New Olympic Sports?

Sir Rols

• Replies 543
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Softball will probably be the sport allowed in. What IF is going to willingly diminish thier participation? Other sports will attempt to get in but IMHO, no others will be successful. After all, the sports that do not gain admission to the Olympic program still have the World Games.

Actually, there's TWO sports going to be voted in.

Actually, there's TWO sports going to be voted in.

I did mean softball (both women's and men's) as the two sports. If they proposal is for just women's softball, then the otehr sport could be any one of the others. It will depend on which IF could and did mount the most effective lobby. Karate probably has the best shot behind softball, which roller sports coming in third.

Softball have run a good campaign, but has two major factors against it. The fact that it is women's only (as far as I am aware mens softball is not on the agenda?), and the fact that it has already had its chance. I know Softball has had quite good press on this website, but speaking from a British angle the press has picked out Rugby 7s, Golf and Squash as the only sports with a real chance. Personally I would make Softball 4th. Roller Sports and Karate have to be the rank outsiders.

Roltel I take your point on modern pentathlon, speaking as a proud Brit, we usually do quite well in Modern Pentathlon, and it gets good coverage in Europe generally I think. Particularly as recently it has been towards the end of the games as the number of sports sessions gets smaller. It will be interesting to see the new format in action at London 2012. Nevertheless it must be the sport that is most under pressure to survive as an Olympic sport - despite the rule changes it still maintains an expensive sport to host I think (?)

. Nevertheless it must be the sport that is most under pressure to survive as an Olympic sport - despite the rule changes it still maintains an expensive sport to host I think (?)

Not anymore than the Triathlon. The thing is now you have so much DUPLICATION of sports:

- Marathon (1)

- Biathlon (2)

- Triathlon (3)

- pentathlon (5)

- Heptathlon (7)

- Decathlon (10)

I mean why not make it a clean sweep and add:

- the Quadrathon (4)

- the Septathlon (6)

- the Octathlon (8) and

-the Novothon!!

Not anymore than the Triathlon.

Well, you only need to build a few thousand temporary seats. Most cities have some sort of body of water and streets.

It's can’t be as expensive as setting up five different sports in multiple venues as close as possible to each other, which usually means cities won't reuse venues (ie Beijing didn‘t use their Shooting venue for the MP, they had to set up a new Shooting site closer to the other 4 sports).

Well, you only need to build a few thousand temporary seats. Most cities have some sort of body of water and streets.

It's can’t be as expensive as setting up five different sports in multiple venues as close as possible to each other, which usually means cities won't reuse venues (ie Beijing didn‘t use their Shooting venue for the MP, they had to set up a new Shooting site closer to the other 4 sports).

The Pentathlon piggybacks on other venues:

Shooting - the pistol range

Equestrian - it's a X-country part...so that's a natural track

Swimming - any of the aquatic venues

Running -- they borrow the track

Fencing - well, the Fencing venue.

2008? Well, that was Beijing's choice. But under normal circumstances, Pentathe just uses the existing venues (or maybe 4 of the 5).

(No, I think it's the scheduling and having to shuttle the Pentathlete staff and judges, etc., that makes it quite cumbersome. PLUS, there is NO female equivalent...yet.) So, it's NOT anymore expensive than the Triathlon...oh, for which they have to find an extra natural body of water for that...however long that swim is.

Softball have run a good campaign, but has two major factors against it. The fact that it is women's only (as far as I am aware mens softball is not on the agenda?), and the fact that it has already had its chance. I know Softball has had quite good press on this website, but speaking from a British angle the press has picked out Rugby 7s, Golf and Squash as the only sports with a real chance. Personally I would make Softball 4th. Roller Sports and Karate have to be the rank outsiders.

I was told (somewhere back on this thread, I think) that softball WAS bidding with men's and women's comps (which, Tex, still only counts it as ONE sport). Which was necessary if it ssstands any chance of getting back in.

Yeah, coverage down here also has Rugby 7s, golf and squash as the favourites. I hope they're wrong about golf.

Hi Baron. Don't understand your comment. The Modern Pentathlon holds events for both sexes since 2000. GB have won a medal every year!

Oh really? Well, good to know. I thought because of its military component...and I have known NO militaries in the world with women in their 'cavalry' outfits could they include the ladies.

2008? Well, that was Beijing's choice. But under normal circumstances, Pentathe just uses the existing venues (or maybe 4 of the 5).

They have to host all five sessions of the MP as close as possible to each other. Looking at Sydney, Athens, and Beijing (and London) they didn't just use the existing venue, they set-up some sports in the venues of others.

baseball should be added again. if i were to remove a sport it'll be yachting.

Its called Sailing now, not Yachting. And I believe that the sport could be made interesting if they competed in match races instead of fleet races (the new three-women class will use match races in London, hopefully it will make that event watchable). But I doubt Sailing will be on the chopping block as long as Rogue is in charge since he competed as a Yachtsmen (when it was still called Yachting :P) in Montreal.

As for Baseball, there are many thing going against it, but I believe that the biggest and most unpardonable one is the underdevelopment of women's Baseball. Whit Softball no longuer willing to be Baseball's estrogen fuelled cousin, we have to look at women's Baseball itself, and to my knowledge there isn't much to see. In my opinion, Softball currently has a better chance of coming back that Baseball, but both of them are behind Cricket (looking ahead to 2020). Cricket has developed a format that would suit the Olympic schedule (Twenty/20) and now has a competitive and interesting women's side of things. That and it would increase the profile of the Olympic games in India, Pakistan, Bangladesh and Sri Lanka, a region whit about a fifth of humanity but that is quite snubbed by the Olympic movement.

Like other friend states, Golf can be added to the List of events. This is not only attracts some more viewer's but it will be a just recognition.

And the most boring Olympic sport since non-Shotgun Shooting and Dressage...

Its called Sailing now, not Yachting. And I believe that the sport could be made interesting if they competed in match races instead of fleet races (the new three-women class will use match races in London, hopefully it will make that event watchable). But I doubt Sailing will be on the chopping block as long as Rogue is in charge since he competed as a Yachtsmen (when it was still called Yachting :P) in Montreal.

As for Baseball, there are many thing going against it, but I believe that the biggest and most unpardonable one is the underdevelopment of women's Baseball. Whit Softball no longuer willing to be Baseball's estrogen fuelled cousin, we have to look at women's Baseball itself, and to my knowledge there isn't much to see. In my opinion, Softball currently has a better chance of coming back that Baseball, but both of them are behind Cricket (looking ahead to 2020). Cricket has developed a format that would suit the Olympic schedule (Twenty/20) and now has a competitive and interesting women's side of things. That and it would increase the profile of the Olympic games in India, Pakistan, Bangladesh and Sri Lanka, a region whit about a fifth of humanity but that is quite snubbed by the Olympic movement.

Its not the IOC's fault that the subcontinent takes no interest in sports outside of the oval.

Its not the IOC's fault that the subcontinent takes no interest in sports outside of the oval.

No it's not the IOC's fault. BUT the IOC has to embrace whatever sports are popular - otherwise the coverage in the subcontinent of the Olympics will be down. Just think what a twenty20 tournament would do for Olympic coverage, and once a match is finished they may then tune into a different sport.

Indeed, but its the IOC's fault that they didn't embrace a sport that captivate a fifth of humanity (granted, it bores the remaining four-fifth to tears :lol:).

No it's not the IOC's fault. BUT the IOC has to embrace whatever sports are popular - otherwise the coverage in the subcontinent of the Olympics will be down. Just think what a twenty20 tournament would do for Olympic coverage, and once a match is finished they may then tune into a different sport.

Cricket's costs will be extremely high for a sport that is really only popular in about 10 countries would wide.

The IOC has no responsibility to anyone, it is their manifesto that they include sports that have universal appeal, Cricket and its derivatives Baseball and Softball don't have the universal appeal and therefore don't have a place at the Olympics.

I guess there is a good comparison to Baseball and Softball on a lot of levels - but Baseball and Softballs main target was America which already has lot s of sports to be interested in. Cricket 2020 would be an interesting experiment and would really reach out to an area of the world that the IOC needs to if it wants to be big in the sub continent (thats just a fact).

However I do take your point about interest - I'm not a fan of regional sports being in the Olympics on the whole. That's why I was never a fan of baseball and softball, and why I think Roller Sports doesnt have a place.

On the expense point - I think that it is no more expensive to hold cricket than any of the new sports, so thats not really a factor.

Outside of the test nations there is no existing suitable venues in any of the potential host cities over the next 20 years other than Cape Town. So the extreme venue costs associated with softball and baseball will also be there for cricket.

Archived