up to the standards expected when the South American nation was awarded the tournament.

In 2002, the FIBA board granted Brazil the tournament for the fourth time after being assured of its ability to stage a successful championships.

But there have been a variety of concerns for FIBA so far in the event, principally involving marketing and promotion.

A key component of the Brazil bid was a promise that Sao Paulo, the world's third-largest city with a strong basketball fanbase, would present packed houses at all games.

That has proven way off the mark, with the Ibirapuera Arena at around 75 percent capacity for games involving the host nation, but barely 10 percent full for all other match-ups.

Over the first four days approximately 25,000 spectators attended games, compared to 100,000 in the first round of the 2002 women's event in China.

"We are very disappointed with the turnout of the spectators in Brazil," said FIBA secretary general Patrick Baumann.

"One of the strongest arguments of the Brazilian bid was that they promised us full arenas.

"Except the Brazilian games we've had a very low attendance, which is surprising in a city with 12 million inhabitants who are known for their love of basketball."

Marketing for the tournament has been virtually non-existent, with few locals aware the championships are being staged here.

There have also been issues for the media, including a titanic struggle for many international journalists to receive their accreditation passes as well as problems with computer services.

Baumann said despite the fact Brazil has hosted three previous women's world championships, in 1957, 1971 and 1983, lessons are still to be learned.

"We had a very difficult start. This championship shows that you can not build on your experience from the organisation of former world championships," he said.

"The world has changed a lot since then and the sports industry requires completely new standards nowadays.

"The Brazilian Federation has learned a lesson here, not always a pleasant lesson, but they will certainly be able to build on this experience."

AAP

http://www.foxsports.com.au/story/0,8659,2...4-23769,00.html

Guy ..

1# There is a Brazilian Basketball crisis happening. Since there are no sponsors for all basketball teams. So they're getting gave up. The only team is going on is Brazilian one.

2# There was not divulgation from BF to Sao Paulo people about the games.

3# The games were in the business hours(afternoon).

I'm sorry for not have been crowded. In spite of not having won I liked.

Archived