New Olympic Sports?

Sir Rols

Thanks memorabilia!

So, do those discipline changes have to go through the same majority vote approval in Copenhagen in October?

No events updates are only from the Executive Committee's responsibility.

Only sports inclusions (or removal) have to be approved by the IOC Session

• Replies 543
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The changes approved by the Executive Board include the following:

Modern Pentathlon

The EB agreed to the implementation of a new combined run-shoot format.

I wonder if the athletes will have to run, shoot, swim, fence and ride one after another like a mixture out of triathlon and biathlon soon...

I wonder if the athletes will have to run, shoot, swim, fence and ride one after another like a mixture out of triathlon and biathlon soon...

I think that this new Combined Run & Shoot is on a biathlon format (you will carry your gun !)

About pentathlon, it will be more interesting to see as triathlon or biathlon... but impossible to organize because of the fencing... you have to wait your opponent to get your fight !

I think that this new Combined Run & Shoot is on a biathlon format (you will carry your gun !)

About pentathlon, it will be more interesting to see as triathlon or biathlon... but impossible to organize because of the fencing... you have to wait your opponent to get your fight !

Let's have swordfight duels on horseback!

or even better: replace fencing with archery - since you can do it on horseback perfectly

What about every host city gets to install it's own sport in a one off at their games.

London 2012 - we can have medievil midget jousting.

Chicago 2016 - we can have an Alcapone style street brawl

Seriously though, I would fu*kin love it if dodgeball were to become an Olympic sport.

• 5 months later...
Cricket gets green light for Olympic bid

Cricket has been cleared to pursue its bid to be included in future Olympic Games after the International Olympic Committee (IOC) rubber stamped the sport's recognition.

Cricket, powerboating and sports climbing became the latest sports to be officially recognised by the IOC, a status necessary before launching a bid to become part of the Olympic program.

"The session gave definite recognition to the three federations," IOC spokesman Mark Adams told reporters.

The three sports can now bid to join the 2020 Olympics as the program is always determined seven years in advance.

Golf and rugby were latest inclusions in the 2016 Rio de Janeiro Games when an IOC session voted them in last year.

The decision about new sports for the 2020 Games will be taken at the IOC session in Buenos Aires in 2013 where the host country will also be picked.

- Reuters

Yeah. Right. Like cricket, powerboating and rock climbing have a chance.

:rolleyes:

Still, I assume they'd pitch 20-20.

• 3 months later...

Three on three basketball to be added to Summer Games

Alison Wildey

Wed May 19, 2010 1:00pm

LONDON (Reuters) - A slimmed down three-a-side version of basketball could be on the Olympic program as early as the 2020 Summer Games, the secretary general of the sport's governing body told Reuters on Wednesday.

Three-on-three, which is played over three periods on half a court with one hoop, will make its debut at the Youth Olympic Games in Singapore in August.

"It's not an alternative but it's an add-on and we will have it at the Olympics in 2020/2024," the International Basketball Federation's (FIBA) Patrick Baumann said.

"Three on three will develop. The Youth Olympic Games is the first step then we will have probably have a World Cup and Masters series starting in two years then you create a generation of professional players."

FIBA hopes the format will appeal to those who play the sport for fun.

"It's a product that the kids and the youth play out there for their pleasure and which hasn't really been part of anything," said Baumann who added that three times as many people played basketball as soccer.

"It's a free game, you go when you want, you play with who you want...and it's already out there. What it is not, it's not part of a worldwide community of three-on-three basketball players. That's where I think we have an amazing opportunity to just create a tsunami of basketball players."

http://www.reuters.com/article/idUSTRE64I5ON20100519

Three on three basketball to be added to Summer Games

Alison Wildey

Wed May 19, 2010 1:00pm

LONDON (Reuters) - A slimmed down three-a-side version of basketball could be on the Olympic program as early as the 2020 Summer Games, the secretary general of the sport's governing body told Reuters on Wednesday.

Three-on-three, which is played over three periods on half a court with one hoop, will make its debut at the Youth Olympic Games in Singapore in August.

"It's not an alternative but it's an add-on and we will have it at the Olympics in 2020/2024," the International Basketball Federation's (FIBA) Patrick Baumann said.

"Three on three will develop. The Youth Olympic Games is the first step then we will have probably have a World Cup and Masters series starting in two years then you create a generation of professional players."

FIBA hopes the format will appeal to those who play the sport for fun.

"It's a product that the kids and the youth play out there for their pleasure and which hasn't really been part of anything," said Baumann who added that three times as many people played basketball as soccer.

"It's a free game, you go when you want, you play with who you want...and it's already out there. What it is not, it's not part of a worldwide community of three-on-three basketball players. That's where I think we have an amazing opportunity to just create a tsunami of basketball players."

http://www.reuters.com/article/idUSTRE64I5ON20100519

If they have a womens field for this, I expect it to be like regular Womens Basketball at the Olympics: Total domination by the American Women.

• 2 years later...

Archived