Image Of Madrid

Hi you all! It is a pleasure for me to join this forum :)

I'm European (Italian) and I'm completely sure that 2016 would not be our time to host again the Olympics. I lived in Madrid for years and now I'm back in Italy.

Having said that, I would like to know why does Madrid have such a bad image on all of you. I tracked the race on 2012 and, although the city had a great bid and a few options to host, I felt like many people outside Spain simply ignored its bid as it was just... "Madrid". Obviously the race was hard because it was London, Paris & New York (pretty much world-class cities) but... why are there so many people talking so bad about Madrid & Madrid options? It is the third city of Europe in terms of population and has plenty of things to offer.

Do you think the city has simply a problem of marketing? Is out there people still perceiving Madrid & Spain as a third-world country unable to host any major event?

Just trying to find here a great chance to discuss and to meet new people :)

Bye!

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Hi you all! It is a pleasure for me to join this forum :)

I'm European (Italian) and I'm completely sure that 2016 would not be our time to host again the Olympics. I lived in Madrid for years and now I'm back in Italy.

Having said that, I would like to know why does Madrid have such a bad image on all of you. I tracked the race on 2012 and, although the city had a great bid and a few options to host, I felt like many people outside Spain simply ignored its bid as it was just... "Madrid". Obviously the race was hard because it was London, Paris & New York (pretty much world-class cities) but... why are there so many people talking so bad about Madrid & Madrid options? It is the third city of Europe in terms of population and has plenty of things to offer.

Do you think the city has simply a problem of marketing? Is out there people still perceiving Madrid & Spain as a third-world country unable to host any major event?

Just trying to find here a great chance to discuss and to meet new people :)

Bye!

Ciao Cinderella,welcome!

your post is very reasonable.in this forum the majority of the people are from USA,Canada,UK and Australia and they have a distorted image of Madrid and Spain ,you can read that in a lot of posts...

Another reason for the attacks is because they see Madrid as a important rival against the american cities in the 2016 race (but they never will recognize that...,just see the answers to my post).

Bienvenida. :)

Hola!

Aunque seas italiana al vivir tantos años en Madrid supongo que sabrás español. Da gusto ver que una nueva persona se suma a nuestro selecto club de españoles. Yo tampoco estoy muy convencido de Madrid 2016, pero aún así lo defenderé a capa y espada. :)

Saludos desde Pamplona

It wasn't the city itself, it was some of the Madrid posters in this forum that made me wish that Madrid would lose. People were being downright rude, and often personal in their criticism against the other cities, and the most that comes into my mind was Ready For You - 2M12. Ugh, he REALLY made me want Madrid to lose. So, if you felt that way, my apologies, but people affect the way you think.

And nuto, Madrid is no rival for 2016. Not a chance in hell.

Hola Mikel! Hola Nuto!

Sí, hablo castellano, pero quiza no muy bien, no os fijeis mucho, jeje

Madrid doesn't seem to win in 2016 and I'm still really wondering why Ruiz-Gallardon has decided to try again so early. 2020 would have been much effective and three consecutives bids would seriously damage the image of the city as a great contender (see Istanbul).

Anyway, I will definitely support the city because I know that it really is a great potential host city. I wish that many people could have the opportunity to live (at least) one year in Madrid and understand many things that, from abroad, are impossible to catch. I definitely don't want to be rude, but it would be the only way to crack down some Anglo-American biased point of view about Spain.

Having said that, it will be hard to see Madrid lose one more time and see its image damaged again. Let's hope the race will not turn such dirty as the 2012 one.

Muchos besos, guapos!

Hola Mikel! Hola Nuto!

Madrid doesn't seem to win in 2016 and I'm still really wondering why Ruiz-Gallardon has decided to try again so early. 2020 would have been much effective and three consecutives bids would seriously damage the image of the city as a great contender (see Istanbul).

Anyway, I will definitely support the city because I know that it really is a great potential host city. I wish that many people could have the opportunity to live (at least) one year in Madrid and understand many things that, from abroad, are impossible to catch. I definitely don't want to be rude, but it would be the only way to crack down some Anglo-American biased point of view about Spain.

Having said that, it will be hard to see Madrid lose one more time and see its image damaged again. Let's hope the race will not turn such dirty as the 2012 one.

Muchos besos, guapos!

hola guapa,tu ayuda será útil aquí,como verás los ataques e insultos contra Madrid y España son casi diarios...

the rotation of continents is the great argument againts Madrid 2016,but if the 2014 WOG is PC,I think that we will have some chance...

I think that this race will be much dirty that the 2012 one...

It wasn't the city itself, it was some of the Madrid posters in this forum that made me wish that Madrid would lose. People were being downright rude, and often personal in their criticism against the other cities, and the most that comes into my mind was Ready For You - 2M12. Ugh, he REALLY made me want Madrid to lose. So, if you felt that way, my apologies, but people affect the way you think.

And nuto, Madrid is no rival for 2016. Not a chance in hell.

Hi Nykfan!

Well, that's the point... I mean: why? There are idiots everywhere, and we all know it. Why hating a city without even knowing it just because it has a fool supporter?

Anyway, I was not exactly talking about the posts... I really feel that Madrid & Spain is seen in a "ridiculous" way once you're in America or UK (even in France, maybe). Absolutely unknown in whole Asia, for example... Why do you think it happens? A lack of Marketing? A lack of attractions?

What does the world think about Spain, really? That's what I meant ;)

Hola Mikel! Hola Nuto!

Muchos besos, guapos!

Welcome to this forum Cinderella.

I don't think anyone here is biased against Madrid as a potential Olympic host.Most people recognise it as a wonderful city that could host an Olympic Games as superbly as Barcelona did in 1992! The problem is that, as you mentioned in your post,2016 is probably going to be a bit too early for Madrid to try again as those Games seemed to be destined for a non-European city according to the informal rules of continental rotation.As you said,it may be better for Madrid to try again in 2020 or 2024.

Having said that,some posters here DO seem to be taking the issue of Madrid's candidacy for 2016 a little too personally and have regrettably descended into trading silly personal insults against each other and against Spain or the USA etc.Most of it is just said for effect,I'm sure!! :rolleyes:

However,I am curious as to why you think the 2012 race was a dirty one?

Welcome to Gamesbids.

I wouldn't worry too much about some of the comments about Madrid - I love Madrid, it's a wonderful city!

But, as an Olympic host I just think that Spain should wait a little while longer - Barcelona was only in 1992 - it has been a lot longer since the Summer Games were in France, Italy, Germany, Russia, Japan, Canada, etc... India, South Africa and Brazil have never held the Games.

My opinion on this isn't because it's Spain or Madrid, I'm also not very enthusiastic about yet another American Olympics so soon after Atlanta, I would prefer the US to wait longer too.

Hi Nykfan!

Well, that's the point... I mean: why? There are idiots everywhere, and we all know it. Why hating a city without even knowing it just because it has a fool supporter?

Anyway, I was not exactly talking about the posts... I really feel that Madrid & Spain is seen in a "ridiculous" way once you're in America or UK (even in France, maybe). Absolutely unknown in whole Asia, for example... Why do you think it happens? A lack of Marketing? A lack of attractions?

What does the world think about Spain, really? That's what I meant ;)

I didn't hate the city, I just wish that it would lose the bid. That and I was pulling for New York.

Welcome to this forum Cinderella.

I don't think anyone here is biased against Madrid as a potential Olympic host.Most people recognise it as a wonderful city that could host an Olympic Games as superbly as Barcelona did in 1992! The problem is that, as you mentioned in your post,2016 is probably going to be a bit too early for Madrid to try again as those Games seemed to be destined for a non-European city according to the informal rules of continental rotation.As you said,it may be better for Madrid to try again in 2020 or 2024.

Having said that,some posters here DO seem to be taking the issue of Madrid's candidacy for 2016 a little too personally and have regrettably descended into trading silly personal insults against each other and against Spain or the USA etc.Most of it is just said for effect,I'm sure!! :rolleyes:

However,I am curious as to why you think the 2012 race was a dirty one?

Well, I completely disagree the IOC in awarding London. I don't think they contended fairly. But it's just a PERSONAL opinion... Please no one should feel offended by it. Also Paris and New York hardly attacked London, and the whole pro-Olympic community seemed to completely underestimated Madrid & Moscow, as they were not world-class city. It became a dirty exchange of words between the three most-known cities in the world and the Olympic spirit didn't seem to have any weight at all.

Anyway, this is not 2012 :) Let's hope we will have a wide-range intercontinental race, as this would become a great fun for all!

Hey Cinderlla.....I know people like myself come across as being "anti-Madrid" or whatever...but it isn't that at all...Madrid is by far one my favorite cities in the world (my trip this year was excellent)....and quite honestly I would not have mind at all if they had won 2012....2016, with or without the results of the 2014 race will NOT be going to EUROPE...and unfortunately for Madrid last time I checked they are on that continent....but next time it is Europe's turn I'll wish them all the best of luck, but until then I believe some like Mikel, Nuto need to put aside their national pride and see the fact that Madrid 2016 is extremely unlikely to happen, and that the city really isn't a "rival" to anyone in actually winning the race...hope that clarifies things a bit

Welcome to Gamesbids.

I wouldn't worry too much about some of the comments about Madrid - I love Madrid, it's a wonderful city!

But, as an Olympic host I just think that Spain should wait a little while longer - Barcelona was only in 1992 - it has been a lot longer since the Summer Games were in France, Italy, Germany, Russia, Japan, Canada, etc... India, South Africa and Brazil have never held the Games.

My opinion on this isn't because it's Spain or Madrid, I'm also not very enthusiastic about yet another American Olympics so soon after Atlanta, I would prefer the US to wait longer too.

Hi Stu! :)

Well, I could'nt agree more with you in hoping India, South Africa or Brazil to hold the Games. Even Argentina, Chile, and (why not?) Kenya in a not-so-far future. I also agree that Spain is not such a mass-sportive country in order to repeat to hosts in just 24 years... but well, it's 24 years! :) Time enough to revalidate its own success.

My home country, Italy, would also deserve another chance to host, as Germany or Russia or all the others you mentioned. But I was not exactly talking about this. I'm worried in the way Madrid is always understimated as a world-class city. I feel there's a complete ignorance about the city outside the borders of Spain (well... to be fair, there's also certain ignorance about Madrid INSIDE Spain)

Hey Cinderlla.....I know people like myself come across as being "anti-Madrid" or whatever...but it isn't that at all...Madrid is by far one my favorite cities in the world (my trip this year was excellent)....and quite honestly I would not have mind at all if they had won 2012....2016, with or without the results of the 2014 race will NOT be going to EUROPE...and unfortunately for Madrid last time I checked they are on that continent....but next time it is Europe's turn I'll wish them all the best of luck, but until then I believe some like Mikel, Nuto need to put aside their national pride and see the fact that Madrid 2016 is extremely unlikely to happen, and that the city really isn't a "rival" to anyone in actually winning the race...hope that clarifies things a bit

Hi SOlympiadsW! :)

Yes, you're completely right. Isn't Europe's time and seeing Europe hosting in 2016 would astonish me A LOT. But the race is just starting... I sincerely feel very surprised as I read the way you write. You look so sure.

I think the national pride is cool. It's part of every race, actually. You look also pride of your country yourself. Is it bad? The argues you have with Mikel and Nuto are just because I'm afraid you don't understand the Spanish deep & ironic sense of humour and feel attacked in your own pride.

The question is that all of us are able to say whatever we want and, as far as I'm concerned, I didn't read a post from Mikel nor Nuto insulting or being rude (I will say it again: as far as I'm concerned). On the other side, I actually did read some posts from you telling them to "stop saying" or "stop acting". There's no need for it :) Just enjoy the discuss! Just my opinion, anyway!

Well, I could'nt agree more with you in hoping India, South Africa or Brazil to hold the Games. Even Argentina, Chile, and (why not?) Kenya in a not-so-far future. I also agree that Spain is not such a mass-sportive country in order to repeat to hosts in just 24 years... but well, it's 24 years! :) Time enough to revalidate its own success.

My home country, Italy, would also deserve another chance to host, as Germany or Russia or all the others you mentioned. But I was not exactly talking about this. I'm worried in the way Madrid is always understimated as a world-class city. I feel there's a complete ignorance about the city outside the borders of Spain (well... to be fair, there's also certain ignorance about Madrid INSIDE Spain)

Yes, you're completely right. Isn't Europe's time and seeing Europe hosting in 2016 would astonish me A LOT. But the race is just starting... I sincerely feel very surprised as I read the way you write. You look so sure.

I think the national pride is cool. It's part of every race, actually. You look also pride of your country yourself. Is it bad? The argues you have with Mikel and Nuto are just because I'm afraid you don't understand the Spanish deep & ironic sense of humour and feel attacked in your own pride.

The question is that all of us are able to say whatever we want and, as far as I'm concerned, I didn't read a post from Mikel nor Nuto insulting or being rude (I will say it again: as far as I'm concerned). On the other side, I actually did read some posts from you telling them to "stop saying" or "stop acting". There's no need for it :) Just enjoy the discuss! Just my opinion, anyway!

olé mi niña,tu si que sabes...no sabes como me alegro de tu llegada a este foro!!

Benvenuta Cinderella!

it doesn't seem to me that someone here biased Madrid as a city.. we all know it's a modern and well provided city with a great trasport system and one of the most vibrant in Europe.. it could hosts everything it would..

but personally I don't like so much the look of this city compared to whose of the other main european cities (included many other spanish cities) and we can't ignore the fact there are many other euro and world countries which hasn't hosted the summer games since a long time.

Benvenuta Cinderella!

it doesn't seem to me that someone here biased Madrid as a city.. we all know it's a modern and well provided city with a great trasport system and one of the most vibrant in Europe.. it could hosts everything it would..

but personally I don't like so much the look of this city compared to whose of the other main european cities (included many other spanish cities) and we can't ignore the fact there are many other euro and world countries which hasn't hosted the summer games since a long time.

Caro Rei :)

I don't want to compare. Clearly Paris, Barcelona, Prague, Rome, Stockholm, Amsterdam... are much pretty than Madrid talking about urbanism or architecture. But its beauty isn't in its buildings... is much deeper. As in Athens.

I would also love see other countries hosting before Spain (old & new frontiers). The main point of this topic was just to give some fresh air over the bad image that Madrid seems to have, which I think it's completely unfair.

olé mi niña,tu si que sabes...no sabes como me alegro de tu llegada a este foro!!

Hagamos frente comun contra las injusticias, amigo! But let's not be rude... there's no need ;)

if you honestly don't think any of the Madrid supporters (especially Mikel) have said anything offensive on here, you really have to take a closer look at everything.....and no, I and others do not let our national pride prevent us from seeing MAJOR facts in a race, such as that which makes Europe's chances for 2016 next to nothing

Hi Cinderella! Welcome to this forum... :)

I think you misinterpreted the whole problem.

I've been here for a while (like 2 years or something like that) and I haven't read much posts about Madrid being a second class city or things like that.

I can tell you that in 2012 I wanted Paris to win, or even Madrid. Im from Mexico and I have been in 4 of the 5 cities from the 2012 candidates, and Madrid is wonderful as it is; there's no wrong idea of the beautiful Madre Patria as a city I wouldnt choose to host the Olympics at any time; I would love to!

The only thing now is that we have to keep it realisitic! Madrid doesnt have a single chance of winning because London will host 2012!!!!!!! Theres no chance for a european city to win four years later! You all have to realized this!!

It's like thinking (sorry if I hurt anyones feelings by saying this) that Monterrey will host the 2016 Olympics.....thats not happening!.....Although I love my city (yes, I live in Monterrey) I know that Monterrey can't host until like 2020 or so. I just have to compare my city to the ones that want to bid: Chicago (I've been there for almost one third of my life), Tokyo (one of the top 4 in the world) and the ones that wanted to host 2012 (Paris, Madrid, NYC!!).

Again, I love your and my city :P but we cant host 2016. Thats it.

I'm worried in the way Madrid is always understimated as a world-class city. I feel there's a complete ignorance about the city outside the borders of Spain (well... to be fair, there's also certain ignorance about Madrid INSIDE Spain)

You're right. People here don't know even their capital city and prefere Barcelona. But I visited the city last summer and I totally fell in love with it. My father is French-descendant and my mother Italian-descendant. I've been living in Paris and I hate that city, but Madrid is different. People inside Spain and abroad say Madrid isn't as beautiful as Madrid. First, Barcelona and Paris aren't better for me. Second, London and Rome are as great as Madrid but each one in its way. Third, Lisbon, Amsterdam and Brussels aren't half great as Madrid. B)

Many people say: Oh, Versailles. But Versailles is a shitty palace without any furniture. The Royal Palace, downtown Madrid, is double bigger and is totally furnitured. The Champs-Elysées in Paris are very well-known. But I've been in other streets in Europe and they're as chic or more chic than les Champs-Elysées (e.g. Oxford Street, Paseo de la Castellana, Calle Serrano or The Mall).

The people also love the Louvre Museum, but I haven't seen a worst museum in all my life. The darkness is total. The pictures are in total disorder. The Gioconda/Monna Lisa is a small picture with a lot of Japanese people taking photos of it. The British Museum and the Prado Museum are FAR better. People will get surprised if they know the quantity of WELL-KNOWN picture the Prado has. Rembrandt, Velázquez, Goya, Murillo, Rubens and so on. The Louvre only has the fame, nothing more.

Then you have the "chic" streets around l'Elysée with expensive shops. But, has anyone being in the Salamanca neighbourhood of Madrid? The prices in Serrano Street aren't for "normal people".

The only special thing Notre-Dame has is the front, the towers and the gargoyles. If you want to visit shocking cathedrals you'll have to visit the ones in London, Cordoba, Sevilla, Toledo and Salamanca.

I really liked Madrid a lot but don't know it as well as Paris or London because I only spent a short amount of time there, whereas I spent a number of years in the other two. I have to say that Paris is so beautiful, I loved living there, just walking through the streets was often awe inspiring and even after a year there were charming little streets and squares that one would stumbled upon completely by accident - I loved walking around Paris.

I still prefer living in London though, despite being a lot more expensive, there is also a wider range of things to do. Wherever one is in Paris it's obvious that it's Paris, whereas, in London each different area has a completely different atmosphere and appearance from the next - South Kensington and Chelsea are totally dissimilar from Camden Town which isn't anything like leafy Wimbledon or cosmopolitan Brixton. The cultural diversity of London makes it such an interesting place to live - there's never a shortage of different things to do or different people to meet.

Mikel, I agree with you about the Louvre too, it's a great museum but there's too many different kinds of art within the same room - furniture, sculpture and paintings altogether and all of different periods. I do prefer having separate locations for each genre of the arts - The National Gallery for paintings, The British Museum for historical artifacts, etc..... the national collections often have free entry here too (although contributions are welcomed) this means that I can go and see things whenever the mood takes me - it surprised me in Paris that even French citizens have to pay to see their own art.

I really liked Madrid a lot but don't know it as well as Paris or London because I only spent a short amount of time there, whereas I spent a number of years in the other two. I have to say that Paris is so beautiful, I loved living there, just walking through the streets was often awe inspiring and even after a year there were charming little streets and squares that one would stumbled upon completely by accident - I loved walking around Paris.

I still prefer living in London though, despite being a lot more expensive, there is also a wider range of things to do. Wherever one is in Paris it's obvious that it's Paris, whereas, in London each different area has a completely different atmosphere and appearance from the next - South Kensington and Chelsea are totally dissimilar from Camden Town which isn't anything like leafy Wimbledon or cosmopolitan Brixton. The cultural diversity of London makes it such an interesting place to live - there's never a shortage of different things to do or different people to meet.

Mikel, I agree with you about the Louvre too, it's a great museum but there's too many different kinds of art within the same room - furniture, sculpture and paintings altogether and all of different periods. I do prefer having separate locations for each genre of the arts - The National Gallery for paintings, The British Museum for historical artifacts, etc..... the national collections often have free entry here too (although contributions are welcomed) this means that I can go and see things whenever the mood takes me - it surprised me in Paris that even French citizens have to pay to see their own art.

I prefer London to Paris. Paris is just too arrogant, they think they're the best, but hey, London exists.

When I visited London (and I was only 3 days) I also fell in love with the city, NYCD2012 <_< It was just amazing. Knightsbridge with its chic shops, Trafalgar Square (I didn't imagine it was so big!), Camden Town's market with these strange people :lol: . It was also funny, because the UK is VERY different in all the things: buses, telephone boxes, roads, taxis... It was so great!

Paris is a city to see a weeked and then return home. Half of my family lives there and I go to Paris frequently, but I don't like it.

Archived