New Olympic Sports?

Sir Rols

• Replies 543
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 -- with the Best Designed Sweater/Uniform category!

ohhh - I forgot that....

...but I think something has been wrong in the calculation so far

mhhh - lets start:

BOOK - MALE

BOOK - WOMEN

BOOK - MIXED

BOOK - MALE - BEST DESIGNED SWEATER/UNIFORM

BOOK - WOMEN - BEST DESIGNED SWEATER/UNIFORM

BOOK - MIXED - BEST DESIGNED SWEATER/UNIFORM

MOVIE - MALE

MOVIE - WOMEN

MOVIE - MIXED

MOVIE - MALE - BEST DESIGNED SWEATER/UNIFORM

MOVIE - WOMEN - BEST DESIGNED SWEATER/UNIFORM

MOVIE - MIXED - BEST DESIGNED SWEATER/UNIFORM

SONG - MALE

SONG - WOMEN

SONG - MIXED

SONG - MALE - BEST DESIGNED SWEATER/UNIFORM

SONG - WOMEN - BEST DESIGNED SWEATER/UNIFORM

SONG - MIXED - BEST DESIGNED SWEATER/UNIFORM

SPORTS - MALE

SPORTS - WOMEN

SPORTS - MIXED

SPORTS - MALE - BEST DESIGNED SWEATER/UNIFORM

SPORTS - WOMEN - BEST DESIGNED SWEATER/UNIFORM

SPORTS - MIXED - BEST DESIGNED SWEATER/UNIFORM

well - that are 24!!!!

:P

How about dropping modern pentathlon and replacing with the ultimate olympic sport. 16 days, 16 events from 16 different disciplines. Always begin the event with the swimming leg, and end with the athletic run.

EXAMPLE;

DAY 1: 800m freestyle SWIMMING

2: Epee FENCING

3: ARCHERY

4: show jumping EQUESTRIAN

5: single sculls ROWING

6: floor exercises ARTISTIC GYMNASTICS

7: time trial ROAD CYCLING

8: Singles TENNIS (every athlete plays 4 matches of one set)

9: clay target SHOOTING

10: penalties FOOTBALL (each athlete has 10 penalty shots and goal keeps 10 penalties (1 point for goal; 1 for save)

11: kayak slalom CANOE/KAYAK

12: WEIGHTLIFTING

13: 3m springboard DIVING

14: BOXING (athletes would have to be paired with people of same/similar weight)

15: 3 point shootout BASKETBALL (before the men's final- each athlete gets 20 shots (1 point if in)

16: 3000m ATHLETICS (before the finish to the marathon in the olympic stadium)

How about dropping modern pentathlon and replacing with the ultimate olympic sport. 16 days, 16 events from 16 different disciplines. Always begin the event with the swimming leg, and end with the athletic run.

EXAMPLE;

DAY 1: 800m freestyle SWIMMING

2: Epee FENCING

3: ARCHERY

4: show jumping EQUESTRIAN

5: single sculls ROWING

6: floor exercises ARTISTIC GYMNASTICS

7: time trial ROAD CYCLING

8: Singles TENNIS (every athlete plays 4 matches of one set)

9: clay target SHOOTING

10: penalties FOOTBALL (each athlete has 10 penalty shots and goal keeps 10 penalties (1 point for goal; 1 for save)

11: kayak slalom CANOE/KAYAK

12: WEIGHTLIFTING

13: 3m springboard DIVING

14: BOXING (athletes would have to be paired with people of same/similar weight)

15: 3 point shootout BASKETBALL (before the men's final- each athlete gets 20 shots (1 point if in)

16: 3000m ATHLETICS (before the finish to the marathon in the olympic stadium)

Yeah, right. Didn't your fingers get tired typing this scenario? And what ACTUAL coach or athlete would you find to even consider this? :rolleyes:

• 3 weeks later...

I would still have liked to have seen Twenty20 Cricket as a demonstration sport in 2012 in London. It's exciting and if basebal doesn't make it back into the programme, it could prove to be a replacement... It will be an even more fast growing form of the sport by then.

It has more chance of becoming an Olympic discipline, or getting cricket back into the Commonwealth Games, than the 50 over version of the game. But, with the best will in the world, there is no way you can consider cricket a truly global sport and for that reason alone, it's still too early in my mind for Olympic Twenty20.

Plus, we're already using Lords for 2012.

I would still have liked to have seen Twenty20 Cricket as a demonstration sport in 2012 in London. It's exciting and if basebal doesn't make it back into the programme, it could prove to be a replacement... It will be an even more fast growing form of the sport by then.

Twenty20 Cricket means having a team w/ 20 members or more? Much as I am cottoning on to cricket -- or the few times I see it on TV and film (or at least the edited versions anyway), I don't think it will merit serious inclusion in the Olympic slate any time soon. I think any new sports that will be added have to be lean ones (i.e., requiring individual excellence rather than team composition) -- the reason being it's easier to sneak in a few talented individuals to the 10,500 athlete cap rather than say 12 teams of 20 members each -- so that alone would be adding another 240 athletes, for which u would have to take away a similar number from the other sports, to maintain the ceiling cap.

Twenty20 is a competition of matches of 20 overs per side, so the action is completed in around three hours, as opposed to some of the longer formats. It has been a great success up to now.

As in a recent episode of I forget now which "Masterpiece Theater" series it was, can cricket be played by coed teams? And how big must the teams be (w/ alternates and all)? Because that's one way of getting around the larger number of added athletes?

Also, would cricket truthfully fulfill the IOC criteria for 'summer sports' -- must be played in at least 35 countries (i.e., with a local cricket officially recogznied cricket federation -- and spread out over the 6 continents), etc.,etc.?

You might just about make a case, but only if you count all the Carribean countries separately and include all those that have played in the odd one tournament here or there, such as the USA in the 2004 Champions Trophy.

Same 11 against 11 game, with a tournament squad of 14 or 15 would probably do. That's what they had for the World Twenty20 earlier this month.

Also, would cricket truthfully fulfill the IOC criteria for 'summer sports' -- must be played in at least 35 countries (i.e., with a local cricket officially recogznied cricket federation -- and spread out over the 6 continents), etc.,etc.?

Baron - there are at least 96 members of the ICC (believe me, I counted them). Countries like Germany, France, Norway, Denmark, Netherlands, Italy, Spain, Ireland, USA, Canada, Greece, Argentina, Uganda (to name but a few) are represented in the World Cricket League, as well as the nations that you know of like Australia, South Africa etc...

Oh, I remember now which film it was that had a 'woman' joining in a man's game. It was the anti-Tarzan movie, BECOMING JANE (OK, it was the fictional Jane Austen film) wherein Jane runs in to bat, to help out her brother's team. So, could cricket field coed teams (which I don't see why curling couldn't do it) thereby making it easier to get in?

Oh, I remember now which film it was that had a 'woman' joining in a man's game. It was the anti-Tarzan movie, BECOMING JANE (OK, it was the fictional Jane Austen film) wherein Jane runs in to bat, to help out her brother's team. So, could cricket field coed teams (which I don't see why curling couldn't do it) thereby making it easier to get in?

I suppose it's theoretically possible, just as they couyld theoretically have co-ed baseball or football teams, but it doesn't really happen outside the realms of junior schools. There are professional Womens' Cricket Leagues, but again, they are separate from the mens' professional leagues.

Anyway, I couldn't see cricket in any of its forms making it to the Olympics. Commonwealth games, yes, it's a scandal it's not there, but the Olympics? No way.

Plus I've got my heart set of seeing Rugby 7s at the Olympics.

"Rocks - Paper - Scissors" should be an Olympic sport, or at least feature in the Youth Olympics as a demonstration sport.. lol!

LOL _ I actually posted a story where the International Rock Paper Scissors federation (believe it or not, tthere IS one!) were actually proposing that _ as a full sport in the Summer Games.

I have no hesitation in saying that's just ridiculous.

What about Twister (nude, in tribute to the ancient games) for the Olympics? Or is that just the same as Greco-Roman wrestling anyway?

• 2 weeks later...

It olooks like skateboarding has missed the cut:

Wheels fall off 2012 skateboard event

Matthew Beard, Sports News Correspondent

Attempts to introduce skateboarding to the London Olympics have failed, it emerged today.

The International Olympic Committee had been keen to boost the youth appeal of the 2012 Games by giving the sport its debut in London.

But plans for the International Cycling Federation to adopt skateboarding as a "wheel-based" sport have faltered.

The proposals did not even make the organisation's agenda at its recent annual congress in Germany.

It canvassed opinion among its federations around the world, but they failed to give their unanimous backing and without the endorsement of a current Olympic sport, skateboarding's chances were dead although it may feature as an "exhibition" event.

The federation remains in talks with the IOC about introducing an additional form of BMX for London.

The cycling sport will make its debut at next year's Beijing games but, by 2012, a "freestyle" discipline could be added.

Skateboarders have been divided over the idea of taking part in the Olympics. Some would have welcomed the exposure, others said it would lead to a conformity that should be anathema to the sport that grew out of the Californian surf craze.

Kevin Parrott, secretary of the UK Skateboarding Association, said there were concerns that its introduction was being rushed.

"It has taken a long time to get competitive skateboarding right - both in the tone and technical aspects. The timetable to include it in the London Olympics was clearly too tight."

An IOC spokeswoman said: "BMX freestyle would be easier to introduce, as it already exists as a sport in the programme."

Under IOC rules, the deadline for a completely new sport at London 2012 passed in 2005. A loophole exists for a sport to be introduced as a "discipline" if it is adopted by an existing Olympic sport. New disciplines for London must be agreed by 2009.

Evening Standard

Actually, an interesting explanation in that article. There seemed to be heaps of hype about skateboarding in the lead-up to the Guatemala City IOC session this year, and it was obvious there was a big push on to get it included. So this is how they planned to do it.

Honestly, the best thing to do is to include Skateboarding as a part of "Roller Sports", along whit speed inline skating. But ya, I guess we can just froget about skateboarding at the Olympics in 2012. I'm crossing my fingers for 2016.

This may be a little late but it sounds definitive:

Olympics to be reduced to 25 sports by 2020

Wednesday, 29 November 2006

The Olympics will be reduced from 28 sports to 25 by the time of the 2020 Games while the voting procedure to ensure sports’ Olympic status has been altered.

Following a two-day meeting in Kuwait, the IOC agreed that a majority of votes will be needed to bring in a sport compared to the current two thirds and the new system will come into affect next year.

The IOC said the changes would make the process of introducing new sports more exciting.

‘This will be more interesting for sports wanting to come in," said IOC Olympic Games executive director Gilbert Felli. ‘It will make the process less conservative and more flexible.’

The reduction in the number of sports in the Olympic line-up will be a gradual process. 2008 Beijing Games will be the last to feature a core of 28 sports as the decision had already been taken to remove baseball and softball from the London Games in 2012.

For the 2016 Games, the IOC will have a core of 26 with the possibility of introducing two more but by 2020 only 25 sports will feature.

The reduction in the number of sports with Olympic status is aimed at lessening the logistical cost of staging the Games, thus enabling a greater number of cities to viably bid to host the Olympics."

Very interesting. So, with a target of 25, whom else is up for the chop? And will those 25 follow the formula of a set of "core" sports and a number of optional ones to be chosen gamees by games? In which case, there's more than just one other sport facing the loss of their permanent Olympic status.

Very interesting. So, with a target of 25, whom else is up for the chop? And will those 25 follow the formula of a set of "core" sports and a number of optional ones to be chosen gamees by games? In which case, there's more than just one other sport facing the loss of their permanent Olympic status.

I think it'd be those that are venue-cost-heavy and logistically costing too much. My guesses: football (it seems nothing more than a junior tournament -- would help a Doha or a Dubai bid), yachting (should help future landlocked cities like Prague); and I dunno - field hockey? FH just seems like such an elite sport but requires a stadium all its own.

I have read again the Olympic Review article related to the Olympic Programme.

The article quoted here is misleading.

The facts are:

• London 2012 will feature 26 sports
  • the 2016 Olympic Games will feature a core of 26 sports - to be approved as a block by the Session - + 2 additional sports
  • for 2020 and on, there will be a core of 25 sports + up to three additional sports

I have read again the Olympic Review article related to the Olympic Programme.

The article quoted here is misleading.

The facts are:

• London 2012 will feature 26 sports
  • the 2016 Olympic Games will feature a core of 26 sports - to be approved as a block by the Session - + 2 additional sports
  • for 2020 and on, there will be a core of 25 sports + up to three additional sports

Thanks, that clarifies it a lot. Still, it means one sport is facing the cut, or at least being downgraded from a "core" sport. Have you heard any whispers about who's in danger?

• 3 weeks later...

Could rugby be voted in for 2016?

Link: World Games Website-> Rugby: From Maul To Maul

Beginning quote, but not seen in article itself: "IOC President Jacques Rogge, a former rugby player himself, looks at at the 15-a-side game after the 2007 World Cup ... and prior to the evaluation of sevens' next bid to become Olympic in 2016."

Archived