The Ioc Sessions

The election of Atlanta as the host of the 1996 Centennial Olympic Games as it sits on the history books and records, per the IOC...

The True Facts behind the choice of Atlanta as the Excellent 1996 Host per the IOC

and not distorted by some unhappy Spaniards... :angry:

Move on, Mikel. It's not healthy for you, and you can't rewrite history. :D

The 'excellent & adorable capital of Georgia' was boosted by Samaranch and the votings weren't the fairest in the IOC Sessions history. See why the IOC members voted Athens one year after Atlanta, because they saw their BIG fault!

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The 'excellent & adorable capital of Georgia' was boosted by Samaranch and the votings weren't the fairest in the IOC Sessions history. See why the IOC members voted Athens one year after Atlanta, because they saw their BIG fault!

No; because Athens had humbled itself; was finally ready; and it was time to return to Europe going by the Continental rotation:

'92 - Europe (Barcelona)

'96 - No. America (Atlanta)

'00 - Others (Sydney)

'04 - Europe (Athens)

Simple; they were sticking to the Continental rotation rule.

No; because Athens had humbled itself; was finally ready; and it was time to return to Europe going by the Continental rotation:

'92 - Europe (Barcelona)

'96 - No. America (Atlanta)

'00 - Others (Sydney)

'04 - Europe (Athens)

Simple; they were sticking to the Continental rotation rule.

I think you are fully right, Baron. For '96, the centennial of OG, Athens was not ready, I went many times in Greece and, really, there was a mess, the international airport was smaller of a secondary and peripherical italian one, all the observers agreed on the critical situation there.

Many people said that vote for Atlanta was a present to Cocacola, but this is only an extremist radical point of view.

Cocacola dos not need an US Olympic city to sell its products, it was official sponsor of MOSCOW (at that time capital of comunist countries) and of all other OG.

I think that all the sponsor of OG don't take too much care of where OG are held, in any case they will sponsor the Games, in Athens, Sofia, Seoul or Capetown, as TV for the rights, they are not stupid: the BUSINESs is "OLYMPIC EVENT" itself, no matter of where, who participates ( within certain limit, obvious), with or without baseball or modern pentathlon in the sport programme.

The Continental rotation ........... Nowadays OG are too big event, cities are chosen because their capacity and authority in ensuring a well organized event, at a reasonable cost, environment, security, the post olympic use of venues......... How many countries can honestly ensure all these things to 10.500 competitors, 20.000 media reporters, 26 or 28 IFs, political and sport leaders...

I think that all the sponsor of OG don't take too much care of where OG are held, in any case they will sponsor the Games, in Athens, Sofia, Seoul or Capetown, as TV for the rights, they are not stupid: the BUSINESs is "OLYMPIC EVENT" itself, no matter of where, who participates

I've been saying that for a while - it doesn't seem to be sinking in with some people here.

I've been saying that for a while - it doesn't seem to be sinking in with some people here.

That's probably about 85% true. But I think any one of the TOP sponsors would be proud to have a 5-star event like the Olympics that they sponsor in their backyard mainly because they can squire around their important clients and guests in their hometown setting. Is that also so hard to see?

The election of Atlanta as the host of the 1996 Centennial Olympic Games as it sits on the history books and records, per the IOC...

The True Facts behind the choice of Atlanta as the Excellent 1996 Host per the IOC

and not distorted by some unhappy Spaniards... :angry:

Move on, Mikel. It's not healthy for you, and you can't rewrite history. :D

the election of Atlanta is well known...not only for the unhappy (why unhappy?,I´m very happy...) spaniards.

again I recommend you the book: "Olympic Revolution" (Pavilion,London 1992) of David Miller,Chief Sport Correspondent of "The Times",is very for understand the elections of the olympic cities and other aspects of the olympic world.

the election of Atlanta is well known...not only for the unhappy (why unhappy?,I´m very happy...) spaniards.

again I recommend you the book: "Olympic Revolution" (Pavilion,London 1992) of David Miller,Chief Sport Correspondent of "The Times",is very for understand the elections of the olympic cities and other aspects of the olympic world.

Yeah, yeah, yeah. It was well-documented in Fortune magazine as well. Since you are pushing this book, nuto, and I don't know where to get it -- do you want to send me a copy? ;)

Only if it's an autographed copy!! :lol:

Seriously, are u kidding? I wouldn't waste my money or time on his bio. Why would I do that? :blink:

no,I´m not kidding,is a good book with impartial information,for everybody who loves this question (olympic world) is very suggested.

if you want the copy of the spanish version I cand send it to San Francisco...just give me your adress

*.. some think that Sydney getings the games was a backlash towards Samaranch pushing Beijing to hard, but it happened again in 2008 and Beijing got them so that thought is dubious

I've read that the 1989 massacre in Tiananmen Square was still on the minds of some IOC members when they came to vote for the 2000 host in Monte Carlo in September 1993.It may well have been a factor in why Sydney pipped Beijing to the post in the final round of voting.Eight years later when the vote for 2008 was taken,those tragic events had receded much more into the past and Beijing was now given the benefit of the doubt much to the satisfaction of Samaranch and other Beijing supporters.

But questions about its human rights legacy continue to bedevil Beijing to this day even as the world is preparing to watch it stage the 2008 Olympiad in just two years' time!!

no,I´m not kidding,is a good book with impartial information,for everybody who loves this question (olympic world) is very suggested.

if you want the copy of the spanish version I cand send it to San Francisco...just give me your adress

Es verdad? OK, mira en su PM. Voy a poner mi direction alla.

It was a pity that his little tactics didn't fail in San Juan in 1989, when your 'adorable' Atlanta was proclamed host city of the horrible Centennial Games. Samaranch always try to boost your 'adorable' city and we see the result.

He also boosted Sydney for 2000 and we saw what a magnificent Olympics they were. And of course, Barcelona 1992.

And, one thing, can your remember the Budapest 1995 Session? His little tactics (that time related with money from a city of Utah) didn't fail, too.

So, don't come here talking about 'un-biased' votings... we have see a lot of un-biased votings, and not only Laussanne'86.

crap as usual Mikel....anyway back on topic Samaranch used BIASED and FASCIST like tactis to get his little way...but whatever, IT'S OVER....

crap as usual Mikel....anyway back on topic Samaranch used BIASED and FASCIST like tactis to get his little way...but whatever, IT'S OVER....

Yeah, as crap as you, baby ;) And I repeat, those "biased and fascist tactics" (as the ones from Bush) got the "glory" to Atlanta in 1989 (it should have been Athens) and Salt Lake City in 1995.

Yeah, as crap as you, baby ;) And I repeat, those "biased and fascist tactics" (as the ones from Bush) got the "glory" to Atlanta in 1989 (it should have been Athens) and Salt Lake City in 1995.

Uhmm, don't be foolish, mikel. The White House -- whoever is in power, does NOT get involved with the Olympic bids until the last minute when they are called upon to tape a message or that sort of thing. But the bids start with the city (Atlanta's bid was entirely home-based, started by the small-town lawyer, Billy Payne, and helped by the former US ambassador to the UN, Andrew Young (from the Jimmy Carter years), who called upon his contacts in Africa and Asia to win 1996 over Athens. And those so-called charges of Atlanta buying the election? :blink: How could that be? Mr. Payne, a real-estate lawyer, mortgaged his own house so that the start-up Committee could pay their bills -- and you think the Atlanta people had enough money to buy votes? Please. It's absurd. A small, grass-roots committee vs. the purse and power of the Greek gov't? :rolleyes:

Same thing with Salt Lake. And Salt Lake has been trying since 1950. So how can 'Bush' and the fascists (they're called the 'hawks' or the 'right wing' in the US) be involved with Salt Lake when they have been trying since 1950 (1st time for the 1956 Winter Games) to win? Besides, those 2 guys who started the winning Salt Lake bid were charged by OUR Justice Dept. with 'bribery' which was totally laughable because that's the way they do it in the IOC anyway. Anyway, a federal judge threw out those charges.

The point is, our people, the USOC, were not in a seat of power that Mr. Samaranch was, to sway and influence the IOC members one way or another. Mr. Samaranch was; and that was wrong. That's just like if a present-day Pope, with a limited term only, interfered and put pressure on the other cardinals to vote a certain way. That is 'interference' and 'manipulation.' Wrong whichever way you put it. Otherwise, why have the IOC or the College of Cardinals even vote? :blink:

fool..get over yourself...but whatever at least as I have said his reign of corruptio is over...too bad for Madrid :-(

fool..get over yourself...but whatever at least as I have said his reign of corruptio is over...too bad for Madrid :-(

of course,of course,the corruption is an invention and monopoly of mediterranean and latin countries.Is something unknown in USA or the Commonwealth countries... ;)

of course,of course,the corruption is an invention and monopoly of mediterranean and latin countries.Is something unknown in USA or the Commonwealth countries... ;)

who ever said that?...but again the IOC is better without his "influence"

who ever said that?...but again the IOC is better without his "influence"

I think the election of Rogge started a new era in IOC.

Setting aside now his faults or merits, he started a serious war against corruption and, until we have proof to the contrary, we already saw some results: many IOC resigned or have been expelled, and this with JAS didn't happen.

But ... let us not be naive, all powerful men cannot not use their influence, even with only a look..

Mmmm, who has said I like him? :huh: God, Virgin Mary, the Spanish King, who has said I like Juan Antonio Samaranch? <_<

PS. With Rogge there won't be more Atlantas or Salt Lake Cities, be sure of that. And see you in Tokyo 2016! ;) Madrid will have our Latinamerican friends in 2013, and you don't have count one thing: one of the Spanish IOC members is another Samaranch, his son :P

Mmmm, who has said I like him? :huh: God, Virgin Mary, the Spanish King, who has said I like Juan Antonio Samaranch? <_<

PS. With Rogge there won't be more Atlantas or Salt Lake Cities, be sure of that. And see you in Tokyo 2016! ;) Madrid will have our Latinamerican friends in 2013, and you don't have count one thing: one of the Spanish IOC members is another Samaranch, his son :P

yes there will be, and both a SOG and WOG in the US will be likely...yet another foolish thing from you...but you are a hot headed moron....anyway we are superb hosts for both events....unfortunately for Madrid even when it is their turn in 2020 there will be about a dozen other VERY qualified European cities ready to bid, and Samaranch won't be able to pull his crap anymore...again THE IOC IS BETTER WITHOUT HIS "INFLUENCE"...the only people that will lose from not having him there are those from Madrid

And see you in Tokyo 2016! ;) Madrid will have our Latinamerican friends in 2013, and you don't have count one thing: one of the Spanish IOC members is another Samaranch, his son :P

Ah, but you see, mikel -- if Rio and/or Monterrey make the short list, Madrid can kiss those votes goodbye. I think they would identify more with Rio and Monterrey than sending another Olympics back to Spain when the last one they had in their 'hood was in 1968; doncha think so? :blink:

As for JAS, Jr., I would lay low for awhile if I were him. Look, Baron Pierre's II and III are hardly known, but it's safe for me now to shine again and bring back honor to the de Coubertin name! B)

Archived