Vancouver 2010 pins

SkiFreak

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for this list. I was looking at the Landmark series pins and noticed the train one. I zoomed in on it and realized it's a weird red blob rendering of the Royal Hudson. What's sad is, for anyone that is a train fan, looks like the Hudson won't see much service as CN doesn't like mainline steam loomotives on their track (well our track actually, but you know, its CN). It definitely won't go back to the days when the Hudson was running 5 days a week from North Vancouver to Squamish. I'm suprised that there's a pin featuring the locomotive. It looks like the Hudson is pretty much going to stay in the vicinity of the West Coast Railway Heritage Park in Squamish, which is run by the West Coast Railway Association unfortunately. If anyone is interested in seeing the Royal Hudson steamed-up and giving very short rides there is a special event happening at the railway park this Saturday. Check out the link for more info:

http://www.wcra.org/hudson/steam-day.html

As for any new acquisitions to my pin collection - nil. They still haven't gotten any new pins at the Bay or Zellers here in Kelowna.

Thanks for this list. I was looking at the Landmark series pins and noticed the train one. I zoomed in on it and realized it's a weird red blob rendering of the Royal Hudson. What's sad is, for anyone that is a train fan, looks like the Hudson won't see much service as CN doesn't like mainline steam loomotives on their track (well our track actually, but you know, its CN). It definitely won't go back to the days when the Hudson was running 5 days a week from North Vancouver to Squamish. I'm suprised that there's a pin featuring the locomotive. It looks like the Hudson is pretty much going to stay in the vicinity of the West Coast Railway Heritage Park in Squamish, which is run by the West Coast Railway Association unfortunately. If anyone is interested in seeing the Royal Hudson steamed-up and giving very short rides there is a special event happening at the railway park this Saturday. Check out the link for more info:

http://www.wcra.org/hudson/steam-day.html

As for any new acquisitions to my pin collection - nil. They still haven't gotten any new pins at the Bay or Zellers here in Kelowna.

I totally agree with your sentiments. It is really sad our treatment of our steam heritage in Canada. Many of our steam locomotives are running in the USA! I don't understand the attitude in this country, especially a country that was built on the railroad. Engine 374 was allowed to sit out in the elements for years, rusting and being vandalized! So, very sad.

If it were not for all the donations and many, many hours of volunteer work on the Royal Hudson, she would not be running again today. Why the government did not help with the restoration is beyond me ... the Royal Hudson was making money on that route. Steam enthusiasts from around the world were coming to ride on her. If this was the USA she still would be running 5 times a week! It is really pathetic.

As for the Bay, that is another pathetic situation. The ladies that work in the Olympic shop at the Bay in downtown Vancouver have been trying fro some time to get more pins in that store. They have to send customers across the street to London Drugs where they have a large rack containing, with the exception of the very latest pins, most of the pins from the beginning! The Bay keeps promising to bring in more, but they still have that pathetic few that were issued at the start.

"As for any new acquisitions to my pin collection - nil. They still haven't gotten any new pins at the Bay or Zellers here in Kelowna."

SkiFreak ... check the Bay in Kelowna again. HBC in downtown Vancouver just got in a larger selection of 2010 pins, including one of the new ones just released (XXI Vertical).

For those living in Vancouver ... the Grand Maple on Robson has soeveral of the new releases. Hudson House in Gastown will be getting ALL the new releases, tomorrow or Friday ... a total of 26 new pins, including 12 new landmark pins, 2 new logo pins, 7 new holiday pins, 3 more XXI pins, 1 winter sports pin, 1 new iconic pin.

I was talking to one of the ladies in the Bay's Olympic shop today ... Artiss Aminco is bringing out a pin book that will list all the pins currently in release ... it will have a small box with each item so you can check off each one as you get it. The book will be free of charge. It should be available some time in the next week or so.

SkiFreak ... check the Bay in Kelowna again. HBC in downtown Vancouver just got in a larger selection of 2010 pins, including one of the new ones just released (XXI Vertical).

Bob...guess what? I went into the local London Drugs today (our's is in a big disarray right now as its being renovated and expanded) and mixed in with the Halloween costumes and decorations was a 2010 Pin stand! We finally got them. I wanted to get a whole bunch but unfortunately I'm unemployed right now and looking for work. I did get one. I got the Countdown 2010 - 3 Years To Go pin. It looks like they had a majority of the pins there except for holiday pins. The only holiday pin I saw was Canada Day 2007. I'm gonnna check out our Bay in the next day or two to see if they have anything new. Finally! Hopefully I can find work soon so I can get caught up on my pin collection. I foresee a whole lot of pins coming out before this year is over - with the revealing of the mascot. :)

only holiday pin I saw was Canada Day 2007.

If possible you should try to pick up that pin ... according to the Artiss Aminco pin sheets that pin is Sold Out! It is the only one I see on their sheets that is sold out. The only other one that I know of is the Olympic Store pin which was a LED pin.

If possible you should try to pick up that pin ... according to the Artiss Aminco pin sheets that pin is Sold Out! It is the only one I see on their sheets that is sold out. The only other one that I know of is the Olympic Store pin which was a LED pin.

Thanks for the heads-up Bob. I may pick-up two or three of those if they are sold out. It I remember correctly there were a few of those on the rack. i'd like to get more, but not until I get a job.

I went to our Bay and of course they still haven't got any new pins. Even the displey of 2010 merchandise is kind of pathetic. I went over to London Drugs and saw that they had three Canada Day '07 pins so I bought two of them.

Something I noticed at London Drugs, some of the pins that came out in the initial release were put on new cards. So if you have any of those pins on their original cards and still sealed in the original plastic, are they worth a little more than the ones on the new cards?

I went to our Bay and of course they still haven't got any new pins. Even the displey of 2010 merchandise is kind of pathetic. I went over to London Drugs and saw that they had three Canada Day '07 pins so I bought two of them.

Something I noticed at London Drugs, some of the pins that came out in the initial release were put on new cards. So if you have any of those pins on their original cards and still sealed in the original plastic, are they worth a little more than the ones on the new cards?

Today I checked the 3 major pin dealers, Hudson House in Gastown, Grand Maple on Robson, and London Drugs (downtown) ... all were sold out of the Canada Day '07 pin.

The Bay isn't doing a very good job of marking the pins. They should make more available on their website ... if you order them through the website and pick them up at your local Bay there are no shipping charges.

As for the packaging ... maybe someone would offer more, but some how I doubt it would be anything significant.

• 2 weeks later...

I got a couple of new pins in the mail today from Bell:

Pins_2010_Sponsorship_Bell.jpg

I wasn't expecting them as they must've still had my request for pins from last year in a database. Nice pin and I think they are the nicest that they released yet, being the first company that released a sponsorship pin when the 2010 logo was revealed. If anyone wants their address, if I recall, I contaced them through their website via email.

A Free Guide Booklet "Vancouver 2010 Officially Licensed Lapel Pins" has now been released by Artiss Aminco. It should be available at most official dealers. It has a small photo, description and number for each pin released so far. There is also a small box to check off each pin purchased.

According to the booklet, "It is estimated that nearly 1000 different retail pins will be produced"!!! Holy crap, I cannot afford that many pins ... I am going to have to start to get very selective!!!

New pins coming this year ... New Sport Discipline Series, Mascots, Pewter Series, Heritage Series.

Go to www.artissaminco.ca to check for new releases.

take a loan for $10,000+. sell it all in 25 years for triple.

The 1000 are just retail pins. I wonder how many pins companies such as Coca Cola or international media outlets such as NBC are going to release. Coke will proably have some pins available exclusively through special offers like the one they had going for Torino where you get a free pin with the purchase of Powerade at Petro Canada stations. I stocked up on a bunch of these pins but was sick of drinking Powerade after. ;)

Guys - there will be thousands of pins produced for the games and you will basically get completly overwhelmed by the different quantity available.

It is IMPOSSIBLE to start collecting them all. Best way to go ahead is choose something that you like and collect the series -

Example

Anything with the venues on them

All logo pins

All Mascot pins

Olympic Store pins

Athlete / NOC pins

TOP Sponsor pins

Domestic Sponsor pins

Dont get sucked in with the Holiday and Countdown and Christmas and St patricks day and opening of an envelope day pin.

Some priority pins would be ...

1. Limited edition pins

2. Canada Day pins ... they tend to sell out each year

3. Opening & Closing Ceremony pins ... always tend to be in big demand

I will also be giving priority to the following ...

1. Mascot pins

2. Flag pins

3. Sporting Event pins

4. Countdown pins

5. Venue pins

I will also be trying to complete current series such as the Landmark series

By the way, they left 1 pin out of the booklet ... it was a vertical pin, originally numbered 6018 featuring a maple leaf/torch logo beside "2010" with the Canadian flag below.

By the way, they left 1 pin out of the booklet ... it was a vertical pin, originally numbered 6018 featuring a maple leaf/torch logo beside "2010" with the Canadian flag below.

Is this the pin?

Pins_2010_16.jpg

Collector's corner: coins, pins

Vancouver Sun

Published: Monday, October 15, 2007

WHAT: Calgary 2010 bid pin

VALUE: $20

HISTORY: You couldn't blame them for trying. Calgarians who had witnessed the wildly successful 1988 Winter Games had understood what the Olympics could bring to their city. So in the spring of 1998, just a decade after it had held the last Games, the Calgary Olympic Development Association mounted a domestic bid for 2010. It was one of three cities -- the others being Quebec and Vancouver -- that sought support from the Canadian Olympic Association, as the Canadian Olympic Committee was then known. In some ways, Calgary made a lot of sense: the venues were built and wouldn't need massive upgrades, and the city had shown it had the necessary Olympic booster spirit.

But the International Olympic Committee has rarely returned an Olympic Games to a host city -- the 2002 Summer Games in Athens being the most recent example -- and the COA, which had lost a bid for Toronto to host the 2008 Summer Games, didn't want to tempt fate by offering a re-run bid for Calgary. Instead, on Dec. 1, 1998 they opted for Vancouver, and the rest is history. Calgary produced at least two bid pins for its domestic bid. This one, a rectangle tack-back pin, has a paper design covered by a plastic bubble. Like most bid pins, it's moderately difficult to find and now resides mostly in the hands of pin traders.

© The Vancouver Sun 2007