New Olympic Sports?

Sir Rols

It hasn't been finalized here if it's for Summer or winter Olympics cos am familiar more with Summer than Winter Olympic Games( from my perception, I beleive most Africans are more familiar with Summer than Winter Olympic Games. Can one really classify board games as sports?

• Replies 543
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 1 month later...

Now Gordon Brown's going into bat for the girls:

LONDON, Feb 20 AAP - Australia's champion netballers could get the chance to compete at the London Olympics in 2012 if British Prime Minister Gordon Brown has his way.

Mr Brown wants netball included as a ``wildcard'' demonstration sport at the London Games to help encourage more women and girls to play.

``The Olympics can be crucial to encouraging participation in sport and netball will have great value as a game to encourage girls and women to stay on and enjoy competitive exercise,'' one senior government source told The Mirror newspaper.

As well as being hugely popular in Australia and Britain, netball is a favourite sport among women and girls in other Commonwealth countries such as New Zealand and Jamaica.

Australia currently tops the rankings after its world championship win last November, while New Zealand is in second spot.

England Netball has welcomed Mr Brown's push to have the sport included at the 2012 Games, but has also called for men's teams to be included.

``Netball is a great sport where you have to work as a team to score,'' one England Netball member told the newspaper.

``And it's not just for girls. It would be wonderful to see it included as an Olympic sport.''

Demonstration sports were introduced at the Paris Olympics in 1900. Medals are awarded to the winners but they do not count towards a country's official haul.

China has included the martial art of Wushu for the Beijing Games in August.

• 2 months later...
BUENOS AIRES, May 16 AFP - The decision on rugby union's Olympic future will be taken in October 2009, International Rugby Board president Bernard Lapasset said today.

Lapasset, speaking at a press conference in the Argentinian capital city at the end of a three-day visit to rugby officials and the National Olympic Committee, said: ``In October 2009, a decision will be taken on whether rugby will be an Olympic sport or not.''

The aim of Lapasset's visit was to negotiate a strategic financial plan to help Argentina, which still has amateur status, to join ``rugby's world elite.''

Argentina last year achieved its best ever World Cup performance, finishing third in the tournament held in France.

AFP

Here's crossing fingers they'll make it in!

Seven sports will have a chance to be added to the 2016 Olympic games, being:

-Baseball

-Softball

-Rugby

-Squash

-Golf

-Karate

-Roller Sports (Skating (Speed, Artistic, Hockey, Freestyle) and Skateboard)

Seven sports will have a chance to be added to the 2016 Olympic games, being:

-Baseball

-Softball

-Rugby

-Squash

-Golf

-Karate

-Roller Sports (Skating (Speed, Artistic, Hockey, Freestyle) and Skateboard)

And I assume we're looking at two getting through.

For my preferences, I'd go Rugby and Squash.

I could imagine, though, with their new emphasis on getting "yoof" interested, the IOC might favour roller sports (do they have an international federation, though?)

I have some sympathy for softball. Baseball (for all Australia's Olympic good luck at it) I still think is too restricted.

As long as golf doesn't get in, I won't be too unhappy wwith any of the others.

Too many combat sports to include karate, the same with racket-sports and squash. With the PGA getting alongside the push for Olympic golf I think it has a decent chance. Hopefully rugby makes it (in the 7's form so both men and women can play)

And I assume we're looking at two getting through.

For my preferences, I'd go Rugby and Squash.

I could imagine, though, with their new emphasis on getting "yoof" interested, the IOC might favour roller sports (do they have an international federation, though?)

Ya, Roller Sports have a governing body, the International Roller Sports Federation which exists since 1924. Roller Sports are actually apart of the Pan-American Games (Inline Speed Skating and Artistic (Figure) Skating).

The International Roller Sports Federation controls Inline Speed Skating, Artistic Skating, Roller Hockey, Inline Hockey and they recently started organising Skateboarding, Downhill Skating and Freestyle Skating (Slalom and Jump)

If Roller Sports do make it in, the discipline most likely to get into the Olympic is Inline Speed Skating.

Anyway, I would absolutely like to see Squash make it in. For the rest, I would be equally happy if any of the other sports make it in (except maybe Golf...But even there I would not be too disappointed).

Hopefully rugby makes it (in the 7's form so both men and women can play)

Yes, it would be 7s. That's where the push is (the IRB doesn't want the senior game so as not to co-opt its WC tournament). Also 7s is easier to stage over just a few days, and is faster and more exciting from the spectator point-of-view.

Aren't smaller countries also more competitive when it comes to the seven version of the game?

I'd like to see "Modern" Pentathlon ditched or modernized; with Rugby 7's, Roller sports (for new Olympic fans) and (if M. Pentathlon's dropped) squash included. Personally, I don't find martial arts interesting to watch, so I particularly don't want karate to join.

I would optimistically like the maximium quota of 28 sports to be increased to 30, allowing for Men's and Women's Sotball and Twenty20 Cricket to be introduced.

The introduction of these new Olympic sports usually benefit the host. It`s true that they will get the large number of medals in this regard as they are used to these new sports being introduced.

"]Marakana,Maracuja,Ipanema,Lambada,Karneval,Rumba,Samba,Tango......[/[/size] :(;):angry:

color]

Geneva 2018

Dubai 2020

Kopenhagen 2024[/ :P:rolleyes::P color]

What`s the matter with you,Zenica? Go ahead with your bad idea. SPOILER!

Golf would have to be one of the most boring sports to watch. Rugby 7's should be in for sure only goes for 2 days quick games good to watch and plenty of smaller nations are good at it.

...And, rugby (in general) is one of the world's most popular sports, and any venue built for the sport during the olympics could easily acommadate football post-games.

...And, rugby (in general) is one of the world's most popular sports, and any venue built for the sport during the olympics could easily acommadate football post-games.

A venue would not be necessary, since any bidding city would be able to host the tournament within the main stadium.

A venue would not be necessary, since any bidding city would be able to host the tournament within the main stadium.

Not necessary, but perhaps preferable, given the potential problems with the running track impeding the view of spectators. I mean, would you stage rugby at a London Olympics in the main stadium when you've got a venue like Twickenham ready and waiting?

Archived