• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 543
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's August, a month of decision for the Lords (and one Lady) of the Rings.

In 11 days, the Executive Board of the International Olympic Committee will meet at IOC headquarters in Lausanne, Switzerland, to decide which two sports might be added to the Olympic Games in 2016.

The 15 members, 14 men and 1984 women's 400m hurdles gold medallist Nawal el Moutawakel, will recommend two of seven applicant sports to be part of 2016. The recommendations have to be approved by the full IOC session in October with a sport needing a two-thirds majority to make the final programme.

Cross off baseball and softball straight away. At Olympic level, they're single sex sports; they were played in Beijing last year; won't be in London and are unlikely to come back quickly. Major League Baseball's unwillingness to release the game's superstars for the Olympics doesn't help.

Karate's major problem is that Judo and Taekwondo are already in the Olympics. I doubt another martial arts sport will join them.

Despite my close affinity with golf, I can't see it making the cut. The format and eligibility criteria put up by the International Golf Federation are both too restrictive and non-inclusive. Fields of 60, based on world rankings and with an unlimited number of players from countries with two or more in the top 15, will lead to ridiculously unbalanced fields.

For instance, based on this week's world rankings, there'd be 24 Koreans and 19 Americans in the women's Olympic tournament, and competitors from just 12 countries. The men's field would have 25 Americans, 11 from Great Britain and only 16 countries represented. Despite the IOC's desire to have the world's sporting superstars, Tiger Woods will be 40 in 2016 and who knows what his star power will be by then.

Squash's big problem is its lack of televisual appeal. Huge progress has been made with glass courts and a coloured ball but the end result is it's a bit like ice hockey. It's darn hard to see the ball.

So that leaves rugby sevens and roller sports. I like the chances of both making it as medal sports. Sevens doesn't need a purpose-built facility. It can use the main stadium for two days between the opening ceremony and the start of the track and field programme.

It also offers real medal chances to smaller nations like Fiji and Samoa. This year's Sevens World Cup in Dubai was a huge success with big TV audiences, and the women's competition as popular as the men's. That's likely to be the most watched rugby event of the year.

Roller sports ticks all the boxes. A combination of speed skating and dancing events could do for the Summer Olympics what ice skating does for the Winter Games. There's tremendous TV appeal, young participants and, as with BMX racing and whitewater canoeing, there's a real sense of excitement about racing on in-line skates.

Of the 15 board members, only el Moutawakel and former Namibian sprint ace Frank Fredericks were born after 1960.

Despite the advanced middle age of most members, the IOC's recent decisions suggest they want sports with wide appeal to youth, a huge appeal on TV and the potential to improve the geographic spread of medals.

The 2016 host city won't be decided till October but I reckon we can get set to enjoy rugby sevens and roller sports at the 31st Olympiad.

NZ Herald

Actually, That's news to me. I didn't realise the Executive Commiittee would be making their sports recommendations in 11 days time. I always wondered if the 2016 bidders would have to address the new sports, or even have to make provision for all of them in Copenhagen.

I'm, I suppose, hopeful for Rugby 7s, but think it could have some strong competition from softball. I can't imagine they'd recommend more than one team sport, and softball's lobbying has been pretty good. I can't see baseball making it, so I'd say one spot will be between rugby 7s or softball.

As for the second, karate to me also is a martial art too much. Golf I just don't think belongs at the games. Squash I reckon has a good case, but I wouldn't be surprised to see roller sports recommended as the IOC marches on with its drive for "youth appeal".

Edited by Sir Roltel

I think the article is wrong, its a simple majority to get into the Olympics, not 2/3rds that was for 2012 and is why the format as been changed.

I don't think softball is back, I think it will be Rugby and Squash.

I think the article is wrong, its a simple majority to get into the Olympics, not 2/3rds that was for 2012 and is why the format as been changed.

I don't think softball is back, I think it will be Rugby and Squash.

Yeah, you're right, it is simple majority. The date is correct, though - the Exec Committee is meeting August 130-14 and recommending two sports.

• 2 weeks later...

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/amateur/story/200...new-sports.html

The EB will be looking not only at adding new sports, but also new events. Potential new events for the London Olympics are women's Boxing (5 events, 8 boxers per event), mixed doubles in Tennis and men's and women's 50m Breaststroke, Butterfly and Backstroke in Swimming.

And they should bring back the Track Cycling Kilo - a travesty to lose that event to BMX - even though BMX is a great addition. They also need to even up the gender split on track cycling - they wouldn't even need to add extra OV beds to do it!

Well then those sports feds (with exception of tennis i guess) will have to sacrifice other events to include new ones. Like the idea of mixed tennis provided it doesn't take up additional OV spaces.

No sacrifice, the sprints in swimming have the same athletes as the 100m so no extras, and for boxing the AIBA has agreed to a reduction in men's numbers.

Well, here is a more complete list of the requests:

http://www.ktvn.com/Global/story.asp?S=10884214

*Add Women's Boxing (5 events, 40 athletes, no overall changes in quotas)

*Add Mixed Doubles in Tennis (16 teams)

*Add Men's 800m Freestyle in Swimming

*Add Women's 1500m Freestyle in Swimming

*Add Men's and Women's 50m Butterfly, Breaststroke and Backstroke in Swimming

*Increase the numbers of teams in Women's Water Polo from 8 to 12 (52 additional athletes)

*Increase the number of teams in Synchronized Swimming from 8 to 12 (36 additional athletes)

*Add Free Combined Event in Synchronized Swimming

*Add Men's and Women's Freestyle BMX event

*Increase the women's share in Canoeing (don't have more specifics)

*Format change in Modern Pentathlon (combining Shooting and Running, Biathlon-style)

Unfortunately, I couldn't find a full list (17 IF made requests).

Well, here is a more complete list of the requests:

http://www.ktvn.com/Global/story.asp?S=10884214

*Increase the numbers of teams in Women's Water Polo from 8 to 12 (52 additional athletes)

*Increase the number of teams in Synchronized Swimming from 8 to 12 (36 additional athletes)

*Format change in Modern Pentathlon (combining Shooting and Running, Biathlon-style)

Unfortunately, I couldn't find a full list (17 IF made requests).

I would add:

Women's 500m individual canoe and two women 1000m canoe

Add the 8 swimming events, its not gonna make a huge change in number of athletes

And add women's boxing.

I like those changes.

Well, is it just me or is FINA quite hungry? They want nine new events, plus eight new teams. Anyway, here is my wish list:

* Add the 8 new swimming events (at least the men's 800m free and the women's 1500m free), shouldn't increase the number of athletes too much (at worst, they can increase qualification standards).

* Add women's Boxing, although 8 athletes per weight class is kinda lame.

* Increase number of women's Water Polo teams to 12.

* Add Mixed Doubled in Tennis (London is as good a place as any to add this, wouldn't require additional quotas)

Also, in my opinion, the Combine Routine should only be added as a replacement to the Team Event in Synchro Swimming.

As for Canoeing, women's Canoeing is in its infancy (it will be a demo event at the 2009 worlds and a full medal event at the 2010 worlds), so I doubt it will be in London. I wouldn't be surprised if the ICF decided to do a complete overhaul of its flat-water events.

If I was the IOC executive committee.

Swimming: Add the sprints and the distances

Water Polo: Add four women's teams

Boxing: Reduce the number of events from 11 to 8, add 8 women's classes

Canoe/Kayaking: Add 4 women's canoe events

Cycling: I personally think track cycling needs more then 10 events, it is a popular event so 16 should be there

Men's sprint, time trial, pursuit, team pursuit, team sprint, keirin, points race, madison and omnium and the same for women except scratch instead of madison.

Need add karate. Japan good karate so need add karate to make up giving Korea stupid crappy taekwondo with stupid judge and bad decision. Korea no deserve own Olympic sport.

Japan's got Judo. Be content with that.

My wishes:

Tick

Tick

Tick

Tick

Cross

Tick

Tick

Cross

Cross

Tick

Stupid

All of this talk about Golf, Rugby 7, SOftball, Squash, but I believe that some people are forgetting some of the other sports that just might be contenders if you just open your eyes!

Rollersports according to other critics is a very high contender. It is open to Male and Females, it is WORLD WIDE, it is accessible to most every person around the world, it already has a huge following, especially with the Europeans and now Asians as well as the North Americans. In South America this is a a national sport. Inline Speed SKating is how it should be clarified to bring the publics interest into this more but the presentations to the ED have been spectacular and appealing.

RollerSports or Rollerskating has been around since the early 1800's and there are currently included in World Games, Pan Am games, and many more Olympic Qualifying events. Many of the current Ice Speed Skaters are coming from Inline Roller skating. They are winners and world champions in Roller then transfer to ICE only because there is no Olympic game for Roller. If Included, I think that you will see one of the most exciting and challenging events that we have ever seen in the Olympic games. Already with even the smallest countries having participation in the World Championships, this year to be held in Haining China. To not include this sport would be unjust since already we have too many Martial Arts sports, Golf is not accessible to everyone and requires high costs to even learn or to play a single game for people, and when they speak of the stars like Tiger, he will be retired or a master by then and not really interested. They are using his name to try and get universal appeal, that is all. Secondly, the venue for GOLF, requuires extensive maintenance, or to build an olympic golf course it is still expensive, for the other sports, there are similar problems with ROllersports, the venue that is used for the marathon can be used for now until they include more extensive events such as track in which can be shared with the Cycling Velodrome as it is currently in many events. Baseball, Softball, they have all been tried before and did not work then what makes you think it will work now? that is strictly my opinion. THey are also costly venue wise and require large teams where ROllersports is an individual event for the most part with only events like a relay that is 3 persons being the only thing requiring any part of a team.

Take a good look at what we are referring to and take a good look at other sports besides the ones that we are passionate about and understand the other sports before you discredit an of them.

My pick would be Rollersports and Rugy 7.

Joe Hanna

Orlando, FL.

Apparently Rugby Seven & Golf would be the 2 ones...

Confirmation in a few seconds, but Rogge seems to be late....

Edited by memorabilia
Apparently Rugby Seven & Golf would be the 2 ones...

Confirmation in a few seconds, but Rogge seems to be late....

It's done

Women Boxing in 2012

And golf & Rugby 7s for 2016