New Olympic Sports?

Sir Rols

• Replies 543
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What about chess game? This game consumes much mental energy---we can easily tell by it where the brain men come from.

Been suggested already -- as have all parlor games. The IOC does not do non-sweaty stuff.

Common! why are you always there on my way to sour things? Give me a breathing space---it's my first human right.

I still think that futsal, karate and rollerhockey could be part of the games.

Karate is a well-known sport and has a lot of praticants all over the world.

Futsal and rollerhockey are sports that do no demand much in therms of venues. Sure they are not so popular as dancesport, but they are played all over the world and can fit all IOC requirements for a sport to be considered Olympic.

I still think that futsal, karate and rollerhockey could be part of the games.

Karate is a well-known sport and has a lot of praticants all over the world.

Futsal and rollerhockey are sports that do no demand much in therms of venues. Sure they are not so popular as dancesport, but they are played all over the world and can fit all IOC requirements for a sport to be considered Olympic.

A lot of other sports can be considered 'viable.' The point is to fit them within the present 10,500 athlete ceiling # of beds, AND not to require new venues of prospective host cities. To achieve the first one, which of the other sports do you eliminate, and which federations can you request to stand down? :blink:

In my mind Squash has to be added sooner or later (2016, most likely). I mean, its a great TV sport (well, at least I like to watch it... Ya, I know, weak argument), and the new one-way glass court (allowing spectators to see in but not the athletes to see out) greatly help the sport.

Oh, and it has killer continental representation. I mean, in both the women's and men's team ranking, 5 continents are represented (based on the seeding of the last World Team Championships):

Men's: Europe (England at #2, France at #3, and the Netherlands at #8), America (Canada at #6), Africa (Egypt at #1), Oceania (Australia at #4) and Asia (Malaysia at #5 and Pakistan at #7).

Women's: Europe (England at #1 and the Netherlands at #4), America (Canada at #7), Africa (Egypt at #2), Oceania (Australia at #6 and New Zealand at #7) and Asia (Malaysia at #3 and Hong-Kong at #8).

I mean, how many sports have that kind of competitiveness between continent? And more representation for Africa is always a good thing.

It has taken part in the Winter Olympics before in 1932.

What about crashed ice, the IOC seems like it wants to have young and extreme sports in it.

It was only a demonstration sport.

As for Crash Ice, well, then again, no governing body. Unless you consider Red Bull as one...

It was only a demonstration sport.

As for Crash Ice, well, then again, no governing body. Unless you consider Red Bull as one...

I don't know where you get no governing body for sled racing, the IFSS is its body.

In regards to crashed ice, it would be put in with the ISU or the IIHF.

Snowboarding had no governing body, and still doesn't, going into the 1998 Olympics, it was included under FIS and still is, to the complaint of people like Burton and the American professional and video snowboarders that rarely compete in international snowboarding events outside of the US circuits that are not controlled by FIS.

Why does Formula One not try to become an Olympic Sport?

Because it doesn’t really test the physical boundaries of an “athlete”. You can argue that people like Louis Hamilton have extraordinary sporting abilities and therefore are athletes in a professional sport but in the end its the mechanical body (the race car) that does the work.

However I guess the same argument could be put forward against equestrian events.

Nonetheless the sport only adheres to faster, not higher nor stronger. A good Olympic sport will attempt to fulfil all attributes set out by the Olympic motto.

Although road courses could be used it may be irresponsible for host cities to construct F1 circuits. Not only are they expensive and take up large areas of land, they are more than likely to become white horses following the games unless in a city that already hosts a round of the F1 or A1 series.

Verdict, its just not feasible, workable nor in line with what the Olympics are about.

Do you think Cambodia could put a car in the Olympic A1 or F1 competition? With no prize money on offer?

Because it doesn’t really test the physical boundaries of an “athlete”. You can argue that people like Louis Hamilton have extraordinary sporting abilities and therefore are athletes in a professional sport but in the end its the mechanical body (the race car) that does the work.

However I guess the same argument could be put forward against equestrian events.

Nonetheless the sport only adheres to faster, not higher nor stronger. A good Olympic sport will attempt to fulfil all attributes set out by the Olympic motto.

Although road courses could be used it may be irresponsible for host cities to construct F1 circuits. Not only are they expensive and take up large areas of land, they are more than likely to become white horses following the games unless in a city that already hosts a round of the F1 or A1 series.

Verdict, its just not feasible, workable nor in line with what the Olympics are about.

Do you think Cambodia could put a car in the Olympic A1 or F1 competition? With no prize money on offer?

Not to mention motorized sports are forbidden under IOC charter.

Crashed ice is pretty much snowboard cross on hockey skates.

A lot of other sports can be considered 'viable.' The point is to fit them within the present 10,500 athlete ceiling # of beds, AND not to require new venues of prospective host cities. To achieve the first one, which of the other sports do you eliminate, and which federations can you request to stand down? :blink:

I´d eliminate Pentathlon and Westrling. Although they´re traditional sports, they are not so popular as they used to be decades ago and don´t get so much attention from the media and the public.

I believe that leaving two or three sports by the choice of the host nation would be great. We always would have something different to see in every OG, besides the traditional programme.

I´d eliminate Pentathlon and Westrling. Although they´re traditional sports, they are not so popular as they used to be decades ago and don´t get so much attention from the media and the public.

I believe that leaving two or three sports by the choice of the host nation would be great. We always would have something different to see in every OG, besides the traditional programme.

Roger, I didn't ask YOU in particular. You (nor I) have no say, so it would've been stupid for me to ask you that. It was phrased 'rhetorically.' Also, on the Pentathlon, they have tried to get rid of it; but they have NOT succeeded because:

1. It is one of the more traditional sports

2. it does NOT require NEW venues. It merely piggybacks on existing venues; and

3. Only about 65 pentathletes participate -- so that is NOT a huge inordinate number.

But again, I wasn't specifically asking you. :rolleyes:

I don't know where you get no governing body for sled racing, the IFSS is its body.

In regards to crashed ice, it would be put in with the ISU or the IIHF.

Snowboarding had no governing body, and still doesn't, going into the 1998 Olympics, it was included under FIS and still is, to the complaint of people like Burton and the American professional and video snowboarders that rarely compete in international snowboarding events outside of the US circuits that are not controlled by FIS.

I meant no governing body recognized by the IOC. As for Crashed Ice, they are held about two times a year. Its far from a circuit...

Oh, and for those that are wondering how it looks like:

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=oTRYyKmrADU&NR=1

Archived