Vancouver 2010 pins

SkiFreak

The Artiss Aminco Pin List has been updated again ...

http://www.artissaminco.ca/docs/Pin_List.pdf

Many new pins coming in early 2008 ... new Winter Sports (Maple Leaf) Series, new Holiday Series 2008, additions to the Countdown Series.

Cool! It's interesting to see the same mascot image on the 2 year pin as the Bell pin. I was thinking the other pictures of the mascots playing sports would be coming soon. Maybe in the near future - maybe once we convince them to make a Mukmuk pin - maybe with him playing the recycling game!

I like how the flag series pins include Mexico and Brazil. LOL.

I can imagine the conversation

"So. we need another couple countries for our flag series pins. Sweden? no. Norway? no. Switzerland? no. Italy? no. Russia? naaaah. Umm. BRAZIL! Yes! I agree! And MEXICO! Excellent idea indeed! Quite right!"

I like how the flag series pins include Mexico and Brazil. LOL.

I can imagine the conversation

"So. we need another couple countries for our flag series pins. Sweden? no. Norway? no. Switzerland? no. Italy? no. Russia? naaaah. Umm. BRAZIL! Yes! I agree! And MEXICO! Excellent idea indeed! Quite right!"

I was told recently by the staff of Hudson House Trading (one of the major 2010 pin dealers in Vancouver) that they specifically requested the flag pins of Brazil and Mexico a few months ago.

I was talking to the Artiss Aminco rep this morning at the Pacific Pin Club. The release of the flag pins is all about marketing. It has nothing to do with the amount of medals a nation has won or the number of times a nation has participated (that is what the round Country pin wa for). It is all about tourism. This is the time of year tourist come to Canada from Mexico and Brazil.

I was talking to the Artiss Aminco rep this morning at the Pacific Pin Club. The release of the flag pins is all about marketing. It has nothing to do with the amount of medals a nation has won or the number of times a nation has participated (that is what the round Country pin wa for). It is all about tourism. This is the time of year tourist come to Canada from Mexico and Brazil.

Really? That sounds like just the opposite to me. Every Brazilian and Mexican family I know in Vancouver say that in general they like to come here during summer and that many people such as students and workers like to return from December to February. That kind of marketing sounds odd to me. :blink:

I just think if they're doing that they should go ahead and include the market section of traditional winter nations. Makes sense to me. Especially Russia, what with being the next hosts and all. :rolleyes:

Really? That sounds like just the opposite to me. Every Brazilian and Mexican family I know in Vancouver say that in general they like to come here during summer and that many people such as students and workers like to return from December to February. That kind of marketing sounds odd to me.

Well, maybe it is those people who are returning to Brazil and Mexico they are targeting ... hoping they will take the pins back with them. There must have been a good reason for Hudson House Trading in Gastown to request those flag pins!

I just received a call ... the new Clear Leaf Winter Sports Series is now available at Hudson House Trading in Gastown. This a beautiful new series ... I personally think it is the best yet ... there are 6 pins in the series.

NOTE: Quantities may be limited at Hudson House ... if they only order a small quanitity they limited them to collectors only. Best to call before going.

Does anybody know if any companies will be producing specialized display frames for the various series of pins? For instance a frame for the landmark series pins or a frame for the sports equipment series, etc.

Does anybody know if any companies will be producing specialized display frames for the various series of pins? For instance a frame for the landmark series pins or a frame for the sports equipment series, etc.

That type of product would need to be licensed by VANOC via Artiss Aminco. They have mentioned pin frames as a future product on their website before, so they will need to select a company to produce them.

• 2 weeks later...
I just made an observation. How come this year's Happy Holidays pins (with the exception of the New Year's pin) don't have a date on them? (i.e. 2007)

I'm guessing that was done to make them more attractive to non-collectors. People wondered why we were selling a few remaining "Happy Holidays 2006" in our stores this month. They would prefer to have something they can wear each year without appearing to be outdated. Having the date there is more interesting to collectors, who know about all the different issues and the limited editions. Fortunately Artiss Aminco knows that's what we're looking for, so they have the year and/or the countdown on the back of the pin of the "undated" pins. For example, on the back of this year's Santa Hat pin you'll see "HOLIDAY '07 - 780 DTG". (DTG is Days To Go).

I guess they kept the year on the New Year's pin since New Year's is all about the new year.

• 2 weeks later...

From a Blog that appeared on the Vancouver Sun website on Dec 4, 2007:

On China, Taiwan and an Olympic political gaffe at City Hall

That old saying woodshop saying "measure twice, cut once" has a new meaning in Vancouver now that the city has had to scrap two runs of specially-designed Chinese language pins because of potential political embarrassment.

In Tuesday's paper and online edition is the story about how the city, an official government sponsor of the 2010 Olympic and Paralympic Games, discovered that the pins were made in Taiwan, Republic of China.

Not the People's Republic of China, which doesn't recognize Taiwan as an independent country, and which doesn't like other countries like Canada doing so either.

It turns out that the manufacturer of the pins, Vanoc licensee Artiss Aminco (which is a partnership of Regina-based Laurie Artiss Ltd., and Lake Forest, California-based Aminco International (USA) Ltd.) didn't realize the political liability of sending the order to a factory in Taiwan. If it was a commercial customer, like any of the thousands that Artiss and Aminco have, it probably wouldn't be a problem.

But handing out Taiwan-stamped government pins to Chinese delegates from Beijing is. Artiss Aminco CEO Chris Pasterfield says the company normally uses production facilities in Canada and China, and sometimes in Taiwan. But somehow, the order slipped by watchful eyes, with the result that Vancouver now has to scrap the two runs and re-order more politically-correct ones.

Paying attention to details - even on the back of a pin - reminds me of another printing gaffe the city made more than 20 years ago during Mayor Mike Harcourt's time (before he went on to be premier).

When Gordon Campbell (who followed Harcourt to Victoria) took over as mayor in 1988, his staff found a number of boxes that were full of bright, unused two-ended pens.

Harcourt's administration had ordered them to commemorate the city's 100th anniversary. But for some reason, the pens remained unused and uncirculated. Upon closer inspection, while the city name and commemorative year were correct, the crest had been printed on backwards. That might also have been a minor issue, until someone pointed out that the motto below the crest, "By Seal Land and Air We Prosper", was unreadable. I kid you not.

I still have one of the pens. Harcourt's office was too frugal to throw them out. Campbell's political staff made a point for years of using the supply - and occasionally handing them out to reporters and others who would appreciate the joke.

2010TaiwanPin.jpg

Link to this | E-mail this | Digg this | Post to del.icio.us

Published Tuesday, December 04, 2007 12:53 AM by Jeff Lee

Filed under: Vancouver, Vanoc, Beijing, 2010, 2008, Olympic, Paralympic, Taiwan, pins, politic

Here's the accompanying article that appeared in the Vancouver Sun on December 4, 2007:

When 'Made in China' has to mean what it says

Jeff Lee, Vancouver Sun

Published: Tuesday, December 04, 2007

What's in a name? If the name is Taiwan and it's supposed to be China, and it involves political sensitivities around the Olympics, quite a lot of trouble, it seems.

A Vancouver city official said Monday the city has had to scrap two runs of official Olympic government sponsor pins after it was discovered the manufacturer made them in Taiwan, known as the Republic of China, rather than in China, the People's Republic of China.

Taiwan, which China considers a breakaway region, is not formally recognized by Canada as a country.

Relations between the two countries are at times tense, and Beijing protests regularly when Taiwan is given too much official status.

Sven Buemann, Vancouver's chief protocol officer, said the optics of the city's gaffe are obvious now, but it wasn't discovered until many of the pins were handed out. "Right now we've had a printing error on them which we are hoping to get rectified very, very soon," Buemann said. "If you look at the back of the pin it says Taiwan. It's not a large issue, but it is one we are sensitive to. We had hoped these pins wouldn't say Made in Taiwan, as they are made for the Chinese market."

The pins feature two Chinese language versions of the term "Vancouver" and "Host City" above and below the official logo of the Vancouver 2010 Winter Olympics. On the back, above the pin, is a stamp "TAIWAN."

The city's communications department contracted with official Vanoc pin-maker Artiss Aminco Ltd. to produce the pins. The city planned to give them out to Chinese residents, and to also take them to Beijing with an official delegation for the 2008 Summer Games.

But the error went undiscovered for about a year.

Now, Buemann says the city will have to reorder the entire lot in advance of the Beijing Games.

Artiss Aminco, which produces all official Olympic pins for the Vancouver Organizing Committee, including for sponsors and retail sales, normally produces its pins in China, or at partner plants in Canada. But for reasons CEO Chris Pasterfield can't explain, small runs of the Vancouver city pin were sent to a plant it uses in Taiwan.

"At the time we did it we weren't aware that it was going to be [produced] there," he said. "Vancouver hasn't contacted us yet. Hopefully they will."

Both Buemann and Mayor Sam Sullivan's office say they haven't had any official complaints from Chinese authorities. But clearly, the pins could not continue to be handed out, Buemann said.

Jennifer Young, the assistant director of corporate communications, said the city paid $2 each for 1,000 pins, half of which were written in a traditional Chinese character, and half in a simplified Chinese text.

The mistake may be embarrassing for Vancouver, but it has become a hot commodity for pin traders and collectors.

Frank Zavarella, of the Pacific Pin-Trading Club, said he's being flooded with requests from collectors looking for one of the misprints. Where a Vancouver city host pin might be worth $20 in trade value, it's worth double that, he said.

"To me, all of the sudden they became a rarity," Zavarella said. "Everybody is wanting one now."

Pasterfield said he learned of the pin mistake last week when he was in Vancouver for the launch of the 2010 mascots. Vanoc spokesman Chris Brumwell said to his knowledge no other Olympic pins -- whether for retail sales or sponsors -- were produced in Taiwan.

The gaffe comes as Beijing considers Vancouver as one of three stops on an international torch relay for the 2008 Paralympic Games. In September, BOCOG, the Beijing organizing committee, invited Vancouver, London and Sochi, Russia -- which will host the 2012 Summer and 2014 Winter Games respectively -- to host the torch on the tour.

Anybody lucky enough to have this pin in their collection?

Hmmm. I'd like those. However, I had a rare pin in 1984 (the Merrill Lynch Sarajevo pin which had the ML bull blackened out rather than with a white fill-in) which at the time of hot trading in Los Angeles was reputedly worth $1,000 to the most avid collectors. It was only like 2 months after those Games that I accidentally found one in a drugstore amongst a pile of other pins.

When I lived in Atlanta in 1996, I framed it and made allthe right legends about it, and consigned it with a very well-placed store. Didn't sell. Of course, the internet is more widely used now -- so maybe I'll try again this year.

I noticed Radar has in his collection the other Bell mascot pins. Are these available at the Bell stores like the Quatchi/Miga figure skating pin? Or do you have to write to the head office?

^baron-pierreIV, regarding your sig, niiiiiiiiiccccccceeee. Is that the proposed mascot for Rio 2016? :rolleyes:

Artiss Aminco posted a new listing of pins. New on the list are holiday pins and 2-years-to-go pins. Here's the link:

http://www.artissaminco.ca/docs/Pin_List.pdf

I haven's sent out an e-mails or letters for sponsorship pins in a while, but I'll probably get back into it as the Olympic mood is setting in again with the 2-year countdown approaching. I was just on Workopolis's website checking my account and job postings and decided to send them an e-mail regarding their sponsorship pins. If I get any I'll post the response here.

The "2 Years to Go Stones" pin #1242 has to be the ugliest retail pin yet issued by Artiss Aminco! It looks like it was made by a young child!

Yes - they should have saved the Stonehenge theme for 2012, where it could be paired up with the London logo...