New Olympic Sports?

Sir Rols

• Replies 543
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here is my outsider take on this:

Baseball: Steroid problem and its a male only sport. The only chance in hell it has is full backing from the MLB, which will certainly not happen before August. Out.

Softball: Still closely assisted whit Baseball (although the ISF wants to change that), no viable male equivalent. Could make it, but it would surprise me (certainly has more chance that Baseball, tough).

Squash: Has a good technical case when it comes to the number of athlete and the variety of where top players come from. However, the top circuit doesn't get nearly as much attention as Golf or Rugby 7s. Has a good chance.

Roller Sports: The sport doesn't appear to be well developed at high level, and the proposed qualification system is, well, funky (they expect the same athletes to take part in the 500m and in the Marathon...). Plus, Roller Speed Skating is similar to the two version of Speed Skating already at the Winter Games. Has a chance (don't forget they also govern Skateboarding) but they are outsiders right now.

Rugby 7s: The popularity of Rugby can't be argued whit, and now that women's Rugby seams to be a viable option it has a better chance at the games. However, many peoples could percieve Rugby 7s as being a watered-down version of the sport and dismiss it because of it. Still, it has a good chance.

Karate: Probably the most popular martial art in the world. However, Karate sparing somewhat resemble Taekwondo which could hurt its chances. Still, it came close for 2012, so it does have a good chance for 2016 (what annoys me, however, is that there is no effort to get team Kata in the games... Those are AWESOME to watch).

Golf: As whit Rugby, the popularity can't be argued whit and both the men's and women's tour are prosperous. However, does the IOC really want another Tennis on the program? In any case, Golf's chances can't be dismissed, however many of us here would rather have another sport on the program...

So anyway, I would say its a four-way battle between Karate, Squash, Rugby 7s and Golf. I personally hope for Squash and either Rugby or Karate.

I reckon softball's being doing the best job of lobbying to get back in at the moment. I wouldn't be surprised (or particularly displeased) to see it return.

Which leaves one other spot open - my preference would be Rugby (as Fox said, I suppose 7s has the problem that some consider it Rugby "Lite" - though 7s in itself is a great, quick and exciting game).

There is men's softball around, its had a world championships for awhile, New Zealand, USA, Japan and Canada dominate the sport.

I do know that men's Softball has been around for a while, but I don't think it is yet viable for the Olympics (I have to admit I wouldn't mind Softball coming back, tough, as it is one of the rare team sport where Canada does good...). I would actually compare men's Softball to women's Baseball in term of development.

Its developed, there is a 16 team world championship that is very competitive. Its just not that visible and that is the fault of the ISF who wanted softball to be seen as a women's only sport that could contour men's baseball.

Question: Isnt every host of the Olympic Games allowed to name new demonstration sports? Munich 2018 will probably name

Officilally, I don't think they've had demonstration sports since, was it Barcelona? (someone here will know for sure).

Unofficially, Beijing did have some Wushu comp during their games.

Question: Isnt every host of the Olympic Games allowed to name new demonstration sports? Munich 2018 will probably name Bavarian Curling and Wok Racing. :P

2b1276aa56c6ce3ea533f77a46ce1e0f.jpg

0,1020,889850,00.jpg

I think "Eisstockschiessen" (Bavarian Curling) has been already demonstration sport two times so far....

mhh - Wok Racing? That isn't a bad idea - it could be fun to watch e.g. Paris Hilton or Christina Aguilera sitting in a wok and skid down a bob run...

I couldn't go wrong with rugby or skateboarding, they're fast, exciting and reather dangerous sports to play, trust me. I did go skateboarding once and hit my head on a railing-when cranium meets metal, no good can from from that.

Anyways, put rugby in, all of a sudden countries like Fiji, Samoa and Tonga can have legitimate medal hopes for the first time in, uh, well.....OK, only in 7's could they be medal contenders.

• 4 weeks later...

I'm not sure if anyone has posted it here, but I found out (rather by accident) that Baseball's bid for the 2016 Olympics contains both men's and women's Baseball, while Softball's bid contains both men's and women's Softball. Thats rather interesting, if you ask me.

I'm not sure if anyone has posted it here, but I found out (rather by accident) that Baseball's bid for the 2016 Olympics contains both men's and women's Baseball, while Softball's bid contains both men's and women's Softball. Thats rather interesting, if you ask me.

Well, they would have had to do that - it's pretty well obligatory to have gender equality these days if any new sport wants to get in.

I don't know why they just don't combine the 2 boring sports...SoftBaseball??

Softball declined Baseball's offer for a combined bid. Well, whit a bit of luck it will shack up the perception that Baseball is for boys and that Softball is for girls.

Guest Skidud313
Rugby 7s: However, many peoples could percieve Rugby 7s as being a watered-down version of the sport and dismiss it because of it.

Some would say the same thing about Olympic Football, but it's still on the program. In terms of growing the sport, even "watered down" the game would benefit from Olympic exposure. Living in the states I didn't really know anything about rugby until I studied abroad in Australia and NZ, and now I really enjoy it. I worked for Denver Sports and we brought the Churchill Cup to Denver and are hopefully close to securing a Bledisloe Cup match.

With the US Olympic Curling Trials hosted here recently, we drew record crowds in an area where Curling does not have a strong following, but people were eager for the exposure and it has helped local clubs to keep expanding. With a sport like rugby, which is fast and exciting (especially Sevens), I think the Olympic program could be greatly boosted.

At the same time I realize the role of the Olympic movement to preserve diversity in sport, and sports like Squash could also use the boost.

Softball declined Baseball's offer for a combined bid. Well, whit a bit of luck it will shack up the perception that Baseball is for boys and that Softball is for girls.

But it's really kinda stupid. What did Softball think? That entering separate bids (still as uni-gender of as bi-gender sports?) would icnrease their chances in returning to the Olympics? That's probably the only way they could've gotten back in.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, Rogge has hinted that Women's Boxing is a shoe-in for 2012, and that all that is left to determine is the matter in which it will be included (number of men's and women's weight classes, and number of athletes per weight classes). Well, after that the only disciplines whit no women's participation will be Canoing (which the ICF plans to include in 2016, both in slalom and sprint), Greco-Roman Wrestling, Ski Jumping and Nordic Combined, while men are excluded from Synchronized Swimming and Rhythmic Gymnastic.

Cape Town backs Squash for 2016

Images (Large)

olympic-squash-pic12.jpg

In Cape Town, South Africa, Villager Squash Club hosted a “Last Man Standing” Tournament in celebration of World Squash Day. It turned out that the tournament should have been titled “Last Person Standing” since a woman, Siyoli Lusaseni, was crowned the Champion, after 5 hours of squash and 24 games with different squash enthusiasts.

Fishoek Squash Club also hosted a “Six minute” Tournament, where a player could find themselves playing against the current South African Male Champion, Steve Coppinger or the former South African Champion Rodney Durbach.

There was lots fo squash fun, prizes and south african boerewors and braais enjoyed by all.

Also, some wonderful pictures were taken at the Cape Town V&A Waterfront with the backdrop of Table Mountain.

Cape Town, South Africa fully supports the 2016 Olympic Bid!!

Rugby Would Swap World Cup For Olympics

Tuesday, May 26, 2009 2:51pm EDT GB Staff

Font size:

International Rugby Board (IRB) chief executive Mike Miller said Tuesday, "if we were to be re-included in the Olympic Games, our intention would be to stop the Rugby World Cup Sevens so there would be one pinnacle in the four-year cycle of rugby sevens. The pinnacle would be the Olympic Games".

The Canadian Press reports the Rugby World Cup Sevens in Dubai in March featured 98 games and had a television reach of 760 million viewers, but the IRB is prepared to sacrifice the event in favour of the Olympics.

Rugby was dropped from the Olympics following the 1924 Games and is vying with golf, baseball, softball, squash, karate and roller sports for one of two spots at the 2016 Summer Games.

Although the IRB is still compiling its report on this year's Rugby World Cup Sevens, the 2005 tournament in Hong Kong reportedly generated between $18-20 million US from commercial programs, ticketing and broadcast revenues. According to The Canadian Press the IRB expects the extra exposure and subsequent revenue that would be generated by Olympic status to at least compensate for that.

The IRB also sees inclusion in the Olympics as a big part of its efforts to spread the sport beyond its traditional strongholds of northern Europe, South Africa, Australia and New Zealand.

Miller said, "the Olympics is the biggest sporting stage that there is and also gives us the opportunity to be seen by people who wouldn't necessarily look at rugby". He added that rugbyy fans tend to travel in large numbers and would almost certainly stay around to attend other sports at the Olympics.

A group will be making a presentation to the International Olympic Committee's (IOC) executive board at its meeting in Lausanne, Switzerland June 15-16 and a final decision will be made at the IOC session in Copenhagen in October.

GamesBids

Now thayt's an interesting offer! Not a bad one to make - the IOC sure doesn't like any of its events to play second fiddle. Hope it pays off for the IRB.

Some nice momentum building for Rugby:

Olympic Rugby petition

As the deadline approaches for the vote by the International Olympic Committee about which new sports to include, the worldwide Rugby community is gearing to let them IOC know that Rugby should be one of them.

Several weeks ago a petition was made up and is aimed at getting as many Rugby supporters around the world to add their names to it and for the petition to be presented before the vote to the IOC members.

The English Sevens Rugby team unveiled the petition at the conclusion of the IBB London Sevens last week.

Already South Afric’s Jean de Villiers, Englishman, Lawrence Dallaglio and Argentine, Augustin Pichot have spoken out about being in favour of Rugby’s inclusion in the Olympics.

At the conclusion of the 2008 IRB World Rugby Sevens in Dubai, a 14 minute video was released showing the merits of Rugby for IOC consumption.

Now all Rugby supporters can add their names to the petition by going to the website and adding your name.

Already over 12,000 names are listed and all are urged to contribute to the list. Of the names already on the list, most are not from the traditional Rugby countries but from the emerging nations.

The top 10 in order are Germany, USA, Spain, Brazil, England, Portugal, Poland, Netherlands, South Africa and Georgia.

Your help in adding your name to the petition can only help the emerging Rugby nations whose only hope of fostering the game in their countries is with government assistance and that can only happen if Rugby is an Olympic sport.

Roar.com

Archived