Image Of Madrid

quick question about Madrid's bid...from the latest article it sounds like the SOC may be entertaining bids from other cities as well....do you think this is true, and if so what cities?...Seville?

Well, I'm sure they'll go through the motions of opening up, but really the best shot by far is Madrid, especially after its 2012 performance. It would be interesting, though, if Valencia or Sevilla or someone decides to put up a counter plan with an eye to the future _ if Madrid doesn't win 2016 (which is likely) such an outsider might be able to snatch the Spanish candidacy for 2020.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply
quick question about Madrid's bid...from the latest article it sounds like the SOC may be entertaining bids from other cities as well....do you think this is true, and if so what cities?...Seville?

Seville don´t think in news bids,only Valencia said something about bids in the future,but is not very serious...

• 7 months later...

Well, Valencia could be a long shot IF Madrid wasn't on the race, because of the America's Cup being hosted nowadays as the major event organized by the Ciudad del Turia. In any case, I can't see any other Spanish city in the race before Madrid. Much before Lisbon...

Well, Valencia could be a long shot IF Madrid wasn't on the race, because of the America's Cup being hosted nowadays as the major event organized by the Ciudad del Turia. In any case, I can't see any other Spanish city in the race before Madrid. Much before Lisbon...

Valencia could host the sailing venue in the Madrid 2016 bid.

welcome again Cinderella !

Valencia could host the sailing venue in the Madrid 2016 bid.

welcome again Cinderella !

Except I think the 'no-wind' days will be a liability. The winds have to be 'very predictable' w/in the 2-week period of an Olympic Games.

Actually, yes, I think they should add Valencia as the 'sailing venue.' I endorse it!! B)

What about canarias? Didn't they opt for it?

Santa Cruz de Tenerife (Canary Islands) want it,but is too far away...I think that Valencia is the best option (with wind,I hope:)).

the only factor in favour of the Canary Islands is the "african" factor.

What about canarias? Didn't they opt for it?

The Canary Islands are 2 hours away by plane!! Although there are good transport communicantions between the archipelago and the peninsula because there are airports in 5 islands of the 7 biggest, one of them (Tenerife Sur- Reina Sofia International Airport being one of the biggest in Spain).

The Canary Islands are 2 hours away by plane!! Although there are good transport communicantions between the archipelago and the peninsula because there are airports in 5 islands of the 7 biggest, one of them (Tenerife Sur- Reina Sofia International Airport being one of the biggest in Spain).

I can't see why Spain should spot the Canary Islands for sea events having that deep & prestigious venues such as Palma, Barcelona or Valencia. The African point is just ridiculous...! Try telling some islanders to be african and you'll be kicked in your a*s until you fall in the Sahara on your fours... ;)

Except I think the 'no-wind' days will be a liability. The winds have to be 'very predictable' w/in the 2-week period of an Olympic Games.

Actually, yes, I think they should add Valencia as the 'sailing venue.' I endorse it!! B)

Oh, come on, Baron... :) Will the windy city guarantee that period too without any risk of failure? That kind of unpredictable weather is unpredictable. Valencia really is a windy city.

ya but it was your NOC which made the purpose.. not me!

is not true,the spanish NOC never said nothing about the Canary Islands.was the Santa Cruz de Tenerife council...is only one of the posible venues.the favorite is Valencia.

ya but it was your NOC which made the purpose.. not me!

The Spanish NOC has not said anything about going to the Canary Islands... In fact, we can also use the 'African point' with Ceuta or Melilla, they're Spanish and they're in the African coast, so... And what about Málaga or Marbella, they have very luxurious ports! (The yatch of the Saudi King is there)

• 2 weeks later...
The Spanish NOC has not said anything about going to the Canary Islands... In fact, we can also use the 'African point' with Ceuta or Melilla, they're Spanish and they're in the African coast, so... And what about Málaga or Marbella, they have very luxurious ports! (The yatch of the Saudi King is there)

We'll have a very detailed, defined Olympic bid in September. Seems like Mercedes Coghen is really working hard on the design of the bid. Many of the inaugurations of recent months in Madrid are directly related to 2016 bid, such as the bike tracks around the city, subway station at eastern area of Madrid (Cosalada) including the station of the Peineta Stadium and Olympic Village... I feel surprised about how serious it is for Madrid'16 to start working from now on with such a high level of commitment. For me (and I guess for the others), Copenhaguen 2009 is really far away... Do they risk to burn out really soon?

Archived