New Olympic Sports?

Sir Rols

Malaysia Wants New Sport At Olympic Games

Posted 11:26 am ET (GamesBids.com)

Malaysia’s deputy Prime Minister Najib Razak said Wednesday that the centuries-old ball game sepak takraw (similar to volleyball played with feet) should be promoted internationally and become an Olympic sport.

The sport is popular across Asia and there are 46 sepak takraw associations worldwide.

The Prime Minister said the sport – the only one to originate in Malaysia - should be included in more mainstream international sporting competitions, including the Olympic and Commonwealth Games, reports The Star.

He said “if taekwondo can be associated with South Korea then when sepak takraw becomes a world sport it will automatically be identified with Malaysia and this part of the world”, adding that the Cabinet Committee on Sports will meet next month to consider how to develop the sport internationally.

It's a topic we've discussed before at length, but I couldn't find any of the old threads. Still, it's always a good one to get discussion going.

Anyway, the Malaysians do have a point _ and I've followed the whole lobbying for Sepak Takraw for a few years now. One of the more woprkable suggestions I've seen is for the sport to affiliate with the world Volleyball federation, and then try to get included in the various international games via the back door, as a new volleyball event. Either that, or Kuala Lumpur will just have to win the right to host an Olympics, and then use its hosting position to lobby for the sport. The alternative is, as Rogge so often points out, some existing sports have to go before any new ones can be added. And the efforts of the past year show how difficult THAT is.

If the IOC was going to let in new sports, my favourites would be Rugby 7s and squash. Oh, and bring softball back!

• Replies 543
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'd honestly like to see golf added. It would certainly draw lots of added interest to the Olympics, and it could be done over four days without much construction expense at a local golf course or country club.

Other than that, I can't really think of anything else I'd like to add. Rugby seems like it could be a good fit. As far as eliminating sports, I'd probably go with table tennis, badminton, or trampoline (although it's part of the powerful gymnastics lobby, right). And I refuse to acknowledge synchronized diving.

My ideal Olympic Program

1. Aquatics (Swimming, Diving, Water Polo, Open Water)

2. Archery

3. Athletics

4. Badminton

5. Basketball

6. Canoe/kayak (flatwater and slalom)

7. Cycling (road and track)

8. Equestrian

9. Fencing

10. Football

11. Gymnastics (Artistic, Rhythmic, Trampoline)

12. Handball

13. Field Hockey

14. Judo

15. Rowing

16. Sailing (with less classes)

17. Shooting

18. Softball (Men’s and Women’s)

19. Tennis

20. Triathlon

21. Volleyball (Beach and Indoor)

22. Wrestling (Freestyle only and back to the traditional classes)

23. Lawn Bowling

24. Golf (match play)

25. Roller Sports (Inline hockey and inline speedskating)

26. Rugby (7’s)

27. Squash

28. Lacrosse (Field)

i personally like to see rugby 7s added

My ideal Olympic Program

1. Aquatics (Swimming, Diving, Water Polo, Open Water)

2. Archery

3. Athletics

4. Badminton

5. Basketball

6. Canoe/kayak (flatwater and slalom)

7. Cycling (road and track)

8. Equestrian

9. Fencing

10. Football

11. Gymnastics (Artistic, Rhythmic, Trampoline)

12. Handball

13. Field Hockey

14. Judo

15. Rowing

16. Sailing (with less classes)

17. Shooting

18. Softball (Men’s and Women’s)

19. Tennis

20. Triathlon

21. Volleyball (Beach and Indoor)

22. Wrestling (Freestyle only and back to the traditional classes)

23. Lawn Bowling

24. Golf (match play)

25. Roller Sports (Inline hockey and inline speedskating)

26. Rugby (7’s)

27. Squash

28. Lacrosse (Field)

what sports are you dropping?

Boxing, Weightlighting, Taekwondo, Modern Pentathlon, Table Tennis, Baseball, and then dropping the disciplines of syncro swimming, bmx, a few sailing classes, and greco roman wrestling.

I'd love to see Rugby-sevens too - squash is also a good sport to watch - I find golf far too slow. I'd probably drop Modern Pentathlon and I wasn't unhappy to see the elimination of baseball and softball - I'm fine with the rest of the Olympic programme and would watch most of them.

I can't stand golf, but I think it should be in the Olympics. There has to be a reson why it isn't, so if anyone know please tell me.

Sevens? Meh. It's good, but after what French Rugby Union did to their League counterparts in the second World War, i'd definately have second thoughts about allowing that to take place.

It's also a shame Cricket isn't played, if the West Indies were a single country I think it would have a decent chance of getting in, although I suppose that now Baseball and Softball are both out it's a bit of a moot point.

Good morning,

I'm a new member in this forum and, I'm sorry, I am not so experienced with the use of forums.

I am very interested in the sport program in the Olympics; generally I strongly defend the so called 'minor sports'; I started the practise of Taekwondo nearly 40 years ago and the introduction of Taekwondo in the Games was the dream come true for me and for other 60 millions people. Even if this sport needs many new rules to make its competitions more attractive for TV, it is undoubtably very spectacular and involving, specially if compared with some other sports.

I hoped IOC session in Singapore introduced rugby, golf or rolled sports but you know the result.

For many sport the Games are the highest moment, for other (footbal, baseball, tennis ....) are nothing more than money lost.

Anyway the discussion could be very long but I hope somebody in the forum is interested in it ( future games program, how to decide which sport is in or out, why, how to mix olympic tradition with new disciplines very popular and loved by younghers and ......)

Thanks for your attention

By by

If you're going to introduce a sport like golf, limit it to the amateurs. Do the professionals really need the Olympics as well as the other big tournaments?

The problem with that is that it limits the interest it could generate. Look at football at the olympics. I think a lot of professional golfers would love to be able to represent their countries at the Olympics and not treat it as some second-rate waste of time like some professionals have. Golf is not a sport where there is two competitive levels like in some sports that require amateurism. In all sports but boxing and football are the athletes the best of the best, disregarding amateur and professional. In fact by pierre definitions, all athletes that compete now are professional. Also it would be hypocritical for the IOC to say that professional basketball, tennis, ice hockey, volleyball, field hockey, handball, and a few other sport's athletes to play and not golfers.

The thing is that golf is just like boxing. There are distinct amateur and professional competitions. I could see the Olympics being the ultimate challenge for amateur golfers, like it is for boxers. There is no such tournament at the moment.

See, I think the professionals are best when on the team events. For whatever reason, it is then viewed as a national event and not just an individual event. And there are not many amateur golfers that would be of a high quality or draw. And so I don't think golf should be added because after the initial contest (when interest is high) it won't attract the top names anymore.

I am a bit of a purist and a bit pragmatic so I think the Olympic program should remain pretty close to what it is, with cut backs on some of the sports that require specialized arenas/stadia that won't have much of a post-Games life.

The reason Golf will not return to the Olympics are Security and Logistics.

#1 - How do you secure an 18-hole golf course? If you had the resources of the Chinese Army, yes, the whole golf course will be under lock-down for 15 days or so, 24/7.

#2 - Except for Yachting and a few other sports which have been there since time immemorial, Golf does not allow a secure separation between the field of play AND the spectators. And with loonies becoming more and more a part of the act, HOW do you stage an Olympic golf tournament where the spectators are more securely held at bay from the athletes, the technical staff, and the broadcast crew?

No way.

It works well enough at the majors and at the Ryder Cup. Why not the Olympics?

Because these are the Olympics. It is different. If it were so, why haven't they then instituted the sport back into the fold?

Ever since 1972 and all the more recent attacks on athletes (Monica Seles, etc.), Olympic and World Cup security thinking are different. Olympic security planning is more paranoid than the majors and the Ryder Cup. I mean, really, what is the Ryder Cup in terms of making a statement? :rolleyes: You don't know the meaning of 'security' until you've worked for a modern-day Olympic Games from the inside.

My preferance for the gold tourney would be a 64 player match-play. 5 day tourney, winner gets a lovely gold.

I think love to see someone like Ernie Els or Sergio Garcia with Olympic Gold around their necks.

Because these are the Olympics. It is different. If it were so, why haven't they then instituted the sport back into the fold?

Ever since 1972 and all the more recent attacks on athletes (Monica Seles, etc.), Olympic and World Cup security thinking are different. Olympic security planning is more paranoid than the majors and the Ryder Cup. I mean, really, what is the Ryder Cup in terms of making a statement? :rolleyes: You don't know the meaning of 'security' until you've worked for a modern-day Olympic Games from the inside.

I agree with you, boss Baron, regarding the different security system even in big sport events; I participated as International Referee in 3 Olympics ( the last Sydney 2000) and, really, one suspicious sneeze in OLYMPIC GAMES create more sound than 1000 protesters walk in other sport events. Only World Soccer Cup, I think, could have the same audience and, consequently, the same attention from terrorists or other people seeking istant notoriety on a world teathre.

Concerning the introduction of golf in the games, I think the security is only one of the hundreds of problems, and perhaps not the biggest; the first question about sports in modern time is: how many seconds will pass before one TV spectator change the channel? And, therefore, how much will advertisers pay for .... 5 second advert ? How many people are interested in that sport all over the world and not only in some regions ?

Sorry for my bad english and bst rgds

Logic

I agree with you, boss Baron, regarding the different security system even in big sport events; I participated as International Referee in 3 Olympics ( the last Sydney 2000) and, really, one suspicious sneeze in OLYMPIC GAMES create more sound than 1000 protesters walk in other sport events. Only World Soccer Cup, I think, could have the same audience and, consequently, the same attention from terrorists or other people seeking istant notoriety on a world teathre.

Concerning the introduction of golf in the games, I think the security is only one of the hundreds of problems, and perhaps not the biggest; the first question about sports in modern time is: how many seconds will pass before one TV spectator change the channel? And, therefore, how much will advertisers pay for .... 5 second advert ? How many people are interested in that sport all over the world and not only in some regions ?

Sorry for my bad english and bst rgds

Logic

I don't think there's any question that introducing golf (with professional players) would generate A LOT of money for the IOC. Even if it's not popular everywhere in the world, the sport does have very large following in the US and in much of Europe, where a ton of revenue is up for grabs. And of course, there are great golfers from all corners of the world (Mike Weir in Canada, Vijay Singh in Fiji, KJ Choi in Korea, Goosen & Els in South Africa, etc.), so I think the global interest would be there.

And remember, most countries do have a choice of which events they want to air, so the nations where golf isn't very popular could always just choose not to air much of it. And it would certainly generate more interest and viewership than many of the sports that the IOC has added recently.

Summer:

First off, Baseball and Softball should return in grand fashion, with the addition of Men's Softball and Women's Baseball!

Then, my dream Olympic program (with additions noted, and deletions struckthrough) would look like this:

* Archery

* Aquatics

* Athletics

* Badminton

* Baseball (Plus Women's; Home Run Derby)

* Basketball (Plus 3-Point Contest, Slam Dunk Contest)

* Boxing

* Canoe/Kayak

* Cycling

* Equestrian

* Fencing

* Field Hockey

* Gymanstics

* Handball

* Inline Skating (Racing, Synchrnoized, Tricks)

* Judo

* Water Polo

* Rowing

* Weightlifting

* Diving

* Softball (Plus Men's)

* Takewondo

* Tennis

* Table Tennis

* Shooting

* Triathalon

* Modern Penthalon

* Beach Volleyball

* Volleyball

* Sailing

* Yachting

* Bowling

* Surfing

* Wrestling

* Ballroom Dancing

Personaly, I would keep Softball out and kick out Equestrian and Modern Penthalon and would fill the vacan spots with Baseball (men and women), Rugby 7 (again men and women), golf (individual and team competition) and Squash.

Archived