New Olympic Sports?

Sir Rols

• Replies 543
  • Created
  • Last Reply
For winter : biathlon with archery instead of riffles.

That actually doesn't make much sense, actually, since Biathlon is much more developed that Ski Archery.

Taekwondo and Pentathlon out and Rubgy and Karate in, what about that.

For winter : biathlon with archery instead of riffles.

Don't touch taekwondo

Beside, you would put out a modern fighting sport and put in a martial art without contact and nearly impossible to be judged?

Sometime in taekwondo game you can see some trouble in refereeing, try to imagine an olympic medal given in a martial art like karate where competitors have not to touch the other contestant.

Well the only goal of Taekwondo is to raise the Korean medal count.

The only part which was interesting in 2008 was when the Cuban guy knocked down the referee. Hopefully taekwondo will go like tug of war and polo.

Don't touch taekwondo

Beside, you would put out a modern fighting sport and put in a martial art without contact and nearly impossible to be judged?

Sometime in taekwondo game you can see some trouble in refereeing, try to imagine an olympic medal given in a martial art like karate where competitors have not to touch the other contestant.

there is a combat form of karate

judo, taekwondo, table tennis and badminton were added to aid in Asian medal counts. As we can see with China, Korea and Japan, they don't need any help any more.

The cost of having cricket in the games for the number of medals being awarded is not worth it. It does not make financial sense to have cricket in the games. Only 10 to 15 countries take cricket seriously. You have probably about 4 to 4.5 billion people in the world that couldn't tell you the first thing about cricket. Imagine Japan, Canada, the US, France or Germany hosting a cricket tournament? Cricket just to bring India's interest in is a very weak argument. India doesn't see beyond the oval and for the most part Indians are very happy with that. As for the ICC, just like FIFA its doubtful that they would jeopardizes their own brand to play second fiddle to the IOC and be caught running tournaments every 4 years in countries that couldn't give two sh!ts about cricket.

The lack of international female cricket is also problematic for the sport. And India is not a big player in the IOC, its why the US was appeased with baseball and softball, while India has never for cricket.

Cricket should not be an olympic sport ahead of rugby, karate, roller sports and squash. However, it should be in AHEAD of baseball and softball. The cost of having cricket in the olympics is exactly the same as having Baseball and Softball. Two 20,000 seat venue constructed in cities where they will quite often have no future use. It may not be viable, but you can imagine Japan, Canada, the US, France or Germany hosting an olympic cricket tournament just the same as Sydney, Athens and Beijing all had to to host Baseball and Softball tournaments; constructing useless venues in each case.

"Only 10 to 15 countries take cricket seriously. You have probably about 4 to 4.5 billion people in the world that couldn't tell you the first thing about cricket. " Exactly the same for Baseball and Softball, only with less countries and less people internationally who actually care about it.

"And India is not a big player in the IOC" Which is exactly why cricket should be included instead of Baseball or Softball; to make India and Pakistan more involved with Olympic competition.

I can't see any sense including Baseball or Softball ahead of Cricket. Firstly, if you include one, it seems the other of Baseball or Softball must be included also. Secondly, Baseball and Softball both are realistically competitive b/w 4 countries apeice; while cricket has at least 8 nations capable of winning a Twenty20 tournament. Thirdly, B.ball and S.ball are already dominated by olympic powers (US, Cuba, Korea, Japan, Aus, China, Canada) where as cricket would provide an oppurtunity for nations with virtually no olympic success (India, Pakistan, Sri Lanka, RSA, Bangladesh).

I reiterate Cricket should not be in ahead of Rugby, Karate, Roller Sports or Squash, but definately ahead of Baseball and Softball.

judo, taekwondo, table tennis and badminton were added to aid in Asian medal counts. As we can see with China, Korea and Japan, they don't need any help any more.

Well the only goal of Taekwondo is to raise the Korean medal count.

The only part which was interesting in 2008 was when the Cuban guy knocked down the referee. Hopefully taekwondo will go like tug of war and polo.

The whole games in Beijing (34 sports and disciplines) gave medals to only 84 countries, Taekwondo alone gave medals to 22 countries besides Korea, among them Afganistan (first historical olympic medal), Dominican Republic, Nigeria, Greece, Norway, ITALY, France, Mexico (2 GOLDS, male and female !), Croatia (2 medals), Canada, USA, China, Iran... Where is the gift to Korea?

Even without taekwondo the place of Korea in the medal standings is the same.

The distribution of medals in Taekwondo competitions is very large compared with many other famous sports: how many countries get medals in equestrian, football, volleyball, pentathlon, basket, archery, fencing?

The form of combat karate with contact, Mr. Faster, is not the one recognized by IOC but is used only in other organizations like Kick boxing, muhay thay, K1...

The cuban assault to the referee is a shame, and that competitor now is banned for his life, how many other sports are so strict against violations, and what about doping in many sports?

Taekwondo should be compared with tug of war or polo?

Be serious, please.

Get rid of modern pentathlon! I mean, I know it's traditional and all, and De Coubertin's brainchild, but honestly, do they even televise it any more?

Or rather is there any country on earth with one hundred athletes who compete in National modern Pentahlon Championships? I would be surprised if there was a single nation with a National Championship in that event .

jim jones

I can't see any sense including Baseball or Softball ahead of Cricket.

The only reason that Baseball and Softball got in there was the lucky confluence of

1. 2 successful Olympiads held in the US (LA and Atlanta) which provided a very favorable setting; and

2. Their federations got close to the IOC and knew how to lobby.

....which 2 factors totally eclipsed their dubious 'worldwide appeal.'

(And then the IOC really started getting serious about putting a cap on the # of sports.)

raise asian medal counts or asian interest in the olympics?

i don't think it's so much about making NOCs happy as making paying sponsors happy.

Triffle - Don't get me wrong, I have no desire for baseball and softball to be in the Olympics, but its in the same league as cricket, fringe sports that have a lot of work to do before they can be considered Olympic sports again or in the future. I would say that softball without baseball is more deserving than cricket or baseball because its a women's only event, something that the Olympics needs to combat a men's only event like boxing, though London should be hosting a women's boxing tournament.

I would like to see weightlifting and modern pentathlon out of the games as well and those 4 events replaced with rugby 7's, inline speed skating, inline hockey and more events in rowing, track cycling and canoe/kayak to increase gender neutrality.

I am not the biggest fan of combat sports but enjoy judo and think the IOC has the right combination of combat sports. So I do not feel karate warrants inclusion.

I, of course, would bring baseball and softball back. Played in over 100 nations, loved by nations in many regions (Americas and Asia, especially Japan)

I always had the idea of adding sub-disciplines to sports like Basketball, Baseball, Softball, and Soccer like the 3-Point Contest, Slam Dunk Contest, Home Run Derby, Goal Challenge, and the like. Quick, mass appeal, and wouldn't require the construction of a new arena besides the one being used for the parent event. Oh, and Target Tennis would be pretty cool too.

Roller Skating makes a lot of sense. Could have artistic to parallel figure skating, and also have races. Like the excellent BMX Olympic races, would have lots of athletes from different nations and exciting to boot.

I, of course, would bring baseball and softball back.

How very bias of you.

Played in over 100 nations, loved by nations in many regions (Americas and Asia, especially Japan)

Same as cricket, only replace Americas with Commonwealth nations.

I always had the idea of adding sub-disciplines to sports like Basketball, Baseball, Softball, and Soccer like the 3-Point Contest, Slam Dunk Contest, Home Run Derby, Goal Challenge, and the like. Quick, mass appeal, and wouldn't require the construction of a new arena besides the one being used for the parent event. Oh, and Target Tennis would be pretty cool too.

That's just a stupid idea. There is no global league or competition for these events, other than at all-star games and unofficial exhibition.

That's just a stupid idea. There is no global league or competition for these events, other than at all-star games and unofficial exhibition.

How very bias of you.

Same as cricket, only replace Americas with Commonwealth nations.

Neither cricket nor baseball encompass one group of nations. Though competitiveness is very short. Though the same could be argued for all team sports, there is only a few truly competitive teams.

By the logic that baseball and softball is only "competitively" played in a handful of nations, I say:

* Eliminate Table Tennis and Badminton due to Chinese dominance

* Eliminate Distance Running because of African dominance

* Eliminate Archery due to Korean dominance

And so on...now, I love the above sports I mentioned, but they seemingly have a consistent lineup of medalists. The Olympics is supposed to be a celebration of world sport--so why not celebrate the different sports of the world? Baseball and Softball are loved in Japan, Australia, and the United States among other countries--so let that be a highlight for Americans like Table Tennis is for Chinese, and so on.

Well, if US wins the bid (or Japan, even) in 2016, I'm fairly sure softball and baseball will return. Until then, at least there's the World Baseball Classic and annual Softball World Cup...

By the logic that baseball and softball is only "competitively" played in a handful of nations, I say:

* Eliminate Table Tennis and Badminton due to Chinese dominance

* Eliminate Archery due to Korean dominance

And so on...now, I love the above sports I mentioned, but they seemingly have a consistent lineup of medalists. The Olympics is supposed to be a celebration of world sport--so why not celebrate the different sports of the world? Baseball and Softball are loved in Japan, Australia, and the United States among other countries--so let that be a highlight for Americans like Table Tennis is for Chinese, and so on.

Well, if US wins the bid (or Japan, even) in 2016, I'm fairly sure softball and baseball will return. Until then, at least there's the World Baseball Classic and annual Softball World Cup...

It's not "loved" by Australia- far from it. Baseball and Softball have modest participation levels which would be lower than table tennis in Aus. If Baseball and Softball were loved by Australia, why is it that virtually everyone in Aus (except Channel 7) is happy they're off the olympic programme? Americans already haver enough highlights: basketball, swimming, sprint events (although they were far from spectacular in Beijing). You suggest different sports of the world? to be included, and yet you instantly claim sports which are dominated by Olympic powers should be in the Olympics: that is hardly celebrating the world of sport. Going by your theory, Kabbaddi (popular in India), Korfball (Benelux) and Pelote Basque (Spain) should be added, all of which would certainly define "celebrating the different sports of the world" perfectly.

For the record, Africa is not 1 country. Made up of 53 nations. Running dominated by Kenya, Ethiopia, Morrocco, Uganda, Algeria. All of which have very limited success in any other sport.

Based on that dumb logic, why was Rugby excluded from the 2012 programme?

For the record, Africa is not 1 country. Made up of 53 nations. Running dominated by Kenya, Ethiopia, Morrocco, Uganda, Algeria. All of which have very limited success in any other sport.

Based on that dumb logic, why was Rugby excluded from the 2012 programme?

Because of the voting structure of new sports that has been changed for Copenhagen next year.

That's NOT a given. I, for one, wouldn't really care to see the return of these 2 BORING GAMES (Base & soft) to the Olympics. In all fairness, it's only played in North America/Caribbean, 3 Asian nations, and what? 2 European nations? And that's it.

Archived