Brazil Olympic Committee Picks Rio For 2016

Stu

Well you have to look at it this way, with only 5 spots avaliable for the shortlist, you basically have it like this.

1.) Madrid

2.) Tokyo

3.) US City

4.)?- Possible German city

5.) ?

And with Rio's score from last bidding very low, along with Havana and Monterrey, there could be a possibility of none of the other American cities being able to get on the shorlist.

Who knows? If there are plenty of weak bids, maybe the IOC will only create a shortlist of 3 or 4 cities.

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Well you have to look at it this way, with only 5 spots avaliable for the shortlist, you basically have it like this.

1.) Madrid

2.) Tokyo

3.) US City

4.)?- Possible German city

5.) ?

And with Rio's score from last bidding very low, along with Havana and Monterrey, there could be a possibility of none of the other American cities being able to get on the shorlist.

Is it a rule that there should only be 5 places for the short list?

Is it a rule that there should only be 5 places for the short list?

Not sure; I think it depends on how many cities have viable bids. I believe for 1992, there were 6 bidding cities; but there might've only been 6 cities total wanting to bid for the '92 summer Games.

I was a little surprised when they didn't make the 2012 race at first, but after taking a closer look of the larger picture it is very obvious why...I think Rio will not be able to work out all of their problems by 2016 taht killed their 2012 bid, not to mention that they will appear to have an "overload" of events which will unquestionably make the IOC weary of awarding them 2016...I don't think it is likely to happen...at least not 2016

Havana? :lol: They can barely feed their people; and with Castro gone in a year or 2; where'll they get the money?

Realistically, don't expect Monterrey or Havana to make the shortlist. Rio is still a big ??

THe shortlist is made up of the cities that could REALISTICALLY stage the Games if they win it -- not some amateur wannabee.

My views on Rio stay the same. Yeah, I have some doubts on its ability to get chosen or manage to do the task. That said, I'd love it if they did win.

Basically, I suppose, if they manage to get as far as making the short list (which is probably their biggest challenge) I'll be behind them all the way!

If Rio do manage to make the shortlist I'm sure a lot of support will go their way - not necessarily because they have the best bid but because they will undoubtedly be the sentimental favourite.

I agree, their biggest challenge will be making the shortlist in the first place - but this doesn't seem to be turning into a 2012-style campaign, so perhaps their chances are greater if some of the European cities like Berlin, Rome, etc, decide not to bid or even the US - Istanbul would surely make the shortlist this time round.

Tokyo

US city

Madrid

?

?

Monterrey, Istanbul, Rio de Janeiro, New Delhi ...... ?

In theory,everything seems to be falling into place for Rio to land both the 2014 World Cup and the 2016 Olympics as I agree that they look to be the sentimental favourites to get either one!

But as I said elsewhere,I just have my doubts as to whether the city can handle the expense of hosting both within the space of two years? There has already been some hesitation on FIFA's part as to whether Rio will be ready to host the 2014 World Cup and I wonder if the IOC will be that eager to place its flagship event in the hands of a city that may have its hands full hosting the other major world sporting event?

I await with interest to see how this will play out between Rio,FIFA and the IOC!

We (soverign plural) regard Rio's official bid for the 2016 Olympic games as a phenominal and exciting step in the right direction regarding new hosts for the Olympipcs. Rio has not only proven itself as a major world city but has, on a consistent basis, reinforced it dynamism through its exotic beauty. We (soverign plural) have accepted this news with great Joy and look forward to supporting Rio as a front runner for the 2016 Olympiad.

hereby declared on the fourth day of September 2006

We (soverign plural) regard Rio's official bid for the 2016 Olympic games as a phenominal and exciting step in the right direction regarding new hosts for the Olympipcs. Rio has not only proven itself as a major world city but has, on a consistent basis, reinforced it dynamism through its exotic beauty. We (soverign plural) have accepted this news with great Joy and look forward to supporting Rio as a front runner for the 2016 Olympiad.

hereby declared on the fourth day of September 2006

Baloney!! :rolleyes:

Let us (sovereign plural) add some clarity to any misconceptions about the bearer of the name Ruling Czar.

1. We are not based in Orlando

2. We have made, since 1998, twenty four thousand eight hundred and forty one (24,841) posts using 14 aliases.

3. our former alises inclued "Your Majesty", " Chief Executive Officer" etc.

4. We are based in what can only be called Paradise

5. We are always superior.

We have made friends with many of the "undesirables" of this site in an effort to pull them up to our level of existence. thank you

Realistically, don't expect Monterrey or Havana to make the shortlist. Rio is still a big ??

THe shortlist is made up of the cities that could REALISTICALLY stage the Games if they win it -- not some amateur wannabee.

I hear you, Baron. I definitely agree about Havana and, sadly, Monterrey as well.

Your comments regarding Rio and the short list are well founded. Still, I think Rio's got a very good shot at making the cut for purely sentimental reasons. They're a new frontier and their previous two bids went down in flames. Even if the bid isn't quite up to par, I think the IOC would be extremely hesitant to dismiss them a third time around. Plus, I think it's quite possible that the IOC may want to inject a little surprise into the race. Tokyo, Madrid, US city -- they all feel predictable. I think that a desire for something new and different will work in Rio's favor.

Incidentally, Stu, I think Istanbul may have some trouble if the terrorism doesn't cool off....

Incidentally, Stu, I think Istanbul may have some trouble if the terrorism doesn't cool off....

Terrorism is everywhere (USA, Irak, Russia, UK, Afghanistan, Spain, Denmark, Germany, Turkey...). By the way, Turkey will be in 2016 in the EU so...

Terrorism is everywhere (USA, Irak, Russia, UK, Afghanistan, Spain, Denmark, Germany, Turkey...). By the way, Turkey will be in 2016 in the EU so...

Yeah, mikel. But you can certainly minimize it. You don't have to be a moth and come close to the flame, is what Stu is saying -- and which is the path I think the IOC will take. You know the Olympics will never come to Egypt or Pakistan because of the overtly conservative strains of islam there. But you can never be too sure if it will be completely safe in Turkey as well. Why flirt with danger?

It can't be completely safe anywhere, though. If you didn't want to do anything that involved a risk, you wouldn't have got out of bed in the morning. The key is the package to keep the Games secure, not perceived risk.

It can't be completely safe anywhere, though. If you didn't want to do anything that involved a risk, you wouldn't have got out of bed in the morning. The key is the package to keep the Games secure, not perceived risk.

Its true that it can be completely safe anywhere, but there are actually international safety indexes that could indicate which places are safer than others.

You don't have to be a moth and come close to the flame, is what Stu is saying -- and which is the path I think the IOC will take.

OMG! I've been libelled! I didn't mention terrorism, moths or flames.

I think Istanbul would make a good host for an Olympics one day - but I don't think it will be 2016. I do think that Istanbul would have enough within its bid to merit a place on the shortlist, especially if fewer other European cities decide to forward a bid or the US opts out.

Istanbul has witnessed terrorism in the last few weeks and years and obviously this wouldn't help any Olympic bid, however, there are many countries of the world that are proving to be very vulnerable to terrorism - including all those shortlisted for 2012 and most of those interested in bidding for 2016.

Ok folks, I´ve read so far your comments, so as a Rio native, I will give my opinion. It will be a 'little' biased, since most of all it is my personal point of view and not a 'fair and balanced' one, but I hope you understand what I write.

--------------------------------------------

Unfortunately, the 2012 bid forum was erased, but if anyone could read it, I was one of the most supporters of Rio´s bid. Then came the shortlist, and I was outraged by the fact they excluded the city from the final vote.

Today, I can see the point and I totally agree with that. Why? Well, let´s see what is going on with the PanAm 2007 organization.

The city won the bid in 2002, and it was promised for the population a "PanAm with an Olympic level". Won´t go into lots of details, but something like the best of Sydney and Barcelona (this is my analysis, not theirs, but the cities were always mentioned here). New subway lines, new roads, everything a modern city can and should handle.

Fast foward to today, 10,5 months for Rio 2007. The Olympic Stadium? Not finished. Subways? "Only if Rio went through the shortlist" they said... 2 years after the shortlist announcement. Tickets? Today there is an article at local press telling that the company responsible for selling has not been chosen. Plus, lots of problems regarding the tender for the construction of the stadiums and venues (illegal environment approvals, lack of transparency). And, to top it all, they are actually destroying a race track venue just to build some of the venues, while there are tons of places near the race track to build it. And don´t get me started on the athletes' support.

Why is that? Real state speculation. The area where the PanAm Village and most of the events will take place is slowly but surely starting to improve its land value (even before 2002). That is the reason why only the construction part is going.

As of today, the city hall is getting more and more under pressure with budget and hearings from the judiciary. The deadlines for almost all venues are only a couple of weeks before the PanAm begins and no public office is taking responsability for the chaos it is turning.

So, in the middle of it, does anyone think the city is prepared to be an Olympic city? For me, like the previous bids, it is just a way to get more federal funds and put in the hands of the politicians.

This is the reason why, although I can answer some questions from this post, won´t be debating this topic for the simple reason that Rio´s bid has become a huge fraud.

The link below is for a blog regarding the real news behind the PanAm Games, unfortunately those are all Portuguese news, but those interested can use a translator to get the picture.

The truth about the PanAm 2007

Just to finish this long topic, I think that, when the PanAm Games are over, people will stop talking about Olympic bid. Meanwhile, some of the media and the BOC will generate the hype that Rio could host the Olympic Games.

OMG! I've been libelled! I didn't mention terrorism, moths or flames.

I think Istanbul would make a good host for an Olympics one day - but I don't think it will be 2016. I do think that Istanbul would have enough within its bid to merit a place on the shortlist, especially if fewer other European cities decide to forward a bid or the US opts out.

Stu is right. I was the person who said I wasn't so sure that Istanbul had a good shot at 2016. I also qualified my remarks: "IF the terrorism doesn't cool off." I too think Istanbul could be a great Olympic host, but at the moment the Kurdish rebels aren't helping their cause.

As many people have noted, terrorism is a global issue and could occur anywhere. Baron rightly paraphrased my sentiments (not Stu's) when he asked "why flirt with danger?" Turkey is closer to the action and does feel like more of a hot spot. Although the UK has suffered terrorist attacks they have handled them with spectacular efficiency and cool-headedness. At the moment, Turkey does't project the same image of competence. By the time 2009 rolls around all this may be a moot point....

Back to Rio.....

Quite honestly, I find something really exciting about the idea of a Brazilian Olympics. So far 2016 is feeling like a tired race to me. I'm just not keyed up about another US Games, a Tokyo Games, or a Spanish Games. I was won over by Almaty in the 2014 race because it was someplace DIFFERENT. My sympathies are going the same way for 2016 -- irrespective of technical merit. Obviously an Olympic host needs to have the financial and organizational muscle to pull off the Games. I would never advocate giving Olympics to a city that is incapable of staging them. But I do think there is a great deal to be said for variety and keeping the Olympic movement fresh.

I just have this feeling of "ugh, Tokyo" and "ugh, US". Bring on the darkhorses! Just make sure they can deliver... I would love to be genuinely impressed by Rio's bid.

Ok folks, I´ve read so far your comments, so as a Rio native, I will give my opinion. It will be a 'little' biased, since most of all it is my personal point of view and not a 'fair and balanced' one, but I hope you understand what I write.

Unfortunately, the 2012 bid forum was erased, but if anyone could read it, I was one of the most supporters of Rio´s bid. Then came the shortlist, and I was outraged by the fact they excluded the city from the final vote.

Today, I can see the point and I totally agree with that. Why? Well, let´s see what is going on with the PanAm 2007 organization.

The city won the bid in 2002, and it was promised for the population a "PanAm with an Olympic level". Won´t go into lots of details, but something like the best of Sydney and Barcelona (this is my analysis, not theirs, but the cities were always mentioned here). New subway lines, new roads, everything a modern city can and should handle.

Fast foward to today, 10,5 months for Rio 2007. The Olympic Stadium? Not finished. Subways? "Only if Rio went through the shortlist" they said... 2 years after the shortlist announcement. Tickets? Today there is an article at local press telling that the company responsible for selling has not been chosen. Plus, lots of problems regarding the tender for the construction of the stadiums and venues (illegal environment approvals, lack of transparency). And, to top it all, they are actually destroying a race track venue just to build some of the venues, while there are tons of places near the race track to build it. And don´t get me started on the athletes' support.

Why is that? Real state speculation. The area where the PanAm Village and most of the events will take place is slowly but surely starting to improve its land value (even before 2002). That is the reason why only the construction part is going.

As of today, the city hall is getting more and more under pressure with budget and hearings from the judiciary. The deadlines for almost all venues are only a couple of weeks before the PanAm begins and no public office is taking responsability for the chaos it is turning.

So, in the middle of it, does anyone think the city is prepared to be an Olympic city? For me, like the previous bids, it is just a way to get more federal funds and put in the hands of the politicians.

This is the reason why, although I can answer some questions from this post, won´t be debating this topic for the simple reason that Rio´s bid has become a huge fraud.

The link below is for a blog regarding the real news behind the PanAm Games, unfortunately those are all Portuguese news, but those interested can use a translator to get the picture.

Just to finish this long topic, I think that, when the PanAm Games are over, people will stop talking about Olympic bid. Meanwhile, some of the media and the BOC will generate the hype that Rio could host the Olympic Games.

God, I hope I could fill in those bits naming "Rio" with "Tokyo" in your above, very honest post. One can hope.

I'm posting an article that was printed yesterday in a newspaper from Mexico City

The spanish version:

Candidatura de Río a J0 2016, un “escándalo” aseguran

Exhortan al Ministerio Público a investigar la postulación de Río de Janeiro a ser sede de los Juegos Olímpicos de 2016, a la que calificó de “escándalo”.

4-Septiembre-06 (11:25)

RÍO DE JANEIRO, Brasil.- Uno de los más prestigiosos columnistas deportivos de Brasil, Juca Kfouri, exhortó hoy al Ministerio Público a investigar la candidatura de Río de Janeiro a ser sede de los Juegos Olímpicos de 2016, a la que calificó de “escándalo”.

“Aún pagamos la factura de las famosas campañas Brasilia-2000, Río-2004 y Río-2012. Las cuentas de esas candidaturas nunca se cerraron. Y Brasil no tiene chance alguna de ser sede de unos Juegos, porque el Comité Olímpico Internacional (COI) nunca dará la competencia a un país inestable desde el punto de vista del Primer Mundo”, dijo hoy el comentarista.

Según Kfouri, los dirigentes brasileños saben que se trata de una postulación fracasada. “Ya basta de engaños, de candidaturas artificiales para llenar los bolsillos de los de siempre”, exhortó.

El columnista sostuvo que Brasil no tiene posibilidad de realizar unos Juegos Olímpicos, un evento que involucra “tantos compromisos con los llamados top sponsors(grandes patrocinadores), con las redes de televisión, que el COI no puede correr ni siquiera el mínimo riesgo de que no sean realizados en forma ejemplar”.

“Brasil es un país que tiene riesgo económico, que no puede dar garantía de inversiones, una nación pobre con profundas desigualdades sociales; que no atiende normas esenciales de respeto al medio ambiente (...), que tiene problemas básicos de infraestructura, tales como hospitales, saneamiento básico, seguridad, transporte público”, argumentó.

Según Kfouri, la candidatura de Río “es factor de promoción personal y de evasión de divisas”, ya que “la campaña se hace en el exterior, con visitas a los miembros del COI, federaciones internacionales, comités olímpicos nacionales y otros”.

“Todos los gastos, por lo tanto, son hechos fuera de la frontera. No hay control rígido de los gastos y los comprobantes son presentados como se les dé la gana”, agregó el columnista, quien afirmó que hubiera sido mejor invertir el dinero de la candidatura en el desarrollo del deporte de base y en la creación de centros deportivos para la población pobre, “para masificar el deporte, de donde podrán surgir nuevos talentos a largo plazo”.

El duro ataque de Kfouri fue lanzado tres días después de que el Comité Olímpico Brasileño (COB) anunciara la precandidatura de Río de Janeiro para ser sede de los Juegos Olímpicos de 2016.

Según el presidente de la entidad, Carlos Arthur Nuzman, esta vez la postulación será más fuerte, gracias a la estructura que la ciudad brasileña está construyendo para recibir los Juegos Panamericanos 2007.

“Río de Janeiro será la única ciudad de Brasil y de América Latina que contará con un conjunto de modernas instalaciones de nivel olímpico preparadas durante la postulación de la candidatura, como las de hipismo, atletismo, deportes acuáticos y tiro deportivo”, dijo Nuzman.

El alcalde de la ciudad, Cesar Maia, también prometió “trabajar con ahínco” para lograr éxito de la candidatura carioca y evitar que se repitan los fracasos de los dos intentos anteriores.

Otras ciudades que ya oficializaron su precandidatura a organizar los Juegos Olímpicos de 2016 son Madrid, Tokio, Roma, Milán, San Francisco y Los Angeles. El COI anunciará la vencedora en 2009.

The english version.

Rio 2016 bid, an “scandal” they assure

It has been asked to the Public Ministery to investigate the nomination of Rio de Janeiro to host the 2016 Olympics, which was qualified as an “scandal”

September 4th-06 (11:25)

RIO DE JANEIRO, Brasil.- One of th most prestigious sports columnists of Brazil, Juca Kfouri, asked the Public Ministery to investigate Río de Janeiro bid to host the 2016 Olympic Games, which he qualified as an “scandal”.

“We are still paying the bills of the famous bid campaings of Brasilia-2000, Río-2004 and Río-2012. The bills of those candidatures have never been closed. And brazil has no chance at all to host the Olympics, because the International Olympic Committee (IOC) will never give away the event to an inestable country, from the point of view of the First World” said the sport columnist.

According to Kfouri, the brazilian managers know that this postulation will fail. “Enough of disieves, of artificial candidatures to fill the pockets of the same old people” he claimed.

The columnist claims that Brazil has no posibilities to realize an Olympic Games, an event that involves “so many commitments to the so called top sponsors, with television networks, that the IOC could never run de chance to get the minimum risk that the games could not be staged in a marvelous way”.

“Brazil is a country with an economic risk, that could not provide any guaranties on the investments, a poor nation with deep social differences; that does not follows the essential norms and respect to the environment(...), that has problems in basic infrastructure, such as hospitals, basic health issues, security, public transport”, he argumented.

According to Kfouri, Rio’s bid “is a factor of personal promotion and currency exchange evassion”, since, “the campaign is done outside Brazil, with visits to the members of the IOC, international fedderations, national olympic committees and others”.

“All the expenses, therefore, are done outside Brazil’s border. There is no rigid control on expenses and bills of their expenses are presented the way they want to”, added the columnist, who claim that it would have been better to invest the money of Río’s Bid on the development of base sport, and the creation of sports centers for the poor population, “to massify sports, from where new talents could emerge on the long term”.

The hard attack of Kfouri was launched three days after the Brazilian Olympic Committee (BOC) announced the pre-candidature of Río de Janeiro to host the 2016 Olympic Games.

According to the president of the entity, Carlos Arthur Nuzman, this time the postulation will be stronger, thanks to the structure that the brazilian city is building to receive the 2007 Panamerican games.

“Río de janeiro will be the only city in Brazil and Latin America that will count with modern instalations with olympic level, prepared during the preparation of the bid, like the venues of equestrian, athletics, aquatic sports and shooting”, said Nuzman.

The city’s mayor, Cesar Maia, also promised “to work with enthusiasm” to achieve the succes of the brazilian candidatura and avoid to repeat the failures of the last two trys.

Other cities that have made oficial their pre-candidature to organize the 2016 Olympic Games are Madrid, Tokio, Roma, Milan, San Francisco and Los Angeles. The IOC will announce the winner on 2009.

Sad to see that Brazil's problems and non-supportive people seem to come from within.

Romiger, I don't see Eye-to-eye with you. I'm from Here, as you are. And I fell very sad to see a Brazilian guy like you trying to disturb our reality.

It's our first really big event although Rio is the the city which has been receiving the most international events in all America (being ahead of cities as; NYC, Washington D.C., São Paulo, Buenos Aires, Mar del Plata e etc). We're learning, getting experience to show the world we can do it.

Our Pan America Games will be the first in the History to include both Pan and Parapan America in the same city at the same time as Olympic Games. Our venues was developed to be at the same level of Olympic ones. An awesome security complex is being thought.

Mistakes may happen. But we're getting experience.

OBS: I read here the capacity of Rio olympic stadium would be 45.000 people and really is. But the satdium is being built to suport an increase, changing the capacity to 60.000 people in case of host the 2016 games or 2014 World CUp.

post-1527-1157670350.jpg

The Pan-American VIllage (Almost built)

Romiger, I don't see Eye-to-eye with you. I'm from Here, as you are. And I fell very sad to see a Brazilian guy like you trying to disturb our reality.

It's our first really big event although Rio is the the city which has been receiving the most international events in all America (being ahead of cities as; NYC, Washington D.C., São Paulo, Buenos Aires, Mar del Plata e etc). We're learning, getting experience to show the world we can do it.

Our Pan America Games will be the first in the History to include both Pan and Parapan America in the same city at the same time as Olympic Games. Our venues was developed to be at the same level of Olympic ones. An awesome security complex is being thought.

Mistakes may happen. But we're getting experience.

OBS: I read here the capacity of Rio olympic stadium would be 45.000 people and really is. But the satdium is being built to suport an increase, changing the capacity to 60.000 people in case of host the 2016 games or 2014 World CUp.

post-1527-1157670350.jpg

The Pan-American VIllage (Almost built)

#1 - Welcome.

#2 - Where's "Here"? (just kidding.)

No, I appreciate Rominger's being very honest. It doesn't mean he's any less partiotic a Brazilian than you are. He is just being honest. I wish we had somebody in the Japanese/Tokyo Olympic Committee to reveal to us their warts and potholes. :lol:

#3 - Uhmm, an "Olympic Stadium" needs an 80,000 capacity. So someone in Rio has goofed.

Archived