Vancouver 2010 pins

SkiFreak

Here's one to keep an eye out for: the Pacific Pin Club released a special 2010 pin back in 2004. There's a photo on this site:

http://pinz.tomskot.com/vancouver_2010.htm

I went to my local Bay to see if they got anything new, and of course they didn't. Same old pins from the initial release. :angry:

Hi, I was lucky enough to stumble across this thread while looking to start a 2010 pin collection. So far I have followed your suggestions and am getting pins from GM Canada and Bell. I did manage to get a response from McDonald's (sorry no pins) maybe next year).

Thank you for your interest in McDonald's and our sponsorship of the

Olympic Games.

McDonald's is proud to be the Official Restaurant of the Olympic Games,

serving athletes, coaches and spectators a menu of choice and variety

and a familiar taste of home.

While we are not offering Olympic Pins this year, we will share the fun

and excitement of the games with all of our customers around the world

through special restaurant promotions and Olympic-themed advertising and

packaging. We also encourage you to log onto the Sports section of our

web site www.mcdonalds.com <http://www.mcdonalds.com> to learn about

the other ways we are supporting this year's Olympic Games.

Once again, thank you for contacting McDonald's.

Nancy

McDonald's Customer Response Center

I have also heard from HBC and the City of Vancouver and they currently do not have a supply of pins to send out to collectors. I am waiting to hear back from all of the other sponsers. If anyone has an extra Olympic Store Shopping Bag Pin I would love to buy or trade you for it. Please send me an email. It is hard getting pins down here in Atlanta.

Thanks everyone for helping me get started! I hope to attend my second Olympics in 2010.

Chris

I went to my local Bay to see if they got anything new, and of course they didn't. Same old pins from the initial release. :angry:

I have spoken many times to a couple of ladies who run the Olympic shop in the downtown Vancouver. They are not at all happy about the pin situation there. They have been promised a better selection for some time but it just has not happened. They have to send their customers across the street to LONDON DRUGS who have most of the pins so far released!

Thanks for the info on the Pacific Pin Club 2010 pin.

Bob

• 2 weeks later...

New sponsor pins showed up on Radar's website. They are: a 2nd Teck Cominco pin that has both Vanoc and Paralympic logos, a pin from Vincor Canada, two pins from Workopolis, and a pin from Nortel.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm getting one in the mail from Visa. I actually was sent one already but all that arrived was a letter in a torn envelope, the pin fell out in transit somewhere. I e-mailed the guy that sent the letter and he e-mailed me back the next day saying he's sending another one. I'll post a pic when I get it.

I notice that some people have commented on how hard it is to get some of the retail Vancouver 2010 pins. I could not agree more! Unless you are in Vancouver and can go to the mail HBC store - good luck! If you are having problems, this may interest you. If you join The Pacific Pin Club - go to www.pacificpinclub.org and fill out the membership form - you can get through the club most of the retail pins for $6.00 each. I will send you a couple of attachments of what pins have come out so far. There are 16 new pins coming out this month and the plans are in for two Halloween holiday pins plus the 2008 Christmas pins.

Actually HBC is the worst outlet to buy 2010 pins. They keep promising to get a better selection. They still have all the LED sets available. A limited number of pins are available on their website.

The best stores in Vancouver for 2010 pins are ...

London Drugs (Downtown) ... does not have LED sets ... the only store in Vancouver that has ALL the Whistler pins.

Hudson House (Gastown) ... has most of the pins issued so far including some LED pin sets (they will phone you when new pins come in)

Grand Maple Gifts (on Robson) ... only sold out of a few pins (they also will phone you when new pins come in)

The Olympic Store (at VANC in East Vancouver) ... only have a limited number of pins, but do have 2010 pin bags

I'm getting one in the mail from Visa. I actually was sent one already but all that arrived was a letter in a torn envelope, the pin fell out in transit somewhere. I e-mailed the guy that sent the letter and he e-mailed me back the next day saying he's sending another one. I'll post a pic when I get it.

SkiFreak,

What e-mail or snail mail address did you use to contact VISA?

Bob

5 new retail pins were released on Wednesday ...

Red Toque, Leaf Toque, White Toque, Umbrella and XXI Cut Out.

Next week 10 new Vancouver Landmark pins will be released along with XXI Vertical!

All pins are and will be available at Hudson House in Gastown.

Short notice but if anyone can get up to Whistler on Saturday, it might be worthwhile.

Celebrate Pin Day in Whistler at the Vancouver 2010 Information Centre

Saturday August 11th, noon to 4pm

Come and see pin trading at play on the deck of the Vancouver 2010 Information Centre located in Whistler Village. It’s considered the unofficial sport of the Olympic and Paralympic Winter Games. There’s no special training or nutritional

requirements, no team uniforms or coaching yet it embodies the spirit of global

friendship.

"Pins are one of the most popular, accessible and collectible products associated with the Olympic Winter Games," said Dave Cobb, VANOC Senior Vice-President of revenue, marketing and communications. In 1896, when the Olympic Games were revived in Athens, pins were made of cardboard and were issued exclusively to athletes and journalists. Metal pins were

introduced at the 1900 Paris Games, with the earliest evidence of pin trading dating back to the 1924 Olympic Games when athletes began exchanging pins in the spirit of friendship. In 1988, the IOC officially recognized pins as Olympic Games

memorabilia, and it is estimated now that more than 30 million pins are traded at Olympic Games in Coca Cola Pin Trading Centres alone.

Please contact us with any questions 604-932-2010

Lizz_Kelly@Vancouver2010.com

Sara_Prowse@Vancouver2010.com

info@pacificpinclub.org

• 3 weeks later...

Here's the pin I received from Visa, I got two of these:

Pins_2010_Sponsorship_Visa.jpg

I thought they were going to have one with the 2010 logo, but it's just a generic sponsorship pin. They'll probably have more designs in the future.

Visa (Canada) can be contacted through their website.

Here's the pin I received from Visa, I got two of these:

I thought they were going to have one with the 2010 logo, but it's just a generic sponsorship pin. They'll probably have more designs in the future.

Visa (Canada) can be contacted through their website.

I am still hoping VISA will send me one. They acknowledged my e-mail on August 9th and said they were forwarding my request on to the appropriate area for further attention. However, I have yet to receive anything.

158 Olympic and Paralympic retail pins (with 11 more coming in 2 weeks)

7 Bid pins

12 Sponsor pins

3 Government pins

1 Pin Club pin

181 Total 2010 Olympic and Paralympic pins

put together must be worth thousands.