Brazil Olympic Committee Picks Rio For 2016

Stu

The Brazilian Olympic Committee announced Friday that Rio de Janeiro would be its candidate city to host the 2016 Olympic games. Brazilian Olympic Committee president Carlos Nuzman said Rio de Janeiro would be the best candidate because of its preparations already under way to host the 2007 Pan American Games. Other possible candidate cities had included Sao Paulo and Brasilia. "Rio is the only city in Brazil or Latin America with installations at an Olympic level. Seventy percent of the installation needed to host an Olympic games do, or will, exist in Rio," Nuzman said in announcing the bid.

Rio has previously bid to host the games in 2004 and 2012, but never made it past the applicant phase. It also bid to host the games in 1936 without success. Rio Mayor Cesar Maia said the city had learned from past bids and hoped a successful Pan Am games next July would demonstrate to the IOC that the city was capable of hosting an Olympic games. "I learned that when the International Olympic Committee wasn't receptive to our past bids, they were right," Maia said. "In the past the bids were guided by politics this bid will be guided by sports and it is completely in the hands of the Brazilian Olympic committee." Brazil has also retained international consulting firm Event Knowledge Services to advise them on the bid.

Event Knowledge Services consultant Craig McLatchey said Rio was the ideal host because of its beauty and international reputation as a gateway to South America. He added that the biggest obstacles to a successful bid would be improving infrastructure and mass transit in the city. Personal safety may be another concern in this city with an annual murder rate of around 50 per 100,000 residents, making it one of the most violent cities in the world.

Another complication could come with Brazil's bid to host the 2014 World Cup, with it unlikely that the city would be awarded two world-class sporting events in such a short time. Brazil is considered the favorite to host the World Cup under FIFA's policy of continental rotation, but the site of the 2014 World Cup won't be decided for two years.

http://www.tsn.ca/olympics/news_story/?ID=...61&hubname=

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The Brazilian Olympic Committee announced Friday that Rio de Janeiro would be its candidate city to host the 2016 Olympic games. Brazilian Olympic Committee president Carlos Nuzman said Rio de Janeiro would be the best candidate because of its preparations already under way to host the 2007 Pan American Games. Other possible candidate cities had included Sao Paulo and Brasilia. "Rio is the only city in Brazil or Latin America with installations at an Olympic level. Seventy percent of the installation needed to host an Olympic games do, or will, exist in Rio," Nuzman said in announcing the bid.

Rio has previously bid to host the games in 2004 and 2012, but never made it past the applicant phase. It also bid to host the games in 1936 without success. Rio Mayor Cesar Maia said the city had learned from past bids and hoped a successful Pan Am games next July would demonstrate to the IOC that the city was capable of hosting an Olympic games. "I learned that when the International Olympic Committee wasn't receptive to our past bids, they were right," Maia said. "In the past the bids were guided by politics this bid will be guided by sports and it is completely in the hands of the Brazilian Olympic committee." Brazil has also retained international consulting firm Event Knowledge Services to advise them on the bid.

Event Knowledge Services consultant Craig McLatchey said Rio was the ideal host because of its beauty and international reputation as a gateway to South America. He added that the biggest obstacles to a successful bid would be improving infrastructure and mass transit in the city. Personal safety may be another concern in this city with an annual murder rate of around 50 per 100,000 residents, making it one of the most violent cities in the world.

Another complication could come with Brazil's bid to host the 2014 World Cup, with it unlikely that the city would be awarded two world-class sporting events in such a short time. Brazil is considered the favorite to host the World Cup under FIFA's policy of continental rotation, but the site of the 2014 World Cup won't be decided for two years.

http://www.tsn.ca/olympics/news_story/?ID=...61&hubname=

Eeehhh, Rio.... Rio could really be a challenge and the first strong bid from those regions that never hosted OG

So the worms are coming out of the woodwork. The 2016 worms so far: Madrid, Monterrey, Tokyo, Rio. Very possibly, a US bid. I think the IOC needs 6 or 7 semi-serious bids so they can turn down 2 or 3. :lol: Come on Cape Town and Delhi. That would then make 7. So except for Oceania, all the incontinents would be represented. :lol:

So the worms are coming out of the woodwork. The 2016 worms so far: Madrid, Monterrey, Tokyo, Rio. Very possibly, a US bid. I think the IOC needs 6 or 7 semi-serious bids so they can turn down 2 or 3. :lol: Come on Cape Town and Delhi. That would then make 7. So except for Oceania, all the incontinents would be represented. :lol:

Don't forget our old friend Istanbul, which by law must bid until it wins.

I'm hoping Rio gets shortlisted, and it'd be great if they actually did win 2016!

If Rio wins, I'm sure they'll use Corcovado and the Christ statue for some of the establishing shots on TV...

corcovado.jpg

And I love Antonio Carlos Jobim and Astrud Gilberto! ;)

It'd also be great if Istanbul were shortlisted... I'm kinda pulling for that city to win the Olympics eventually, I love Istanbul.

And those two cities would make the candidate mix more interesting; I think it's boring that Tokyo wants to try to host, and I wish the US wouldn't bid for 2016, but if it does, I hope it doesn't choose LA.

I thought the 2012 race was totally boring, the word "overexposure" coming to my mind when reading the shortlist of cities.

I'm hoping Rio gets shortlisted, and it'd be great if they actually did win 2016!

If Rio wins, I'm sure they'll use Corcovado and the Christ statue for some of the establishing shots on TV...

corcovado.jpg

And I love Antonio Carlos Jobim and Astrud Gilberto! ;)

It'd also be great if Istanbul were shortlisted... I'm kinda pulling for that city to win the Olympics eventually, I love Istanbul.

And those two cities would make the candidate mix more interesting; I think it's boring that Tokyo wants to try to host, and I wish the US wouldn't bid for 2016, but if it does, I hope it doesn't choose LA.

I thought the 2012 race was totally boring, the word "overexposure" coming to my mind when reading the shortlist of cities.

Traitor!!

I hope and think SF or Chicago will get 2016. The other cities can wait.

I agree - it would be an amazing backdrop for the sailing and triathlon events. Culturally too it could be an amazing Olympics with the tradition of samba and carnival that the city has.

I still support Tokyo but I would be more than happy if Rio succeeded - I hope they come up with an exciting plan and deal with some of their infrastructure problems.

To tell the truth, I'm hoping more than anything for a South American Olympics. Not only would it be great to finally see an Olympics in a non-traditional region, but it would also be in an American time zone, which would mean live events all day on TV. :D

Hopefully, the day comes relatively soon when a South American city is ready to host.

I agree - it would be an amazing backdrop for the sailing and triathlon events. Culturally too it could be an amazing Olympics with the tradition of samba and carnival that the city has.

I still support Tokyo but I would be more than happy if Rio succeeded - I hope they come up with an exciting plan and deal with some of their infrastructure problems.

The things is,I can't see Rio hosting both an Olympics and a Football World Cup in the space of just two years,at least not for the present moment.I think one of them will have to give.

From where I'm standing,it would seem that the 2014 World Cup is virtually in the bag although Rio also looks set to be the favourite for 2016 if it can come up with a good enough bid and get itself shortlisted this time.But hosting both events in such a short space of time would be a hard enough task for a wealthy first-world city to take on! How would Rio manage? And would FIFA and the IOC both be happy to see a new-frontier first timer like Rio stage both their flagship events within two years of each other?

It will be interesting to see how this will potentially play out between Rio,FIFA and the IOC??

What about security? Have you seen the things that have happened in Brazil this summer? Riots in Sao Paulo, some farmers entered in the Congress and hurst some people distroying the furniture, the riots in the jails... :blink: Rio will get a big 0 in security...

The things is,I can't see Rio hosting both an Olympics and a Football World Cup in the space of just two years,at least not for the present moment.I think one of them will have to give.

From where I'm standing,it would seem that the 2014 World Cup is virtually in the bag although Rio also looks set to be the favourite for 2016 if it can come up with a good enough bid and get itself shortlisted this time.But hosting both events in such a short space of time would be a hard enough task for a wealthy first-world city to take on! How would Rio manage? And would FIFA and the IOC both be happy to see a new-frontier first timer like Rio stage both their flagship events within two years of each other?

It will be interesting to see how this will potentially play out between Rio,FIFA and the IOC??

You're right, but the thing is that someone already did it: Mexico. Hosted the 1968 Olympics and the 1970 Fifa World Cup :o!

Not to mention there would be TWO Carnavales in between. :blink: So?

You're right, but the thing is that someone already did it: Mexico. Hosted the 1968 Olympics and the 1970 Fifa World Cup

Well, Mexico isn't the only one. THe US, in reverse order: 1994 World Cup and the 1996 Centennial Games. See, los americanos nortenos saben que hacerlo (the North Americans know how to do it). But, seriously, those 2 events are no longer on the scale of your 1968-70 tandem, neuquen. A SOG costs at least $2.5 billion to stage now; and maybe a World Cup costing 4x that.

What about security? Have you seen the things that have happened in Brazil this summer? Riots in Sao Paulo, some farmers entered in the Congress and hurst some people distroying the furniture, the riots in the jails... :blink: Rio will get a big 0 in security...

Crime is a problem for Brazil and it is something they have to look at and attempt to improve, however, they are not the only country applying for the Olympics that suffer from high urban murder rates - Russia, Mexico and South Africa all have really high murder rates by Western European standards. From 2005 figures Brazil doesn't make the worst ten in the world: South Africa does.

There were riots in Los Angeles in 1992, four years before Atlanta '96 - it didn't have any influence on the Games there. I shouldn't think that security from crime would even be raised before an American city. Although murder rates in cities like New York have fallen in recent years one is still 16 times more likely to be murdered in New York than in London and that's one of the safest larger cities in the US; in Brussels one is 170 times safer from murder than in Washington DC.

Nevertheless, Brazil does have a lot to do to convince the world it's a safe place to visit.

Not to mention there would be TWO Carnavales in between. :blink: So?

"But, seriously, those 2 events are no longer on the scale of your 1968-70 tandem, neuquen. A SOG costs at least $2.5 billion to stage now; and maybe a World Cup costing 4x that."

You made my point for me.Expense!! Can a poor country like Brazil manage to pull off both at more or less the same time??

Good analisys but ..... who can say ?

Korea won the bid for 1986 Asian Games and 1988 Olympic Games, the first was a test for the second

You made my point for me.Expense!! Can a poor country like Brazil manage to pull off both at more or less the same time??

I think Brazil is in much the same position as China in this respect. Brazil is a rapidly growing economy; just outside the top ten largest economies in the world - a bigger economy than Australia, India, and the Netherlands (more than double that of Greece). Like China, however, a large section of the population has been left behind and remained in poverty.

I think Brazil is in much the same position as China in this respect. Brazil is a rapidly growing economy; just outside the top ten largest economies in the world - a bigger economy than Australia, India, and the Netherlands. Like China, however, a large section of the population has been left behind and remained in poverty.

Then they would be the perfect Olympic host! Used to being in deficit, another 4 years' financial setback due to a sports extravaganza is a mere bump on the way to the World Bank Refinancing Window. It's the Carnavales in-between the World Cup and the Olympics that I'm worried about. :blink:

I smell some backdoor skullduggery in the works if Brazil goes for both the World Cup and the Olympic Games. It’s widely known that Brazil could suffer from even worse problems then South Africa to stage a world cup but Rio de Janeiro could easy stage a games if that is Brazil’s only sport focus. I know there has been deals in the past (notably between Canada and China and between Melbourne, Manchester, Toronto and Atlanta) to give each other events, the first support for Shanghai 2010 in exchange for support for Vancouver 2010 and the latter the anyone but Greece Anglo-Saxon alliance that was formed before the vote.

If Brazil had to choose and could trade one for the other it is possible that the USOC would undercut any bid for 2016 to push for 2014 in the US (which would suit Europe because it would mean they would only have to deal with China and Australia in 2018) and the US winds up with the 2014 World Cup and Brazil winds up with the 2016 Olympics.

Rio, Monterrey, a possible US bid and maybe La Habana going at it again may spice the race for sure, but will divide the American votes so much.

I suppose South American votes will go to Rio, Mexico probally getting Central America, assuming La Habana does not make it to the short list.

Honest question and no harm intended, Who do you think may support the US city if bidding?

Rio, Monterrey, a possible US bid and maybe La Habana going at it again may spice the race for sure, but will divide the American votes so much.

I suppose South American votes will go to Rio, Mexico probally getting Central America, assuming La Habana does not make it to the short list.

Honest question and no harm intended, Who do you think may support the US city if bidding?

Well you have to look at it this way, with only 5 spots avaliable for the shortlist, you basically have it like this.

1.) Madrid

2.) Tokyo

3.) US City

4.)?- Possible German city

5.) ?

And with Rio's score from last bidding very low, along with Havana and Monterrey, there could be a possibility of none of the other American cities being able to get on the shorlist.

Archived